Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#481 » by nate33 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 am

Rafael122 wrote:
Mojo Amok wrote:Wall’s supermax is now only going to be 34% of the cap in 2022 if the projections are correct and the salary cap hits $125 million that year (as per the wiretap article).

Even with that contract on the books, the Wizards might have some decent cap room available to go shopping during the 2021 summer free-agent market.

I'm convinced they could have carried Wall/Porter/Beal's deals on the books. The cap was always going to go up again, it was moreso Mahinmi's contract that handcuffed this team on doing anything.

Porter costs $27.25M

Wall, Beal, Brown, Hachimura and Mahinmi alone would cost $89M. Those costs were fixed. Add Porter and we're already up to $116.25M for 4 guys who can actually play (plus Wall who can't play and Mahinmi who may or may not be playable).

To stay under the luxtax, the other 8 guys on the roster could cost no more than $16M. Bryant by himself is $8M. That leaves $8M for 7 guys. Basically, they would all be minimum salary vets. We could afford IT as his experienced-vet-minimum cost, and perhaps McRae as well, but the rest of the minimum salary vets would have to be first year guys like Justin Robinson and Phil Booth. We could not have made the Lakers trade. We could not have bought the 2nd round pick for Schofield. We'd have no Bedrans, Ish Smith or CJ Miles. Basically, the team would be:

PG Thomas
SG Beal/McRae
SF Porter/Brown
PF Hachimura
C Bryant/Mahinmi

Plus 6 rookie walk ons.

Maybe that could work if Isaiah Thomas returned to form and everyone stayed perfectly healthy, but there is no margin for error. One injury and we'd be playing the likes of Phil Booth 20 minutes a game. And I shudder to think of what our big man depth would look like given that we'd be dealing only with rookie walk ons. We couldn't even afford guys like Noah or Faried. It would have to be guys from the G League.

Furthermore, we'd continue to be totally hamstrung going forward. We'd get Wall back and the increase in cap would allow us to afford our draft pick, but we'd struggle to find someone to replace Mahinmi and we wouldn't be adding any other vets.

Personally, I can live with the decision to unload Porter. Sato is the guy I regret losing. If we had played our cards right, we'd have Sato and Bedrans who, combined, are probably worth more than Porter alone, while costing $10M less.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#482 » by truwizfan4evr » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:43 pm

I really hope Justin Anderson sticks around he's a really good and underrated player.
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man
And1: 500

Post#483 » by The Consiglieri » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:23 am

payitforward wrote:Yeah, I also disliked the move to acquire Miles. Why not just cut Howard & sign a younger player for @ $3m? The salary hit would have been the same. Layman was the obvious target.

But... maybe Layman wasn't actually available to us? & we'd just added 7 guys & re-inked Bryant. Average age of those 8 guys: 21 years old. I can see why Tommy hit on C.J. Miles. I still don't love the deal. But, he'll be here & gone in a blink. Plus... maybe someone will give us a R2 pick for him at the deadline?

This points up the key fact about the off season: we had nothing to work with! Our only asset was the #9 pick. & some $$ to trade for a R2 pick. We had no trade assets. We didn't have a ton of cap room to spend on established players. Basically, we had nothing -- plus a negative (Howard). & we used that "nothing + a negative" to acquire 8 players: Robinson, Matthews, Booth, Bonga, Jones, Wagner, Bertans & Miles.

In that sense, I guess how good the off season looks in retrospect will come down to how many of the 6 young guys on that list develop into good NBA players. E.g. if there are 4 NBA players among them, it'll look like a triumph! Even 3 would be amazing.

I'll add one other layer. The perception of potential competence. As long as you look like the NBA's version of the Redskins, what FA will even give you a second thought? Otoh, s can the incompetent halfwit, hire some well respected guys that work on both the tape scouting and analytics side of things, make some wise signings, maybe a great draft pick if we're lucky, suddenly the perception in NBA circles might change too, "Once they can get Wall off the books, they're interesting."

