Nuggets Trades

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Nuggets Trades 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:14 pm

We all know the Nuggets are going to need to make some trades. It is going to be impossible to pay all of our talent what they are worth. So here's a thread for any trades involving the Nuggets.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Nuggets Trades 

Post#2 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm not very good at coming up with trades because I try to be realistic and I realize that most fans do not want to trade their top5-8 players.

Here's one suggestion:

Boston trades --- Hayward
Boston receives - Plumlee - expiring + Barton + Hernangomez or Craig (Boston's choice - probably Hernangomez)

Plumlee gives them a backup to Kanter (or even start) plus he can play some PF where most of their people are more SF than PF. Plumlee lets them develop Williams and their two rookie centers.

Barton would be a nice backup for Walker & Smart and again, let their young players develop.

This would let them play Brown & Tatum at SF more - of course they'd probably still get SG & PF minutes, but ...

Why does Denver do this? Denver receives a true SF that seems ideal for our game and would let Porter develop more naturally. If Porter develops quickly, Hayward could easily play some SG minutes (putting pressure on Beasley to improve his game and putting pressure on Harris to avoid injuries - not sure how he can do that but ...)
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#3 » by TunaFish » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:08 am

NuggetsWY wrote:I'm not very good at coming up with trades because I try to be realistic and I realize that most fans do not want to trade their top5-8 players.

Here's one suggestion:

Boston trades --- Hayward
Boston receives - Plumlee - expiring + Barton + Hernangomez or Craig (Boston's choice - probably Hernangomez)

Plumlee gives them a backup to Kanter (or even start) plus he can play some PF where most of their people are more SF than PF. Plumlee lets them develop Williams and their two rookie centers.

Barton would be a nice backup for Walker & Smart and again, let their young players develop.

This would let them play Brown & Tatum at SF more - of course they'd probably still get SG & PF minutes, but ...

Why does Denver do this? Denver receives a true SF that seems ideal for our game and would let Porter develop more naturally. If Porter develops quickly, Hayward could easily play some SG minutes (putting pressure on Beasley to improve his game and putting pressure on Harris to avoid injuries - not sure how he can do that but ...)

You can't be serious. I think Hayward has a cap busting contract that is not near whatever value he once had. I think Boston would love to unload his contract and may have to give up a pick to do it. His cap space is worth more than he is.

I do think Barton and Plumlee would be trade pieces if someone wanted them enough to give up something worthwhile in return. Plumlee in particular has some value. As they just brought in a veteran center for training camp, who knows but maybe they can find another backup center.

They have to make some tough calls on Hernangomez and Beasley before the end of the season, so they could be trade pieces.

I have some hope that Washington will be forced to deal Beal and that Denver will have the right trade pieces for him.
Canned in Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#4 » by Coeur » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:54 am

I like Hayward but wouldn’t or shouldn’t have to trade that much for him.

Millsap for Hayward or millsap and Thrill Barton for GH and a filler
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#5 » by THE J0KER » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:21 am

Two years ago Denver have two big holes in the roster, SF spot after Gallinari has gone, and backup guard spot when was obvious that Muddiay will not fulfill expectations, but our management didn't use assets to solve it. Instead, we are involved in two very controversial trades as clear losers (Nurkic and first for expiring Plumlee, and on the draft day we traded #13 pick which turned into Donovan Mitchell for Lyles and Lydon). So, with all the praise to our FO for their draft achievements as an arguably best drafting NBA franchise in the past 6 years, the trades are an area where they probably need to improve the most.

That said, I must too to give them credit for two underrated offseason trade moves when they relaxed our salary cap and balanced our roster with getting rid of outnumbered and outdated players Faried, Arthur and Chandler with their bold contracts last summer, and with acquiring Jeramy Grant this summer. This Grant deal was an especially good model of how our FO should react when once realize we need something. I guess the trigger was postponed MPJ debut in Summer League, when they realized that behind big number of talented potentially high-ceiling forwards, in reality, we have only one completely trustworthy for 2019-20 purposes, Millsap, and he is expiring. At that moment the Free Agency market was already empty for good solutions, but they find very good solutions via trade. Note that it happens just 3 days before Westbrook-Paul blockbuster deal, which would probably lock Grant in Oklahoma for another season because of CP3 almost untradable contract, so they will now probably try to reach the playoff with CP3-SGA-Galo-Adams respectable unit where Grant as starting PF would be missed. I mentioning this to show how competence is not enough for FO when it comes to trades, but you also must be aggressive and fast to a done deal.

Back to these two urgent rosters issues from two years ago, I guess we will finally solve the SF problem this season exactly on the way how we solved the backup guard problem last season. Malik Beasley and Monte Morris improved so much, that backup guard problem was solved without doing nothing, and even quantity is not an issue for our backcourt line, because if someone was injured, small forwards Will Barton and Torrey Craig can easily to be redirected to guards duties. This season for SF spot I don't expect anyone would play on playoff team starter level, but at least there will be much better contribution than in previous two seasons thanks to MPJ arrival and Juancho improvement, with Grant and Beasley ability to spend some minutes at SF spot too. And if everything goes as I hope, already next season we will have true starter level SF in MPJ.

So, unlike in the past two seasons, this time we don't have any urgent roster or cap issue to be fixed, so the pressure to make some deal not existing after the potential huge forward problem is fixed when we decided to keep Millsap this summer and get Grant. The motivation for trade before the trade deadline this season can be if some team suddenly decide to put some great player on the table, or if we suffer some big injury of important player, or if our FO realizes that we have too many useful players in the roster! We have too many good players even for regular season purposes where roster depth can be a key factor, and for the playoff, it is just useless luxury. I recommended "big package for one starter-level player" deal already last season, but this season I'm even more for it when we have even more useful options in the team and the single game is still just 48 minutes.

If we put in a big package Barton and expiring Plumlee, and add to that 2022 first and one or two young assets, we can compete for some big names under contracts up to 30M per season! The preferred position is SF, but if that is a star, we can add Harris or Millsap to get SG or PF star (for example Beal or Griffin). As SF targets a few days ago in Off-Season thread, I already marked as targets Iguodala, Gallinari, Covington, Otto Porter... etc... NuggetsWY mentioned Hayward, which is a gambling move because nobody knows how he will recover from that big injury after not impressive performance first year after. But it is a legit option, and a big win for us if he gets close to his 2016-17 level, and we will not need to lose 2020 1st with Hayward contract overpaid status.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by Coeur » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:38 am

Thunder will prob trade gallinari. But if they don’t they’ll buy him out as a favor to him if they don’t plan on having him long term and then maybe cheap signing then.

Or maybe even figure out how to make a Barton-Gallo trade happen by adding??
JamalMurray
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#7 » by JamalMurray » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Been talking about it for months. Millsap, Morris, Barton, Craig, and 2 picks for Blake Griffin and Reggie Jackson.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:03 pm

JamalMurray wrote:Been talking about it for months. Millsap, Morris, Barton, Craig, and 2 picks for Blake Griffin and Reggie Jackson.

And many here have been rejecting that for months. Griffin is best with the ball in his hands especially when he is around the top of the key --- the exact same place where Jokic is at his best and he is at his best with the ball in his hands. Now, unless you want to pay Griffin $30m to play backup or you want to pay Jokic $30m to play backup - they do not work well together. Griffin is clearly one of the best PFs in the league - but not a good fit for the Nuggets.

Reggie Jackson would be a waste in Denver as well, unless of course you are planning to trade Murray. Jackson is a solid starting PG (but not with the potential of Murray who has proven to be a great 2nd to Jokic). I seriously doubt Jackson would be happy playing 15-18 mpg. So this deal makes him a one year rental.

Trading Millsap's expiring for Griffin's 3 years is not a good thing for our cap future either. Grant can be Millsap's replacement and that will open up cap space that we lose by acquiring Griffin.

Finally, we'd be trading 4 players, including two starters for one starter and rental backup. I'm in favor of consolidation trades, but this just makes no sense.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#9 » by The Rebel » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 pm

I agree with others that Hayward is not worth that much, and if he proves he is than the Celtics will not trade him.

Also there is no way I trade for Blake Griffin let alone add in Reggie Jackson who choose to leave the Thunder because he refused to come off the bench.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Coeur » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Griffin is a good fit. Wouldn’t want to give superstar value in trade for him though. Give a ton of value than its best directed toward Aaron Gordon

1- Aaron Gordon
2- Bogdan Bogdanovic

Those are the 2 perfect additions to the Nugs.

3- Wiggins

Wiggins and Covington
For
Millsap, Monte Morris

Covington
For
Bogdanovic and Bjelica

Gary Harris, Barton, 2 1sts
For
Aaron Gordon

Dynasty
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Coeur wrote:Griffin is a good fit. Wouldn’t want to give superstar value in trade for him though.

Said it before and will not change. Griffin is a great player and one of the absolutely worst fits out of every player in the NBA when it comes to playing with Jokic. Griffin is best with the ball and he prefers it near the top of the key (a little on the wing). Jokic is best with the ball and he prefers it right at the top of the key. The two of them do not belong on the court at the same time and playing one of them only 15-20 mpg would be a ridiculous waste of talent and $$$.

Coeur wrote: Give a ton of value than its best directed toward Aaron Gordon

1- Aaron Gordon
2- Bogdan Bogdanovic

Gordon is barely a better fit than Griffin only because he works a little more on the wing. He is a nice ISO player that will not fit well in Denver.

Love Bogdanovic but he's going to play bench in Denver - almost guaranteed. Not interested in trading much and since he fits so well in Sacramento, I suspect they'll want too much for him.

Coeur wrote:3- Wiggins

Wiggins and Covington
For
Millsap, Monte Morris

Your man-crush on Wiggins needs some serious counseling help. National media is starting to write articles (not just one outlet but multiple) about what is wrong with Wiggins and how if he had been drafted late in the 1st round with lower expectations he just might make a decent 4th or 5th starter or bench role player.

He is a selfish player that only puts in effort to get his own stats. There is no need for that type of player in Denver. If he would at least use that great athleticism on defense, he might have some value.

You know I love Covington but not if we have to take Wiggins.

Coeur wrote:Covington
For
Bogdanovic and Bjelica

But if we did trade for Covington, I'd never turn around and trade him for two lesser players. You've been advocating consolidation - stick to that. Covington is better than Bogdanovic + Bjelica --- maybe not for everyone but with Denver's depth, Covington is better.

Coeur wrote:Gary Harris, Barton, 2 1sts
Aaron Gordon
Dynasty
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Coeur » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:00 pm

What do you think Kuzma would be like on Nugs? I’d like his scoring ability and fit but worried about defensively and maybe athletically not a good for next to Jokic?? Undecided
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by Coeur » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:04 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Coeur wrote:Griffin is a good fit. Wouldn’t want to give superstar value in trade for him though.

Said it before and will not change. Griffin is a great player and one of the absolutely worst fits out of every player in the NBA when it comes to playing with Jokic. Griffin is best with the ball and he prefers it near the top of the key (a little on the wing). Jokic is best with the ball and he prefers it right at the top of the key. The two of them do not belong on the court at the same time and playing one of them only 15-20 mpg would be a ridiculous waste of talent and $$$.

1- Aaron Gordon
2- Bogdan Bogdanovic

Gordon is barely a better fit than Griffin only because he works a little more on the wing. He is a nice ISO player that will not fit well in Denver.

Love Bogdanovic but he's going to play bench in Denver - almost guaranteed. Not interested in trading much and since he fits so well in Sacramento, I suspect they'll want too much for him.

Wiggins and Covington
For
Millsap, Monte Morris

Your man-crush on Wiggins needs some serious counseling help. National media is starting to write articles (not just one outlet but multiple) about what is wrong with Wiggins and how if he had been drafted late in the 1st round with lower expectations he just might make a decent 4th or 5th starter or bench role player.

He is a selfish player that only puts in effort to get his own stats. There is no need for that type of player in Denver. If he would at least use that great athleticism on defense, he might have some value.

For
Bogdanovic and Bjelica

But if we did trade for Covington, I'd never turn around and trade him for two lesser players. You've been advocating consolidation - stick to that. Covington is better than Bogdanovic + Bjelica --- maybe not for everyone but with Denver's depth, Covington is better.

Aaron Gordon
Dynasty

Many good points. But also you saw that it was 4 Nugs rotation pieces for 2 guys. Bjelica as a throw in I think would be perfect in a role too.

Bogdanovic would be more important to the Nugs than Covington would be if the rest of those trades happened with AG

Barton, harris, and Monte Morris minutes to Bogdanovic and Wiggins is definitely consolation.

Bogdanovic and Murray could both start and Finish they’d prob just stagger in between.

It’s not an obsession to me. It’s just me being right. If you put Wiggins in the situations that Gary harris is in because of Murray and Jokic he’s be unstoppable on quick action scoring opportunities
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:36 pm

Coeur wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

1- Aaron Gordon
2- Bogdan Bogdanovic

Wiggins and Covington
For
Millsap, Monte Morris

For
Bogdanovic and Bjelica

Aaron Gordon
Dynasty

Many good points. But also you saw that it was 4 Nugs rotation pieces for 2 guys. Bjelica as a throw in I think would be perfect in a role too.

Bogdanovic would be more important to the Nugs than Covington would be if the rest of those trades happened with AG

Barton, harris, and Monte Morris minutes to Bogdanovic and Wiggins is definitely consolation.

Bogdanovic and Murray could both start and Finish they’d prob just stagger in between.

It’s not an obsession to me. It’s just me being right. If you put Wiggins in the situations that Gary harris is in because of Murray and Jokic he’s be unstoppable on quick action scoring opportunities

Did you ever hear the story about the three mothers watching the marching band practice from the bleachers. All of a sudden one tuba player turns left while the rest of the marching band turns right. Aghast, one mother turns to the other two mothers and says "Did you see every other band member miss that turn except for my son, Coeur ??"
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:25 am

Coeur wrote:What do you think Kuzma would be like on Nugs? I’d like his scoring ability and fit but worried about defensively and maybe athletically not a good for next to Jokic?? Undecided

I like Kuzma, but like any player in a "glamour market", I think he's over-valued. I get your defensive concerns and like you, I like his offense.

My real problem with him right now is he is a combo forward and so is Grant and so is Vanderbilt and so is Porter. I think we need to wait and see what those three do.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:37 am

Coeur wrote:
Spoiler:
NuggetsWY wrote:

1- Aaron Gordon
2- Bogdan Bogdanovic

Wiggins and Covington
For
Millsap, Monte Morris

For
Bogdanovic and Bjelica

Aaron Gordon
Dynasty

Yes, I saw it was 4 for 2 --- the problem with that is, unless you make it one trade, it's impossible to guarantee everything works. I hate the idea of ending up with Wiggins and dislike the idea of ending up with Gordon. In my opinion we are giving up 3 players that are perfect fits and one that has done well in spurts for two players that don't fit in Denver.

I think Minnesota might like this but they won't get too excited IMO.

Sacramento has a load of bigs. Even trading Bjelica, they are going to struggle to find minutes at PF for Covington. They also have two SFs in place, so it would be hard to find Covington minutes there too. So I doubt they would be interested.

I'm not too sure about Orlando. I've watched their fans on the TnT board. Even with picks, they think they can get more than this deal if they trade Gordon.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#17 » by THE J0KER » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:20 am

Coeur wrote:Griffin is a good fit. Wouldn’t want to give superstar value in trade for him though. Give a ton of value than its best directed toward Aaron Gordon

1- Aaron Gordon
2- Bogdan Bogdanovic

3- Wiggins

Wiggins and Covington
For
Millsap, Monte Morris

Covington
For
Bogdanovic and Bjelica

Gary Harris, Barton, 2 1sts
For
Aaron Gordon

Dynasty

Bogdanovic is one of best Kings GM Divac moves, and he is happy in Sacramento (not a starter, but have minutes playing Ginobili role there), so there are zero indications he is available for trade. I doubt even Bjelica is open for trades.

Aaron Gordon is a less attractive option for Denver since we signed Grant this summer, and I doubt he is open for deals except for someone offer Orlando some notable PG, their roster weakest point.

With two max players and several useful which waiting for salary upgrades, we are closed for another max guy, especially overpaid max player as Wiggins.

If we somehow get Covington, it would be crazy to lose him in another deal, because he is potentially perfect fit for Denver.

For example Barton+Plumlee+Craig for Covington+Dieng
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#18 » by TunaFish » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:05 am

THE J0KER wrote:

I don't think you could pawn off Barton so easily even with adding Plumlee and Craig. I think Covington is a player that a lot of teams covet and he likely would only be traded in a major upgrade and not be thrown away.

I do think Beasley would be the most valuable asset that Denver might think about trading. He is looking to start somewhere and he showed enough last season to get a lot of attention. He was 16th in the league last season in 3 point shooting. Add him to Plumlee and now you will generate some real interest.
Canned in Denver.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#19 » by THE J0KER » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:37 pm

TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

I don't think you could pawn off Barton so easily even with adding Plumlee and Craig. I think Covington is a player that a lot of teams covet and he likely would only be traded in a major upgrade and not be thrown away.

I do think Beasley would be the most valuable asset that Denver might think about trading. He is looking to start somewhere and he showed enough last season to get a lot of attention. He was 16th in the league last season in 3 point shooting. Add him to Plumlee and now you will generate some real interest.
Barton is bad fit for Denver, but for a team which has a hole at SG spot (after Butler and D-Rose exit) Will will be welcomed. And don't underrate Dieng 35/2 Albatros contract which Wolves will get rid after this eventual deal. Three useful players for a team which lacks a depth (two years ago 4 MIN starters averaged 35+ mpg!), and free oneself from franchise-worst contract is not so bad deal. And after all, we always can add to our offer 2022 first.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#20 » by The Rebel » Tue Oct 1, 2019 2:26 am

THE J0KER wrote:
TunaFish wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

Barton is bad fit for Denver, but for a team which has a hole at SG spot (after Butler and D-Rose exit) Will will be welcomed. And don't underrate Dieng 35/2 Albatros contract which Wolves will get rid after this eventual deal. Three useful players for a team which lacks a depth (two years ago 4 MIN starters averaged 35+ mpg!), and free oneself from franchise-worst contract is not so bad deal. And after all, we always can add to our offer 2022 first.

I agree Barton still has value around the league, he struggled coming back from injury and was a bad fit with our offense, but teams know what he can do.

The thing I cannot understand is this fascination with Covington. He is an upgrade, but is he enough of an upgrade over Grant to justify losing a young talent or two to get him? I don't see it.

I would not mind trading for Dieng though, he should be cheap but he would be a decent backup for Jokic for now.

Return to Denver Nuggets