2020 Draft

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Re: 2020 Draft 

Post#81 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:36 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Wow, he's already 225? One thing I couldn't help notice on the videos of him, he looks like he's always focused, and there's no wasted motion - whether he's looking to pass, shoot, or defend. Seems like he's always in attack mode.

Yeah, that size and athleticism are really impressive -- especially considering he should be a HS Senior this year. He's a physical beast. I'm really interested in how he develops this year.

(Side NOTE: I wish this was the good old days when guys stayed in college for 2-3 years and added more polish to their games before going pro. He'd do well with some steady high-level coaching for consecutive years.)

Either way, he'll likely be a beast at age 23.

Wow...! He does look phenomenal! Can't wait to see him this college season.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#82 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:09 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Wow, he's already 225? One thing I couldn't help notice on the videos of him, he looks like he's always focused, and there's no wasted motion - whether he's looking to pass, shoot, or defend. Seems like he's always in attack mode.

Yeah, that size and athleticism are really impressive -- especially considering he should be a HS Senior this year. He's a physical beast. I'm really interested in how he develops this year.

(Side NOTE: I wish this was the good old days when guys stayed in college for 2-3 years and added more polish to their games before going pro. He'd do well with some steady high-level coaching for consecutive years.)

Either way, he'll likely be a beast at age 23.

You think he’s #1 on Atlanta’s board ? Or are they hoping for someone like Wiseman who could be a rim protector
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#83 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:43 am

Illmatic12 wrote:You think he’s #1 on Atlanta’s board ? Or are they hoping for someone like Wiseman who could be a rim protector

:dontknow:

It's really tough to say. Seeing how much we paid to move up and draft an elite role player like De'Andre Hunter, it's clear our GM is adding players that fit a specific culture, system, timeline and lineup.

Yet, it'd be hard for us to turn down an elite talent in the draft at any position besides PG. I suspect our front office would strongly consider trading a top-4 pick unless the player projects to be a Zion-esqe, franchise changing star.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#84 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:You think he’s #1 on Atlanta’s board ? Or are they hoping for someone like Wiseman who could be a rim protector

:dontknow:

It's really tough to say. Seeing how much we paid to move up and draft an elite role player like De'Andre Hunter, it's clear our GM is adding players that fit a specific culture, system, timeline and lineup.

Yet, it'd be hard for us to turn down an elite talent in the draft at any position besides PG. I suspect our front office would strongly consider trading a top-4 pick unless the player projects to be a Zion-esqe, franchise changing star.

That’s interesting in this particular draft year, so many of the lotto prospects are PGs or SGs .. they very well might end up in a situation where trade the pick
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#85 » by prime1time » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:19 pm

It is still too early to talk about these guys in my opinion. At least smell and Hampton have some non-high school non-pickup tale out. But with everyone else we really don’t know.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#86 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:00 am

So uhh... yeah. Never mind about the Wizards drafting LaMelo ..

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I am guessing Leonsis doesn’t want anything to do with the Ball family :lol:
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#87 » by trast66 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:10 am

Illmatic12 wrote:So uhh... yeah. Never mind about the Wizards drafting LaMelo ..

Read on Twitter
?s=21

wow! Every so often Ted lays the wood on twitter.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#88 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:17 pm

trast66 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:So uhh... yeah. Never mind about the Wizards drafting LaMelo ..

Read on Twitter
?s=21

wow! Every so often Ted lays the wood on twitter.

But... Ted might see he could make a fortune with a Ball family reality tv show - maybe start a Monumental TV network... sports, gambling, tv network, Ted's pet projects... Monumental is going to be a dynasty folks. B'leedat.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#89 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

So... Lamelo Ball won't be coming here? Is that right? 8-)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#90 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:...Ted might see he could make a fortune with a Ball family reality tv show - maybe start a Monumental TV network... sports, gambling, tv network, Ted's pet projects... Monumental is going to be a dynasty folks. B'leedat.

I just now realized that if Ted renamed the Wizards as "The Washington Monumentals" it would be perfect.

Be about 90 minutes before someone referred to the team as "The Washington Mentals."

