Image ImageImage Image

KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#101 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:18 am

fleet wrote:Practice?

Bulls fans were bamboozled the last time they said a PG looked great in practice/workouts.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#102 » by Proven_Winner » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:41 am

Dez wrote:
rtblues wrote:It's funny how when it suits the narrative some people want to discount FIBA and any achievements made there, but when it suits another narrative, it's perfectly fine to cite FIBA.

1. A player was killing it in FIBA and is dismissed as, "Meh, it's just FIBA."
2. The entire USA Team publicly demonized for not winning it all in FIBA.

It's either "MEH it's only FIBA", or it's, "Wow, the USA could only finish 7th in FIBA"
But you can't have at both ways.

FIBA proved tougher than many imagined, if you don't believe that, ask the USA players.
However, in spite of what we all saw with our own eyes, any and all accomplishments at FIBA are dismissed.

So, how does that work exactly?

Nobody is dismissing anything, it's just knowing what to take out of it.

Take Patty Mills for example, he dominated that tournament and scored at will but do you think he's a starting caliber point guard in the NBA? He does it regularly for Australia in FIBA ball.

Also the only people that "demonized" Team USA for not winning were Americans themselves, the rest of the world knew they weren't locks to win the tournament.

Nobody outside of America is shocked they lost.

Not to mention we got that far playing a random collection of guys where most of them never played FIBA ball. Plus almost half these guys won’t be in the real roster they’ve pretty much already said that. Players themselves said guys like lebron and curry are waiting for the real tournament which if we’re being honest we’ll run away with it like we usually do with little to no stress. Notice nobody is “demonizing” them anymore because they know it doesn’t matter for us.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#103 » by JimmyJammer » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:47 am

GimmeDat wrote:Could it just be organizationally-led fluff to help with trade value by any chance?

Mayberry is saying the same thing -

Read on Twitter
?s=20

When it comes to being a Bulls fan, I think like a prostitute - not married to anyone. If Dunn, at the young age of 25, somehow finally puts it all together, I'll be the first to do backflips. While I like Sato and all, he is still average at best and a career back-up as an NBA player. So, any leap forward from Dunn, who is two years younger, would be awesome. Coby White is still 19 and Sato can play three positions, which would make things work. In fact, I'd allocate all of Hutchison's minutes to Sato to make it work. Hutchison and potentially Valentine are currently the weakest links on the roster. My nine-man rotation will be: Lavine, Dunn, Sato, Porter, Lauri, Carter, Thaddeus, Kornet and White/Valentine.

Starters:
Dunn/Sato (may the best man win)
Lavine
Carter
Lauri
Porter

Sixth Man:
Thaddeus
thedarkstark
Analyst
And1: 1,224

Post#104 » by thedarkstark » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:03 am

This isn't all that surprising to hear, Kris Dunn is a very talented guy. He has shown enough flashes where I still believe he has the potential to be a borderline all-star but that time is quickly running out and IF it ever happens it likely won't be in a Bulls uniform.

I think Dunn lacks either the confidence or the drive to be great, season is right around the corner so we'll find out soon enough
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Post#105 » by sco » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:39 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
Dez wrote:
rtblues wrote:It's funny how when it suits the narrative some people want to discount FIBA and any achievements made there, but when it suits another narrative, it's perfectly fine to cite FIBA.

It's either "MEH it's only FIBA", or it's, "Wow, the USA could only finish 7th in FIBA"

FIBA proved tougher than many imagined, if you don't believe that, ask the USA players.
However, in spite of what we all saw with our own eyes, any and all accomplishments at FIBA are dismissed.

Take Patty Mills for example, he dominated that tournament and scored at will but do you think he's a starting caliber point guard in the NBA? He does it regularly for Australia in FIBA ball.

Also the only people that "demonized" Team USA for not winning were Americans themselves, the rest of the world knew they weren't locks to win the tournament.

Not to mention we got that far playing a random collection of guys where most of them never played FIBA ball. Plus almost half these guys won’t be in the real roster they’ve pretty much already said that. Players themselves said guys like lebron and curry are waiting for the real tournament which if we’re being honest we’ll run away with it like we usually do with little to no stress. Notice nobody is “demonizing” them anymore because they know it doesn’t matter for us.

I don't think we're looking for "FIBA" Sato, where he's the 1st option guy, but what that shows is that Sato is willing and able to score if he's left alone. Sato is our 4th option on offense, and watching his Wash play, it is a role he prefers. I really don't think this kid cares whether he takes 5 or 15 shots, if he's getting teammates good shots. You watch him probe the paint, looking for defenders to leave their man and stop his penetration...then zip...he passes to an open teammate.

I'm not rooting for Dunn to be bad, but that isn't how Dunn plays or thinks. Even during his best stretch he was doing it primarily by getting hot from the elbow on long 2's.
:clap:
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#106 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:52 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
fleet wrote:Practice?

Bulls fans were bamboozled the last time they said a PG looked great in practice/workouts.

We got Mirage'd
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#107 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:16 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Could it just be organizationally-led fluff to help with trade value by any chance?

Mayberry is saying the same thing -

Read on Twitter
?s=20

When it comes to being a Bulls fan, I think like a prostitute

That is how season tickets Bulls fan must feel. Expensive but not really getting worth of your money. But given mediocrity is our fetish they even pay extra
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#108 » by drosereturn » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Dez wrote:

Its your choice to take FIBA as grain of salt and dismiss it since scrubs like Patty destroyed the US but putting more weight to team practice (training camp) than FIBA makes 0 sense.
FIBA is still an official tournament no matter how you slice it and still the best way to judge the quality of the player given there is a huge stop gap between NBA seasons.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#109 » by Dez » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:18 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
Dez wrote:

Its your choice to take FIBA as grain of salt and dismiss it since scrubs like Patty destroyed the US but putting more weight to team practice (training camp) than FIBA makes 0 sense.
FIBA is still an official tournament no matter how you slice it and still the best way to judge the quality of the player given there is a huge stop gap between NBA seasons.

I'm not putting more weight into anything, I simply don't have my head up my ass.

Also Mills is far from a scrub and he destroyed more than just the US but way to go on missing the point by an amazing amount.
LateNight
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#110 » by LateNight » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:09 am

Patty Mills is not a scrub.

"[Mills] missed a total of three games during the past four seasons... His Offensive Real Plus Minus of 2.12 this season was ranked 13 out of the 102 point guards in the NBA... His Points Per Possession (PPP) of 1.35 on 217 spot up possessions ranked 2nd out of 148 players with at least 150 of such possessions."

He has serious defensive issues, but he's definitely not a scrub.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#111 » by MeloRoseNoah » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:17 am

I will be the first to get back on the Kris Dunn jockstrap if he breaks out and beasts out this year.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#112 » by Shill » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:22 am

I’m not buying the Kris Dunn hype.

I find it hard to believe he learned to shoot threes, finish at the cup, draw fouls, and tighten his handle over the course of a couple months.

I hope so, though.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#113 » by rtblues » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:40 am

Shill wrote:I’m not buying the Kris Dunn hype.

I find it hard to believe he learned to shoot threes, finish at the cup, draw fouls, and tighten his handle over the course of a couple months.

I hope so, though.

THIS!
+1,000,000
Nailed it.
Anyone betting on Dunn, I;ll take that bet.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#114 » by MeloRoseNoah » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:30 am

Bums like Kris Dunn usually don’t start getting in their 4th season. But if he’s killing Sato and Coby in practice and providing us the best chances to win games, I’m open towards making him out starter. But no more free development mins. We’re posts that stage.
Drellberg
Pro Prospect
And1: 182

Post#115 » by Drellberg » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 am

Kris Dunn has a nice middling career ahead of him on some NBA team not in Chicago. The NBA is too savvy for anyone to be pumping up his value artificially. Instead find a role that adds value here and now and that makes him credible to other NBA teams. I think that’s with the second unit. There is a return beyond trade picks for finding this guy the best possible trade home. Neither the upside nor the downside are as big as this thread suggests. The downside in particular is strictly bounded. The upside comes from trying for an RBI single rather than a grand slam.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#116 » by JimmyJammer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:31 am

Seeing how Niko and Jimmy, against all odds, beasted out in the final year of their rookie contracts with the Bulls, I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for Dunn to duplicate such feat. He has lots of pride and there is competition at his position to bring the best out of him. I only hope that he won't fist-fight anyone in the process.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#117 » by samwana » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:56 am

If Dunn finally manages to see his career in jeopardy if he doesn't adept to his talents, he should take a 6th man role this season. That way he can show he isn't the bust he showed to be.

He should pick up a role like Smart in Boston. Less minutes, go all out on defense and take what the defense GIVES him on the offensive end. Basically be like Shaq Harrison but better. I think Dunn could be that if he swallow his pride and just plays. If he thinks he is entitled to more and acts accordingly, he will be gone.

Let's see which role he chooses. I hope he doesn't get to start at all. He already showed he does not fit with Lauri and Zach. But he could be part of a bench mob that kills it on defense.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using RealGM mobile app
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,648

Re: KC Mailbag 

Post#118 » by sco » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:25 pm

samwana wrote:If Dunn finally manages to see his career in jeopardy if he doesn't adept to his talents, he should take a 6th man role this season. That way he can show he isn't the bust he showed to be.

He should pick up a role like Smart in Boston. Less minutes, go all out on defense and take what the defense GIVES him on the offensive end. Basically be like Shaq Harrison but better. I think Dunn could be that if he swallow his pride and just plays. If he thinks he is entitled to more and acts accordingly, he will be gone.

Let's see which role he chooses. I hope he doesn't get to start at all. He already showed he does not fit with Lauri and Zach. But he could be part of a bench mob that kills it on defense.

Yeah - I agree. I think he is well suited for some team needing a decent defensive back-up PG. Problem is there seems to be a glut of PG's around the league.
:clap:
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Re: KC Mailbag 

Post#119 » by ZOMG » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:32 pm

sco wrote:
samwana wrote:If Dunn finally manages to see his career in jeopardy if he doesn't adept to his talents, he should take a 6th man role this season. That way he can show he isn't the bust he showed to be.

Yeah - I agree. I think he is well suited for some team needing a decent defensive back-up PG. Problem is there seems to be a glut of PG's around the league.

A defensive back up needs to be good at defense.

Dunn is not. For any coach who cares about defense and knows about it, Dunn is a heart attack waiting to happen.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#120 » by ZOMG » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:33 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:Seeing how Niko and Jimmy, against all odds, beasted out in the final year of their rookie contracts with the Bulls, I think it's not out of the realm of possibility for Dunn to duplicate such feat. He has lots of pride and there is competition at his position to bring the best out of him. I only hope that he won't fist-fight anyone in the process.

Umm, there's a slight problem with that scenario. Niko and Jimmy were clearly serviceable NBA players even at that stage.

"Pride" isn't necessarily the best attribute to have in excess when your NBA future is clearly on the bench.

Return to Chicago Bulls