Image ImageImage Image

Denzel Valentine injury update thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,709

Re: Denzel Valentine injury update thread 

Post#41 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:44 pm

sco wrote:After that video, I'd be thrilled if he's good enough to want back.

Personally, I'm not sure why anyone thinks anything of this video one way or the other.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#42 » by sco » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Personally, I'm not sure why anyone thinks anything of this video one way or the other.

Thanks for walking me back off the ledge Doug! That said, if he's doing videos after much social media buzz about him being unable to move, don't you think he should be showing he can move?
:clap:
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#43 » by Proven_Winner » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:34 pm

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Thanks for walking me back off the ledge Doug! That said, if he's doing videos after much social media buzz about him being unable to move, don't you think he should be showing he can move?

Would it make much of a difference? No need to guess he’ll be rusty coming back just as everyone does. We should be more interested in how he moves preseason since we have no reason to not be trying to go at 100% all season.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#44 » by rtblues » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Summertime, empty gym videos are not a valuable tool for evaluating anyone, either way.
There's tons of these out there where scrubs look like all-stars, and then can't get the last spot on the bench of an NBA team. However, yeah, he's looking a bit listless, and lift-less.

He's always been physically pretty challenged, he's not a good finisher at the rim, and he is a below-average defender.
As to his "play-making" abilities often trumpeted here, Val has never really proved to be an effective distributor. Having said
that, he has shown the ability to hit threes, especially uncontested ones, yet he's not really able to really create his own shot.
I'm not his hater or his Stan, only trying to review the guy I remember, last he played - a while ago!

All-in-all I certainly wouldn't be thinking about this player going forward, or as a part of any "core" the team is trying
to establish. When you look at some of the other talent on this team, he's pretty low on the "must-keep" list, yet also very
doubtful that he'd fetch much in the trade market either. So, he's in a tough spot, only thing fueling his hope si the lack of depth
at the wing position, but I'm not really sure that he is the answer to that hole. Val is not exactly the "3-and-D" NBA prototype at the position.

He's on a string for sure, and without significant improvement and an ability to stay on the floor, his chances of sticking
around are Slim-to-None, and Slim's got his jacket on....
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,175

Post#45 » by HomoSapien » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:52 pm

Weird that he isn’t jumping...
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#46 » by AKfanatic » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:34 am

sco wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

He’s not going to change his routine to quiet some fan perceived social media buzz. He’d be stupid to do so. Denzel needs to continue to do exactly what his trainers tell him to do and ignore any outside noise.

Hopefully he can put fears to rest when it matters. I’d expect him to struggle after missing so much time. He needs to be patient and not push himself to do things his trainers aren’t telling him to do, doing so would only risk setting back his return.

Edit: I get concerns. I’m concerned that his injury history in addition to his already ground bound game, could prove too much for him to overcome and be a positive player. But looking at a video of him doing a dribble drill and light midrange shots, isn’t going to tell fans much.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#47 » by MrFortune3 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:02 am

HomoSapien wrote:Weird that he isn’t jumping...

Val has never been a real explosive athlete so I don't know why so many focus on him not jumping and cutting.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#48 » by HomoSapien » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:42 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:Weird that he isn’t jumping...

Val has never been a real explosive athlete so I don't know why so many focus on him not jumping and cutting.

He’s not explosive but he still needs to jump. To not do that at all strikes me as they’re still being cautious.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#49 » by transplant » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:15 pm

The video aside, it seems that we’re still where we were in July...we don’t know whether Valentine has been cleared for 5-on-5 play. This isn’t necessarily a big deal, but since we have this thread, we’ve gotta knock it around a bit, right?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Post#50 » by IamSam » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Does the lack of updates on Denzel say anything about the front office's thoughts on his value to the team?
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#51 » by ZOMG » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Denzel's learned his lesson - he won't appear in any videos where there's actual basketball being played. He tried that once, remember.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#52 » by sco » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:27 pm

ZOMG wrote:Denzel's learned his lesson - he won't appear in any videos where there's actual basketball being played. He tried that once, remember.

Good point. I will say that regardless of how he looked, until he's out there playing 5-on-5, I'm skeptical - but optimistic (if that's possible).
:clap:
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#53 » by rtblues » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:36 am

He'll be remembered as just another weak-ass pick in the long legacy of weak-ass picks.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,245

Post#54 » by kodo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:43 pm

IamSam wrote:Does the lack of updates on Denzel say anything about the front office's thoughts on his value to the team?

Probably. He's a 14th pick, usually these guys aren't that important. Players picked right before and after Denzel have already been waived by their drafting teams, like Papagiannis Baldwin Yabusele.

Denzel was the product of a 42-40 team, it's rare to get difference maker players from that kind of season.
StunnerKO
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,143

Post#55 » by StunnerKO » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:08 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#56 » by HomoSapien » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:11 am

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I really just have a feeling we're not going to really see him on the basketball court in a meaningful way ever again. Him not jumping at all is a big red flag.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,984

Post#57 » by Chi town » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:45 am

Good News for Dunn. Bad news for the Bulls. We need his shooting. Likes like Coby will be playing a lot too.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,578

Post#58 » by Repeat 3-peat » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:06 am

Release Valentine and sign Shumpert.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#59 » by TeamMan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:48 am

StunnerKO wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

With both Hutch and Valentine questionable at the beginning of training camp, that pushes Coby and Shaq into the spotlight.

Coby is probably the best backup SG on the team (even including Valentine).

And Shaq showed last season that he is able to play an effective backup SF.

So the Bulls are still covered for the opening of the season.

-----------------------------------------------
Note: Not to be forgotten is Adam Mokoka.

As a 2-way contract player, this could be a great opportunity for him to make an early impact in training camp.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#60 » by logical_art » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:10 am

GhostOfChicago wrote:Release Valentine and sign Shumpert.

Bulls need another forward not a guard.

Return to Chicago Bulls