F
3%

Total votes: 75

b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Re: Welcome Ricky Rubio 

Post#381 » by b-ball forever » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Good thing the FIBA WC is played in September.

Cuz if the tournament was before contract signing his value woulda been higher and likely cost more
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 357

Post#382 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Crives wrote:Can’t wait for that Ricky/Ayton pick and roll with Saric/Book spotting up.

I bet a lot of us had that thought. We have a legit floor general again. I'm waiting for people to start minimizing his performance. "yeah but..."
El Hespiritu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,192

Post#383 » by El Hespiritu » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Tankfest2018 wrote:
Crives wrote:Can’t wait for that Ricky/Ayton pick and roll with Saric/Book spotting up.

I bet a lot of us had that thought. We have a legit floor general again. I'm waiting for people to start minimizing his performance. "yeah but..."
Yeah but he doesn't jump inches enough to my taste when shooting.

Yeah but he sucks at the rim.

Yeah but he's a flopper.

Yeah but he speaks Catalan.

Yeah but he looks like Barnum Circus' Bearded Woman.

Just wait and see... they will come.
-I tell them: Gentlemen you desist. Your differences are bussiness of your own. We all must care this Refuge's harmony and decorum
-What if they don't listen?
-I kill them and throw them into the sea
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#384 » by Johnny Firpo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:59 am

Can't wait to watch the new Suns with him. If Booker buys into the team concept and the fact that Ricky needs the ball in his hand quite a bit, the Spaniard will actually help him get to the next level.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Post#385 » by Saberestar » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:48 pm

In eight games on the tournament, Rubio averaged 16.4 points, 6.0 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 1.5 steals while averaging 38.7% from beyond the arc.

Can he average around those numbers next season for the Suns? That would be huge.

If you think about it, we have only a couple of perimeter players that need the ball on their hands on offense (Rubio and Booker). Jerome is just a rookie. So there is a chance.

Ayton and Oubre are more finishers than creators. Saric can do a bit of everything.

Bridges, Cam, Baynes, Kaminsky...all of them usually play off the ball.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,724

Post#386 » by darmani » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Biff
Starter
And1: 1,168

Post#387 » by Biff » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Biff wrote:I've always thought Rubio was underrated. He plays the game the right away and does a lot of the little things that go unnoticed. The ultimate team player. I haven't understood the criticism the Suns have received regarding the contract they gave him. I thought it was our best move all offseason.

He's worth it if they allow him to control the ball and run the offense and Booker doesn't dominate the ball too much when Rubio is on the floor, rendering Rubio useless. That's the only reason I thought he might not be the best fit, is because Booker might dominate the ball too much. He should be good for everyone on the team when he handles the ball though and is solid defensively.

A fair point and I agree, he needs the ball in his hands to maximize his playmaking ability. Booker vastly improved his playmaking and passing but he still turns it over a bit too much. Rubio is a much better passer at this point. Hopefully Monty finds a good balance. I don't think Rubio was used very well in Utah and he was much more effective in Minnesota. Wiggins owes the dude a lot of money because once Rubio left he turned into a complete scrub.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#388 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Biff wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Biff wrote:I've always thought Rubio was underrated. He plays the game the right away and does a lot of the little things that go unnoticed. The ultimate team player. I haven't understood the criticism the Suns have received regarding the contract they gave him. I thought it was our best move all offseason.

He's worth it if they allow him to control the ball and run the offense and Booker doesn't dominate the ball too much when Rubio is on the floor, rendering Rubio useless. That's the only reason I thought he might not be the best fit, is because Booker might dominate the ball too much. He should be good for everyone on the team when he handles the ball though and is solid defensively.

A fair point and I agree, he needs the ball in his hands to maximize his playmaking ability. Booker vastly improved his playmaking and passing but he still turns it over a bit too much. Rubio is a much better passer at this point. Hopefully Monty finds a good balance. I don't think Rubio was used very well in Utah and he was much more effective in Minnesota. Wiggins owes the dude a lot of money because once Rubio left he turned into a complete scrub.

This will go both ways. Rubio should be the primary ball-handler, and Booker the secondary. Booker should not have to work as hard and get open looks with Rubio feeding him the ball. But if Rubio does not consistently get Booker the ball, there will be problems. Booker is still the star of this team and should be the primary scorer.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#389 » by bigfoot » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:09 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
Biff wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

This will go both ways. Rubio should be the primary ball-handler, and Booker the secondary. Booker should not have to work as hard and get open looks with Rubio feeding him the ball. But if Rubio does not consistently get Booker the ball, there will be problems. Booker is still the star of this team and should be the primary scorer.

Winning cures these problems
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#390 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:39 am

Booker will get his touches, don't you worry about that.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Biff
Starter

Post#391 » by Biff » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:00 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:
Biff wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Look at Wiggins' stats the last year Rubio was in Minnesota and then the following year. Dude dropped off big time. I think Booker is going to love playing with Rubio.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#392 » by In2ition » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Biff wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
Biff wrote:

Look at Wiggins' stats the last year Rubio was in Minnesota and then the following year. Dude dropped off big time. I think Booker is going to love playing with Rubio.

I'm hoping we can add Bridges, Oubre and Johnson to the list too.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#393 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:47 pm

The idea for Rubio would be 12p 12 a 5r 2s.

Let Book and Ayton score in the 20's and get Oubre and Bridges into the high teens.
Biff
Starter

Post#394 » by Biff » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:21 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:The idea for Rubio would be 12p 12 a 5r 2s.

Let Book and Ayton score in the 20's and get Oubre and Bridges into the high teens.

I agree, though 10 and 10 might be a bit more realistic. I'd love it if he has a kind of leap Nash took when he came to the Suns and surprised us all with a 12 and 12 season though.
Andri
Junior
And1: 244

Post#395 » by Andri » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 pm

Just for the lulz.

There is only one player in the history of NBA with that statline, achieved just for 1 season.

And it was some random guy called... Magic Johnson :D
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#396 » by bwgood77 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:10 pm

Andri wrote:

Just for the lulz.

There is only one player in the history of NBA with that statline, achieved just for 1 season.

Yeah, that's a tad unrealistic.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#397 » by RiRuHoops » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:40 pm

Andri wrote:

Just for the lulz.

Rubio isn't some random guy though. He's a reigning World's MVP so put some respek on it here. Anyway I think 12 ppg a tad too low. I'd up it to 14, drop assists to 10 or 11, rebs to 4 and steals to 1.5.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#398 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:23 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:
Andri wrote:

Just for the lulz.

Rubio isn't some random guy though. He's a reigning World's MVP so put some respek on it here. Anyway I think 12 ppg a tad too low. I'd up it to 14, drop assists to 10 or 11, rebs to 4 and steals to 1.5.

13 ppg, 8 apg, 4 rpg, 2 spg, 3 topg
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#399 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:53 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Andri wrote:

Just for the lulz.

Yeah, that's a tad unrealistic.

Ok. Drop the rebounds to 3. Wasn’t really focused on that number anyway.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#400 » by LesGrossman » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:04 am

As i said before, the biggest things he'll do for this team are not reflected in any of those numbers. Measure his contribution in one relevant stat: W/L.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.

Return to Phoenix Suns