Even if the dart throw prospects acquired all bust, the perception of the franchise itself for FA's and Agents has got to be significantly better now than it's been in decades. That in and of itself is a legit positive going forward regardless of those prospects.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#484 » by dckingsfan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Training camp starts October 1st - wow, that went fast.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#485 » by payitforward » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm

The Consiglieri wrote:
payitforward wrote:...I guess how good the off season looks in retrospect will come down to how many of the 6 young guys ...develop into good NBA players. E.g. if there are 4 NBA players among them, it'll look like a triumph! Even 3 would be amazing.

I'll add one other layer. The perception of potential competence. As long as you look like the NBA's version of the Redskins, what FA will even give you a second thought? Otoh, s can the incompetent halfwit, hire some well respected guys that work on both the tape scouting and analytics side of things, make some wise signings, maybe a great draft pick if we're lucky, suddenly the perception in NBA circles might change too, "Once they can get Wall off the books, they're interesting."

Even if the dart throw prospects acquired all bust, the perception of the franchise itself for FA's and Agents has got to be significantly better now than it's been in decades. That in and of itself is a legit positive going forward regardless of those prospects.

For sure. Once you get the manhole cover off your head (i.e. Ernie), you start to look like there's a chance you'll be able to stand up straight & maybe even begin moving. :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#486 » by prime1time » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:33 am

https://art19.com/shows/wizards-tipoff
Really good to listen to this podcast with Beal. Like I've said in the past, it makes no sense to trade this guy when he fully embraces leading the team.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#487 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 am

prime1time wrote:https://art19.com/shows/wizards-tipoff
Really good to listen to this podcast with Beal. Like I've said in the past, it makes no sense to trade this guy when he fully embraces leading the team.

Yes I heard this earlier and was so impressed with Brad’s maturity and leadership. I don’t know how anyone could listen to the man answer those questions and not immediately understand why the Wizards aren’t trading him.

“Why don’t the Wizards trade Beal what are they doing omg” uhh well if the guy was being a whiny B and quitting on his team like AD, Butler etc then obviously the Wizards would’ve traded him by now. Turns out he’s not cut from that cloth - he’s built for leadership and that’s what he’ll bring to DC for years to come.

Side note but Brad sounds really excited about Rui after having seen him in practice, you never heard him talk about Otto or even Kelly’s upside in such glowing terms “I’m not even trying to be disrespectful but he’s so similar to Kawhi”
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#488 » by prime1time » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:43 am

Illmatic12 wrote:

Yes I heard this earlier and was so impressed with Brad’s maturity and leadership. I don’t know how anyone could listen to the man answer those questions and not immediately understand why the Wizards aren’t trading him.

“Why don’t the Wizards trade Beal what are they doing omg” uhh well if the guy was being a whiny B and quitting on his team like AD, Butler etc then obviously the Wizards would’ve traded him by now. Turns out he’s not cut from that cloth - he’s built for leadership and that’s what he’ll bring to DC for years to come.

Side note but Brad sounds really excited about Rui after having seen him in practice, you never heard him talk about Otto or even Kelly’s upside in such glowing terms “I’m not even trying to be disrespectful but he’s so similar to Kawhi”

Yup, I posted the same podcast in the Rui thread. I also love how they talked about his work ethic and his demeanor. We might not win a lot of games, but I'm fine with that. The previous Wizards teams that would lose to teams they were better than was such a downer. Let's come out, compete really hard and let the chips fall where they may. Worse comes to worst we have a high draft pick next year.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#489 » by DCZards » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:42 am

A few takeaways:

1. Beal is ALL IN on leading this team and setting an example that will raise the commitment to getting better and, hopefully, the performance of his young teammates.
2. For the first time in either Beal’s or Chris Miller’s memory the ENTIRE team in in DC early playing and working out together.
3. This is a team made up of primarily of extremely hard workers and there is a genuine belief that they will win some games simply because they out worked and out hustled their opponents.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#490 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:01 am

Full Sheppard presser:

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#491 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Didn't know where to put this:

Read on Twitter

I'm really interested in the official heights of both Beal and Wall. I think both guys have grown since they were drafted.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#492 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:59 pm

nate33 wrote:Didn't know where to put this:

Read on Twitter

I'm really interested in the official heights of both Beal and Wall. I think both guys have grown since they were drafted.

Interesting. I hope the NBA publishes that info... or someone outside the NBA "gains access" and reports it.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#493 » by montestewart » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:02 pm

nate33 wrote:Didn't know where to put this:

Read on Twitter

It seems like their current offical heights are greater than their listed draft heights. Beal (current official height 6'5") was I think listed at 6'4" when he was drafted. Wasn't Wall listed at less than his current 6'4" when he was drafted?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#494 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:12 pm

DCZards wrote:

A few takeaways:

1. Beal is ALL IN on leading this team and setting an example that will raise the commitment and, hopefully, the performance of his young teammates.
2. For the first time in either Beal’s or Chris Miller’s memory the ENTIRE team in DC early playing and working out together.
3. This is a team made up of primarily of extremely hard workers and there is a genuine belief that they will win some games simply because they out worked and out hustled their opponents.

Isn't it great to feel EXCITED about the Wizards?!?!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#495 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:39 pm

What a great guy Brad is! He's smart & funny. At 3 minutes: he's tongue in cheek with "...& God blessed me with unbelievable talent..." The whole stretch of the podcast was entertaining & made you think well of this young man.

So great to hear what he had to say about Rui & about Bryant.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#496 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:48 pm

A few notes from the presser:

"200 players changed teams this Summer" -- wow!

Chris Chiozza will be back in camp this year.
Justin Anderson has an actual chance to make the team.
From a variety of things he said, I conclude that they haven't filled the 2d 2-way spot, because they plan for one of their current guys to fill it.

Right now we have 13 players with guaranteed contracts, plus Justin Robinson, Jordan McRae, & Jemerrio Jones. If we get the roster exception for John, we will be able to keep them all on our regular roster.

In addition, we have Garrison Matthews on a 2-way & Booth on an Exhibit 10 contract. Justin Anderson & Chris Chiozza are also coming to camp. That's 20 players. Which is, I believe, the maximum you can bring in to camp.

Unlike a 2-way player, an Exhibit 10 player counts against the roster limit. But, a team can unilaterally convert an Exhibit10 contract to a 2-way contract, so maybe that's where Booth wind up.

Alternatively, when you waive an Exhibit 10 player, you can turn him into a "G-League affiliate player." If the guy agrees to that, he is signed by your G League team, & if he lasts 2 months or more, he gets a $50K bonus. IOW, if he's going to the G League he has an incentive to go to your team (obviously, if he gets another NBA offer, even a 2-way one, he'll take that instead).

Hence, if for example Chiozza looks good in camp, & we want to have the best shot to keep him, we can sign him to an Exhibit 10 contract, waive him from the Wizards, & send him to the Gogo as an affiliate player. He's still 100% a G League player. & he's still an unrestricted FA available to any NBA team. But the $50K incentivizes him to stay w/ you a couple of months -- giving you time to figure out if you want to do something else with him.

Result of all this? We might wind up with 16 guys on our roster (via the exception), plus a pair of 2-way players, plus 1 guy (Booth) a G-League affiliate player. In other words, if we get the exception, 19 of the 20 guys who come to camp may come out of camp & still be associated with the organization.
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#497 » by jivelikenice » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:53 pm

So the DPE would give the Wizards an extra roster spot as well?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#498 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Yes, that's what it does. B/c Wall can't play, you would get to add another guy to your active roster -- go from 15 (with Wall) to 16 (with Wall plus the additional guy).
payitforward
RealGM

Post#499 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Funny to hear Rui referred to twice as "a 19 year old" in the podcast. Guy's 21.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#500 » by DCZards » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:12 pm

payitforward wrote:
DCZards wrote:

A few takeaways:

1. Beal is ALL IN on leading this team and setting an example that will raise the commitment and, hopefully, the performance of his young teammates.
2. For the first time in either Beal’s or Chris Miller’s memory the ENTIRE team in DC early playing and working out together.

Isn't it great to feel EXCITED about the Wizards?!?!

I'm always EXCITED about the Zards! :) But I get your point.

Funny thing is that this is probably the first season ever that I don't really care about Ws and Ls. What I want to see is for the team to play hard and smart night in and night out...and for the youngin's, especially Rui, Troy and Thomas, to show some real development.

Return to Washington Wizards