ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1541 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:34 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:http://www.gordonhayward20.life/2019/09/24/back-like-we-never-left/?fbclid=IwAR2k67n7fWCwEBsd_PHSTd3hw8Mh7sRMlv0PHRIGldOfCw0Gcnp8VMS77dI

Thought this was a good read.

Great read. Thanks for posting JB.

I know a lot of people have counted Hayward out.
People seem to forget this was a big injury and can take up to a year and a half. Some people also forget his 2nd surgery after the initial one.

I’ve felt for months that Gordon will be close to being back to his all star form this season. I can see Hayward putting up 18,5 and 5 or a little better.

Kemba being here is going to him Hayward because Kemba is a good leader and is and encouraging teammate, unlike the last PG that was here last year.

Boston is going to surprise a lot of people around the league. And that all starts with the addition of Kemba, the improvements of Tatum and Hayward. Brown should also be better and Kantar is going to be a bigger addition that people think. Not to mention, Brad will return to being a top 3 coach again this season.

Its not really counting Hayward out (at least from me)— its more so that in order for us to become actual contenders long term, we need Tatum to eventually become our best player [and a top 10 guy overall]. If Hayward asserts himself over Tatum, thats a really bad sign for us going forward and puts us on a path to treadmilling hardcore.

Depends on how good Hayward looks, Hayward was arguably a top 15 player 2 years ago. If he's that we're not in trouble, but if he's a top 30 player and he's our best player, yea we're in trouble. Although Tatum really is very young, still. We will see.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1542 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:52 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:

People seem to forget this was a big injury and can take up to a year and a half. Some people also forget his 2nd surgery after the initial one.

I’ve felt for months that Gordon will be close to being back to his all star form this season. I can see Hayward putting up 18,5 and 5 or a little better.

Kemba being here is going to him Hayward because Kemba is a good leader and is and encouraging teammate, unlike the last PG that was here last year.

Boston is going to surprise a lot of people around the league. And that all starts with the addition of Kemba, the improvements of Tatum and Hayward. Brown should also be better and Kantar is going to be a bigger addition that people think. Not to mention, Brad will return to being a top 3 coach again this season.

Its not really counting Hayward out (at least from me)— its more so that in order for us to become actual contenders long term, we need Tatum to eventually become our best player [and a top 10 guy overall]. If Hayward asserts himself over Tatum, thats a really bad sign for us going forward and puts us on a path to treadmilling hardcore.

Depends on how good Hayward looks, Hayward was arguably a top 15 player 2 years ago. If he's that we're not in trouble, but if he's a top 30 player and he's our best player, yea we're in trouble. Although Tatum really is very young, still. We will see.

Whats the last team to win with its best two players in the 15-20 range?

You need at least one top 7 or so guy to win a title. Tatum represents our best chance of organically getting there. We may be worse off next season, but Tatum asserting himself to be our first/second best player is whats best for us long term. Hayward blocking him from getting there is a terrible sign for our future.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1543 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:21 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Whats the last team to win with its best two players in the 15-20 range?

You need at least one top 7 or so guy to win a title. Tatum represents our best chance of organically getting there. We may be worse off next season, but Tatum asserting himself to be our first/second best player is whats best for us long term. Hayward blocking him from getting there is a terrible sign for our future.

I was saying that it's pretty hard to expect Tatum to be top 10 player next season, if Hayward averages 22/5/4 on .470 from the field, that would be some pretty high expectations for Jayson to surpass.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#1544 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:40 pm

Player rankings are silly. They're just fodder for off season talking heads. Who cares, really?

I expect Tatum to be one of the leading players on a team that squares off against the Milwaukee Bucks in the 2020 EC finals. That's all.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1545 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Well, apparently our City jerseys this year WILL be gold, to honor the parquet floor. I'm intrigued and terrified at the same time. Lol
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1546 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:14 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Well, apparently our City jerseys this year WILL be gold, to honor the parquet floor. I'm intrigued and terrified at the same time. Lol

If they're like the old Sonics ones I'd like that
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1547 » by Crives » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Suns fan here...
Can you tell me why Baynes has such godlike advanced stats? Are they for real?
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#1548 » by return2glory » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:25 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:http://www.gordonhayward20.life/2019/09/24/back-like-we-never-left/?fbclid=IwAR2k67n7fWCwEBsd_PHSTd3hw8Mh7sRMlv0PHRIGldOfCw0Gcnp8VMS77dI

Thought this was a good read.

You’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Tatum will be a top 10 player anytime soon. I like Tatum a lot. But top 10 player in the league? That’s asking for a lot. That being said, I expect Tatum to be better this year than last year. I expect both Tatum and Hayward to be really good at the same time.

It’s going to be an interesting and fun year.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1549 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Crives wrote:Suns fan here...

Yes, it's for real. He doesn't care about being on a poster and was one of the few Celtics besides Smart and Horford who bought into team defense. He's not a shot blocker per say, but he is one of the best 1 on 1 big men defenders by playing good position defense and is hard to move. He also contests without fouling on penetration and can show on pick and rolls.

His limitations are on offense. If you have a great pg who can create and then also want to pass and not shoot just to shoot, he would be better. His 3 pt shot is on and off and shouldn't be counted on other than a shot clock running down type thing.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Post#1550 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:05 pm

Crives wrote:Suns fan here...

Baynes has lousy hands, no handle, and not a lot of hops. If in any particular season he and his teammates can work around those limitations, then he's an excellent per-minute player that year because of his smart play, size, toughness and now a bit of 3-pt range.

Note: For some reason, he's almost always limited to 23-25 minutes at most.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#1551 » by Disinformation » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:02 pm

return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:

You’re setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Tatum will be a top 10 player anytime soon. I like Tatum a lot. But top 10 player in the league? That’s asking for a lot. That being said, I expect Tatum to be better this year than last year. I expect both Tatum and Hayward to be really good at the same time.

Yeah, unfortunately, I feel the same way. Tatum is a nice player but he doesn't look like a top 10 guy to me. Hope I am wrong.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#1552 » by Froob » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:52 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Conrad at sportslogos.net says the new Celtics City jersey won't be gold, but thinks that people will like it. I'm kind of excited.

Nevermind. Apparently they are. To honor the parquet.

Where'd you see this? Did Conrad backtrack on this?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#1553 » by Triple7 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:15 am

Disinformation wrote:
return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately, I feel the same way. Tatum is a nice player but he doesn't look like a top 10 guy to me. Hope I am wrong.

Yup that usually happens when guys starting to get cocky, after a good and promising rookie year, and to make matters worse, train with the greatest ball hog and chucker of all time in Kobe :lol: I’m sure it’s a humbling 2nd season performance, and i’m expecting a lot this year. He’s a good kid though, tons of upside.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1554 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:04 am

Froob wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Conrad at sportslogos.net says the new Celtics City jersey won't be gold, but thinks that people will like it. I'm kind of excited.

Some poster named ThunderCeltic gave a rundown. No idea if he was just guessing though. I'm kind of new to that forum so you would probably know better than I do.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,978

Post#1555 » by Froob » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:14 am

Froob wrote:

Some poster named ThunderCeltic gave a rundown. No idea if he was just guessing though. I'm kind of new to that forum so you would probably know better than I do.

He was just guessing.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1556 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:58 am

Five days to training camp. Hope this time things go better and we're a bit luckier health-wise. Only worry I have is our logjam at the SF/SG for this season, I mean roster worry. That's it. Obviously our big man rotation ain't spectacular, but I hope Brad can make Brown/Hayward/Tatum work somehow and we don't look like last season because of it, although I think it had a lot more to do with Kyrie/Terry/Morris than the other guys.

I'm expecting big things.
Good assessment:

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,226

Post#1557 » by Parliament10 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Quite the difference, huh?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
UNCBlue012
Analyst
And1: 4,139

Post#1558 » by UNCBlue012 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good for JB believing in himself but come on now.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#1559 » by drosereturn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:01 pm

UNCBlue012 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good for JB believing in himself but come on now.

So, Chicago might be interested in JB and Boston should like Porter since he can play the 4 as well.
Is there any way both teams can swap players if Boston doesnt plan on extending him?
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#1560 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:28 pm

thats how negotiations start though. brown's camp starts high, celts start low.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:

Return to Boston Celtics