ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Interested in Andre Iguodala [MERGED]

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

VN Design's Mock-Up of Iggy in Clips Uni 

Post#61 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 7, 2019 8:13 pm

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Grizzlies Unwilling to Co-Operate at Moment 

Post#62 » by Ranma » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:14 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Re: Clippers Interested in Andre Iguodala [MERGED] 

Post#63 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Sep 9, 2019 11:25 pm

At this point, I doubt he's coming here. He'll probably get traded to some random team at the deadline.
Ranma
RealGM

Iggy Ranked 86th Overall by SI Heading Into 2019-20 

Post#64 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:13 am

Rob Mahoney, Sports Illustrated (9/9/19)

Top 100 NBA Players of 2020
Ranma
RealGM

Waiting Out the Grizzlies 

Post#65 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Sean Deveney, Heavy.com (9/10/19)
Around the league, the Clippers are seen as the favorite to land Iguodala, who has a big fan in Clippers coach Doc Rivers. But that only works if the Grizzlies buy him out.

L.A. can’t trade any first-round picks to Memphis, having given three future first-round picks to the Thunder in this summer’s deal for Paul George, and would be reticent to give up a young player for a guy who is likely to be around for only a year.

The Clippers would also have to take on Iguodala’s $17 million salary in a trade, which would send the team well into luxury-tax territory. The real cost of trading for Iguodala for this season, then, would be more than $30 million.

The Clippers are not alone in having tax and asset issues when it comes to trading for Iguodala.

Contenders ‘Just Waiting It Out’ on Andre Iguodala’s Grizzlies Buyout, Sources Say
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#66 » by TheNewEra » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:50 pm

Hope this is resolved before the season
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Re: VN Design's Mock-Up of Iggy in Clips Uni 

Post#67 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Ranma wrote:Image

Not dissing Ramna particularly or anyone on this board but anyone else who spread this ClipCast rumor ought to be blacklisted from our board.

wasted EVERYBODY'S time wtf
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#68 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:11 pm

No kidding. People obviously didn't learn anything from RDAmbition, Arye or Broussard.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#69 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 pm

think all sides can and should wait.

clips shouldn't overpay and griz shouldn't give him away for free.

his value will eventually realize itself.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#70 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:04 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:No kidding. People obviously didn't learn anything from RDAmbition, Arye or Broussard.

MTV and TVD on the same page. This really is a new era!! :lol:

:beer:
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#71 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:31 pm

nickhx2 wrote:think all sides can and should wait.

did Iggy offer to take $1M as a buyout of his $17M contract?

doubtful

he wants his money AND wants to play in heaven elsewhere?
Grizz say eff that
what's in it for them???

if the Clips did make an offer, it was probably Harkless and J-Rome, which is better than getting nothing at all
and if so, the Grizz apparently think they can do better

BTW, Harkless is a 7-year veteran, is still only 26, and is a lifetime 32% 3-ball shooter
a lot of guys turn the corner with that much experience and still a lot of youth left
and height, LOL [6'9"]
I'd like to see what he can do

Jeff Green has very similar lifetime numbers and still finds a job in the NBA year after year

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenje02.html
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harklma01.html
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#72 » by 50CalClips » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:54 pm

nickhx2 wrote:think all sides can and should wait.

Harkless and Jerome, take it or leave it... the Clippers' offer is not going to get any better.

IDK, maybe in the meanwhile the Clips plump up Harkless stats... make him more enticing.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#73 » by nickhx2 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:58 pm

sure hope they leave it, if that's the case. really good chance the team gets to pick up iggy for far cheaper later on in the season.
Ranma
RealGM

Using Common Sense 

Post#74 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 am

As I've said from the beginning, I was skeptical that ClipCast rumor would actually happen. Just because someone dedicates himself to or otherwise associates with the Clippers doesn't make him a legitimate source. By that criteria, Clipper Darrell would be a valued and trusted source instead of the self-promoting attention whore he's shown himself to be. Just because I have doubts of the rumor that doesn't mean that I believe that Iguodala won't make his way to the Clippers or that the ClipCast guys are lying.

However, the ClipCast guys are aspiring actors trying to get into show business. Their stated record of "breaking news" was dubious as I called them out for being wrong previously. Like I've said before, someone could be fooling with the guys and using them, which tends to happen with inexperienced members of the credentialed press. It seems like the bar has been lowered significantly for anyone to get a press pass nowadays, but I don't think they were outright lying to promote themselves even if I wouldn't put it past them.

In this particular instance, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they were given info from someone close to Iguodala. The way the guys talked, it seemed to be a family member. Whether there is substance to this rumor remains to be seen but I wasn't holding my breath for something to happen.

Seriously, it never made sense for a trade to happen. The Warriors packaged a protected future first-round draft pick in order to unload Iguodala precisely because of his age and cap hit. His contributions for the regular season would be of minimal impact, relatively speaking. His true value lies in the postseason where his playmaking, defense and veteran leadership in limited action would be of significant worth.

It's strange to see some of us actually support the idea of trading Moe Harkless and Jerome Robinson for Iguodala when his value is questionable for most teams, especially as a rental for the postseason. Harkless provides length and defense at the four spot as well as fairly reliable contributions for at least the regular season. Rome is a former lottery pick who was drafted with visions of providing what Landry Shamet currently does and, from the looks of things, he's actually not far off from realizing such production.

To trade either for Iggy already seemed a bit suspect, but I guess a case can be made for doing Harkless-for-Iguodala straight-up given that Harkless is on an expiring deal. However, to package both him and Rome is absurd. Why the hell would our front office be so quick to give up on Rome already? The kid has been lighting up the G-League and is only 22-years-old. This is not a Doc-Rivers-run front office anymore, so young players will be given a legitimate chance to develop, especially when that will be the best way to fill out our roster moving forward given our increasing contract commitments over the next few years to vets currently on the roster.

Iguodala's cap hit alone makes him a difficult player to trade for when it's likely to be his final season in the NBA. The Grizzlies are holding out for another asset and have no incentive to buy him out this early when they are set to pay him just over $17 million. Teams that are interested in Iggy have little cap space and/or disposable assets to sacrifice to trade for him. Iguodala himself seems to be inclined to hold himself out until the postseason with the aim of joining the front-runner for the championship to close out his swan-song season.

Practically everyone in the NBA anticipates that Iggy will eventually be bought out and the Clippers are already seen as the favorites to secure his services when that happens. Obviously, it's not a guarantee but I choose to believe that the ClipCast rumor only signals an indication that Iguodala prefers the Clippers. Someone close to Iggy probably said that he hopes to be traded by September 3rd and the ClipCast guys ran with it eager to garner attention and credibility.

I've been with the more cooler heads and rational commentators in this thread. It just makes little to no sense for the Clippers to trade for Iguodala right now when he's expected to eventually be bought out. He would certainly help our chances for a run at the title this postseason but giving up assets to get him earlier would be self-defeating. Not only would it sacrifice valuable assets unnecessarily but it would risk injuring Iggy by playing him more than necessary, especially when he's said that he's played hurt for the Warriors.

As with other bits of "news" or "info" gathered from the Internet, common sense should be applied to determine the value of such content.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#75 » by QRich3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am

It looks like Nene's new contract with the Rockets is taylor made to make a trade for Iguodala more attractive for the Grizzlies, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded there on January 15th. Very creative way for Morey to re-sign a player like that btw, with incentives based salary that make his outgoing salary $10M but the incoming salary (and cap hit) for a team like the Grizzlies essentially a veteran minimum contract.

I think I already said it upthread, but I want nothing to do with Iguodala. After the George trade, this team is depleted of future assets, we can't be giving away even the smallest future rotation player, much less for a 37 year old like him. And Harkless might be a better player than him sooner than later anyway, Iguodala is due for a fall off. We need more young players with upside, not big name old players that are gonna be retired in a year or two. Otherwise we'll end up like the Doc-as-GM days.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 961

Post#76 » by clipperlover » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Clippers would be idiotic to make a trade for Iggy. Memphis doesn't need to buy him out and he isn't worth what it would take to get him. Harkless is a much cheaper option and a younger, up and coming defender that will only get better playing alongside Kawhi, PG and PB. I love Iggy, but unless we are getting him after a buyout, we should steer clear.
nickhx2
RealGM

Post#77 » by nickhx2 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:04 pm

QRich3 wrote:It looks like Nene's new contract with the Rockets is taylor made to make a trade for Iguodala more attractive for the Grizzlies, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded there on January 15th. Very creative way for Morey to re-sign a player like that btw, with incentives based salary that make his outgoing salary $10M but the incoming salary (and cap hit) for a team like the Grizzlies essentially a veteran minimum contract.

I think I already said it upthread, but I want nothing to do with Iguodala. After the George trade, this team is depleted of future assets, we can't be giving away even the smallest future rotation player, much less for a 37 year old like him. And Harkless might be a better player than him sooner than later anyway, Iguodala is due for a fall off. We need more young players with upside, not big name old players that are gonna be retired in a year or two. Otherwise we'll end up like the Doc-as-GM days.

agree with all this

iggy for really cheap or free? sure. iggy for harkless when harkless might end up being the better player even as soon as this season? not a good idea.
Ranma
RealGM

NBA & NBPA Say No to Nene's Structured Deal as Salary-Cap Filler 

Post#78 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:13 am

nickhx2 wrote:
QRich3 wrote:It looks like Nene's new contract with the Rockets is taylor made to make a trade for Iguodala more attractive for the Grizzlies, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded there on January 15th. Very creative way for Morey to re-sign a player like that btw, with incentives based salary that make his outgoing salary $10M but the incoming salary (and cap hit) for a team like the Grizzlies essentially a veteran minimum contract.

agree with all this

iggy for really cheap or free? sure. iggy for harkless when harkless might end up being the better player even as soon as this season? not a good idea.

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: NBA & NBPA Say No to Nene's Structured Deal as Salary-Cap Filler 

Post#79 » by esqtvd » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:29 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh it would be huge lulz if the Rockets are stuck with a player and a contract they really don't want
Ranma
RealGM

Iggy Ain't Leaving Money on Table 

Post#80 » by Ranma » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers