Image ImageImage Image

KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#1 » by Chi town » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:17 pm

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-mailbag-new-guy-insider-kc-johnson-answers-your-questions

Coby with 20-24 mins per night

Dunn to start.

I personally think Sato will start but split time with 2nd unit and play SF next to White at SG and Dunn at PG.

Sato/Lavine/Otto/Lauri/WCJ
Dunn/White/Sato/Thad/Kornet

I'm not counting on Val or Hutch at all and KC says org wants White playing.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,899

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#2 » by weneeda2guard » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:38 pm

Everyone looks great in practice

Need to see it in real time to believe it

Still edging Sato for the starter.

If dunn looks great it's a better situation for us. But dunn has had his shot.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#3 » by logical_art » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Chi town wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-mailbag-new-guy-insider-kc-johnson-answers-your-questions

Dunn to start.

I personally think Sato will start but split time with 2nd unit and play SF next to White at SG and Dunn at PG.

Where does it say that he will start?

Wanted to get your input on the point guard position this year. Coby White is coming into the season as the first-round draft pick with a lot of upside and excitement. Meanwhile, we have Kris Dunn who has shown flashes of leading the Bulls with good point guard play, but injuries and inconsistent play has forced him out of the lineup. Who starts this year? How fast do they implement the rookie or is it Dunn’s job to lose? - Bernardo G.

Tomas Satoransky would like a word. I think most followers of the team would agree that Satoransky will be starting at some point, if not Opening Night. There’s also plenty of speculation that Dunn won’t be on the team past the February trade deadline. As for White, he needs to play. And he needs to play through some mistakes. That’s why the organizational projection, for now, is for him to be playing 20-24 minutes per night.
logical_art
RealGM

Post#4 » by logical_art » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Despite the rampant trade rumors, it seems like Kris Dunn is going to be on the Opening Day roster. Do you think he’ll better adjust to playing off the ball this year? He could really slide into an area of need with his ability to defend shooting guard and small forward but his shooting likely is what it is at this point. - Nick P.

Your point about defense is a valid one, particularly if Dunn embraces a reserve role. Let’s say Satoransky eventually starts at point guard.
That leaves a projected second unit of Dunn, Denzel Valentine, Chandler Hutchison, Young and either Daniel Gafford or, more likely, Kornet. The way the roster is set up, seeing Jim Boylen stagger some of his starters’ minutes is almost guaranteed. Dunn can be a defensive presence alongside either LaVine or Satoransky if their minutes are staggered to overlap with Dunn’s. He’s still arguably the best one-on-one perimeter defender on the roster. Plus, if he plays well early, perhaps his trade value increases.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#5 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 pm

logical_art wrote:
Chi town wrote:https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-mailbag-new-guy-insider-kc-johnson-answers-your-questions

Dunn to start.

Wanted to get your input on the point guard position this year. Coby White is coming into the season as the first-round draft pick with a lot of upside and excitement. Meanwhile, we have Kris Dunn who has shown flashes of leading the Bulls with good point guard play, but injuries and inconsistent play has forced him out of the lineup. Who starts this year? How fast do they implement the rookie or is it Dunn’s job to lose? - Bernardo G.

Tomas Satoransky would like a word. I think most followers of the team would agree that Satoransky will be starting at some point, if not Opening Night. There’s also plenty of speculation that Dunn won’t be on the team past the February trade deadline. As for White, he needs to play. And he needs to play through some mistakes. That’s why the organizational projection, for now, is for him to be playing 20-24 minutes per night.

The last answer.
logical_art
RealGM

Post#6 » by logical_art » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 pm

Ah ok. But he's clearly all over the place with what he thinks will happen.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#7 » by CoreyVillains » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 pm

logical_art wrote:

Dunn to start.

Who do you see as the starting five Opening Night? Coby over Kris at PG? – Eric B.

With the qualifier that I fully can change my mind, I’m going with Dunn, LaVine, Porter, Markkanen and Carter with Satoransky, Valentine, White, Young and Kornet prominently in the rotation.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#8 » by Jeffster81 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Dunn's a better fit on the 2nd team not as a starter.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#9 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:56 pm

I'd have a hard time believing the Bulls would start Dunn after they were willing to move him for Justin Holiday or boiled peanuts in the offseason.

KC is just making a prediction though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,384

Post#10 » by Hangtime84 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:37 pm

Pre season might determine a lot of these guys minutes.
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#11 » by Repeat 3-peat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:49 pm

We won't know how this shakes out until training camp.

If Dunn wins the starting spot, good for him. We are in need of a breakout player.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#12 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:51 pm

logical_art wrote:Ah ok. But he's clearly all over the place with what he thinks will happen.

KC always the risk taker and bold claim maker. “Dunn will start. no Sato will start. White will need big minutes. And Archi is great”

All in the same article. Thanks for the hot stuff KC.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#13 » by Red8911 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:57 pm

If they don’t trade Dunn then he wouldn’t be bad off the bench. Imo that was always his real role and not to rely on him as a starting PG. Dunn and Coby will be a solid bench backcourt. Satoransky is the the better fit and the better option to start next to Lavine.
Chi town
RealGM

Re: KC Mailbag 

Post#14 » by Chi town » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:45 am

Red Larrivee wrote:I'd have a hard time believing the Bulls would start Dunn after they were willing to move him for Justin Holiday or boiled peanuts in the offseason.

KC is just making a prediction though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think the Bulls want to win. If Val and Hutch are no goes and Dunn has learned to play off ball I can see Boylen playing Sato at the 2 and 3.

Boylen said over the summer he’s our starter as of now.

I think Sato will start but play a Bogans role for first 8 mins of each half. Dunn will be the backup PG and White will play mostly SG as Floor spacer and running off screens. Dunn and White will share ball handling duties and look to push the pace.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#15 » by Chi town » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:47 am

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
logical_art wrote:Ah ok. But he's clearly all over the place with what he thinks will happen.

KC always the risk taker and bold claim maker. “Dunn will start. no Sato will start. White will need big minutes. And Archi is great”

All in the same article. Thanks for the hot stuff KC.

We all know Sato will eventually be the starter. KC is stating the same. If Val and Hutch don’t play you kinda have to plug Sato in there. I don’t think Thad can play any SF anymore either.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#16 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:11 am

If Dunn's looking great in practice translates in a meaningful way to the actual season....we are in for a helluva regular season.

When defensively sound players start putting it together in other facets of the game, it's a treat to watch.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#17 » by GimmeDat » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:06 am

Just saw a video on twitter of KC saying he thinks Dunn's moved for wing depth at some point.

Maybe he is playing well in training camp, the writing's probably still on the wall, though. Doubt he starts.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Post#18 » by HomoSapien » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:19 am

I think he'll start to begin the season, despite their obvious desire to trade him. I think there's a few things in play here.

1.) The Bulls want to build up his trade value.

2.) There's still some hope that he can turn it around. After all, this is the guy who was almost the center piece for the Butler trade the year before it ended up happening. Because of that, he's got to have some supporters left in the organization.

Regardless, I think the writing is on the wall. Satoransky will end up taking Dunn's job and White is penciled in as the future.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,882

Post#19 » by nomorezorro » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:43 am

not only is it silly to start a guy you're hoping to trade as soon as possible, it's also hard to track why starting would be the best situation for making kris dunn play good

we've seen him play next to our most important starters and he wasn't good at it! as a second unit guy you could at least argue it'd make more sense to put the ball in his hands offensively + he'd fare better against bench lineups than starting defenses
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,882

Post#20 » by nomorezorro » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:44 am

controversially, i think the bulls should start their best five-man unit + not plot their decision-making around the future of a guy nobody thinks will be on the team next season
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.

Return to Chicago Bulls