ImageImage

OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 - ESPN/Fox/Warner Launching Combined Sports Streamer

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: OT: Cutting the Cord 2.0 The Tutorial 

Post#681 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 pm

humanrefutation wrote:After wrapping up my trials of YTV and PS Vue, I spent the last couple days thinking about whether to just ditch cable and switch to one of them. Called U-Verse to cancel my service, got $30 knocked off my bill, and so I'm going to stick with them for a while longer.

Yup, same thing happened to me with DirecTV. I'll see if I can pull it off again at the end of the year.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,415

Post#682 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:33 pm

Sometimes you have to play Customer Service roulette. If one can't help you hang up and call again to talk with someone else. Ask to talk to a supervisor and/or retention. I've also found, with Uverse anyway, to have really good results with online chat. My internet + TV is such a good deal I'm sticking with them. I'm also not a fan of 100% streaming.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,016

Post#683 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:41 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Sometimes you have to play Customer Service roulette. If one can't help you hang up and call again to talk with someone else. Ask to talk to a supervisor and/or retention. I've also found, with Uverse anyway, to have really good results with online chat. My internet + TV is such a good deal I'm sticking with them. I'm also not a fan of 100% streaming.

They tried talking me into an internet and tv bundle, but their internet is still too slow here. 25mbps max. Spectrum gets me 200mbps.

Once they expand their fiber optic options in Madison - they're just starting to lay down cable in some parts of the city - I'll hop on that real quick.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#684 » by humanrefutation » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:01 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

There are so many services now and most have a lot of good content. At the end of the day it's going to get expensive and/or you have to leave some content off.

Right now I have Uverse (great price), Sling for 4 months (because Uverse dropped NFLN and RZ), Netflix and Prime. I have no interest in Disney. Apple is of interest as some of their announced original (they will only have original) content sounds good and it's only $5.

Some of those streaming services overlap above, but yeah, it is the inevitable consequence of Netflix's successes - and ironically, the rise of these new streaming services that inevitably will pull their catalogues from Netflix will make Netflix a much dicier service to justify spending money on. They basically opened the door and are at risk of being trampled by everyone else.

I've got UVerse U200 + HBO, Netflix (split it with family), Prime, Hulu with commercials is built into my Spotify subscription, ESPN+, NBC Sports Gold (for soccer) and Disney+. I think if I do the math, I end up spending about $130 a month those services. If I cut the cord and went with YouTube TV, I'd probably save $20 a month. That isn't enough to justify the switch right now.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Post#685 » by Howard Mass » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:35 pm

emunney wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:
That was another one I was looking for - both PS Vue (Core for $55/mo or higher packages) and YouTube TV both have it. Hulu not having AMC was the main reason I ruled it out... although I should probably just punt Walking Dead and move on with my life.

Crap.

No AMC (Better Call Saul) is a deal breaker for me.

Another factor to consider.

Thanks!

You should price it out, because if BCS is the only AMC show you watch, you might be better off just buying it from a VOD service.

That is an option too.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
BucksBrew
Junior
And1: 112

Post#686 » by BucksBrew » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:So Vue includes Fox Sports North? Considering dropping DirecTV and getting their core package and getting CBS All Access and ESPN+ to compliment. If we can dvr, I could probably drop Hulu since Vue would have ABC, FOX, and NBC.

Yes FSN is on Vue
Blame Rasho wrote:It is the same circle jerk fans like always going on and on and the sad part is that they don't even realize how pathetic they sound to a neutral fan.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 990

Post#687 » by Ryan5UW » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:38 pm

I've been talking to a friend at work about dropping cable and the options I was looking at, and he mentioned that a buddy has Vue and he noticed it seemed to buffer from time to time. I kind of played it off as probably their internet. This morning I signed up for trials of Vue and YouTube TV and sure enough - Vue would momentarily buffer from time to time during the Badger game. No issue like that at all from YouTube during the game. I have Charter internet, have zero issues streaming 4k content, so it's not my internet connection. Anyone else have that type of experience with Vue?
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,061

Post#688 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:I've been talking to a friend at work about dropping cable and the options I was looking at, and he mentioned that a buddy has Vue and he noticed it seemed to buffer from time to time. I kind of played it off as probably their internet. This morning I signed up for trials of Vue and YouTube TV and sure enough - Vue would momentarily buffer from time to time during the Badger game. No issue like that at all from YouTube during the game. I have Charter internet, have zero issues streaming 4k content, so it's not my internet connection. Anyone else have that type of experience with Vue?

I want to get PS Vue Core package but I've heard the same thing from 1 other that it isn't always stable. So I'm nervous to go with them too. YouTubeTV doesnt have Hallmark channel which for my wife is likely a deal breaker. Although there appears to be a Hallmark Movie stand alone channel for 5.99/month.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#689 » by crkone » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
Ryan5UW wrote:I've been talking to a friend at work about dropping cable and the options I was looking at, and he mentioned that a buddy has Vue and he noticed it seemed to buffer from time to time. I kind of played it off as probably their internet. This morning I signed up for trials of Vue and YouTube TV and sure enough - Vue would momentarily buffer from time to time during the Badger game. No issue like that at all from YouTube during the game. I have Charter internet, have zero issues streaming 4k content, so it's not my internet connection. Anyone else have that type of experience with Vue?

I want to get PS Vue Core package but I've heard the same thing from 1 other that it isn't always stable. So I'm nervous to go with them too. YouTubeTV doesnt have Hallmark channel which for my wife is likely a deal breaker. Although there appears to be a Hallmark Movie stand alone channel for 5.99/month.
That may be the first deal-breaker of its kind.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,813

Post#690 » by RubberSoul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:

Same for my wife don’t feel too isolated! Also the stand alone channel (at least as of last year when we tried this) only has older movies so that didn’t work for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#691 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

RubberSoul wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:

Same for my wife don’t feel too isolated! Also the stand alone channel (at least as of last year when we tried this) only has older movies so that didn’t work for her.

Good to know. I dont think that would work either. Damn.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#692 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Many of you have no buffering issues but I know many who do. That's a no go for me for live sports.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#693 » by Thunder Muscle » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:24 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Many of you have no buffering issues but I know many who do. That's a no go for me for live sports.

Same here. One of my biggest reservations for switching.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#694 » by humanrefutation » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:43 pm

I definitely had buffering issues with Vue. None with YTTV.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#695 » by skones » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:39 am

Chromecast + Reddit for sports, that's all I'm going to say. I don't understand why you guys flip the bill for this stuff.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#696 » by LittleRooster » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 pm

I went to get out of my spectrum deal but if i cancel my cable the internet itself will cost me 80-90 bucks!? So I feel stuck and don’t know what to do

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#697 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 pm

LittleRooster wrote:I went to get out of my spectrum deal but if i cancel my cable the internet itself will cost me 80-90 bucks!? So I feel stuck and don’t know what to do

Yeah that's always an issue. You need internet no matter what. My internet is practically free with Uverse. I dump them for TV and internet goes up big time.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#698 » by Finn » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:43 pm

Anybody subscribe to YouTube TV? Seems to have the best selection of channels as well as the best cloud DVR (unlimited storage, expires in 9 months). Looking for positives/negatives. Thanks.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#699 » by crkone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 pm

Finn wrote:Anybody subscribe to YouTube TV? Seems to have the best selection of channels as well as the best cloud DVR (unlimited storage, expires in 9 months). Looking for positives/negatives. Thanks.
Think I've buffered once for like 5 seconds since I've had it. Only con is no dolby digital audio.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#700 » by Finn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:02 am

crkone wrote:
Finn wrote:Anybody subscribe to YouTube TV? Seems to have the best selection of channels as well as the best cloud DVR (unlimited storage, expires in 9 months). Looking for positives/negatives. Thanks.

Think I've buffered once for like 5 seconds since I've had it. Only con is no dolby digital audio.

Thanks! Sound isn't a big deal to me.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks