ImageImageImage

Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

SkillzFromThe6
Junior
And1: 355

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#21 » by SkillzFromThe6 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:05 pm

I'm VERY excited to see MPJ or Bol Bol become good or even great in the future. Even if none of them do not live up to expectations, Nuggets are still a great team without both.
thomas1897
Junior
And1: 86

Post#22 » by thomas1897 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 10:49 pm

How will the Denver Nuggets use Michael Porter? This team has a structure and players who have develop good habits and work well within this system. There are players ahead of Mr. Porter can he compete to get a good amount of playing time on this team. I can not tell you but I can see there is limited minutes available. So Mr. Porter has to prove himself to be better and compete for minutes. Be patient for training camp and see the outcome.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#23 » by skywalker33 » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:25 pm

thomas1897 wrote:How will the Denver Nuggets use Michael Porter? This team has a structure and players who have develop good habits and work well within this system. There are players ahead of Mr. Porter can he compete to get a good amount of playing time on this team. I can not tell you but I can see there is limited minutes available. So Mr. Porter has to prove himself to be better and compete for minutes. Be patient for training camp and see the outcome.

Agreed that training camp is going to be the beginning of proving himself and how deserving he is of minutes. His draft status and potential will give him more latitude and hopefully he'll get a good evaluation
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#24 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 5, 2019 11:37 pm

thomas1897 wrote:How will the Denver Nuggets use Michael Porter? This team has a structure and players who have develop good habits and work well within this system. There are players ahead of Mr. Porter can he compete to get a good amount of playing time on this team. I can not tell you but I can see there is limited minutes available. So Mr. Porter has to prove himself to be better and compete for minutes. Be patient for training camp and see the outcome.

Here's how I see our forwards with at least 3 solid PFs and at least 3 SFs ahead of Porter:

PF = Millsap - Grant - Vanderbilt - Cancar -plus- Plumlee and maybe Bol and even Hernangomez
SF = Barton - Craig - Hernangomez - Porter -plus- Beasley and maybe Grant or Vanderbilt

He's going to have to fight with Craig & Hernangomez for backup SF minutes and he has no chance for PF minutes. Even worse for Porter is that Malone tends to avoid using rookies and even second year players unless they really impress him.
skywalker33

Post#25 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 12:56 am

NuggetsWY wrote:

Here's how I see our forwards with at least 3 solid PFs and at least 3 SFs ahead of Porter:

PF = Millsap - Grant - Vanderbilt - Cancar -plus- Plumlee and maybe Bol and even Hernangomez
SF = Barton - Craig - Hernangomez - Porter -plus- Beasley and maybe Grant or Vanderbilt

He's going to have to fight with Craig & Hernangomez for backup SF minutes and he has no chance for PF minutes. Even worse for Porter is that Malone tends to avoid using rookies and even second year players unless they really impress him.

Monte Morris was a 2nd year player much as MPJ is, he (Morris) got a lot of playing time from Malone. As for those playing in front of him, JV, Cancar, Craig seem easily passable for PT. Hard to say if it will happen but MPJ has the talent and can create mismatches better than the aforementioned players.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#26 » by The Rebel » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:43 am

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Monte Morris was a 2nd year player much as MPJ is, he (Morris) got a lot of playing time from Malone. As for those playing in front of him, JV, Cancar, Craig seem easily passable for PT. Hard to say if it will happen but MPJ has the talent and can create mismatches better than the aforementioned players.

If MPJ is as good as they are hyping him than he will find minutes, Malone has been good at finding minutes for his top potential guys. It is the 2nd tier guys that he struggles to find time.

I also think cancar is our 3rd Center and will likely get garbage/injury minutes there until he proves he deserves more. Google has his height as 6'11", he has enough ball handling, shooting, and passing skills to not force a complete change in the offense when Jokic leaves the court. It makes sense to see if you can develop him to replace Plumlee next year.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,760

Post#27 » by TunaFish » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:06 am

Some compilations from MPJ's summer workouts. I ask you, does this guy appear injured?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MPSyD5DSrEA
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33

Post#28 » by skywalker33 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:03 am

TunaFish wrote:Some compilations from MPJ's summer workouts. I ask you, does this guy appear injured?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MPSyD5DSrEA

As much as I like drinking the kool-aid, I'll wait the season to see if it turns into champagne

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#29 » by Powder Blue » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 pm

MPJ workout videos are like the Fyre Fest promos at this point...
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#30 » by TunaFish » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:40 am

Powder Blue wrote:MPJ workout videos are like the Fyre Fest promos at this point...

I remember that one, Knicks fans were out of control about that guy. Let's hope MPJ is better than him.
Canned in Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#31 » by Coeur » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Skill set taken into account I’m assuming they’d like him to become the starter eventually as a shooter and 3rd scorer. I’d guess until trades are made that they have to hope they can start mpj or hernangomez because they shouldn’t try to play Harris, Craig, and Grant all together. I guess the might start millsap and Craig?

