ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc.

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,770

OT: Crypto, Stocks, Bonds, Real Estate, Investments, IRAs & Finances, etc. 

Post#1 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:37 pm

Toranaga on HSAs, how to use them, and why they are the most overpowered investment account available, page 4.
Spoiler:
Stannis wrote:
Toranaga wrote:I can talk about HSAs for hours so let me know if you want to know my strategy on how I use one, which in my opinion is the best way.

I definitely wouldn't mind that if you have the time. No rush as I won't be getting it until next month.

So I treat it strictly as an investment account and invest the entire balance.

If I have medical expenses throughout the year, I pay it out of my own pocket and scan the receipts to Google drive or whatever and keep a very simple spreadsheet of my medical expenses through the years to stay organized. The reason i do that is that there is NO time restriction on when I can reimburse myself for those medical expenses from the HSA and the reimbursement will be tax free.

So let's say I go to the doctor and get a $5k bill tomorrow. If I pay it out of pocket, I can reimburse myself 25 years from now if I want the $5k from the HSA and that withdrawal will be tax free.

So... 1) I contribute to the HSA tax free 2) It grows invested tax free and 3) I can withdraw the balance tax free if I have medical expenses covering the amount that I withdraw. I will pay zero taxes on that money and the investment gains, which is crazy and doesn't happen in this country. The reason you keep the receipts is in case the IRS comes knocking about your HSA withdrawals and all you need to do is provide the receipts covering the withdrawal.

And let's say I still have money left in the HSA when I'm 65, it just turns into another traditional IRA account and I'll be able to withdraw the funds for non medical expenses.

I'll always be on a HDHP for as long as I can strictly for the HSA advantages. I'm generally healthy too so that helps.

Aq_ua on mortgages, tax deductions, renting vs owning, Page 5.
Spoiler:
CharlesOakley wrote:How many of you "investors" are also carrying a high amount of debt? If you aren't debt-free (excluding your mortgage), you shouldn't be investing yet.

Picking up on this, I think it's probably worth clarifying when/why a mortgage can be excluded. Most people used to get tax deductions for the interest on their mortgage, but only if they file itemized deductions on their tax returns. The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act changed some of that math for people, where it makes more sense to take the standard deduction than itemized deductions. For those people, there is no longer any tax deduction available for mortgage interest. In a lot of ways, that probably changed a lot of math around the overall benefit of home ownership period.

My general advice is to always consider renting before buying. Investing the money you would have to put down on a home purchase will more likely generate a higher return than the potential rise in home prices from here on out. Plus, given how low rental yields are now, the same equivalent in rent for the costs associated in home ownership probably gets you a nicer place to live today.

Original Thread Starter Post:
Spoiler:
Which online brokers do you all recommend for stocks?

Has anybody used tastyworks or thinkorswim in particular?
Free Palestine
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Re: OT: Best Online Brokers? 

Post#2 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:02 pm

I use Interactive Brokers. low fees and good execution.
Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,195

Post#3 » by Kampuchea » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:11 pm

Think about banking relationship as well. I use Merrill because 1) I get free trades due to my BOA account 2) The interfaces connect to each other so I see my investment balance in the BOA app.

If no advantage exists from your bank, interactive brokers is a cost efficient one.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stannis » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Kampuchea wrote:Think about banking relationship as well. I use Merrill because 1) I get free trades due to my BOA account 2) The interfaces connect to each other so I see my investment balance in the BOA app.

If no advantage exists from your bank, interactive brokers is a cost efficient one.

Cool. I have BoA. A little embarrassed I didn't already look into that tbh.

Do you know if there is a minimum amount I need to have in order to get the free trades? If so, can it be in any of my BoA accounts or does it have to be in my investing account?
Free Palestine
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#5 » by Kampuchea » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:47 pm

Make sure you get free trades, it would be based on your status I think (I.e. silver/gold) . I just opened a small IRA, no minimum.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#6 » by br7knicks » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:36 am

Stannis wrote:Which online brokers do you all recommend for stocks?

you retired?

dammit...you're a good one
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,179

Post#7 » by aq_ua » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:06 am

tuna108 wrote:I use Interactive Brokers. low fees and good execution.

They also are very good with FX and help you to loan out shares to cover short positions and earn a little bit of side income.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stannis » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:37 pm

br7knicks wrote:

you retired?

I was never a mod here, I was just a mod on a pretty low pop board lol, but thanks!!

PS,I think they are all good!
Free Palestine
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,159

Post#9 » by Im Coming Home » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:40 pm

Is there stock brokers that will do the market stuff for you?

I've always wanted to try to get into stocks but with my limited knowledge it would seem like I'm just throwing away money... I would love to learn how to make passive income on the side of my regular job.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Stannis
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stannis » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:45 pm

Im Coming Home wrote:Is there stock brokers that will do the market stuff for you?

