ImageImageImageImageImage

Battle for L.A. 2019-20

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Business as Usual in L-Town 

Post#201 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:44 am

On today's show Andrew Sharp and Ben Golliver examine the MVP odds for 2020. First: What do we make of the Lakers and the MVP possibilities for LeBron James and Anthony Davis? Then (20:00): Odds for the Clippers' Big Two, Lillard in Portland, Giannis Antetokounmpo and the biggest Bucks questions, and Nikola Jokic as a potential dark horse in Denver. At the end (50:00): Raptors fans have Siakam receipts, finding the NBA's answer to Andrew Luck, a Lakers fan and a license plate debate in Portland, and a listener in Iceland has jersey questions. (Note: Golliver is on vacation and this episode was recorded before Team USA's two losses at the FIBA World Cup.)

Read on Twitter

Joining SI's Chris Mannix this week is Howard Beck, senior writer at Bleacher Report. Mannix and Beck talk about the Wizards decision to elevate Tommy Sheppard--and what Sheppard needs to do to differentiate his regime from Ernie Grunfelds. Plus who had the better offseason--Lakers or Clippers? And if Houston is a better team now than the one that ended last season.

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Battle for L.A. 2019-20 

Post#202 » by TheNewEra » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:23 pm

On a side not I’m glad Harkless is doing more bonding with the team
Ranma
RealGM

NBA Executives Believe Gap Exists Between Clippers and Lakers 

Post#203 » by Ranma » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:30 am

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Clippers Have Spectacular Depth While Lakers are Work-in-Progress 

Post#204 » by Ranma » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:56 pm

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,803

Post#205 » by esqtvd » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:32 pm

shorter version LOL

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#206 » by TheNewEra » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:41 am

Almost go time
NippySudz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,460

Re: Business as Usual in L-Town 

Post#207 » by NippySudz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:40 am

Ranma wrote:On today's show Andrew Sharp and Ben Golliver examine the MVP odds for 2020. First: What do we make of the Lakers and the MVP possibilities for LeBron James and Anthony Davis? Then (20:00): Odds for the Clippers' Big Two, Lillard in Portland, Giannis Antetokounmpo and the biggest Bucks questions, and Nikola Jokic as a potential dark horse in Denver. At the end (50:00): Raptors fans have Siakam receipts, finding the NBA's answer to Andrew Luck, a Lakers fan and a license plate debate in Portland, and a listener in Iceland has jersey questions. (Note: Golliver is on vacation and this episode was recorded before Team USA's two losses at the FIBA World Cup.)

Read on Twitter

Joining SI's Chris Mannix this week is Howard Beck, senior writer at Bleacher Report. Mannix and Beck talk about the Wizards decision to elevate Tommy Sheppard--and what Sheppard needs to do to differentiate his regime from Ernie Grunfelds. Plus who had the better offseason--Lakers or Clippers? And if Houston is a better team now than the one that ended last season.

Read on Twitter

Isn't that every lebron james team though? :lol:

Lebron james teams are usually lottery teams without him. He usually has to carry a load that no other superstar has to carry. So I wouldn't be too worried about outside of james and anthony davis. If I'm a laker fan, I'd be more worried about lebron's health and age. Is he body breaking down or was it a freak occurrence?

I fully expect them to compete this year and make noise. I am hoping for an LAC-LAL WCF showdown.

I want LAC to win the finals, but I don't underestimate Lakers or even GoldenState. I don't think steph is going to take this as a step down year. I think he's going to be mvp like.
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Post#208 » by NippySudz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:02 pm

50CalClips wrote:
clipperlover wrote:I could care less if we beat the Lakers or get swept by them. The only thing I care about is this team making it to the Western Conference Finals with a chance to move into the NBA Finals. If we are in the WC Finals and the Lakers are not, do the regular season match-ups matter? Vice versa.

The entire season is a process to get us to that point. What I want to see during the regular season is an NBA Defense that is championship caliber. I also want to see a roster where the guys at the end of the bench can contribute solid, effective regular season minutes, so we can keep our top players from logging 35+ minutes/night.

It would just make it that much sweeter to face and beat the L.B. Lakers in the Playoffs... where rivalries are really built.

Championship > Beating the Lakers in the Playoffs...
Beating Lakers in the Playoffs > Reaching the Finals and losing...
Not making the Playoffs > Losing to the Lakers in the Playoffs

have to disagree with teh second one. Yeah, losing in the finals would suck, but championship is all that matters for me. That solidifies the rivalry even if the clippers do not face the lakers in the playoffs. Its a statement. "There's new championship game in town."

A rivalry that doesn't result in a ring, is no rivalry at all in my opinion.

if you ask steve balmer would he rather win a championship and not have to play the lakers or would he rather prefer to beat the lakers and lose the finals, What do you think he's going to pick?

