Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Vlatko Cancar 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:45 pm

https://www.nba.com/amp/nuggets/news/denver-nuggets-sign-vlatko-cancar-20190802

Welcome to Denver where you will need to fight for minutes on a team crowded with young forwards struggling to get PT.

I like his skill set and see him as a nice bench player for Denver - and see him likely to remain with Denver since his skill set is quite a bit different from Grant & Vanderbilt & Porter & Craig. With Millsap still here, those forward minutes are going to be hard to come by.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Re: Vlatko Cancar 

Post#2 » by Coeur » Sat Aug 3, 2019 2:10 am

How big is this guy?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#3 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:11 am

about the height of Jokic but much lighter
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#4 » by THE J0KER » Sun Aug 4, 2019 12:10 am

Cancar height is more close to MPJ or former Nuggets Lyles/Gallinari height than to Jokic.

Denver right now have too many forwards, but already next season it may change with Millsap, Grant, Juancho expiring (+ Beasley and Plumlee which can play some F-backup minutes).

I see him right now like some kind of 2020+ cheap roster assurance.

There are two things which can significantly improve Cancar value in Denver:
- improved 3pt% shooting. He needs at least 35%+ 3pt percentage, and he was never that good even with FIBA/NCAA threes so far.
- If he can play with that height equally good at SF in NBA
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#5 » by Coeur » Sun Aug 4, 2019 3:53 am

Cancar ans Craig are my two picks at way out playing projections. Of course w cancar that may mean barely playing but proving to be a part for the future. I think it might end up more than that even early on
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#6 » by The Rebel » Fri Sep 6, 2019 10:31 pm

Cancar is 6'11" according to google, and by the eye test in the summer league I would say that is probably the right height. I personally think the plan is for him to be our backup Center a year from now. With having to re-sign Beasley, Juancho, Grant, and possibly Craig there is not going to be the money to bring back Plumlee for anywhere close to what he is currently getting.

I think both Cancar and Bol will be given the chance to develop this year and compete for the backiup Center role. Both have the game so you do not have to change the entire system when Jokic leaves the court.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#7 » by skywalker33 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:43 am

If Cancar and/or Bol show anything backing up Jokic, I can see Plumlee getting traded at the deadline. His World Cup invitation doesn't hurt his value either and it's not like we can afford to miss out on an opportunity to restock some draft picks with as many as we've traded away.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 7, 2019 3:09 pm

skywalker33 wrote:If Cancar and/or Bol show anything backing up Jokic, I can see Plumlee getting traded at the deadline. His World Cup invitation doesn't hurt his value either and it's not like we can afford to miss out on an opportunity to restock some draft picks with as many as we've traded away.

I really do not see salary dumping Plumlee this year. Whether anybody agrees or not, I think the front office thinks this is our year to move firmly into contender and with the league being so wide open right now I can see the argument.

What I can see happening is if Cancar shows he is capable of being a good backup Center and Barton is struggling to fit in, than I can see Plumlee and Barton being used in a deal for a starting SF. Especially if MPJ is still dealing with injuries and Juancho struggles again.

While Bulls fans insist that Otto Porter JR is in their long term plans, I can see Chicago moving him if they are struggling this year again. His deal expires this year and if they are not bringing him back there is no reason to keep him if they are missing the playoffs and he indicates he does not want to re-sign.

I can also see Hayward being on the market as well and considering the timeline of recovery from guys like George this should be the year he returns to all star level. The Celtics though have the young guys at SF and only Kanter as a Center, I could see them being interested in a bench scorer and backup C for their playoff run. The issue is that would put us into the luxury tax next year or we lose some of the young guys.

The entire key is going to be Cancar early in the season and Bol actually being productive in the Gleague. If Cancar is as good as I think he is, than it would make a lot of sense to go get a proven SF if we have nobody that steps up early.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#9 » by TunaFish » Sat Sep 7, 2019 8:09 pm

The Rebel wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:If Cancar and/or Bol show anything backing up Jokic, I can see Plumlee getting traded at the deadline. His World Cup invitation doesn't hurt his value either and it's not like we can afford to miss out on an opportunity to restock some draft picks with as many as we've traded away.

I really do not see salary dumping Plumlee this year. Whether anybody agrees or not, I think the front office thinks this is our year to move firmly into contender and with the league being so wide open right now I can see the argument.

What I can see happening is if Cancar shows he is capable of being a good backup Center and Barton is struggling to fit in, than I can see Plumlee and Barton being used in a deal for a starting SF. Especially if MPJ is still dealing with injuries and Juancho struggles again.

While Bulls fans insist that Otto Porter JR is in their long term plans, I can see Chicago moving him if they are struggling this year again. His deal expires this year and if they are not bringing him back there is no reason to keep him if they are missing the playoffs and he indicates he does not want to re-sign.

I can also see Hayward being on the market as well and considering the timeline of recovery from guys like George this should be the year he returns to all star level. The Celtics though have the young guys at SF and only Kanter as a Center, I could see them being interested in a bench scorer and backup C for their playoff run. The issue is that would put us into the luxury tax next year or we lose some of the young guys.

The entire key is going to be Cancar early in the season and Bol actually being productive in the Gleague. If Cancar is as good as I think he is, than it would make a lot of sense to go get a proven SF if we have nobody that steps up early.

That's a great argument for Cancar with a lot ifs. I don't think Cancar is as much a key as Porter is. MPJ's ceiling seems much higher; although Cancar could surprise. I am in that small group that thinks MPJ is about to became a fixture in the forward rotation.

I know its early but from what I saw of Cancar in summer league he appeared promising, well coached. Wouldn't it be great if they were both part of the forward rotation.
Canned in Denver.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 7, 2019 9:27 pm

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

That's a great argument for Cancar with a lot ifs. I don't think Cancar is as much a key as Porter is. MPJ's ceiling seems much higher; although Cancar could surprise. I am in that small group that thinks MPJ is about to became a fixture in the forward rotation.

I know its early but from what I saw of Cancar in summer league he appeared promising, well coached. Wouldn't it be great if they were both part of the forward rotation.

That's the thing, I do not see Cancar as a forward at all, I see him as a backup Center. Watching summer league he played a lot of minutes at SF, driving on SFs and SGs, and doing it well enough to force the Celtics to double team him. He also was a good passer for a big, and a good perimeter defender, but he is not a post up guy nor a rim protector. With our backup PFs being Grant and VAnderbilt, I think he fits perfectly as our backup to Jokic long term. We do not have to change the system with him on the court and we are not going to run into teams just sagging off him and daring us to beat them with jumpshots as what happened with Plumlee in the playoffs.

I am excited to see what we have with MPJ, but I am not sold that he can ever stay healthy. In a perfect world he is healthy and our starting SF by the time the playoffs arrive and Cancar has proven to be a good backup C allowing us to salary dump Plumlee. We have all been Nuggets fans long enough to know that idea is unlikely. I also do not trust Juancho to stay healthy, and am convinced that the changes we saw in Barton at the end of 2018 was a contract year type of change that he is not going to stick to. Hence why I believe we still need a Starting SF if we are going to contend.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#11 » by TunaFish » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:17 am

The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

That's the thing, I do not see Cancar as a forward at all, I see him as a backup Center. Watching summer league he played a lot of minutes at SF, driving on SFs and SGs, and doing it well enough to force the Celtics to double team him. He also was a good passer for a big, and a good perimeter defender, but he is not a post up guy nor a rim protector. With our backup PFs being Grant and VAnderbilt, I think he fits perfectly as our backup to Jokic long term. We do not have to change the system with him on the court and we are not going to run into teams just sagging off him and daring us to beat them with jumpshots as what happened with Plumlee in the playoffs.

I am excited to see what we have with MPJ, but I am not sold that he can ever stay healthy. In a perfect world he is healthy and our starting SF by the time the playoffs arrive and Cancar has proven to be a good backup C allowing us to salary dump Plumlee. We have all been Nuggets fans long enough to know that idea is unlikely. I also do not trust Juancho to stay healthy, and am convinced that the changes we saw in Barton at the end of 2018 was a contract year type of change that he is not going to stick to. Hence why I believe we still need a Starting SF if we are going to contend.

Its an interesting idea alright. If Cancar does blow up into a solid big, who can play both center and power forward positions then you still might have reason to keep him at power forward. The Nuggets may have a big hole to fill at the end of the season. Suppose Millsap moves on. Suppose Grant moves on for more money. I see both Bol and Cancar as power forwards in the future if that happens. I see Hernangomez (looking good in FIBA) and Porter at the small forward. Morris, Beasley and Craig are resigned for the bench using some of the money from the Millsap release.

The team might actually like having Plumlee around to anchor the bench and prevent teams from overpowering them at the center position when Jokic sits. Of course Plumlee may also leave in free agency. Having Cancar and Bol around may solve more than one problem.
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Sun Sep 8, 2019 2:37 am

Google also lists Cancar at 201lbs, not exactly a fit at C right now. He and Bol need a regular scheduled dinner date at the Golden Corral and make it a contest.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by The Rebel » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:56 pm

TunaFish wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
TunaFish wrote:

Its an interesting idea alright. If Cancar does blow up into a solid big, who can play both center and power forward positions then you still might have reason to keep him at power forward. The Nuggets may have a big hole to fill at the end of the season. Suppose Millsap moves on. Suppose Grant moves on for more money. I see both Bol and Cancar as power forwards in the future if that happens. I see Hernangomez (looking good in FIBA) and Porter at the small forward. Morris, Beasley and Craig are resigned for the bench using some of the money from the Millsap release.

