Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#521 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 2, 2019 2:46 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:
80sballboy wrote:I'm going to withhold judgement on this team until I see them play in preseason. You know you're bad when the GM isn't really concerned about wins. It's probably the least interested I've been in a team since I've started watching basketball 40+ years ago. But I'll watch because I do know there is a plan somewhere and at least they hired some competent guys aside from Shep.

It's about player development, the draft and Beal.

Huh! I feel the opposite -- I'm more interested in the Wizards than I have been in at least 1/2 dozen years. If only b/c there is so very much happening!

I’m with you Doc! In my 20 plus years as a full or partial season ticket holder this may be the first season where my expectations are low but my interest in watching this new, young team play is high.

Doc!! Doc????? ....where, O tell me, where did I go wrong???
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#522 » by jivelikenice » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:16 pm

There was nothing interesting about the team the last two years. Watching the unknown > watching a vet team with a bloated payroll underachieve and do so in spectacular fashion. I actually may go to some preseason games to see the young guys early.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#523 » by DCZards » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:03 pm

doclinkin wrote:
DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Huh! I feel the opposite -- I'm more interested in the Wizards than I have been in at least 1/2 dozen years. If only b/c there is so very much happening!

I’m with you Doc! In my 20 plus years as a full or partial season ticket holder this may be the first season where my expectations are low but my interest in watching this new, young team play is high.

I’m with me too! I like having hope. I’m curious what the young players will amount too. We have a half dozen young cats whose game I know little first hand. Highlights only. And we have no end-contract veterans who are auditioning for their next team. And I have no idea what mid season moves this front office might make.

Meant to say “I’m with you PIF!” :) But it’s all good.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#524 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 2, 2019 6:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
payitforward
RealGM

Post#525 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 2, 2019 9:02 pm

I bet Smith is a way better TV personality than he was an NBA player! Anyway... I sure hope so!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#526 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:15 pm

payitforward wrote:I bet Smith is a way better TV personality than he was an NBA player! Anyway... I sure hope so!

I always assumed the red ranger's athleticism would have helped him on the court but his natural charisma probably does suit him better for TV.

Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#527 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:18 pm

LOL -- where's that great clip of him dancing in the locker room? From the 2016-17 season if I remember right?
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#528 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:24 pm

payitforward wrote:LOL -- where's that great clip of him dancing in the locker room? From the 2016-17 season if I remember right?

This one?

Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#529 » by payitforward » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:41 pm

Thanks!
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,598

Post#530 » by pancakes3 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:11 pm

Pardon the emphasis on Harden - stole it from a Rox poster.

Point being, Beal has Harden potential in him.

Bullets -> Wizards
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#531 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:27 pm

payitforward wrote:I bet Smith is a way better TV personality than he was an NBA player! Anyway... I sure hope so!

After suffering-though Drew Gooden, I'm sure Smith will be 10 X's better
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#532 » by gambitx777 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 11:57 pm

Bertans is young enough you can probably give him another 3 year deal on a reasonable rate and it be fine. He's only 27-28. But with not big free agents this year's guys like him might get over paid by a lot.
nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:And we have no end-contract veterans who are auditioning for their next team.

Bertans.

But that's it.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#533 » by gambitx777 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 12:00 am

The wiz have no size right now. We need to think long and hard about cutting some of these guards and wings ! Ian should get cut too. We really need to go shopping in the "training camp cut bin" for some size.

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,864

Post#534 » by TGW » Mon Oct 7, 2019 12:41 pm

gambitx777 wrote:We need to think long and hard

PAUSE
payitforward
RealGM

Post#535 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 7, 2019 1:01 pm

gambitx777 wrote:...cutting some of these guards and wings.... We really need to go shopping in the "training camp cut bin" for some size.

In order to do what exactly? Win 34 games instead of 31? Plus, are you suggesting we cut a promising guard so that we can get a big cut from someone's training camp?

This is a rebuilding team. More & better young players is what we need. It doesn't matter what position they play. We're not furnishing a living room here; we aren't going to get rid of extra chairs to buy a sofa.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#536 » by gambitx777 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 12:27 am

Where would we be right now if we didn't take a chance on Bryant ? I'm not saying cut a guy like bonga, or Jones or who ever but Jordan McRae and Ian , booth,chiozza and miles? For a guy like woods or fall, or some other promising young of or c that got cought up in a log jam. Yeah I think you do that. Not all those guys are going to look good and there will be some gold that gets through the siv on other team. We would be best off taking advantage . We need to keep playing that game to build assets.
payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:...cutting some of these guards and wings.... We really need to go shopping in the "training camp cut bin" for some size.

In order to do what exactly? Win 34 games instead of 31? Plus, are you suggesting we cut a promising guard so that we can get a big cut from someone's training camp?

This is a rebuilding team. More & better young players is what we need. It doesn't matter what position they play. We're not furnishing a living room here; we aren't going to get rid of extra chairs to buy a sofa.

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#537 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:23 pm

Yikes. Does this feel right to you guys? Simply the price to pay for carrying a roster full of young, unproven players?

In what is obviously a rebuilding season...does it even matter?

Ranking Worst Benches Ahead of New NBA Season

30. Washington Wizards

While the Pistons and Blazers have just two players before things get dicey, the Washington Wizards may only have one. With John Wall recovering from a ruptured Achilles, Bradley Beal is about as close to a one-man show as you'll find in the NBA during the 2019-20 campaign.

The list of players who could log minutes off the bench for this team could require an awful lot of Wikipedia searches for the average fan:

• Ian Mahinmi
  • CJ Miles
  • Thomas Bryant
  • Davis Bertans
  • Ish Smith
  • Rui Hachimura
  • Troy Brown Jr.
  • Moritz Wagner
  • Jordan McRae
  • Isaiah Thomas
  • Isaac Bonga
  • Justin Anderson
  • Jemerrio Jones
  • Admiral Schofield

Pick four from that lot to start and then imagine what the second unit looks like. And this doesn't even touch on the non-guaranteed contracts and two-way guys who'll likely find some time on a team as bad as this.

If Hachimura doesn't give fans something to dream about for the future, this could be a tough season to stomach
Bleacher Report
payitforward
RealGM

Post#538 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:09 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Where would we be right now if we didn't take a chance on Bryant ? I'm not saying cut a guy like bonga, or Jones or who ever but Jordan McRae and Ian , booth,chiozza and miles? For a guy like woods or fall, or some other promising young of or c that got cought up in a log jam. Yeah I think you do that. Not all those guys are going to look good and there will be some gold that gets through the siv on other team. We would be best off taking advantage . We need to keep playing that game to build assets.
payitforward wrote:

I'd cut Mahinmi in a minute in order to bring in Wood. I'd cut McRae for Wood too. Booth & Chiozza aren't going to be here. As to Miles, I'd cut him for Wood too.

But, 2 things:

1. Christian Wood is under contract in Detroit. If you want us to shop in the TC cut bin, you'll have to suggest some possible targets. Christian Wood isn't one of them.

2. We didn't have to acquire Miles in the first place -- we could just have cut Howard; it would have been cheaper. Cutting Miles now would make the trade for him look ridiculous.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#539 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:37 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Yikes. Does this feel right to you guys? Simply the price to pay for carrying a roster full of young, unproven players?

30. Washington Wizards

While the Pistons and Blazers have just two players before things get dicey, the Washington Wizards may only have one. With John Wall recovering from a ruptured Achilles, Bradley Beal is about as close to a one-man show as you'll find in the NBA during the 2019-20 campaign.

The list of players who could log minutes off the bench for this team could require an awful lot of Wikipedia searches for the average fan:

• Ian Mahinmi
  • CJ Miles
  • Thomas Bryant
  • Davis Bertans
  • Ish Smith
  • Rui Hachimura
  • Troy Brown Jr.
  • Moritz Wagner
  • Jordan McRae
  • Isaiah Thomas
  • Isaac Bonga
  • Justin Anderson
  • Jemerrio Jones
  • Admiral Schofield

Pick four from that lot to start and then imagine what the second unit looks like. And this doesn't even touch on the non-guaranteed contracts and two-way guys who'll likely find some time on a team as bad as this.

If Hachimura doesn't give fans something to dream about for the future, this could be a tough season to stomach
Bleacher Report

Yes. The end of our bench is awful, particularly from 11 through 15. We're talking guys like Schofield, Bonga, Wagner, Jones, Robinson; all of whom could play in the G League all year and no one would think it was odd.

Fortunately teams don't play their 11th men very many minutes. Our 6 through 10 guys aren't great, but they're not worst-in-the league bad either. Basically, our 6th through 10 are Bertans, Thomas, Miles, Anderson and McRae. I can live with that - particularly if Thomas has a comeback year.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#540 » by prime1time » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Yikes. Does this feel right to you guys? Simply the price to pay for carrying a roster full of young, unproven players?

30. Washington Wizards

• Ian Mahinmi
  • CJ Miles
  • Thomas Bryant
  • Davis Bertans
  • Ish Smith
  • Rui Hachimura
  • Troy Brown Jr.
  • Moritz Wagner
  • Jordan McRae
  • Isaiah Thomas
  • Isaac Bonga
  • Justin Anderson
  • Jemerrio Jones
  • Admiral Schofield

Bleacher Report

Yup, it's very accurate. It's our biggest flaw. Now bench. Granted some of the guys on that list are underrated but the average fan - Rui, Bryant, Brown Jr., Bertans - but the problem with the Wiz this year is our lack of depth gives us now gray area to deal with injuries. If Beal misses any games this season, or if 2 of our "core player"s go down for an extended part of the season we are pretty much guaranteed a top 5 pick. To be honest, the problem has less to do with the Wizards and more to do with how the league is structured. This CBA is a disaster. It pays top guys more, but everyone else just takes small deals to play on contenders.

Then you have teams like Pelican and Bulls and Hawks who just stock pile young talent on rookie contacts. Like the Pelicans and the Bulls each have 6 guards that are better than our second best guard. The #5 and #6 guy aren't going to get legit minutes. But they will keep them on the team any way. I'm fine with what the Wiz have. We'll try our best this year add a guy in the draft and then see what we have going into next season. What I'm interested to see is what "competing team" decides to rebuild and what young team 1, breaks out of the mush and becomes a legit competitor. I'm also interested in seeing what these young teams like the Pelicans and the Bulls and the Hawks do when these guys come up for extensions.

Return to Washington Wizards