ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1481 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:15 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:I dont remember him ever having incredible burst or hangtime. I do think he looked a step slow, but dont know how much of it was physical/mental.

But i do think it looked like he spent the entire time he was hurt in the weight room, and was maybe a little bulkier than he was used to being.

Watch his highlights from his last season in Utah. Dude was dunking all over people and his change of pace was fantastic.

I don’t know if it was ever “incredible”, but he was a good athlete and able to jet by people and get to the rim.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1482 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:32 pm

I dont mean to say he wasnt a good athlete. But i dont think explosiveness was his best attribute. He had solid handles, a good court vision, physical strength, size, and yes, decent athleticism too. I just watched some videos as FEZ suggested, and there was definitely a sneaky explosiveness

All of those solid attributes combined made him very formidable. He was expert at knowing himself, his body and how to maximize his ability. It was a delicate balance, and that balance was off.

I agree that that our lack of cohesion and his unselfish nature hurt him as well. I honestly dont know what to expect next year, but i hope for the best.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#1483 » by Triple7 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:23 am

5InOfLouisville wrote:I dont mean to say he wasnt a good athlete. But i dont think explosiveness was his best attribute. He had solid handles, a good court vision, physical strength, size, and yes, decent athleticism too. I just watched some videos as FEZ suggested, and there was definitely a sneaky explosiveness

All of those solid attributes combined made him very formidable. He was expert at knowing himself, his body and how to maximize his ability. It was a delicate balance, and that balance was off.

I agree that that our lack of cohesion and his unselfish nature hurt him as well. I honestly dont know what to expect next year, but i hope for the best.

I’d rather have unselfish players, than what we have last season, with a bunch of chuckers. Hayward was a bit passive due to confidence problem coming back from a long rehab process. Plus it’s in his nature to playmake as well, but he can be aggressive on offense if he wants to. I expect him to assert himself more next season. Pre-injury hayward, could be our best player next season, unless Tatum elevates himself. I’m excited for next season. Last season was a disaster. There are some games where we played unselfish basketball, even handling a complete warriors team on of their worst loses last season, then all of a sudden, we’re back to chucking, me first basketball. no continuity. Next season should be fun. I think they would legitimately want to play and like each other. Evident of the recent bonding in the world cup.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1484 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:24 am

Does anyone think Smart, Langford, Jaylen, Tatum, Grant and Rob Williams are potentially a championship core?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#1485 » by Parliament10 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:01 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Does anyone think Smart, Langford, Jaylen, Tatum, Grant and Rob Williams are potentially a championship core?

Throw Kemba in there, and perhaps an 8th-Man, and for sure. It has the makings of a Championship team.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#1486 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:01 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Does anyone think Smart, Langford, Jaylen, Tatum, Grant and Rob Williams are potentially a championship core?

Only if they can muster a swarming defense, and I wonder whether Tatum is too cool to swarm.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1487 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:29 am

Parliament10 wrote:

Throw Kemba in there, and perhaps an 8th-Man, and for sure. It has the makings of a Championship team.

Yea, I can see that, obviously I feel like guys such as LBJ and Kawhi, maybe Steph, Durant will fade a bit in the next 2, max 3 years, all of them have decent mileage on them except for Kawhi, but Kawhi has that chronic quad injury(was it quad?).
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#1488 » by Triple7 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Yea, I can see that, obviously I feel like guys such as LBJ and Kawhi, maybe Steph, Durant will fade a bit in the next 2, max 3 years, all of them have decent mileage on them except for Kawhi, but Kawhi has that chronic quad injury(was it quad?).

I was hoping for a core of Kemba, Brown, Tatum and Smart as the 6th man. If jaylen and JT takes a leap, we can be serious contenders in 2 years. They both have the tools to do it, both long and athletic.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,543

Post#1489 » by The Corey's » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:55 am

Of course not.

