ImageImageImageImageImage

CP3 & Redick Reminisce on the Lob City era

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Re: CP3 & Redick Reminisce on the Lob City era 

Post#21 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:00 pm

He was my favorite by far back then, but I put the blame on the Point God. It was his job to lead. He should have greased the personality wheels, had the guys over for cookouts, taken them to the Bahamas instead of star****ing his Banana Boat Team. Whatever it takes.

Whatever happened/didn't happen in Houston with The Beard, the result was the same. No chip, and CP leaves. Now he's in basketball purgatory, if not hell. The same goes for the rest to varying degrees.

One other interesting nugget from Redick's time in Philly was his sharing that he believed they didn't do enough team dinners on the road.

"I wish, I've tried, I wish, the team meal on the road is huge. I think it's huge. We didn't do it enough last year in Philly. We tried. It wasn't enough. Some of that, look, nobody wants to be forced to go to dinner. It's got to be real and authentic."

https://sports.yahoo.com/jj-redick-believes-sixers-needed-151114612.html

Obviously JJ's feeling it too. But I put it on Chris. He was the HOF star, he was the PG, he was the captain.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 958

Re: Redick Acknowledges Missed Opportunity in Lob City 

Post#22 » by clipperlover » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Those guys really don't get it. First of all, you can't win a championship if you can't make the WC Finals.
During the 6 season Lob City era, here are some numbers:
1. 12 of 15 WC teams(80%) made the playoffs (80%). 11 of those 12 made it multiple times with Spurs, Clips and Griz making it all years
2. 9 of the 12 teams that made the playoffs made it to the 2nd round (75%). 7 of them did it multiple times (58%)
3. 5 of the 12 teams that made the playoffs made the WCF (42%). Spurs, GS and OKC did it multiple times (25%)

It isn't like making the WCF was some unachievable feat. Nearly half of the team that made the playoffs did it, but not the lob city team. The Rockets and Griz only made the semis twice during the Lob City era, but both made at least 1 WCF.

The Lob City team didn't fail because of personalities. They failed because they lacked championship level defense. When you are trying to win a Championship, but you have a line-up consisting of Redick, Crawford and Blake together nearly 20% of the time, you aren't stopping too many playoff opponents. In the 4 games they lost to the Rockets in the Semis, they gave up 117.75 PPG. But, they want to blame it on BS. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin could have been best friends and it wasn't making Griffin a better defender.

With this year's team, we are going to see the difference.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#23 » by esqtvd » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:14 am

clipperlover wrote:
The Lob City team didn't fail because of personalities. They failed because they lacked championship level defense. When you are trying to win a Championship, but you have a line-up consisting of Redick, Crawford and Blake together nearly 20% of the time, you aren't stopping too many playoff opponents. In the 4 games they lost to the Rockets in the Semis, they gave up 117.75 PPG. But, they want to blame it on BS. Chris Paul and Blake Griffin could have been best friends and it wasn't making Griffin a better defender.

True but defense is exactly where it shows. Doc was always talking about 'trust.' But they didn't.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2674707-chris-paul-on-la-clippers-dominant-defense-why-didnt-we-do-this-last-year

"Why didn’t we do this last year?" Paul posed to himself. "Part of it is attention to detail, tweaking a few things here and there and trust. It always helps, too, to know that if you help a guy, another guy is going to be there."

They did not play as a team. And as much as Coach can yell, in the end it's the players who must hold each other responsible. But the Clippers team just didn't have that kind of relationship.

Even Crawford, rarely known for his defense, has exceeded expectations. During one first-quarter possession against the Pistons, he got down in a deep defensive stance against Stanley Johnson, waving his arms up and down like a bird getting off the ground, and picked off a pass that he then flung upcourt to the Clippers' Johnson for a layup.

"I think we’re locked in as a group, and we’re playing for each other," Crawford said.

That comes, in part, from a comfort among these Clippers with critiquing one another.

"Defensively, a couple of the new coaches with us, that’s the first thing they notice is, 'Man, you guys, if someone messes up on the rotations, they’re going to hear from everyone,'" Rivers said. "That’s a good thing. We need to keep doing that."

Another thing I agree with you about is that this year's crew WILL have that accountability, and I think it's one reason why Kawhi wanted to come here, because that team spirit already existed here. What JJ and CP are realizing is that that honesty was missing in Lob City.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#24 » by TheNewEra » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:57 pm

Doc redemption run time to get it right
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#25 » by clipperlover » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:47 pm

I was very critical of DJ during his Lob City time, but if there is one player from that team that I would like to see on this team it is DJ. DJ manning the paint with PB, Paul George, Kawhi and Harkless in front of him would be amazing. Instead he is rotting away in Brooklyn stuck in the same situation as he was with Lob City. He is back to playing D for 4.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#26 » by esqtvd » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:45 am

esqtvd wrote:He was my favorite by far back then, but I put the blame on the Point God. It was his job to lead. He should have greased the personality wheels, had the guys over for cookouts, taken them to the Bahamas instead of star****ing his Banana Boat Team. Whatever it takes.

Whatever happened/didn't happen in Houston with The Beard, the result was the same. No chip, and CP leaves. Now he's in basketball purgatory, if not hell. The same goes for the rest to varying degrees.

One other interesting nugget from Redick's time in Philly was his sharing that he believed they didn't do enough team dinners on the road.

"I wish, I've tried, I wish, the team meal on the road is huge. I think it's huge. We didn't do it enough last year in Philly. We tried. It wasn't enough. Some of that, look, nobody wants to be forced to go to dinner. It's got to be real and authentic."

https://sports.yahoo.com/jj-redick-believes-sixers-needed-151114612.html

Obviously JJ's feeling it too. But I put it on Chris. He was the HOF star, he was the PG, he was the captain.

LATE ADD:

Read on Twitter

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,046

One More Thing 

Post#27 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 am

I would love to hear from Redick, or any Clipper for that matter, if they were overtly concerned of their nice-guy image and reputation. If they feared getting ejected from a game and how it would stain/ruin their careers. Griffin's two ejections in 2015-16 was just a prelude to his punching incident in Toronto. Paul's ejection as a Rocket for punching Rondo resulted in his downward spiral and eventual banishment to a lottery team. Were they very invested in wanting to be loved, respected and worshiped like Lakers? Was the Clipper's losing history so strong that they succumbed to their fate as perennial failures?

Right now, all four of those guy's legacies will forever be tied to that 3-1 collapse and all that was bad with Clippers. If they're going to go for a championship, it's gonna be too late; they might have to join a dynasty team or a destined Finals finisher like when Tracy McGrady joined the Spurs in 2013, resulting in his only visit past the 2nd round. However, he was required by Pop to never play, let his guys get him to the promised land.

Provided the Clippers finally win one, if Paul, Griffin, Jordan or Redick were to come back, would you be okay if they were DNPed so that Leonard and George can finish what they started? Can they repair all of Lob City's mistakes, mishaps and misconceptions?
esqtvd
RealGM

Re: One More Thing 

Post#28 » by esqtvd » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:47 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Provided the Clippers finally win one, if Paul, Griffin, Jordan or Redick were to come back, would you be okay if they were DNPed so that Leonard and George can finish what they started? Can they repair all of Lob City's mistakes, mishaps and misconceptions?

I expect CP and BG to wring every last dime out of their huge contracts while on the DL. DJ will probably play out the string with KD and Kyrie in Brooklyn and hope for a miracle. I don't want JJ at any price, and BTW we gave away a FRP to dump Jamal off on the Hawks.

Its corpse is still walking around the NBA, but Lob City is dead, dead and gone. They could form an All-Zombie Team with Carmelo and Austin, though.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

The Jump Talks Cracks in Lob-City Clippers 

Post#29 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:55 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#30 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:35 am

Still talking about it.
LMAO.

We're onto the Kawhi era bro.
Give it a rest.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

2015 Clips One of Biggest Disappointments in NBA History 

Post#31 » by Ranma » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:05 am

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 28,806

Post#32 » by og15 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:51 pm

clipperlover wrote:
Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Those guys really don't get it. First of all, you can't win a championship if you can't make the WC Finals.
During the 6 season Lob City era, here are some numbers:
1. 12 of 15 WC teams(80%) made the playoffs (80%). 11 of those 12 made it multiple times with Spurs, Clips and Griz making it all years
2. 9 of the 12 teams that made the playoffs made it to the 2nd round (75%). 7 of them did it multiple times (58%)
3. 5 of the 12 teams that made the playoffs made the WCF (42%). Spurs, GS and OKC did it multiple times (25%)

It isn't like making the WCF was some unachievable feat. Nearly half of the team that made the playoffs did it, but not the lob city team. The Rockets and Griz only made the semis twice during the Lob City era, but both made at least 1 WCF.

Yes, yes! I've said this many times, we want to make it about chemistry and all this other stuff, because they are more enticing stories, and yes, chemistry is important, but talent and on court chemistry is far more important than being friends or actually even liking each other. Ask. Shaq and Kobe. Rodman was on ESPN with Pippen and said he never hung out with Jordan and Pippen outside of the court, and they all knew he had his own other life when basketball wasn't happening. Those guys won 3 together.

I just mentioned it on the GB because I see it over and over again. NBA fans in general undervalue defensive talent, and this is why many people are bad at judging how truly talented some teams are because their focus is always on offensive and specifically ppg talent. So talent gets judged on how much scoring a team has while neglecting whether those scorers can also defend and neglecting in general how much defensive talent a team has. What this causes is for people to ascribe greater talentedness to teams with more PPG guys and shooters, and lesser talentedness to teams with defensive guys.

The Lob City Clippers couldn't win first because they were injured significantly in half of their seasons together, health is a huge part of winning. Secondly because they were never a very good defense when they were healthy. Their best defensive group was 15-16, Blake was injured most of that season and then re-aggravates his injury in the post-season, and Paul broke a finger the same game. Even then, the regular season injury gave them unfavourable seeding too. If they had the 15-16 defense in 13-14 and 14-15, so a guy like Mbah along with Matt Barnes, and an improved though still flawed Austin on defense, that would have made a difference.

The 12-13 loss to Memphis, Blake's ankle injury and limited unproductive minutes was huge in determining the series, but look at their defense in the last few games. They made a poor offensive team in Memphis look elite on offense. Houston was a 107 Ortg team in 14-15 during the regular season, just above average, they had something like 124, 115 and 110 Ortg in those last three games. Yet most people will look at those games and say "well they just couldn't score, they didn't have a take over guy". Well, yes, the fatigue was a factor, so was all the role players bricking their open shots, but even if some of those things worked out, if the Clippers produced to their regular season offense, they still lose two of those games, just by closer margins.

What does teams needed was of course better star health, but personell wise, more like Danny Green at SG and Andre Iguodala at SF. Yes, it's not impressive when it comes to ppg, but that's the talent that makes you not have to score 115 ppg to win games.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,046

There Was A Third Reason 

Post#33 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:15 pm

og15 wrote:I've said this many times, we want to make it about chemistry and all this other stuff, because they are more enticing stories, and yes, chemistry is important, but talent and on court chemistry is far more important than being friends or actually even liking each other.

Maybe not liking each other, but at least respecting your teammates. Kobe respected Shaq. Jordan respected Pippen. And both vice versa. There seemed to be a respect between Paul and Griffin, but Jordan wanted to be a part of it because of the Griffin-Jordan friendship. The fractured relationship didn't really become a thing until after the 3-1 collapse, but particularly when DeAndre chose out of the Clippers and joined the Mavericks. The whole emoji war to bring DJ back and to stave off a forced rebuild encompasses the off-court chemistry thing.

But there was a third reason the Clippers failed, and I just mentioned it: respect. As in respecting competition. They had a really hard time taking opponents seriously. Think of the time in the 2012-13 season when they had inexplicable upsets to lottery teams. The Cavaliers were still in rebuilding mode with Kyrie Irving. Or when they lost to the Pelicans - Greivis Vasquez scoring 25 PTS (tied for 4th in scoring career, career high 27 PTS); Austin Rivers, now proclaimed a draft bust, having one of his best games of that season (tied for 3rd in season scoring, 5th in net difference); and Anthony Davis out for injury. Then there were the Warriors, a team the Clippers failed to take seriously because of their place in the lottery the year before, even punching their playoff tickets for them with a season series defeat in the 4th and final meeting. It took losing Game 1 in the 2014 NBA Playoffs for Clippers to finally accept Warriors as a threat.

Lob City was just too prone for lapses, physical and mental. Ego got in the way as well as some of the players were too mindful of their reputation and nice-guy images. There was also a feeling of consent, as in they knew the task in transforming the Clippers from laughingstock to title contender was too hard for them to overcome.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#34 » by esqtvd » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:44 pm

Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#35 » by clipperlover » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:52 pm

Had to laugh at this: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255969/Chris-Paul-Had-Interest-In-Trade-To-Bucks

Of course, HE had interest. The Bucks certainly didn't have any interest in the 2nd highest contract in the NBA for the next 3 seasons and gutting their team to do so. About the only team that is going to take that contract would be the Wizards, but who the h3ll would want John Wall's NBA worst contract. I don't see the Thunder giving up assets to move him and I don't see anyone buy him out of $120M. CP3 would have to opt of of his 21-22 option and someone may buy him out at next season's trade deadline.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers