Michael Porter Jr

Moderator: THE J0KER

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Re: Michael Porter Jr 

Post#41 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:46 am

I am sure we all want Porter to come out and even meet expectations, but the more hype I see and read the less I believe it will happen. A lot of guys have fallen in the draft, some have never met expectations, some have been injury prone, and a handful have met expectations.

Maybe the changes in diet and a year of conditioning will help, but if we are being honest than an average starter in a year or two would be a huge success for him and where we got him. I do think that the changes in diet could help, I think there is a correlation with Wilson Chandler dropping off a cliff with his going vegan and wonder if you can get the nutrients to be a professional athlete that your body needs.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#42 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:29 am

The Rebel wrote:I am sure we all want Porter to come out and even meet expectations, but the more hype I see and read the less I believe it will happen. A lot of guys have fallen in the draft, some have never met expectations, some have been injury prone, and a handful have met expectations.

Maybe the changes in diet and a year of conditioning will help, but if we are being honest than an average starter in a year or two would be a huge success for him and where we got him. I do think that the changes in diet could help, I think there is a correlation with Wilson Chandler dropping off a cliff with his going vegan and wonder if you can get the nutrients to be a professional athlete that your body needs.

All true and well stated. I'd be happy if Porter was a 4th or 5th option as an offensive player and an average defensive forward. With Jokic & Murray as 1st & 2nd options; maybe Harris remains the 3rd option, so Porter or Grant or Vanderbilt can be the 4th or 5th option and I'd be quite happy if any/all of them work out as the 4th or 5th options.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#43 » by Indomitable » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:39 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:I am sure we all want Porter to come out and even meet expectations, but the more hype I see and read the less I believe it will happen. A lot of guys have fallen in the draft, some have never met expectations, some have been injury prone, and a handful have met expectations.

All true and well stated. I'd be happy if Porter was a 4th or 5th option as an offensive player and an average defensive forward. With Jokic & Murray as 1st & 2nd options; maybe Harris remains the 3rd option, so Porter or Grant or Vanderbilt can be the 4th or 5th option and I'd be quite happy if any/all of them work out as the 4th or 5th options.

What dietary changes did he make?
:banghead:
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Indomitable wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

He started eating meat.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,406

Post#45 » by Indomitable » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:22 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:All true and well stated. I'd be happy if Porter was a 4th or 5th option as an offensive player and an average defensive forward. With Jokic & Murray as 1st & 2nd options; maybe Harris remains the 3rd option, so Porter or Grant or Vanderbilt can be the 4th or 5th option and I'd be quite happy if any/all of them work out as the 4th or 5th options.

He started eating meat.

He needed to. I believe it ruined his brother career. I hope I am wrong.
:banghead:
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#46 » by The Rebel » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:39 pm

Indomitable wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
Indomitable wrote:What dietary changes did he make?

He started eating meat.

I believe it is only eggs and fish, but I think it was a step in the right direction.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#47 » by TunaFish » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:39 pm

The Rebel wrote:
Indomitable wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:He started eating meat.

I believe it is only eggs and fish, but I think it was a step in the right direction.

Look at the bright side, he probably will avoid cardiovascular disease.
Canned in Denver.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#48 » by TunaFish » Tue Oct 1, 2019 9:29 pm

Well that didn't take long. Early film from training camp is about MPJ.

https://streamable.com/3836j
Canned in Denver.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#49 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 10:15 pm

TunaFish wrote:Well that didn't take long. Early film from training camp is about MPJ.

https://streamable.com/3836j

May I have more, please ?? !!!!
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#50 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 2, 2019 1:05 am

Denver Nuggets media day
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 2, 2019 6:40 pm

Michael Porter Jr - loads of potential, hopes, and dreams; with loads of pressure. If he lives up to his potential - WOW! His reputation was that he was always the best player on the court. In the NBA, that's rare even for some of the elite. His reputation has been as a scorer with handles and moves. On the Nuggets, he's not going to be the #1 option and at least for a while, probably not the #2 option even when playing with the bench. His statement that he is going to focus on defense needs to become his mantra. That's what's going to bring him faster playing time than his offense. It will take time for his offensive skills to develop at an NBA level but I believe they'll get there. Let's hope his defense arrives too.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#52 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:13 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:Michael Porter Jr - loads of potential, hopes, and dreams; with loads of pressure. If he lives up to his potential - WOW! His reputation was that he was always the best player on the court. In the NBA, that's rare even for some of the elite. His reputation has been as a scorer with handles and moves. On the Nuggets, he's not going to be the #1 option and at least for a while, probably not the #2 option even when playing with the bench. His statement that he is going to focus on defense needs to become his mantra. That's what's going to bring him faster playing time than his offense. It will take time for his offensive skills to develop at an NBA level but I believe they'll get there. Let's hope his defense arrives too.

Not sure I totally agree. The Nuggets are a playoff team with or without Porter so the pressure on him is much less than were he on a lottery team. If he lives up to his potential it could vault us to a perennial contenders. I agree he's always BEEN the best player but this is now the NBA, 95% of all players go thru this adjustment. Personally, I think his offense, his bread and butter, will come around much faster than his defense, NBA level defense doesn't come around over night so it'll take more time to develop.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#53 » by THE J0KER » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:59 am

Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#54 » by Powder Blue » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:27 pm

3:30 MTN and he's still listed to play?? Say it ain't so!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#55 » by THE J0KER » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:38 pm

Powder Blue wrote:3:30 MTN and he's still listed to play?? Say it ain't so!

The only shadow about today's MPJ debut is Jokic's absence. So we will finally see Porter playing in Nuggets uniform, but today Nuggets team without Jokic will not be the full picture of how the team will look this season. If Jokic and Kawhi both will play on Thursday (DEN vs LAC) it will be a more relevant game about Porter and Grant than their today exciting Nuggets debut.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#56 » by Powder Blue » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:08 am

THE J0KER wrote:
Powder Blue wrote:3:30 MTN and he's still listed to play?? Say it ain't so!

The only shadow about today's MPJ debut is Jokic's absence. So we will finally see Porter playing in Nuggets uniform, but today Nuggets team without Jokic will not be the full picture of how the team will look this season. If Jokic and Kawhi both will play on Thursday (DEN vs LAC) it will be a more relevant game about Porter and Grant than their today exciting Nuggets debut.

Meh, I'm okay with Jokic sitting out, he's played a lot of ball this summer. Today is all about MPJ....Relevance and the pre-season aren't two words I'd use together much, Paul George won't be playing Thurs and I doubt Kawhi gets a ton of minutes.

Let me see our new toys MPJ and Grant in action first, then bring it all together by the end of the month!
SkillzFromThe6
Junior
And1: 355

Post#57 » by SkillzFromThe6 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:55 am

I really want to see Michael Porter Jr. play with the starters or just the bench unit. He's just a MAN amongst BOYS out there vs 3rd stringers
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#58 » by THE J0KER » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:13 am

I guess now, just like in Jokic case in 2016, or Murray case in 2017, we must to wait December for Malone to realize the obvious about Porter. This time Barton will be in the role of 2016 Nurkic and 2017 Mudiay.
Powder Blue
Analyst

Post#59 » by Powder Blue » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:25 am

THE J0KER wrote:I guess now, just like in Jokic case in 2016, or Murray case in 2017, we must to wait December for Malone to realize the obvious about Porter. This time Barton will be in the role of 2016 Nurkic and 2017 Mudiay.

I’m not quite sure MPJ is ready for the long haul of a full NBA season just yet. He def needs to supplant Barton as soon as he can though.
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#60 » by DaFan334 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:11 am

They almost have to let him run with the Starters a little bit in the next couple of games. The talent is undeniable and it would be a shame not to try and see what he was like with that skill around him.

Return to Denver Nuggets