Who is the most talented back in the league?

Moderator: bwgood77

Who are ya taking?

Barkley
52%
Bell
No votes
Elliott
13%
Gurley
4%
David Johnson
4%
McCaffrey
17%
Kamara
9%

Total votes: 23

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,424

Re: Who is the most talented back in the league? 

Post#21 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 1, 2019 3:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Saquon
Kamara
McCaffrey
Elliott
Gurley/Gordon
Pretty good assessment, I have Barkley as they most talented right now how can you argue with what he's doing? McCaffrey is just the ultimate Swiss army knife guy is doing everything.

Kerryon Johnson is in the next group IMHO with Mixon, Chubb, James Connor and Fournette. Idk if I put Jordan Howard there yet or Delvin Cook

I think it's tough to judge right now. I'd really have to see a lot of footage of each and know how good their offensive lines are.

I mean a few years ago you could have easily said David Johnson and even Gurley more recently, but they fall off. Elliott is a lot like Emmitt was...benefits from a great line so harder to assess. I never felt, for example, that Emmitt was as good as Sanders at the time, but he had that line....Aikman benefited from the same thing. Obviously they were great players, it's just so much easier with that. Shaun Alexander looked like a super stud, even won MVP with that line.

I was watching some earlier Shaun Alexander today and watch this Walter Jones block....he pushes the guy for like 20 yards. Edit: I guess you have to click on "Watch on Youtube"

Shaun ran behind the best LT & LG in Football for a 5 year span. Hence, why he won MVP.

Your absolutely right tho in regards to the quality of lineman. Emmitt Smith had the best line in Football for several years during their run. Same goes for Zeke at the present moment.

I prefer guys like Kamara & McCaffrey.

It's too bad David Johnson really hasn't been the same since that injury a couple of years ago.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,364

Post#22 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 3:24 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Pretty good assessment, I have Barkley as they most talented right now how can you argue with what he's doing? McCaffrey is just the ultimate Swiss army knife guy is doing everything.

Kerryon Johnson is in the next group IMHO with Mixon, Chubb, James Connor and Fournette. Idk if I put Jordan Howard there yet or Delvin Cook

I think it's tough to judge right now. I'd really have to see a lot of footage of each and know how good their offensive lines are.

I mean a few years ago you could have easily said David Johnson and even Gurley more recently, but they fall off. Elliott is a lot like Emmitt was...benefits from a great line so harder to assess. I never felt, for example, that Emmitt was as good as Sanders at the time, but he had that line....Aikman benefited from the same thing. Obviously they were great players, it's just so much easier with that. Shaun Alexander looked like a super stud, even won MVP with that line.

I was watching some earlier Shaun Alexander today and watch this Walter Jones block....he pushes the guy for like 20 yards. Edit: I guess you have to click on "Watch on Youtube"

Shaun ran behind the best LT & LG in Football for a 4/5 year span. Hence, why he won MVP.

Your absolutely right tho in regards to the quality of lineman. Emmitt Smith had the best line in Football for several years during their run. Same goes for Zeke at the present moment.

I prefer guys like Kamara & McCaffrey.

It's too bad David Johnson really hasn't been the same since that injury a couple of years ago.

Yeah, I love the all purpose ones like Marshall Faulk was, or David Johnson was before (though he still had a lot of receiving yards this past week), and the two you mentioned. I love Austin Ekeler for this too....and he is a STRONG runner....they say he is one of the strongest guys on the team, and he's pretty small in stature but can squat a ton so he's hard to get down.

I like Ekeler much better than Gordon. I probably like Justin Jackson better. If I'm GM, no way I keep Gordon past this year. As a matter of fact, I don't play him much unless I have to.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#23 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 1, 2019 3:29 am

bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, I love the all purpose ones like Marshall Faulk was, or David Johnson was before (though he still had a lot of receiving yards this past week), and the two you mentioned. I love Austin Ekeler for this too....and he is a STRONG runner....they say he is one of the strongest guys on the team, and he's pretty small in stature but can squat a ton so he's hard to get down.

I like Ekeler much better than Gordon. I probably like Justin Jackson better. If I'm GM, no way I keep Gordon past this year. As a matter of fact, I don't play him much unless I have to.

Marshall Faulk was the best back I've seen in his prime. I'd even take him over Barry I think.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#24 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Oct 1, 2019 12:34 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, I love the all purpose ones like Marshall Faulk was, or David Johnson was before (though he still had a lot of receiving yards this past week), and the two you mentioned. I love Austin Ekeler for this too....and he is a STRONG runner....they say he is one of the strongest guys on the team, and he's pretty small in stature but can squat a ton so he's hard to get down.

Marshall Faulk was the best back I've seen in his prime. I'd even take him over Barry I think.
Don't know if I go that far Barry was and is the GOAT. He was stuck playing in Detroit for years, Westbrook is another underrated guy he could do everything. As for goat underrated ones for me it's Curtis Martin, the guy is top 4 all time in total rushing yards
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:24 pm

Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Don't know if I go that far Barry was and is the GOAT. He was stuck playing in Detroit for years, Westbrook is another underrated guy he could do everything. As for goat underrated ones for me it's Curtis Martin, the guy is top 4 all time in total rushing yards

Is he? Doesn't Emmitt hold the rushing record? :wink:

Honestly, I'd go with Faulk. People loved Barry because he made dudes look silly. But, Marshall's game was so smooth.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#26 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:26 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Marshall Faulk was the best back I've seen in his prime. I'd even take him over Barry I think.

Honestly, I'd go with Faulk. People loved Barry because he made dudes look silly. But, Marshall's game was so smooth.

Faulk benefitted from being in the greatest show on turf in that spread offense. He was awesome, but wasn't nearly the running back that Barry was.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#27 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:53 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:Don't know if I go that far Barry was and is the GOAT. He was stuck playing in Detroit for years, Westbrook is another underrated guy he could do everything. As for goat underrated ones for me it's Curtis Martin, the guy is top 4 all time in total rushing yards

Faulk benefitted from being in the greatest show on turf in that spread offense. He was awesome, but wasn't nearly the running back that Barry was.

True. I loved watching the Rams in those days. They we're actually my NFC team there for a bit before the Hawks switched conferences.

My bias still says Marshall. :wink:
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#28 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:55 pm

Faulk was awesome at san diego state. Gifted.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#29 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:55 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Is he? Doesn't Emmitt hold the rushing record? :wink:

True. I loved watching the Rams in those days. They we're actually my NFC team there for a bit before the Hawks switched conferences.

My bias still says Marshall. :wink:

This is funny....

One of the most important trades in NFL history occurred 18 years ago when the Colts sent future Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk to the Rams in exchange for second- and fifth-round picks. It was a small price to pay for the Rams, who were desperate for a spark on offense after rankings towards the bottom for nearly a decade.

After acquiring Faulk, the Rams went on to win the Super Bowl and led the league in points and yards for three straight years, earning the nickname “The Greatest Show on Turf.” Faulk, however, wasn’t thrilled about the deal when it first happened.

“I remember walking into that locker room and I was like, ‘I left Peyton Manning for you guys?’” Faulk said on Good Morning Football this week. “You could see what Peyron Manning was going to be like, and I’m like, ‘Finally, I have a quarterback I can grow with and now I get traded? Trent Green? Kurt Warner? Are you kidding me?’”

Faulk had every reason to be disappointed with the trade. He and Manning could’ve been one of the best tandems in the NFL, but the deal sent him to a Rams team that hadn’t experienced a winning season since 1989 and was coming off of a 4-12 season in ’98.

No one thought the Rams would become a threat as quickly as they did, going on to win the Super Bowl in Faulk’s first season.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/04/nfl-los-angeles-rams-indianapolis-colts-marshall-faulk-trade-reaction/
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#30 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 6:02 pm

I remember that year I drafted Randall Cunningham who was coming off a great year in Minnesota...kind of like a huge comeback year for him...he had Cris Carter and Randy Moss, with Robert Smith as their back, and their offense had been on fire the previous year.

And I drafted Trent Green as my backup. Well Green gets injured in the preseason, so I pick up Warner. Then Cunningham gets injured in the season and I picked up Jeff George.

So here I am with two backup QBs and both are tearing up the league and I can't decide who to start some weeks, though it was hard not to just keep going with Warner.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,173

Post#31 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Oct 1, 2019 11:33 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr Swagtastic wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Marshall Faulk was the best back I've seen in his prime. I'd even take him over Barry I think.

Yeah Emmitt is the rushing champ but look at his team he had arguably one of the greatest offensive lines ever. I think he's obviously got the talent seen him in Florida when I was a kid and my dad said whoever drafts him is getting a hard nosed guy who will run you over and run by you. To me Barry had more talent but I think got tired of losing and thought it was on him to get them to the playoffs. Emmitt was blessed to have a great team and a he was a horse. You don't get 400 attempts in a season by accident and average almost 5 yards per attempt.

I hate Dallas but Emmitt has a special place in my heart because we were at the Alabama vs Florida game where he crushed Alabama in Alabama. It was a mid summer game in 1987 and sadly the last game I seen with my dad because he died a month later.

One guy who I wish got to play in the NFL instead of The USFL was Marcus Dupree thinking back on it now the 80's had some great star running backs
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#32 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:49 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Kamara>>>>Elliott

Please, :lol:

Did you even watch last night? Stop being an over the top homer! It's a bad look. :lol:

Kamara might be the best back in Football right now.

You mean like when you bring up Russell Wilson all the time. 8-) I forgot I'm in a west coast forum that hates America's Team. From now on I will only talk about my Cowboys in the Cowboy forum.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#33 » by bluejerseyjinx » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

Best ever in his prime was Earl Camp :nod: bell. Case closed.
Jay 20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#34 » by Jay 20 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:03 pm

I’m changing my vote to Christian McCaffrey

Return to The General NFL Board