The team might actually like having Plumlee around to anchor the bench and prevent teams from overpowering them at the center position when Jokic sits. Of course Plumlee may also leave in free agency. Having Cancar and Bol around may solve more than one problem.

I think we are on the same page with everything but Plumlee, I think the front office and Josh Kroenke loved him almost as much as Malone prior to the playoffs. If you go back and watch, Plumlee was destroyed in both series, he was manhandled by Aldridge, Poeltl, Collins, and Kanter while also struggling to keep up with Gay or whoever else teams were throwing at PF to spread the floor. Then on offense teams were not even pretending to guard him 5 feet from the basket or further out. They just sagged way off and into the paint. I said right after the playoffs that the 2 guys I am most disappointed in were Plumlee and Barton, and I cannot see how the front office at least did not see what I saw.

That being said we have no better option until proven otherwise and Cancar and Bol Bol both have to prove otherwise at this point.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by The Rebel » Sun Sep 8, 2019 1:58 pm

skywalker33 wrote:Google also lists Cancar at 201lbs, not exactly a fit at C right now. He and Bol need a regular scheduled dinner date at the Golden Corral and make it a contest.

There was no way that Cancar was 201 LBs in summer league, even last summer he was bigger than that. Don't get me wrong he can stand to gain some muscle, but he is not a twig. If I had to guess he was likely closer to 240-250.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#15 » by THE J0KER » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Denver Nuggets’ Tim Connelly: Vlatko Čančar will surprise people

To be very honest, I can't see it. At least not in his rookie season. Maybe I'm too much obsessed with my own vision of how he should be used in Denver where 3pt shooting has a key role, and he is arguably still not 3pt%35%+ ready according to his Spanish league numbers. And his role as defensive specialist in a team which already have Millsap. Grant, JV, and Plumlee at big man positions is not an option if you ask me.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:27 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Denver Nuggets’ Tim Connelly: Vlatko Čančar will surprise people

To be very honest, I can't see it. At least not in his rookie season. Maybe I'm too much obsessed with my own vision of how he should be used in Denver where 3pt shooting has a key role, and he is arguably still not 3pt%35%+ ready according to his Spanish league numbers. And his role as defensive specialist in a team which already have Millsap. Grant, JV, and Plumlee at big man positions is not an option if you ask me.

Plumlee and Millsap both struggle to guard guys on the perimeter, I can see Cancar being given spot minutes against some of these teams with the good scoring undersized PFs and SFs where we just need a 3rd or 4th defender to throw at them for a few minutes.

I do agree that Cancar has to improve his shooting to get regular minutes, but right now he is at least enough of a threat to force teams to defend him on the perimeter.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#17 » by XTraderXL » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:01 pm

The Rebel wrote:Cancar is 6'11" according to google, and by the eye test in the summer league I would say that is probably the right height. I personally think the plan is for him to be our backup Center a year from now. With having to re-sign Beasley, Juancho, Grant, and possibly Craig there is not going to be the money to bring back Plumlee for anywhere close to what he is currently getting.

I think both Cancar and Bol will be given the chance to develop this year and compete for the backiup Center role. Both have the game so you do not have to change the entire system when Jokic leaves the court.

Mate, you are way off here. Cancar is a SF, maybe a PF in small ball and is 6-9. There is no way he will ever play center.
skywalker33

Post#18 » by skywalker33 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:18 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
The Rebel wrote:Cancar is 6'11" according to google, and by the eye test in the summer league I would say that is probably the right height. I personally think the plan is for him to be our backup Center a year from now. With having to re-sign Beasley, Juancho, Grant, and possibly Craig there is not going to be the money to bring back Plumlee for anywhere close to what he is currently getting.

Mate, you are way off here. Cancar is a SF, maybe a PF in small ball and is 6-9. There is no way he will ever play center.

What makes you come all the way from Australia to say that ?? Certainly looked 6'11" to me in SL and I seriously doubt he can play SF in the NBA against quicker SF's...and to say at 6-9 he'd be playing SMALL-ball PF is kinda moronic, kinda defeats the idea of SMALL-ball doesn't it ??

Is that just your opinion or do you have something to base this off of ?

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:10 pm

XTraderXL wrote:

The guy was the tallest person on the court several times in the summer league and yet he is only 6'9"? I can read what his height was in the predraft measurements as well, but I know the idea is shocking, some people continue to grow until they are 22 years old, and according to Google and the eye test I am sure he is one of them.

He is also not a SF in the NBA, if you think he is than you need to watch some tape of him.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#20 » by XTraderXL » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:10 pm

You have seen him in the summer league for a few games and are now experts on Cancar. 6-11 and playing center? You couldnt be more wrong on both. I recommend watching actual games (not just summer league) and not depend on google info on him. Both of you look like clowns in this case;-)

Return to Denver Nuggets