If only he'd renamed them that way during the Ernie era!!!!!!!
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#91 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 pm

payitforward wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

So... Lamelo Ball won't be coming here? Is that right? 8-)

Lol I’ll say this, I’d at least much prefer him over Lonzo (not sure who started these rumors but obviously this was false as well)

https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/Rumor-Wizards-would-ask-for-Lonzo-Ball-in-Bradley-Beal-trade-132322396/
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#92 » by Shoe » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He seems like the next 6'4 all-star lead guard a la Westbrook, Oladipo, Wall, Holiday

Cole Anthony UNC scrimmage

Just a scrimmage but it looks like he has zero defensive presence.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#93 » by prime1time » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:20 am

The question I have for Cole Anthony is how well can he play defense? Because if he's going to be weak defensively, his offense will need to be outstanding. I like Edwards, but how well can he create? Tough to be a lead guard in the NBA if you can create offense with your passing.
Shoe
Bench Warmer

Post#94 » by Shoe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Edwards and Wiseman are probably the tier 1 players aka the guys worth throwing away an entire season for.

Ball might be in that tier too playing the Curry, Harden, Trae Young role with incredible touch

Read on Twitter

Achiuwa and McDaniels are the high ceiling forwards with weak half court games. Could see a Nassir Little type drop.

Avdija is hard to tell. It seems too soon to have another Doncic show up. I think Sheppard penchant for international players could lead us to getting him.
Shoe
Bench Warmer

Post#95 » by Shoe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Goes without saying but if the Wizards are actually tanking and they end up with anything but a top 3 pick it'll be a massive disappointment. Wiseman, Edwards, Ball are the measurements + talent guys. Outside of that you're gonna be fishing for a DeRozan, PG, Kemba, Booker, Mitchell in the late lottery (Raptors drafting DeRozan actually ended up winning them a title. Spurs wouldn't have traded Kawhi for Jennings who was the pick after)

Early in the season last year the first prospect I said I wanted was Hachimura purely for the all star votes he would attract. If I'm making another early attention getter pick it's gotta be Mannion. No idea if he can play at a pro level but the gawky red head white kid would be a Lin esque fan favorite.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#96 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:07 pm

IMO, when Mike Schmitz thinks a guy is good, he's probably very very good!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#97 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Shoe wrote:Early in the season last year the first prospect I said I wanted was Hachimura purely for the all star votes he would attract. If I'm making another early attention getter pick it's gotta be Mannion. No idea if he can play at a pro level but the gawky red head white kid would be a Lin esque fan favorite.

Read on Twitter

Mannion fits the profile of the exact type of guy I'd like: a combo guard who can both pass and shoot. Hopefully he can defend too.

I envision a future Wizards team built around Beal with a guy like Mannion at point (Garland would have been nice as well). Beal would play SG, TBJ at SF, Hachimura at PF and Bryant at center. That's a starting 5 that would cost just $62M or so in 2021. If Wall can be moved, that's a team that could add a superstar free agent. Or if Wall stays, it's still a nice 3-guard rotation and there's enough cap room for one more good front court player.
Shoe
Bench Warmer

Post#98 » by Shoe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:47 pm

nate33 wrote:
Shoe wrote:Early in the season last year the first prospect I said I wanted was Hachimura purely for the all star votes he would attract. If I'm making another early attention getter pick it's gotta be Mannion. No idea if he can play at a pro level but the gawky red head white kid would be a Lin esque fan favorite.

Read on Twitter

Mannion fits the profile of the exact type of guy I'd like: a combo guard who can both pass and shoot. Hopefully he can defend too.

I envision a future Wizards team built around Beal with a guy like Mannion at point (Garland would have been nice as well). Beal would play SG, TBJ at SF, Hachimura at PF and Bryant at center. That's a starting 5 that would cost just $62M or so in 2021. If Wall can be moved, that's a team that could add a superstar free agent. Or if Wall stays, it's still a nice 3-guard rotation and there's enough cap room for one more good front court player.

I have no clue about his game I just know he can make highlight reel dunks. From the brief clips I've seen I surmise he has the athleticism to be a good NBA player and not just a nice college but pro flame out player. I think the Wizards are going to be in consolation prize territory rather than blue chip lottery winner territory so Mannion fits that draft position. I like the vision of the 3 guard rotation which we tried with Wall, Beal, and Sato but it was too little too late.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#99 » by dangermouse » Tue Oct 1, 2019 3:20 am

This Sunday marks the first home game for the Illawarra Hawks, so my first opportunity to see Ball in person in games that matter.

I'll try and go easy on the frothies before the game and give you guys my thoughts afterwards!
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,492

Post#100 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards