Celtics Approach Jaylen Brown On Contract Extension

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Celtics Approach Jaylen Brown On Contract Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:09 am

The Boston Celtics recently reached out to Jaylen Brown about a possible contract extension.

The Celtics haven't signed a first round pick to an extension dating back 10 years.

“I’ve been able to watch these guys for three years,” Brown told BostonSportsJournal.com. “They have their process. They like to take their time. There is no rush at all. I don't know if they feel rushed. I hope they don't. There is no rush. They will figure it out or not figure it out. Either way is fine with me.”

Brown is currently operating without an agent.

Via Brian Robb/Boston Sports Journal

kanahda ballz
Junior
And1: 248

Re: Celtics Approach Jaylen Brown On Contract Extension 

Post#2 » by kanahda ballz » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:01 am

4 years/80 million is the most the Celts should offer Brown. If he asks for 100 million (or more) the Celts should just wait and see what offers he gets from other teams in the summer of 2020. And from there they can decide to match or let him walk.

IMO I can't see Brown getting max offers from other teams-unless he makes a gargantuan leap in production this upcoming season.
BasketballJunky
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#3 » by BasketballJunky » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:09 am

kanahda ballz wrote:4 years/80 million is the most the Celts should offer Brown. If he asks for 100 million (or more) the Celts should just wait and see what offers he gets from other teams in the summer of 2020. And from there they can decide to match or let him walk.

IMO I can't see Brown getting max offers from other teams-unless he makes a gargantuan leap in production this upcoming season.

He and Tatum will Take said leap
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#4 » by TimRobbins » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:48 am

Ainge will lowball him and he will walk. Celtics headed for another rebuild.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#5 » by meekrab » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:50 am

I love how he phrases it as something the Celtics have to figure out, as if he isn't starting negotiations from a massively disadvantageous position. :lol:
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#6 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:28 am

BasketballJunky wrote:
kanahda ballz wrote:4 years/80 million is the most the Celts should offer Brown. If he asks for 100 million (or more) the Celts should just wait and see what offers he gets from other teams in the summer of 2020. And from there they can decide to match or let him walk.

Based on what.. I think Jaylen is a good player but maxing him would be insane 4 years 80 mill is fair value.. They will max Tatum as their will be lots of interest their but whether he is a max player or not well to be determined..
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#7 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:34 am

Dont let em sucker you jaylen. The Lakers pay their Stars. Tell ainge dont be cheap.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#8 » by Sam195 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:58 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
BasketballJunky wrote:

Based on what.. I think Jaylen is a good player but maxing him would be insane 4 years 80 mill is fair value.. They will max Tatum as their will be lots of interest their but whether he is a max player or not well to be determined..

Contract extensions aren't about fair value they usually involve comparables. And free agency whether restricted or unrestricted is about pure market value aka what is the most another team is willing to pay you. The Sacramento Kings just resigned Harrison Barnes to a 4 year $85M deal and I would argue Brown is better with a higher ceiling. Andrew Wiggins signed a 5 year $148M extension with the Timberwolves in 2017 and lol I think most would argue Brown will likely develop into the best 2-way player between the two. My guess is Brown's camp (his business manager and possibly his family) is eyeing a 4 year $117M extension the same money D'Angelo Russell just got with the GSW via a max RFA contract via sign and trade. Brown's camp will likely argue he is taking a reasonable discount in terms of % of a rising salary camp and may not demand a player option on the fourth year of his deal thus giving the Celtics 4 more years of salary cost control on his contract just like his rookie deal.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 144

Post#9 » by Rashidi » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:10 am

No point to an extension with the existence of restricted free agency.

Extensions are for sure things who have earned it. Brown ain't remotely close. Porzingis didn't even get an extension. We're talking about the guy who lost his job to Marcus Smart?
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#10 » by Sam195 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:07 am

Rashidi wrote:No point to an extension with the existence of restricted free agency.

Extensions are for sure things who have earned it. Brown ain't remotely close. Porzingis didn't even get an extension. We're talking about the guy who lost his job to Marcus Smart?

You do extensions to keep the max superstars happy or to lock up the blue chips for cheap before they start peaking. Warriors locked up Stephen Curry for 4 years $44M (no opt out) in 2012 and Klay Thompson for 4 years $70M (no opt out) in 2014. The Thunder locked up Victor Oladipo for 4 years $84M in 2016 and flipped him as a major trade asset to land Paul George literally a year later. Portland locked up a young Lamarcus Aldridge for 5 years $65M in 2009 which was a huge discount (no opt out) and likely fueled the tension with the front office that led to him bolting to the Spurs in free agency right after that previous contract extension expired.
koningcosmo
Senior
And1: 636

Post#11 » by koningcosmo » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:28 am

Rashidi wrote:No point to an extension with the existence of restricted free agency.

i think you misspelled gordon hayward
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#12 » by cheese318 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 1:27 pm

Pretty sure KP was the reason why he didn’t get extended not the NYK. They would have locked him up right away before the injury. Pretty obvious he had his fears of being on the NYK longterm and got his wish to leave
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#13 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:08 pm

"Either way is fine with me."

Well, that's an awfully cavalier attitude about his potential extension. And Cleveland has capspace...
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#14 » by Barcs » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:18 pm

TAMPERING!!!!!!!!!
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#15 » by BigHustle » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:54 pm

Smart kid, love his attitude. Need to focus on the J and court vision. Hope he becomes deserving of a big contract this year.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#16 » by deepeeenn » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:45 pm

Sam195 wrote:

You do extensions to keep the max superstars happy or to lock up the blue chips for cheap before they start peaking. Warriors locked up Stephen Curry for 4 years $44M (no opt out) in 2012 and Klay Thompson for 4 years $70M (no opt out) in 2014. The Thunder locked up Victor Oladipo for 4 years $84M in 2016 and flipped him as a major trade asset to land Paul George literally a year later. Portland locked up a young Lamarcus Aldridge for 5 years $65M in 2009 which was a huge discount (no opt out) and likely fueled the tension with the front office that led to him bolting to the Spurs in free agency right after that previous contract extension expired.

You realize that when Aldridge got his extension that he wasn’t proven? He hadn’t made an all star game nor showed he could carry a team as the number one option? Not to forget that 2009 was before the last CBA negations (2011) and cap hadn’t spiked yet? That was a very reasonable contract for him at the time. He wasn’t tense on it. What led him to leave was surely something else. Let’s not try to revise history here. LMA also got screwed by the TV Deal spike because he signed his next contract before that took effect. But he got the legal max with the Spurs. Can’t be too mad at that.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.

Return to Wiretap Discussion