I've always wanted to try to get into stocks but with my limited knowledge it would seem like I'm just throwing away money... I would love to learn how to make passive income on the side of my regular job.

You have advisors but they take a bigger fee. I think Merrill wanted an extra $30 per trade if I talked to an advisor to execute a trade.

All it takes is some reading on some websites like Motley Fool.

You wouldn't be throwing away money at all. To get the hang of the process and stuff, just buy into low risk stuff (e.g. like Johnson & Johnson or Coca-Cola). Better than keeping everything in a bank and losing to inflation. As you learn more you can take more risk when you feel more comfortable.

As long as you don't try to get rich quick, you definitely won't be throwing away money.
Free Palestine
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#11 » by br7knicks » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 pm

Stannis wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

you retired?

I was never a mod here, I was just a mod on a pretty low pop board lol, but thanks!!

PS,I think they are all good!

theyre definitely all good, but i like some more than others, even if i dont agree with them on things!
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Kampuchea
RealGM

Post#12 » by Kampuchea » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:49 pm

I only dislike mods that ban me. I think thuggery banned me when I was intoxicated and shamgod was enjoying the spectacle.

Also I think Clyde banned me but he was higher than a mother.

Stannis never banned me so I was willing to share the relevant info for the OP
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,159

Post#13 » by Im Coming Home » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:23 am

Stannis wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:Is there stock brokers that will do the market stuff for you?

You have advisors but they take a bigger fee. I think Merrill wanted an extra $30 per trade if I talked to an advisor to execute a trade.

You wouldn't be throwing away money at all. To get the hang of the process and stuff, just buy into low risk stuff (e.g. like Johnson & Johnson or Coca-Cola). Better than keeping everything in a bank and losing to inflation. As you learn more you can take more risk when you feel more comfortable.

As long as you don't try to get rich quick, you definitely won't be throwing away money.

How long does it take to see it 'work' then?

I'm good with sitting on stocks if thats what you mean, cause I've been doing that with cryptocurrency for a few years now since that crashed, so I been hoping and waiting for it to come up again in a few years..

I do want to learn for sure though.
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
Stannis
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stannis » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:52 am

Im Coming Home wrote:
Stannis wrote:

How long does it take to see it 'work' then?

I'm good with sitting on stocks if thats what you mean, cause I've been doing that with cryptocurrency for a few years now since that crashed, so I been hoping and waiting for it to come up again in a few years..

I do want to learn for sure though.

I'm no expert. But I read Warren Buffet said to be prepared to sit on stock for 10+ years

That's cool that you got into crypto. I never learned and felt I missed out
Free Palestine
aq_ua
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,179

Post#15 » by aq_ua » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:06 am

If we're making this a broader investment thread...

Has anyone looked into depth on factor investing?

The evidence seems to be compelling to about getting value and size factors in addition to straight market beta, but I'm also getting mixed signals about the ability of ETFs to actually provide exposure to those factors without introducing significant noise from sector concentration or just high expenses.

I'm not looking at alpha, which has kept me away from smart beta, but even that strategy seems to be prone to introducing unwanted and uncompensated risk.
Garbagelo
Veteran
And1: 3,151

Post#16 » by Garbagelo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:15 am

Robinhood if you make small trades

Interactive brokers for big ones
Stannis
RealGM

Post#17 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:35 am

aq_ua wrote:If we're making this a broader investment thread...

Has anyone looked into depth on factor investing?

The evidence seems to be compelling to about getting value and size factors in addition to straight market beta, but I'm also getting mixed signals about the ability of ETFs to actually provide exposure to those factors without introducing significant noise from sector concentration or just high expenses.

I'm not looking at alpha, which has kept me away from smart beta, but even that strategy seems to be prone to introducing unwanted and uncompensated risk.

I decided to make this a general investment thread so maybe somebody can help.

I got more questions myself.
Free Palestine
ZKnicks
Junior
And1: 276

Re: OT: Investment Thread (Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, IRAs, etc.) 

Post#18 » by ZKnicks » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:59 am

Buy some Bitcoin
Lock it up in cold storage
Don’t touch it for 7-10 years
Retire
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#19 » by Dave DaButcher » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:15 am

Race to the bottom in on-line commissions following Schwab’s announcement this week of no commission trading on stocks, ETFs and options. Others now are following suit. There may be account minimums and other requirements to qualify.

Otherwise, personally, I am getting increasingly nervous about the market. Recession risks are rising and there’s a crazy person in the White House. Plus, the market is not cheap following a long in the tooth bull market that’s now in its 11th year.

It’s best attribute may be that there’s seemingly no attractive alternative to stocks these days except perhaps just cold hard cash.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#20 » by robillionaire » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:17 am

invest in clean water food that won’t perish and guns

Return to New York Knicks