We in it for the long haul now.
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#1490 » by C-West » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:41 am

Maybe. A lot of “if” in there. But I know that a team with a really good point guard/center combo would be a problem for our lineup there.
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#1491 » by C-West » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:43 am

5InOfLouisville wrote:I dont mean to say he wasnt a good athlete. But i dont think explosiveness was his best attribute. He had solid handles, a good court vision, physical strength, size, and yes, decent athleticism too. I just watched some videos as FEZ suggested, and there was definitely a sneaky explosiveness

In terms of run, jump, lateral, quicks, explosiveness athleticism, isn’t Gordon about the same, or maybe better, than Jimmy Butler? That’s pretty good.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#1492 » by 5InOfLouisville » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:58 am

I think butler is more explosive and quicker laterally but to be fair, I haven’t done extensive comps
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1493 » by 100proof » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:49 pm

C-West wrote:

In terms of run, jump, lateral, quicks, explosiveness athleticism, isn’t Gordon about the same, or maybe better, than Jimmy Butler? That’s pretty good.

Not sure if he was ever on butler's level.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1494 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:02 pm

C-West wrote:

Maybe. A lot of “if” in there. But I know that a team with a really good point guard/center combo would be a problem for our lineup there.

Wouldn’t Smart and Williams be ideal stoppers for a point guard/center duo? Who else would you want to put on Murray/Jokic?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1495 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:52 pm

The Corey's wrote:

Of course not.

We in it for the long haul now.

I’m surprised you’re the only one who said no - I thought the responses would all be “no way”..

If we’re lucky, sure.. you need Tatum to become a superstar, a go-to scorer, you need Langford or Tatum to be 2 or 1B, and Williams to reach his Capela+ ceiling..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1496 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:55 pm

Some writer-blogger apparently suggested Hayward to Cleveland for Clarkson/TT.. no way I’d do it, *but* it’s the kind of return you might be able to flip in a multi-team trade if the market breaks right..
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#1497 » by mg » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Some writer-blogger apparently suggested Hayward to Cleveland for Clarkson/TT.. no way I’d do it, *but* it’s the kind of return you might be able to flip in a multi-team trade if the market breaks right..

Meh..I'm expecting GH could very well be shopped during the season and this would be the type of return Ainge would likely get in return. No team is giving up real prospects or picks tbh.

Those expecting any type of big package for GH will probably be disappointed. JC/TT are both fairly useful on expiring contracts. Clarkson is a bit of a chucker but the dude can score and could play a bench role until Langford is ready. C's obviously need another big and TT usually steps up in the playoffs..at least he did during the Lebron years in Cleveland as he outhustled Horford in the posteason. Danny could probably re-sign them fairly cheaply next summer or preferably use the $ to resign Jaylen. Of course I think Jaylen and obviously Tatum need to be the starting wings next to Kemba/Smart so I'm fine dealing GH for expiring parts at some point that could be useful roleplayers. I'm not sure Brad will use GH in the right role for this team. Kinda sucks the Hayward era is turning out this way but at least Ainge took his FA shot.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1498 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:32 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Some writer-blogger apparently suggested Hayward to Cleveland for Clarkson/TT.. no way I’d do it, *but* it’s the kind of return you might be able to flip in a multi-team trade if the market breaks right..

Gross. Tristan Thompson might not even report. That dude is waiting for a buyout so he can join Lebron in LA. Dude wants to be close to his kid. And no words need to be said about Jordan Clarkson.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1499 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Both Thompson and Clarskon are worthless. One is a very limited 6'8 big man whos good at rebounding, the other is a chucker who cant defend for ****. I wouldnt do that, ever. Theres no value in it, wed literally be helping the Cavs for nothing.

Id take the PG picm wr gave them tho and a first for Hayward. I like the kid they selected. Everything else is outrageous.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#1500 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:38 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:

Both Thompson and Clarskon are worthless. One is a very limited 6'8 big man whos good at rebounding, the other is a chucker who cant defend for ****. I wouldnt do that, ever. Theres no value in it, wed literally be helping the Cavs for nothing.

Id take the PG picm wr gave them tho and a first for Hayward. I like the kid they selected. Everything else is outrageous.

Right, but the hope would be that some third or fourth team values them, as expirings, as help for a playoff run, or even just as players. Just saying it’s something to monitor.

Return to Boston Celtics