Image ImageImage Image

Neil Funk to retire after this season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

IamSam
Senior
And1: 218

Re: Neil Funk to retire after this season 

Post#41 » by IamSam » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:09 pm

Ccwatercraft wrote:I'm going to miss him

Same here, though I will admit that more recently I have been a bit frustrated with the mistakes. But overall, I liked Neil and hope we get a great replacement.
GinWeary
Senior
And1: 345

Post#42 » by GinWeary » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:27 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
GinWeary wrote:I am in the minority - but I do not like any of the Bulls on-air/radio personalities, including Swirsky. Not to say I dislike Swirsky, but I do not understand the hype or why other people love him. The Bulls broadcasting team is by far the worst in Chicago - Blackhawks, Cubs, Sox, and Joniak for the Bears radio are leaps and bounds superior to the Bulls amateur hour. I would be fine if they cleaned house and replaced everyone.

I am with you mostly on that. Swirsky is fine but not a fave. I don’t like King or Bill either to be honest, they are passable.

I disagree that they are worse even with Funk than the White Sox were with Hawk. Yes now that Harrelson is retired they have moved up but goodness that was awful. The production of Sox broadcasts are too sterile also. That may be due to 4 fans being in the park but it is also the filters on it.

You make a valid point - Hawk was awful. Being a Cubs fan, I do not often seek out Sox broadcasts but know that Stone was very good back in his Cubs days and Benetti generally gets rave reviews.

While I do not see many non-Bulls broadcasts, I think basketball commentators in general, especially national games on TNT and ESPN, are too goofy and unprofessional - they try way too hard to be funny, especially former players (Shaq, Chuck, Reggie). Unfortunately, King falls into that category for me (how many times must we hear about his golden pipes? Shut up already). I wish the NBA had an equivalent of a Tony Romo - former player, provides knowledgeable insight into the game/strategy/plays, and is just natural in talking about the sport he loves.
“Fortunately, there is gin, the sole glimmer in this darkness.Do you feel the golden, copper-coloured light it kindles in you? I like walking through the city of an evening in the warmth of gin.” – Albert Camus
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,213

Post#43 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:41 pm

GinWeary wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
GinWeary wrote:I am in the minority - but I do not like any of the Bulls on-air/radio personalities, including Swirsky. Not to say I dislike Swirsky, but I do not understand the hype or why other people love him. The Bulls broadcasting team is by far the worst in Chicago - Blackhawks, Cubs, Sox, and Joniak for the Bears radio are leaps and bounds superior to the Bulls amateur hour. I would be fine if they cleaned house and replaced everyone.

I am with you mostly on that. Swirsky is fine but not a fave. I don’t like King or Bill either to be honest, they are passable.

I disagree that they are worse even with Funk than the White Sox were with Hawk. Yes now that Harrelson is retired they have moved up but goodness that was awful. The production of Sox broadcasts are too sterile also. That may be due to 4 fans being in the park but it is also the filters on it.

You make a valid point - Hawk was awful. Being a Cubs fan, I do not often seek out Sox broadcasts but know that Stone was very good back in his Cubs days and Benetti generally gets rave reviews.

While I do not see many non-Bulls broadcasts, I think basketball commentators in general, especially national games on TNT and ESPN, are too goofy and unprofessional - they try way too hard to be funny, especially former players (Shaq, Chuck, Reggie). Unfortunately, King falls into that category for me (how many times must we hear about his golden pipes? Shut up already). I wish the NBA had an equivalent of a Tony Romo - former player, provides knowledgeable insight into the game/strategy/plays, and is just natural in talking about the sport he loves.

Stone is one of my favorites because he taught me everything I knew about baseball growing up watching the cubs (I learned nothing from Harry but that was kinda his charm). Cubs botched it letting him go. The Sox ruined it by pairing him with Hawk who just needed to go.

I agree I definitely don’t like former players unless they are good. I get Shaq and Charles as they have always been “entertaining” if that’s what we want to call it. I hear the clamoring for Kirk but I have no idea if that guy is good behind a mic and if he has any insight.

All that being said, most broadcasts are going to be too dumb for the nerds like us who post during the off-season. The guys we woukd like would likely alienate the casual fan.

FWIW I was super excited to have Funk join the TV team. He made my childhood great calling those games. Then I found out that he wasn’t actually calling the game that was going on the screen. It was like as an adult I found out that my childhood was a lie and I was adopted. In fact I had to go to rewatch all the championship seasons just to make sure the bulls won because funk was such an unreliable narrator. I kid I kid he really had great energy for the radio.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#44 » by transplant » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:13 pm

rtblues wrote:Or to those around in Motta years, Art Fleming, "the Bulls are out of the pack and running"....
Bulls broadcasters for $200.
Fleming is a great pull, but it was Jack Fleming. Art Fleming was the original Jeopardy host.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,694

Post#45 » by SfBull » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:46 pm

dougthonus wrote:I loved Neil on the radio, I don't think he translated as well to TV. I'm excited for a fresh voice.

Do you believe Chuck will translate from radio to TV?He called a few games last season for a safe conclusion but was the best replacing Funk in my view.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#46 » by dougthonus » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:22 pm

SfBull wrote:Do you believe Chuck will translate from radio to TV?He called a few games last season for a safe conclusion but was the best replacing Funk in my view.

No idea really. I think TV is much harder than radio. On radio, you chew up lots of time describing the action. On TV, you have to fill lots of time for people who are watching the action and don't need a description. I think they actually become very different types of skills.

It doesn't mean Chuck doesn't have both, obviously there's a lot of similar requirements to be good in terms of understanding the game/players, but the delivery is really different. I'm up for Chuck getting a shot at it, I couldn't name anyone better to pick. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he has some struggles too in the adjustment if he gets it.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#47 » by rtblues » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:26 pm

transplant wrote:
rtblues wrote:Or to those around in Motta years, Art Fleming, "the Bulls are out of the pack and running"....
Bulls broadcasters for $200.
Fleming is a great pull, but it was Jack Fleming. Art Fleming was the original Jeopardy host.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

My bad!
transplant for the win...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#48 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:46 pm

I'd love to see Wayne Larrivee return. Jason Benneti was very good when he subbed for Neil last season.

Funk wasn't great on TV, but him and Stacey balanced each other out pretty well in terms of personality. Never got to hear Funk on radio, but it seems like he's universally praised for his work there and had a historical run with the Bulls. Props to him.

Stacey King is great btw and the Bulls should keep him forever. When he first got on TV he was pretty green, but he's really settled into his own style of color commentating and being a hypeman for the Bulls stars. He has a very unique ability to sell and react to a highlight like no other color commentator. I know some find it overbearing, but he really does make the best moments feel like the best moments.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,407

Post#49 » by Indomitable » Thu Oct 3, 2019 11:51 pm

5 years to late.
:banghead:
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Post#50 » by HomoSapien » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:39 am

dougthonus wrote:
SfBull wrote:Do you believe Chuck will translate from radio to TV?He called a few games last season for a safe conclusion but was the best replacing Funk in my view.

No idea really. I think TV is much harder than radio. On radio, you chew up lots of time describing the action. On TV, you have to fill lots of time for people who are watching the action and don't need a description. I think they actually become very different types of skills.

It doesn't mean Chuck doesn't have both, obviously there's a lot of similar requirements to be good in terms of understanding the game/players, but the delivery is really different. I'm up for Chuck getting a shot at it, I couldn't name anyone better to pick. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he has some struggles too in the adjustment if he gets it.

It's impossible to say one way or the other (though if I'm correct, he did Raptors games on TV and was well liked). Funk seemed to be really popular when he was on the radio, and then when he shifted to TV I remember a lot of fans wondering if they had been listening to him incorrectly calling the game on the radio for years.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,174

Post#51 » by HomoSapien » Fri Oct 4, 2019 12:44 am

Here's an example of Swirsky's broadcasting. I just love how positive he is. He might a little bit of a homer, but I kind of don't mind that from a local broadcast.

I also thought the guy who was doing half the telecasts this year was really solid. The female play by play person we had a few times was also really good.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#52 » by Polynice4Pippen » Fri Oct 4, 2019 2:15 am

Funk had a great run, but it's time.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#53 » by terry » Fri Oct 4, 2019 4:10 am

Growing up as a kid in the 90s. Funk was the best on the radio, calling the bulls championships. We never had cable in my house growing up, so if the bulls weren't on wgn, I'd have the listen to the games on the radio with Neil Funk and derrick dickey. Funk was so good at calling and describing the game... It was almost as fun and memorable as watching it on TV

Definitely wasn't as fond of him in his later years and the past 10 years or so on TV, like everyone else. The mistakes, constant badgering and criticism of players on the other teams, some of the exaggerations "so and so with a looooooong 3" when it's just a normal 3 point shot... Yeah the schtick definitely got a little old near the end here.

But I appreciate all he did on the radio. Awesome radio voice. Hope swirsky gets a chance at tv, but like funk, id miss swirsky on the radio. Has really become a staple and I've enjoyed his radio call over the years just as much as I enjoyed funk on the radio
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#54 » by rtblues » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:42 am

dougthonus wrote:

A while back Swirsky tweeted out thanks to people wanting him to follow Funk, and said he will not be doing TV for the Bulls in any foreseeable future. It can change of course, but it doesn't sound like he WANTS the job...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#55 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 4, 2019 1:36 pm

rtblues wrote:A while back Swirsky tweeted out thanks to people wanting him to follow Funk, and said he will not be doing TV for the Bulls in any foreseeable future. It can change of course, but it doesn't sound like he WANTS the job...

I met Chuck last year at a Bulls event where he was speaking to a group of us, and in that conversation the idea of him taking over for Neil came up, and I inferred from the conversation that he would be interested but didn't think he would be offered. I could have inferred incorrectly of course, and it was a year ago so things also change.

I'd root for him to get a chance if he wanted to do it though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
BeKuK
RealGM
And1: 834

Post#56 » by BeKuK » Fri Oct 4, 2019 3:51 pm

Well, let me say this: It's about time for him to retire, but I 've nothing but respect for him. He's a Bull as much as we all are. We can argue about the level of the way he has done his job (especially the last couple years), but c'mon.....in one way it was fun to listen to him.

However, I'm happy I had a chance to meet him at the UC back in 2010 and really wish him nothing but the best.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#57 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:13 am

SfBull wrote:
dougthonus wrote:I loved Neil on the radio, I don't think he translated as well to TV. I'm excited for a fresh voice.

Do you believe Chuck will translate from radio to TV?He called a few games last season for a safe conclusion but was the best replacing Funk in my view.

Good bad or otherwise he did do TV in Toronto. So he knows the job at least. You can prolly YouTube his call from those years and see if you like his call. I am not a huge fan but I don’t dislike him either.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#58 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:16 am

rtblues wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

A while back Swirsky tweeted out thanks to people wanting him to follow Funk, and said he will not be doing TV for the Bulls in any foreseeable future. It can change of course, but it doesn't sound like he WANTS the job...

I don’t know he might want it but doesn’t want to ruffle feathers and get squeezed out of radio by making a stink. He is playing a politician I think. I can’t imagine he wouldn’t want it though. He has experience. Maybe though his experience was bad and that is why he came back to radio?
hungarianjordan
Sophomore
And1: 180

Post#59 » by hungarianjordan » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:21 pm

I believe Chuck was the TV play by play guy for the raptors for a long time before joining the Bulls. If you YouTube raps clips from the 2000s you can hear his voice
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#60 » by Michael Jackson » Tue Oct 8, 2019 12:11 pm

Is KC getting this job?

Return to Chicago Bulls