The larry obrien is the only thing that matters.
Ranma
RealGM

Kuzma Benefiting from L.A. Market 

Post#209 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:01 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
NippySudz
Assistant Coach

Re: Kuzma Benefiting from L.A. Market 

Post#210 » by NippySudz » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:34 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I agree, kuzma hasn't done anything remarkable. The narrative is that he will be the third star needed. That remains to be seen, but I feel siakam has more upside, siakam is a year older but still. I don't get why people are in love with kuzma like that.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#211 » by 50CalClips » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:19 pm

NippySudz wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
clipperlover wrote:I could care less if we beat the Lakers or get swept by them. The only thing I care about is this team making it to the Western Conference Finals with a chance to move into the NBA Finals. If we are in the WC Finals and the Lakers are not, do the regular season match-ups matter? Vice versa.

The entire season is a process to get us to that point. What I want to see during the regular season is an NBA Defense that is championship caliber. I also want to see a roster where the guys at the end of the bench can contribute solid, effective regular season minutes, so we can keep our top players from logging 35+ minutes/night.

It would just make it that much sweeter to face and beat the L.B. Lakers in the Playoffs... where rivalries are really built.

[1] Championship > Beating the Lakers in the Playoffs...
[2] Beating Lakers in the Playoffs > Reaching the Finals and losing...
[3] Not making the Playoffs > Losing to the Lakers in the Playoffs

have to disagree with teh second one. Yeah, losing in the finals would suck, but championship is all that matters for me. That solidifies the rivalry even if the clippers do not face the lakers in the playoffs. Its a statement. "There's new championship game in town."

A rivalry that doesn't result in a ring, is no rivalry at all in my opinion.

if you ask steve balmer would he rather win a championship and not have to play the lakers or would he rather prefer to beat the lakers and lose the finals, What do you think he's going to pick?

The larry obrien is the only thing that matters.

That was option "1"... Championship above all. Ballmer and I would be on the same page there.

Getting to the Finals and losing would be painful. I don't care about "breaking that barrier" as much as I do about defeating the Lakers in the Playoffs, and finally establishing this rivalry in earnest (the right way).

What do you care about more; what's your list look like? Do you value the Clippers "reaching the WCF" as much as the national sports media keeps purporting? That's not that big a deal for me.
Ranma
RealGM

One Team to Rule Them All 

Post#212 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#213 » by esqtvd » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:50 am

I put the Lakers channel on while I'm doing other stuff. They won. Big deal.

Now there's some dogspit interview show on. Featured guest---new Laker Jared Dudley. :lol:

I don't know if Jared was a locker room cancer but I do know that the Clippers players must have come to Doc en masse and begged him to get rid of this fu*k*ng guy before next season. The guy is so obviously intelligent. 1000s of perfectly spoken words and well-formed opinions spill out of his mouth like puppy piss. [Usually wrong but that's not even relevant.]

You even can't hear yourself think. It cost us a first round draft choice [which turned into nothing anyway] to dump Dudley's mouth but I'm sure every guy in that locker room thought it was a bargain.
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#214 » by QRich3 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:50 am

Man I remember I was the last one here trying to defend Jared Dudley after he had been doo doo all season long, and I was trying to be patient with him. Everything after that made me dislike the guy as few guys in the league, every time he opens his mouth he says something that irks me. Even when he was a bench scrub for middle of the road East teams, which should be something I shouldn't be caring about, he still found ways to be unlikable. Ugh
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#215 » by Forte IV » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:36 pm

I remember dying on the Chris Douglas-Roberts hill. So we've all been there.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#216 » by esqtvd » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:25 pm

VERY cool

Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 956

Post#217 » by clipperlover » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:07 pm

QRich3 wrote:Man I remember I was the last one here trying to defend Jared Dudley after he had been doo doo all season long, and I was trying to be patient with him. Everything after that made me dislike the guy as few guys in the league, every time he opens his mouth he says something that irks me. Even when he was a bench scrub for middle of the road East teams, which should be something I shouldn't be caring about, he still found ways to be unlikable. Ugh

That trade was the worst trade in the Doc era and spawned many bad future moves. We were coming off a post season where we definitely needed to have a backup and potential long term replacement behind DeAndre. Doc drafts Bullock over Gobert, so we enter free agency with a need at backup big, Rather than get the Suns to include Gortat in the trade, Doc listens to Gentry and gets Stay-Puft. Not only did Doc move Bledsoe without ever having him pay a game for Doc, he picked up Stay-Puft when we could have just moved Caron Butler to the Bucks ourselves for Redick (who was a career backup that Doc felt needed to be a starter). After the trade, the Suns moved Butler to the Bucks and ended up moving Gortat to the Wizards where he had several good years. The solution to our back-up big issue was Byron Mullens who never played another game in the NBA after us. From there, it was just a bunch of other bad moves to try to recover.