Mpj may start or he may not get a bit of meaningful time. There are just too many guys to play and the choice will be to lower everyone’s trade value or pick a few and sit them out
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Coeur wrote:Skill set taken into account I’m assuming they’d like him to become the starter eventually as a shooter and 3rd scorer. I’d guess until trades are made that they have to hope they can start mpj or hernangomez because they shouldn’t try to play Harris, Craig, and Grant all together. I guess the might start millsap and Craig?

Mpj may start or he may not get a bit of meaningful time. There are just too many guys to play and the choice will be to lower everyone’s trade value or pick a few and sit them out

Grant shot 50% FGA w/39% from 3 - he could start next to Millsap.
Not sure what Malone will do, but I doubt he starts Porter unless he's really impressive during camp & pre-season. I'd prefer Hernangomez starts because he seems to fit better based on past experience. I love Craig coming off the bench as a stopper. But I seriously expect him to start Barton - at least for a while.

As for your statement about not playing "Harris, Craig and Grant all together"; why? Harris can shoot, Grant can shoot, Craig gets hot now and then. Harris can play defense, Grant can play defense, Craig can play defense.
TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#33 » by TunaFish » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Coeur wrote:Skill set taken into account I’m assuming they’d like him to become the starter eventually as a shooter and 3rd scorer. I’d guess until trades are made that they have to hope they can start mpj or hernangomez because they shouldn’t try to play Harris, Craig, and Grant all together. I guess the might start millsap and Craig?

Grant shot 50% FGA w/39% from 3 - he could start next to Millsap.
Not sure what Malone will do, but I doubt he starts Porter unless he's really impressive during camp & pre-season. I'd prefer Hernangomez starts because he seems to fit better based on past experience. I love Craig coming off the bench as a stopper. But I seriously expect him to start Barton - at least for a while.

As for your statement about not playing "Harris, Craig and Grant all together"; why? Harris can shoot, Grant can shoot, Craig gets hot now and then. Harris can play defense, Grant can play defense, Craig can play defense.

I couldn't agree more. That's about what I see, crystal balls being what they are. It's the injuries that screw every prognostication up.

Harris, Craig and Grant should thrive with Jokic running the show and Murray positioning for a catch and shoot. Also, you don't dismiss the possibility that Porter (MPJ) will be given an opportunity to impress.

Everywhere I look nationally (about the Nuggets) it seems there's always a note about MPJ, as a variable that no one can predict. The ingredients are there for something special and nearly all of us are on edge for the first reports out of training camp about him. If Connelly hits on this pick, then the ride will really take off. It may even without him, that's how good they appear to be.

Good time to be a Nugget's fan.
Canned in Denver.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#34 » by Coeur » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 pm

It’s going to be a great time to be a Nuggets fan when they find a millsap + consolidation trade. This current team will be a top 3 seed. If they add one of the missing pieces the Nugs could become legitimate contenders.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:53 pm

Coeur wrote:It’s going to be a great time to be a Nuggets fan when they find a millsap + consolidation trade. This current team will be a top 3 seed. If they add one of the missing pieces the Nugs could become legitimate contenders.

:uhoh: "... will be a top 3 seed"? :confused:
There are plenty of people saying the Nuggets are a top 3 seed. Maybe you've forgotten where they finished last season? I'm not saying they are #1 seed but top 3? Yeah, the argument can be made. They've improved during the off-season: Grant & Porter & Vanderbilt. I think this team is ready. If one or two "questionables" don't work out, they're still pretty good.
skywalker33

Post#36 » by skywalker33 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Coeur wrote:It’s going to be a great time to be a Nuggets fan when they find a millsap + consolidation trade. This current team will be a top 3 seed. If they add one of the missing pieces the Nugs could become legitimate contenders.

Well, in my mind we're already a top 3 seen until proven otherwise. As for a Millsap trade, I don't see that as likely. I think the FO will let his contract expire and utilize that cap money on our other FA's like Grant, Beasley and perhaps Hernangomez

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by NuggetsWY » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:16 pm

According to the Denver Post; Porter will not have a minutes restriction during the season. Sounds like the Nuggets believe he is 100%.
skywalker33

Post#38 » by skywalker33 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:23 am

Still betting we won't see a ton of mins for Porter Jr, you know Malone doesn't like to play rookies at all

TunaFish
Head Coach

Post#39 » by TunaFish » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:16 am

skywalker33 wrote:Still betting we won't see a ton of mins for Porter Jr, you know Malone doesn't like to play rookies at all

He does have one advantage over any incoming rookie. He has been practicing with his team for a significant period of time.
Canned in Denver.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#40 » by Powder Blue » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:48 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:According to the Denver Post; Porter will not have a minutes restriction during the season. Sounds like the Nuggets believe he is 100%.

For now...

Return to Denver Nuggets