Image ImageImage Image

KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Re: KC Mailbag "Dunn looks great in workouts"... Thinks he will start 

Post#141 » by ZOMG » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:37 am

Chi wrote:The thing about Dunn is, now even if he starts to break out and look like what the lottery pick projections said he would be. I still just don't want him on this team.

I just don't like his style of play for this roster. Obviously I love the Defense, but offensively (at his best) he'd just be a decent slasher/playmaker. Which isn't the worst thing in the world, but I really like the idea of having a shooter at PG.

It's borderline mandatory when it comes to winning now in the modern NBA.

So with that said, if he really is set to break out this year, I look forward to seeing what we can add to this roster in a trade for him.

This is what I've been saying.

If Kris Dunn was a superstar, we'd build the team around him.
If Kris Dunn was an All-Star, we'd keep that in mind when acquiring players and designing plays for him.
If Kris Dunn was a very solid NBA starter, we'd try to create an environment where he'd thrive along with the rest of the starters.

Dunn is none of those things. He simply isn't in a position where his style of play should in any way affect the team. He needs to change, not the team. So far he hasn't showed that ability.

Dunn isn't worth all this hand-wringing. It's not very problematic to find people who can move the ball at the PG spot, defend reasonably well and hit open shots. That's all we need.

In fact, we have several people like that currently on the roster. Just let them play and the problem is solved.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#142 » by sco » Thu Oct 3, 2019 12:43 pm

What hasn't been said so far is that IIRC Dunn has historically had bad offseasons (and real seasons) in terms of his work ethic. I do believe (maybe due to contract perceptions and job security) that he worked hard and it has shown itself in his body and on-court play. I think Pax and Jim wanted to give him props for doing that to show their approval.
:clap:
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#143 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:46 pm

if Dunn starts this franchise didnt learn nothing out last year. Which also means they picked White as just he was there. Which means in reality we wasted draft pick. Because Dunn was likely 30th out 30 starting PG's in league. Which means you selected in draft at #7 guy who is not even capable be starting PG. As franchise you decided you dont believe in him.

And on top of that you signed in FA a guy who started in NBA last year and proven he as was solid PG. More likely suited for backup role, but still starter material if needed.

And yet Dunn is on roster and starting. Please remove Kris Dunn of this roster today, tommorow, next month, just remove him so we can move on as franchise from disasters called scrubs who dont fit with rest of roster or philosophy you trying to implement.
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#144 » by JimmyJammer » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:41 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:if Dunn starts this franchise didnt learn nothing out last year. Which also means they picked White as just he was there. Which means in reality we wasted draft pick. Because Dunn was likely 30th out 30 starting PG's in league. Which means you selected in draft at #7 guy who is not even capable be starting PG. As franchise you decided you dont believe in him.

And on top of that you signed in FA a guy who started in NBA last year and proven he as was solid PG. More likely suited for backup role, but still starter material if needed.

And yet Dunn is on roster and starting. Please remove Kris Dunn of this roster today, tommorow, next month, just remove him so we can move on as franchise from disasters called scrubs who dont fit with rest of roster or philosophy you trying to implement.

Nothing would please me more than seeing Coby White come out and snatch that starting position from any of his competitors, which would imply that he has arrived. He did that in North Carolina despite the odds being against him to do so. Coby White going against a ball hawk like Dunn everyday in practice will end up being a blessing in disguise when it comes to his development. If many of us fans think that Dunn is not the solution, why should we worry whether or not he can be beaten for that starting spot? Shouldn't that happen inevitably? In my world, if you can't beat Dunn, who is supposedly a crappy player, fairly for the starting spot, it means you are not the solution to our starting PG problem, at least not yet.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,215

Post#145 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:43 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:
TheFinishSniper wrote:if Dunn starts this franchise didnt learn nothing out last year. Which also means they picked White as just he was there. Which means in reality we wasted draft pick. Because Dunn was likely 30th out 30 starting PG's in league. Which means you selected in draft at #7 guy who is not even capable be starting PG. As franchise you decided you dont believe in him.

Nothing would please me more than seeing Coby White come out and snatch that starting position from any of his competitors, which would imply that he has arrived. He did that in North Carolina despite the odds being against him to do so. Coby White going against a ball hawk like Dunn everyday in practice will end up being a blessing in disguise when it comes to his development. If many of us fans think that Dunn is not the solution, why should we worry whether or not he can be beaten for that starting spot? Shouldn't that happen inevitably? In my world, if you can't beat Dunn, who is supposedly a crappy player, fairly for the starting spot, it means you are not the solution to our starting PG problem, at least not yet.

And if you need to be given the keys to the kingdom as a rookie then you may not be championship caliber. M Jeff would have found his way into the starting rotation by like week 3 if he were Coby.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,984

Post#146 » by Chi town » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:20 pm

Who said he’s starting?

I know K.C. thinks he will but according to the best guys Sato has been getting most of the first team reps
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#147 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:09 pm

Chi town wrote:
I know K.C. thinks he will but according to the best guys Sato has been getting most of the first team reps

Because KC doesnt have his own opinion. He is Bulls FO mouthpiece from head to toe. If he thinks something you know who thinks something.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,984

Post#148 » by Chi town » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:52 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Because KC doesnt have his own opinion. He is Bulls FO mouthpiece from head to toe. If he thinks something you know who thinks something.

Just like Deng not being traded.
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 738

Post#149 » by Hold That » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:21 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:

And honestly it’s really that simple.. I could care less what someone did in a Wizards uniform or in college. If you can’t outplay Dunn then our concerns shouldn’t be Dunn it should be Sato and Coby. And why haven’t they received any praises especially considering most new players do when they look good.
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,372

Post#150 » by The Box Office » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:24 am

I hope Kris Dunn starts. That means we're missing the playoffs again. Gotta aim for a Top 5 pick.
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#151 » by weneeda2guard » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:36 am

The Box Office wrote:I hope Kris Dunn starts. That means we're missing the playoffs again. Gotta aim for a Top 5 pick.

We not pass this pipe dream yet?!
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#152 » by JimmyJammer » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:27 am

The Box Office wrote:I hope Kris Dunn starts. That means we're missing the playoffs again. Gotta aim for a Top 5 pick.

Once upon a time, there was a player named Chris Bogan who used to start the first 6 minutes of the game for a contending team. I am convinced he was not any better than Dunn. It's not who starts, it's who finishes games. If you cannot beat crappy Dunn, you have not earned your stripes. At the end of the day, with a team loaded with 4 point guards, I expect the point guard who fits to be the starter to emerge; and, all he has to prove is to be the best fit, not actually the best player. I am excited, let's go...
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,556

Post#153 » by Ice Man » Fri Oct 4, 2019 6:42 pm

JimmyJammer wrote:Once upon a time, there was a player named Chris Bogan who used to start the first 6 minutes of the game for a contending team.

Is that Keith Bogan's witness protection name? If so, it's not a very good alias. :wink:
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#154 » by madvillian » Fri Oct 4, 2019 7:19 pm

Ice Man wrote:
JimmyJammer wrote:Once upon a time, there was a player named Chris Bogan who used to start the first 6 minutes of the game for a contending team.

Is that Keith Bogan's witness protection name? If so, it's not a very good alias. :wink:

The Good, the Bad, the Bogans.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Post#155 » by NWIBullsFan » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:21 pm

Ice Man wrote:

That's the genius of it, who goes into hiding and keeps the same last name?
jsleesl28
Freshman
And1: 59

Post#156 » by jsleesl28 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm

i just dont get how he can be so bad dribbling the ball.

i dont think i have seen a "point guard" who loses ball by bouncing it off his knee so many freaking time.

i would not want to give him any minutes over coby white. i think coby is legit.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#157 » by MGB8 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:43 pm

jsleesl28 wrote:i just dont get how he can be so bad dribbling the ball.

i dont think i have seen a "point guard" who loses ball by bouncing it off his knee so many freaking time.

i would not want to give him any minutes over coby white. i think coby is legit.

So far, the "Dunn looks great" has proven to be more fluff than factual. If anything, he's regressing. Very possible cut candidate, despite the guaranteed 5 million.
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#158 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:46 pm

As a fan, I can only say "yuck" to that idea.

If we're sucky again, once again i'll be tuning out before the ASB and using my league pass to watch other teams like last year then eventually I'll just ignore the nba until playoff time. I really don't want that to happen.

The bulls are the primary reason i've kept my subscription to hbo and cinemax the last 2 years, needed something decent to watch.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,067

Post#159 » by MrSparkle » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Every time I think “Boylen knows what he’s doing”, he wastes my time with something like a Dunn-Felicio starting line-up.

I don’t care if it’s a scrimmage against the Shanghai Sharks... what was he thinking? I’d rather start Thad at C than Felicio, and I’d rather start Arci (or Coby, or Sato) at PG.

Dunn is so out of sorts and sync with this team. When you consider he’s played with Zach for 4 years, it’s sad actually. These two do not work. Dunn doesn’t work with anybody.

He will benefit from a chance playing with a really good contender where he’s asked to defend and hustle out his mind. LeBron, Harden, Kawhi would appreciate him, and seeing as Dunn is clearly a confidence player, i can see him becoming good in such a situation and then Chicago being like “why’d we dump him!” But frankly, it won’t happen here.

Bad fit, bad log-jam. Pax is the master of the log-jam that leads nowhere. Non-complimentary players that need high minutes at the exact same position.

Kirk-Duhon-Gordon-Pargo
Deng-Noc-Thabo-Khryapa
Tyrus-PJ/Joe-Noah-Wallace
Boozer-Taj (with Noah-Asik-Kurt closing all C minutes)
Noah-Pau-Taj-Niko-Portis
Lauri-Niko-Portis later Jabari

James Johnson lost somewhere along the way.

In many ways, Thad was kind of a bonkers addition considering what’s a stake with Lauri and Wendell’s development.

Jesus. Do not overpay to put 3+ talents who need minutes to develop and further blend in high minute vets. It’s stupid.

This is exactly what disaster he’s set himself up with Sato/Coby and keeping Arci and Dunn.

Someone’s gonna get punched in practice.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#160 » by logical_art » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Dunn just isn't very good. He's not a good creator. He's not a good finisher. He's not a good shooter. He's not a good passer. He's not super athletic.

He's got good size for the position and can play good defense, when he wants to (Which isn't that often).

Return to Chicago Bulls