Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1681 » by Sauce Boss » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
crkone wrote:Another day, another first party game of the year contender for Nintendo.

Eh. I wouldn't say the reviews suggest it's a GOTY contender. But they do suggest a great game.

Can a GOTY be a pretty much straight-up remake? Seems unfair to original content, IMO.

I really really want to buy it because I never played the original. I just don't know if I should drop $60 on it.

I’ll let you know. Link’s Awakening was my first Zelda game as a kid, and it’s an important game to me as a formative piece of my youth. I pre-ordered it without hesitation, so I’ll have it tomorrow and give it a whirl.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,741

Post#1682 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:53 am

Underrated thing in Borderlands is shooting off the head of a Goliath, retreating, letting him kill everything and gaining serious levels, and then wiping him out for great loot. I love it every time I see a Goliath.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,587

Post#1683 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:56 am

humanrefutation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
crkone wrote:Another day, another first party game of the year contender for Nintendo.

Eh. I wouldn't say the reviews suggest it's a GOTY contender. But they do suggest a great game.

Can a GOTY be a pretty much straight-up remake? Seems unfair to original content, IMO.

I really really want to buy it because I never played the original. I just don't know if I should drop $60 on it.

I've thought about this too, especially with FF7R coming out next year. My initial reaction is that a true, full-fledged remake would qualify. I think it's a big difference from remasters or remakes that fall closer to that classification. But I haven't thought about it too much.

I haven't played or studied-up on Zelda too much, but for FF7R, pretty much everything other than story is re-done. It's going to be one of the biggest games of this generation (literally). With that much recreated content, as well as new content, my initial instinct is that it should qualify. Zelda would too if it's similar.

My two cents and just initial reaction.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#1684 » by humanrefutation » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:06 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:

I've thought about this too, especially with FF7R coming out next year. My initial reaction is that a true, full-fledged remake would qualify. I think it's a big difference from remasters or remakes that fall closer to that classification. But I haven't thought about it too much.

I haven't played or studied-up on Zelda too much, but for FF7R, pretty much everything other than story is re-done. It's going to be one of the biggest games of this generation (literally). With that much recreated content, as well as new content, my initial instinct is that it should qualify. Zelda would too if it's similar.

From what I've been reading, Link's Awakening is pretty much a straight up remaster just with updated graphics and some mechanical improvements. The side-by-sides I saw on Kotaku made it look like it was almost exactly the same shot-for-shot.

You could make the argument that the original came out a couple decades ago so it's a new audience playing it?
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,567

Post#1685 » by TroyD92 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:47 pm

I haven't seriously been hyped for a game since probably KH3 (due to nostalgia), but FF7 is doing everything it can to make it to my most hyped list.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1686 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:20 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

From what I've been reading, Link's Awakening is pretty much a straight up remaster just with updated graphics and some mechanical improvements. The side-by-sides I saw on Kotaku made it look like it was almost exactly the same shot-for-shot.

You could make the argument that the original came out a couple decades ago so it's a new audience playing it?

You can't even do that. When I started reading reviews I was kinda startled by the number of reviewers who said they played it before and know it by heart, etc. I remember much of the original, but I was 12 when I first played it. So I was super confused. Then I found out there's been two updated versions since then. Zelda fans have been playing the 2011 version.

If you really wanted to you could just download a ROM and an emulator and essentially play the same game, albeit without the quality of life improvements and artwork of the new game.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1687 » by crkone » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:22 pm

I think any game (remake, re-release, etc) should have a chance at being name GOTY if it was released the year of the award. Link's Awakening is getting good enough reviews to warrant being a contender. If it won GOTY, that means it was an excellent remake/re-release and/or there were pretty bad games that came out that year. I mean what are the other contenders so far? Sekiro, RE2, BL3, and maybe DMC5?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1688 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Control's probably the favorite as of now.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#1689 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:46 pm

I think if it's that enjoyable for so many people and at least the visuals were basically rendered from scratch, then it absolutely should be in consideration for all the major gaming awards. But if anything, it just speaks to the startling lack of original titles in the gaming industry right now.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,357

Post#1690 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:57 pm

Also, if they were gonna remaster/remake a Zelda game, I'm a little peeved that it wasn't the GOAT Zelda game (Link to the Past).
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1691 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:24 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Also, if they were gonna remaster/remake a Zelda game, I'm a little peeved that it wasn't the GOAT Zelda game (Link to the Past).

I don't think there's anything there to remaster or remake. The graphics and animation hold up.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#1692 » by crkone » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Also, if they were gonna remaster/remake a Zelda game, I'm a little peeved that it wasn't the GOAT Zelda game (Link to the Past).

I don't think there's anything there to remaster or remake. The graphics and animation hold up.

Funny enough it's also huge in the speedrunning community since it can be randomized. The new hotness is multiworld randomizer. This is where you co-op the game with one to up an unlimited amount of people. Items necessary to progress (bow, swords, flute) are randomly placed in your or your partners' game so you can only proceed if the people you are playing with got an item you are waiting on. You can also randomize entrances to any interior area so like the main entrance to Hyrule Castle may take you to Desert Palace or Spike Cave. All of the items and entrances obey logic so you'll never not be able to beat the game. It may just take 7 hours. Multiworld actually started with Ocarina of Time. There's another multiworld that combines A Link to the Past with Super Metroid where you're able to go between worlds in the game to find items that help you in either game.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Commenter
Sophomore
And1: 188

Post#1693 » by Commenter » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:41 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Control's probably the favorite as of now.

was thinking about checking that out this weekend!
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,884

Post#1694 » by humanrefutation » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:55 pm

I pretty much finished Spider-Man last night. Got through the main story and have finished all of the side missions I find interesting. There is some DLC content I could mess around with, too.

But I think I'm going to do something I've been meaning to do for a year+ now - go back and play some more Breath of the Wild. I'm sure there's much I need to be refreshed on in terms of how to play, but I think It'll be worth it from my point of view.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1695 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:25 pm

OMFG the Pipe Bomb :rofl2:
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#1696 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:55 am

Playing 32 vs 32 in COD with tanks and helicopters is pretty crazy.
#FreeChuckDiesel
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,904

Post#1697 » by stellation » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:26 am

Ignoring the push for in game purchases, My Career mode in 2k20 is significantly improved from when I last played it (2k18). Gameplay is much better and (gracefully) a shorter initial story with skipping of cutscenes.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#1698 » by Sauce Boss » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:42 pm

I’ve played about three hours of Link’s Awakening and I’ll say that your mileage may vary.

I’m close to starting dungeon #3 and I love it. It’s a beautiful remake of a game that I have nostalgia for with a few QoL tweaks that makes it hold up today. It feels good, it sounds good, it plays great. It’s a modern take on the top down Zelda style that helped me fall in love with video games 20 years ago. If you want an easy to pickup Zelda game, it’s perfect for you.

My concern for someone buying it without ever playing the original is that they might blast through it in 8hrs. I don’t think that means it’s not worth $60, but if your expectation is looking to get say the same amount of content that Borderlands 3 gives you for $60, you’ll be disappointed. I think that is an apples vs oranges comparison, two totally different games, but if you maybe only buy a game once every three months and you want to milk that game for every drop of content that it has for months, then get Breath of the Wild or something else.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#1699 » by StickeeFingaz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:08 pm

RS, how are you playing Zane? Just started a new game with him today. What action skill do you use the most? Do you equip two action skills and remove grenades?
#FreeChuckDiesel
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1700 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:21 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:RS, how are you playing Zane? Just started a new game with him today. What action skill do you use the most? Do you equip two action skills and remove grenades?

This was my path.

Put 4/5 into Violent Momentum, 3/5 into Adrenaline, and 1/3 into Hearty Stock. Then filled out my Digi-Clone tree.

It's worked fine for me but I did feel like I wasn't getting much from it early on in the game. If I had it to do over again I'd research it more to find optimal builds. This was just one I randomly came up with.

For example, the Pipe Bomb is so OP right now that it's basically a must-have. But you can't get it until around level 24 if you're on a new character. I think knowing what I know now I'd forget the points I put into the SNTNL and dump them into another tree. Then again, you can always re-spec. But I do love the Digiclone tree.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks