Image ImageImage Image

Neil Funk to retire after this season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: Neil Funk to retire after this season 

Post#21 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 11:03 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Thank god. He was just awful and not in a lovable way. I hope Chuck Swirsky finally gets a shot, but when we met him he didn't seem optimistic that he would.

I really hope Chuck does step into TV, because he has previous experience doing so (with the Raptors I believe), and he has paid his dues with Chicago also.

We need someone with his energy, to bring on a new and exciting era of Bulls basketball. Perfect timing I'd say.
Why so serious?
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#22 » by wonderboy2 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 11:05 pm

Im surprised Neil Funk is not liked on this board that much. Imo he is hilarious.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#23 » by Hold That » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:25 am

Definitely going to be Chuck. As it should be. I can’t see them bringing in another “play by play” man unless chuck doesn’t want the job.

Can’t be a player unless they are going to fire King or run a three man crew. Never seen a former player become a play by play man, just an in game analyst
Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#24 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:38 am

I'll take Jason Benneti or Sarak Kustok
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,350

Post#25 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:51 am

dougthonus wrote:I loved Neil on the radio, I don't think he translated as well to TV. I'm excited for a fresh voice.

Honestly I did like him on the radio... mostly because you didn’t know on the radio that he wasn’t calling the game right. On TV my goodness he was painful. I will always remember fondly his radio call though it was a nice offset to what Kerr brought on TV. On TV only Hawk was more painful.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#26 » by FriedRise » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:15 am

I also didn’t know that Chuck Swirsky is 65 years old.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#27 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:43 am

Can we not get a national-level person?
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#28 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:21 am

I think it is Swirskys job. I would guess why he came back to radio after being in TV because he was looking for the TV job after Funk. That seems like a thing Jerry would promise.
robert76
Junior
And1: 232

Post#29 » by robert76 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:21 am

The one good thing I can say about Funk is that he's not as bad as that Boston annoying announcer, Tommy-something.
_txchilibowl_
Starter
And1: 2,177

Post#30 » by _txchilibowl_ » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:30 am

Funk is the worst. And Stacey can kick rocks too.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,250

Post#31 » by Mk0 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:52 am

Thanks Funk!

Can we get Swirsky!?
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,578

Post#32 » by DuckIII » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:49 am

Michael Jackson wrote:I think it is Swirskys job. I would guess why he came back to radio after being in TV because he was looking for the TV job after Funk. That seems like a thing Jerry would promise.

Some of the mods were guests of the Bulls last year and part of the program included getting to meet Swirsky and ask questions. One of them was if he’d take over for Neil. He seemed a little bummed when asked and made it pretty clear he didn’t think he’d be in line for the job.

It was surprising, but you could tell he genuinely did not believe he’d be the next TV guy.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#33 » by Ccwatercraft » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:52 am

I'm going to miss him
JDRochholz
General Manager
And1: 1,187

Post#34 » by JDRochholz » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:51 am

Let’s have a trifecta of King, Swirsky and Wennington
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#35 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:00 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:I think it is Swirskys job. I would guess why he came back to radio after being in TV because he was looking for the TV job after Funk. That seems like a thing Jerry would promise.

Some of the mods were guests of the Bulls last year and part of the program included getting to meet Swirsky and ask questions. One of them was if he’d take over for Neil. He seemed a little bummed when asked and made it pretty clear he didn’t think he’d be in line for the job.

It was surprising, but you could tell he genuinely did not believe he’d be the next TV guy.

Yeah that is a bit surprising honestly. Just seems like a logical move since he was a TV guy. Fits with Jerry’s nepotism too. I like swirsky although my mother hated him with a passion (granted she passed 32 years ago). I was influenced by how much she disliked him for a longtime. Based on nothing but a young mind and a parents bias it too me a long time to warm up to him.
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,543

Post#36 » by Andi Obst » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:21 pm

robert76 wrote:The one good thing I can say about Funk is that he's not as bad as that Boston annoying announcer, Tommy-something.
Tommy Heinsohn is easily and by far the worst announcer I've ever heard. The only acceptable volume when watching a game with him is mute, though I'd still like it to be lower somehow.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#37 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:01 pm

I wish they would just combine the radio and TV.
Chuck, Bill and Stacey and be done.

I probably listen to more than I watch, mostly for Chuck. He just does it right.
I try to sync the radio and TV but it never works.

Non-basketball Neil is great. If you remember when the Bulls first moved on ESPN and they had Steve Dahl and Funk talking, you really got to understand Neils humor. He's been slipping with age but the guy is treasure.

gotta say I'm a huge Benetti fan as well. I'll watch the White Sox just to listen to him.
He's been fab on the ESPN national telecasts.

In fact last night was the first time I realized ESPN does 2 broadcasts of the playoff games - one on ESPN2 with Benetti that is all stat cast-ish. I had this on a different TV and then went back upstairs to resume watching and I was on the ESPN cast with AWAD and was like 'what happened to Benetti?'

Amin is great but hes a national guy IMO. He should strive for a better gig.

Hinrich could be interesting.

I hope they surprise us with some ex players were not expecting.
That's kinda how we ended up with Stacey.

and I really miss Stormin Norm and Red
GinWeary
Senior
And1: 345

Post#38 » by GinWeary » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:32 pm

I am in the minority - but I do not like any of the Bulls on-air/radio personalities, including Swirsky. Not to say I dislike Swirsky, but I do not understand the hype or why other people love him. The Bulls broadcasting team is by far the worst in Chicago - Blackhawks, Cubs, Sox, and Joniak for the Bears radio are leaps and bounds superior to the Bulls amateur hour. I would be fine if they cleaned house and replaced everyone.
“Fortunately, there is gin, the sole glimmer in this darkness.Do you feel the golden, copper-coloured light it kindles in you? I like walking through the city of an evening in the warmth of gin.” – Albert Camus
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#39 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:34 pm

I am more suprised he got another year out of it. Classic Bulls. Keeping people on job who dont deserve anymore do their job. Nepotism at its fullest. He was overdue to retire 5 years ago.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#40 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:08 pm

GinWeary wrote:I am in the minority - but I do not like any of the Bulls on-air/radio personalities, including Swirsky. Not to say I dislike Swirsky, but I do not understand the hype or why other people love him. The Bulls broadcasting team is by far the worst in Chicago - Blackhawks, Cubs, Sox, and Joniak for the Bears radio are leaps and bounds superior to the Bulls amateur hour. I would be fine if they cleaned house and replaced everyone.

I am with you mostly on that. Swirsky is fine but not a fave. I don’t like King or Bill either to be honest, they are passable.

I disagree that they are worse even with Funk than the White Sox were with Hawk. Yes now that Harrelson is retired they have moved up but goodness that was awful. The production of Sox broadcasts are too sterile also. That may be due to 4 fans being in the park but it is also the filters on it.

Return to Chicago Bulls