Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#501 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:06 pm

What you said, Zards.

...& it's a good thing you don't care about Ws/Ls this year!! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#502 » by prime1time » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:06 am

Here's a question that needs to be asked. When not determining a team's success by their W/L record immediately success becomes subjective. So before the season starts I'm interested to know how posters here define a successful season. I'll start it off.

I know it's going to sound cliché but winning is a process. I want to see a team that comes out and plays hard. I want to see a team that doesn't make the same mistakes multiple times. I want to see gradual improvement and I want to see intermittent flashes of brilliance. I want to see Beal take another step, be better at creating for others and more aggressive at shooting 3's off the dribble. I want to see a noticeable tick up in both 3-point volume and 3-point percentage for Troy Brown Jr. and Thomas Bryant. Ideally, Rui will average 3 to 4 3 pointers attempted in a game. ANd he will have at least a couple games where he averages a double-double. I also want to see at least 2 of our young guys step up and give the impression that they can be legit role players on a good team. Last, but not least, I don't want any drama. I want the focus solely to be on basketball and getting better. Nothing else.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#503 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:18 am

Fred Katz reported on Sheppard’s presser, he did a great job enumerating the team’s stated goals for this season (link below)

-they’re going to log the game & practice minutes of each player (using technology) and make sure no one is playing excessively or risking injury in a retooling season . Especially Beal ofc

-target goal is for each rookie to play 1500 mins (Wizards + GoGo combined)

-they want Wall to stay upbeat and engaged as an assistant coach (not in a joking way, they’re literally assigning him a coaching role)

-expecting John to study how the game is changing and think of ways he can adjust his own style:

“(Wall) is a basketball savant,” Sheppard said. “He knows where all 13 people are at all times, including the refs, obviously. He’s got a lot of knowledge, and we’re challenging him to share that knowledge with our young guys. … The one-piece I think that I’d like to see from John during this season is really when you have to watch the game, learn the game where it’s at now. Really the last two seasons, he’s had a lot of games taken away from him, and the game has literally changed over the last two seasons.”

-expect Brooks to show improvement as a coach and will evaluate him based on the development of all the players

https://theathletic.com/1246160/2019/09/27/the-humanity-of-john-wall-and-the-legs-of-bradley-beal-five-issues-the-wizards-plan-to-address-this-season/
payitforward
RealGM

Post#504 » by payitforward » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:27 pm

prime1time wrote:Here's a question that needs to be asked. When not determining a team's success by their W/L record immediately success becomes subjective. So before the season starts I'm interested to know how posters here define a successful season. I'll start it off.

I know it's going to sound cliché but winning is a process. I want to see a team that comes out and plays hard. I want to see a team that doesn't make the same mistakes multiple times. I want to see gradual improvement and I want to see intermittent flashes of brilliance. I want to see Beal take another step, be better at creating for others and more aggressive at shooting 3's off the dribble. I want to see a noticeable tick up in both 3-point volume and 3-point percentage for Troy Brown Jr. and Thomas Bryant. Ideally, Rui will average 3 to 4 3 pointers attempted in a game. ANd he will have at least a couple games where he averages a double-double. I also want to see at least 2 of our young guys step up and give the impression that they can be legit role players on a good team. Last, but not least, I don't want any drama. I want the focus solely to be on basketball and getting better. Nothing else.

Hey, this is great primetime! Both the question & your answers.

But... I think it should be its own topic, don't you? Why don't you start it -- you brought up the subject.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#505 » by Shoe » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:02 pm

The Wizards board seems to have objectively some of the best posters on this website. Illmatic12, payitforward, Dat2U, nate33 among others. Honestly think being a fan of a terrible basketball team for a long time generates great insight.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#506 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 pm

Shoe wrote:The Wizards board seems to have objectively some of the best posters on this website. Illmatic12, payitforward, Dat2U, nate33 among others. Honestly think being a fan of a terrible basketball team for a long time generates great insight.

It's always nice to get a compliment, Shoe, so thank you.

At the same time, I feel moved to note some of the other posters here whom I think are also outstanding (including some I tussle with pretty often!): Ruzious, CCJ, DCZards, I_Like_Dirt, Prime1time, PCbothwei, JWizmentality -- to name just a few (I feel sure that I'm leaving out some folks I don't want to leave out; don't take umbrage, just put it down to my being an old man).
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,332

Post#507 » by doclinkin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:18 pm

UMBRAGE:

:onfire: :evil: :starwars :vent: :censored: :clown: :upset:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#508 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 1, 2019 2:06 am

As I said, I knew I'd leave out some of my personal favorites: Doc, you have to be at the top of that list!

Doc & I first interacted on a different Wizards forum, & it was Doc who suggested that I join the fray over here. I'm still grateful to you for that, Doc! Of course some of you might wish he hadn't bothered!!
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#509 » by MDStar » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:45 pm

payitforward wrote:As I said, I knew I'd leave out some of my personal favorites: Doc, you have to be at the top of that list!

Doc & I first interacted on a different Wizards forum, & it was Doc who suggested that I join the fray over here. I'm still grateful to you for that, Doc! Of course some of you might wish he hadn't bothered!!

So it's Doc's fault, I mean responsibility, I mean, we have Doc to thank, that we get the wonderful opportunity to listen to your banter, I mean communicate, your lovely insight and personal take on Wizards matters. :D
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#510 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:57 pm

Shoe wrote:The Wizards board seems to have objectively some of the best posters on this website. Illmatic12, payitforward, Dat2U, nate33 among others. Honestly think being a fan of a terrible basketball team for a long time generates great insight.

Aww shucks.. thanks man

Tbh interacting with posters on this board for the last 10+ years has really enhanced my understanding and enjoyment of the beautiful game. Fans of bad teams are almost more knowledgeable I think :lol:
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#511 » by 80sballboy » Tue Oct 1, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm going to withhold judgement on this team until I see them play in preseason. You know you're bad when the GM isn't really concerned about wins. It's probably the least interested I've been in a team since I've started watching basketball 40+ years ago. But I'll watch because I do know there is a plan somewhere and at least they hired some competent guys aside from Shep.

It's about player development, the draft and Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#512 » by 80sballboy » Tue Oct 1, 2019 8:46 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Fred Katz reported on Sheppard’s presser, he did a great job enumerating the team’s stated goals for this season (link below)

-they’re going to log the game & practice minutes of each player (using technology) and make sure no one is playing excessively or risking injury in a retooling season . Especially Beal ofc

-target goal is for each rookie to play 1500 mins (Wizards + GoGo combined)

-they want Wall to stay upbeat and engaged as an assistant coach (not in a joking way, they’re literally assigning him a coaching role)

-expecting John to study how the game is changing and think of ways he can adjust his own style:

“(Wall) is a basketball savant,” Sheppard said. “He knows where all 13 people are at all times, including the refs, obviously. He’s got a lot of knowledge, and we’re challenging him to share that knowledge with our young guys. … The one-piece I think that I’d like to see from John during this season is really when you have to watch the game, learn the game where it’s at now. Really the last two seasons, he’s had a lot of games taken away from him, and the game has literally changed over the last two seasons.”

-expect Brooks to show improvement as a coach and will evaluate him based on the development of all the players

https://theathletic.com/1246160/2019/09/27/the-humanity-of-john-wall-and-the-legs-of-bradley-beal-five-issues-the-wizards-plan-to-address-this-season/

It's nice to have a plan.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#513 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 1, 2019 10:58 pm

MDStar wrote:
payitforward wrote:As I said, I knew I'd leave out some of my personal favorites: Doc, you have to be at the top of that list!

So it's Doc's fault, I mean responsibility, I mean, we have Doc to thank, that we get the wonderful opportunity to listen to your banter, I mean communicate, your lovely insight and personal take on Wizards matters. :D

Absolutely! So... if you have a problem with me -- you know whom to take it out on, right? Doc!!!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#514 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 1, 2019 11:00 pm

80sballboy wrote:I'm going to withhold judgement on this team until I see them play in preseason. You know you're bad when the GM isn't really concerned about wins. It's probably the least interested I've been in a team since I've started watching basketball 40+ years ago. But I'll watch because I do know there is a plan somewhere and at least they hired some competent guys aside from Shep.

Huh! I feel the opposite -- I'm more interested in the Wizards than I have been in at least 1/2 dozen years. If only b/c there is so very much happening!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#515 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 1, 2019 11:53 pm

payitforward wrote:
MDStar wrote:

Absolutely! So... if you have a problem with me -- you know whom to take it out on, right? Doc!!!

Someone's got a thorn up his a... at his side. And his name is Tommy Sheppard. Congrats to Tommy. I think Rod's got just enough experience for the job.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Post#516 » by DCZards » Wed Oct 2, 2019 3:28 am

payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:I'm going to withhold judgement on this team until I see them play in preseason. You know you're bad when the GM isn't really concerned about wins. It's probably the least interested I've been in a team since I've started watching basketball 40+ years ago. But I'll watch because I do know there is a plan somewhere and at least they hired some competent guys aside from Shep.

Huh! I feel the opposite -- I'm more interested in the Wizards than I have been in at least 1/2 dozen years. If only b/c there is so very much happening!

I’m with you Doc! In my 20 plus years as a full or partial season ticket holder this may be the first season where my expectations are low but my interest in watching this new, young team play is high.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#517 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 2, 2019 6:39 am

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:

I’m with you Doc! In my 20 plus years as a full or partial season ticket holder this may be the first season where my expectations are low but my interest in watching this new, young team play is high.
I feel better about the Wizards now for the same reasons.

This will not be a season wasted hoping veterans like Markieff Morris can make round one of the playoffs. It's more fun for me to have e

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#518 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 2, 2019 6:45 am

(accidentally hit send--cannot edit that...will finish my post below)

...more fun for me to have no idea and no expectations of the young players. Effort will likely be high. Character issues are definitely not going to be the demise of the team. Beal is a good leader.

Might be a fun season. Losing will not be in vain if lessons are learned.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,332

Post#519 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 2, 2019 1:37 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:

I’m with me too! I like having hope. I’m curious what the young players will amount too. We have a half dozen young cats whose game I know little first hand. Highlights only. And we have no end-contract veterans who are auditioning for their next team. And I have no idea what mid season moves this front office might make.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#520 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 2:06 pm

doclinkin wrote:And we have no end-contract veterans who are auditioning for their next team.

Bertans.

But that's it.

Return to Washington Wizards