Had we drafted Gobert, received Gortat in the trade instead of Stay-Puft or just let Bledsoe play out the year and become a restricted FA or trade him mid-year, we stood a much better chance of making the NBA Finals.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#218 » by esqtvd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:13 pm

clipperlover wrote:
QRich3 wrote:Man I remember I was the last one here trying to defend Jared Dudley after he had been doo doo all season long, and I was trying to be patient with him. Everything after that made me dislike the guy as few guys in the league, every time he opens his mouth he says something that irks me. Even when he was a bench scrub for middle of the road East teams, which should be something I shouldn't be caring about, he still found ways to be unlikable. Ugh

That trade was the worst trade in the Doc era and spawned many bad future moves. We were coming off a post season where we definitely needed to have a backup and potential long term replacement behind DeAndre. Doc drafts Bullock over Gobert, so we enter free agency with a need at backup big, Rather than get the Suns to include Gortat in the trade, Doc listens to Gentry and gets Stay-Puft. Not only did Doc move Bledsoe without ever having him pay a game for Doc, he picked up Stay-Puft when we could have just moved Caron Butler to the Bucks ourselves for Redick (who was a career backup that Doc felt needed to be a starter). After the trade, the Suns moved Butler to the Bucks and ended up moving Gortat to the Wizards where he had several good years. The solution to our back-up big issue was Byron Mullens who never played another game in the NBA after us. From there, it was just a bunch of other bad moves to try to recover.

Had we drafted Gobert, received Gortat in the trade instead of Stay-Puft or just let Bledsoe play out the year and become a restricted FA or trade him mid-year, we stood a much better chance of making the NBA Finals.

Shoulda-wouldas are not very helpful. The Jazz got the Gobert pick in trade for garbage---a second-rounder and cash. In essence, the WHOLE LEAGUE passed on Gobert. He was a foreign longshot that came in. In that same draft, the same Jazz geniuses took Trey Burke at #9, and he was a bust. So it goes.

And I hate Dudley as much as the next guy and was a hater from the very first preseason game. Yes, his acquisition did start a snowball of unfortunate trades and deals, but he WAS hurt for the Clippers, and bravely played hurt while Barnes was out. When he got healthy the next year and the year after, he was pretty much the player Doc thought he was getting.

That said, I still hate him. I do think it was his mouth, not his play, that made it necessary to dump him. We had no Lee Jenkins at the time to warn us off him in the first place, LOL. The dude never shuts up.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,258

Post#219 » by nickhx2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:26 pm

clipperlover wrote:

the doc GM era was this litany of bad moves compounded by bad moves. what a nightmare. going bullock over gobert never made sense to me at the time. signings like byron mullens, jamison, lowballing paul pierce to sign spencer hawes, my god. and that's not even counting all the first rounders burned to make up for past mistakes. basically exhibit A of how to completely tank a championship caliber team.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 956

Post#220 » by clipperlover » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:02 pm

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:

Shoulda-wouldas are not very helpful. The Jazz got the Gobert pick in trade for garbage---a second-rounder and cash. In essence, the WHOLE LEAGUE passed on Gobert. He was a foreign longshot that came in. In that same draft, the same Jazz geniuses took Trey Burke at #9, and he was a bust. So it goes.

And I hate Dudley as much as the next guy and was a hater from the very first preseason game. Yes, his acquisition did start a snowball of unfortunate trades and deals, but he WAS hurt for the Clippers, and bravely played hurt while Barnes was out. When he got healthy the next year and the year after, he was pretty much the player Doc thought he was getting.

That said, I still hate him. I do think it was his mouth, not his play, that made it necessary to dump him. We had no Lee Jenkins at the time to warn us off him in the first place, LOL. The dude never shuts up.

Sorry, but we had a need for a back-up big man that could help us. We didn't do it in the 2013 draft. In the 2014 draft, we were already coming off the Mullens debacle and DeAndre was becoming a free agent the following summer, so we needed a big. We also had just lived through the horrible Stay_Puft debacle. So, logically we go out and draft C.J. Wilcox over the bigger Kyle Anderson which was questionable when it happened and it didn't solve our backup big issue. The next true big man available in that draft was Jokic. Jokic didn't come over that first year, but when he did come over he ended up starting nearly as many games his 1st season as Wilcox played in his entire 3 yr career.

This isn't a shoulda, woulda, coulda. The decisions made were poor and that poor decision making ultimately led to us not having the overall roster talent to make the NBA Finals and Doc losing that decision making role.

We experienced several years of bad decision making and never seeing the obvious holes in the roster (i.e. back up big, defense) addressed.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers