The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Re: 2019 SPURS MEDIA DAY, TRAINING CAMP & PRE-SEASON GAMES 

Post#22 » by G R E Y » Fri Oct 4, 2019 7:34 pm

With all due respect to Coach Becky and Coach Will, I am still thrilled when I remind myself that Timmy's not there just to work out with the guys but is now fully on board with the coaching staff.
Read on Twitter

Ooof that dose of reality is always a gut punch, but the guys are receptive and taking in that it's in their hands to do better, and that every play counts. Fuel.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jakob - https://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2019/10/03/2824731/1570125622406-jakob-poeltl-training-camp-10-3-19-2824731

Luka - https://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2019/10/03/2824732/1570125890835-luka-samanic-training-camp-10-3-19-2824732

Keldon - https://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2019/10/03/2824753/1570126422484-keldon-johnson-training-camp-10-3-19-2824753
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,449

Post#23 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:17 pm

Magic fan coming in peace.

Just wanted to know if anyone was actually attending tomorrows game? Was hoping someone could at least give a brief overview of the game due to it not being televised.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#24 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:46 am

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:Magic fan coming in peace.

Just wanted to know if anyone was actually attending tomorrows game? Was hoping someone could at least give a brief overview of the game due to it not being televised.

Hey, I wish, alas it's a no for me, but check out Spurs Facebook - they've had games there in the past. Other than that, I'll be following SA sports writers on Twitter and hoping they post some video highlights.

If any game info comes along, video or otherwise, we'll post it here.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#25 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 5, 2019 5:57 pm

TRAINING CAMP, DAY 4 (4-10-2019):

I don't know if this was cancelled or the doors were closed to media, but there's nothing on it.

Some article quotes instead, then:
Lawson: Landing with Spurs a ‘blessing’

The sting of going undrafted diminished when Kansas-ex Dedric Lawson gained a one-year, non-guaranteed Exhibit 10 contract with the Spurs.

“It’s a blessing to be with such a prestigious organization,” he said. “Coach Pop (Gregg Popovich) talks to me every now and then just to see how I am doing. They are making me feel so welcome.”

A strong low-post scorer in college, Lawson said he’s been receiving tips from LaMarcus Aldridge.

“He’s been talking to me about how to really be effective (down low),” Lawson said. “I’m a good observer right now.”

Lawson said he’s open to whatever plans the Spurs have for him, including spending the season with the Austin Spurs in the G League. Should he stay with Austin for 60 days, the Spurs will owe him a bonus of up to $50,000.

“Whatever happens, happens,” he said. “I am just going to play as hard as I can. I know that with this organization, I am going to be guided in the right direction.”

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-waste-not-time-beefing-up-rookie-Luka-14493340.php

"I have learned a lot from him just from that one year," White said Saturday of playing with DeRozan last season after the Spurs acquired him in the Kawhi Leonard trade with Toronto. "He's always pulling me aside, telling me what to work on, checking on my head and stuff like that. In the locker room, he is great. Everybody gets a long, him joking around. He's a great guy and a great teammate."

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/DeRozan-reiterates-contract-not-his-main-focus-14494936.php
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#26 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:13 pm

PRE-SEASON GAME 1: SPURS VS. MAGIC

WHERE: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX

WHEN: Saturday, October 5, 2019, 7:30pm (CT)
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#27 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:28 pm

SHOOTAROUND:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Link to interviews with DeMar and Derrick:

DeMar - https://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2019/10/05/2827644/1570293134063-demar-derozan-shootaround-10-05-19-2827644

Derrick - https://www.nba.com/spurs/video/teams/spurs/2019/10/05/2827645/1570293227964-derrick-white-shootaround-10-5-19-2827645
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#28 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 5, 2019 6:29 pm

One of these guys stands out from the list. Not sure why young guy Trey's sitting as you'd expect him to be on the list of players who could use some minutes. Maybe it's because he's learning the system (same for DeMarre) and getting more reps within it comes first. Assumptions about the past have to be put aside unless other info is revealed.

You can't give twenty guys meaningful minutes in one game. Maybe it's just the two new additions benefiting more from all the details of practice and letting others - those on Exhibit 10 or two-way contracts - show what they can do in this game.
Read on Twitter

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#29 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:29 pm

I like the addition of the Spurs logo bottom right on various media now:
Read on Twitter

More importantly, so there is a camera, at least during pre-game:
Read on Twitter

And snippets from local reporters:
Read on Twitter

*welp*
Read on Twitter

Not for nothing, but Patty with the Fiesta-coloured shorts and shoes has to be a hint of things to come. It has to be!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#30 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:33 pm

Jakob said in a post-practice interview that Spurs were playing Dejounte and Derrick back court quite a bit, so hopefully we see that in play. Bryn did very well for us last season in a trial-by-fire situation, as did Derrick. Bryn does give us some space creation with his outside shot. This is just the initial iteration, and one that is evolving as we see how guys play together:
Read on Twitter

So, DeMar's out. I wonder who'll replace him. No word yet. I guess that starting line-up a half hour before game time doesn't apply to pre-season.

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#31 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:55 am

Yeeaaaasss!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#32 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 6, 2019 12:59 am

Read on Twitter

Video evidence!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#33 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:30 am

Well, good thing the score doesn't matter so much as who got some minutes to showcase their games and what we did in 48 minutes:
Read on Twitter

By the time I found a working video source half way through the third Q, the game was well out of hand. But given that we had many players who will not be with the big club in the game with various line-up configurations, we looked out of sorts on O which accounts in part to the 22 turnovers. We also had it stolen 18 times and were blocked 8 times, which attests to new line-ups, but also some individual focus,the feel among the players, and to the game at this level. Welcome to the NBA, rooks!

Still, you like to see certain effort on D, and although you're going to get confusion and miscommunication, rotations and especially late or lackadaisical close outs (looking at you, Drew) need some film and teaching and execution.

Keldon, bless his heart, drove and drove and drove, and he kept missing bunnies or getting blocked, but he did get some baskets and fouls. He's raw but relentless.

Luka played only 8 minutes and showed some good O rebound effort. His body control on drives looked out of sorts. He's green, but again, we drafted him to develop what we saw in three years scouting him.

Quinn looked the most poised and polished of the three in terms of playing withing himself, when to drive, his control in getting points against tall defenders, and that's not a surprise given he has more experience.

Metu's game is developing well. The FIBA experience seems to have given him a boost. He has a nice J and good inside moves and shots that are more controlled to good effect. Still a rebounding pogo stick.

We have a couple of days of instilling the program in practice before we head over to Florida to face the Heat on Tuesday.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#34 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 6, 2019 4:54 am

Also, blessings, Part I:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

And Part II YES!!!!!:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,619

Post#35 » by Baphomet » Sun Oct 6, 2019 6:43 pm

Missed the game last night... thanks time zones. Scoreline was a little shocking but glad to see that Forbes is looking as sharp as ever, he's going to be important for this team this season as he brings a little extra dimension we don't get from elsewhere. Gonna take a while to get Dejounte back to fitness but I'm feeling optimistic. I'm liking Keldon's aggressiveness, the finishing will come in time.

All in all, disappointing to lose but some positives to take. Preseason records are almost always fools gold, so you're looking at the little things.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#36 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:31 pm

PRE-SEASON GAME 2: SPURS AT HEAT

WHERE: American Airlines Arena, Miami, FL

WHEN: Tuesday, October 8, 2019, 6:30pm (CT)

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#37 » by G R E Y » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:34 pm

Lyles will now miss his second consecutive pre-season game. I can't help but wonder what 'rest' is a euphemism for:
Read on Twitter

EDIT to add: It stands for nothing nefarious. Serves me right for assuming.
Read on Twitter

Feel better, Trey!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#38 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 9, 2019 1:30 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#39 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:23 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#40 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 9, 2019 2:57 am

Well we started well enough. Dejounte was probing and found open teammates, drove got two defenders on him and dished to a cutting Jakob several times. He has a nice outside shot now, and though he took it late in the shot clock and missed a couple of times, he is great at the FT line. It's a fine balance of getting that feel when to get your own, and I'm confident he'll get it with more reps.

That's twice now we started the game with screens and eventual pop out by LMA and back pass by the ball handler for a LMA top of arc 3. It's a nice simple play that is effective. We were looking for other set plays and getting Jakob involved which was good to see.

We got outrebounded badly and a lot of that has to do with effort. Mental mistakes that led to bad passes and getting stripped made for many turnovers and easy points against.

We have allowed big runs against (end of second and third) and it's from both TOing it on one end and missing shots on the other. White in particular will soon have to put a photo on a milk carton to help find his shot.

We cut it to within three points and then they went on something like a 15 point run and never looked back. Frankly, we wilted and looked disjointed. The starters barely played in the latter third of the game but the effort and cohesion from those in the game was lacking.

At some point in the third Q Dejounte left the court and I didn't notice him return so from that point on I was kind of in a daze. It seemed that was a turning point of the team just playing to get the game over with. No teeth, just letting them get inside, dunk, and being out of sync on the other end. On the one hand, it's to be expected with two Exhibit-10 guys out there with two rookies and Drew. On the other, you want to see some fire and fight. It just didn't seem like guys were competing, and I don't know if that's because like me they were concerned about DJ or what, but the focus after he left took a dive.

At some point, and I think it'll be after the next game if not after this one, we'll have to set the rotations more and trim minutes of those on the outside of the main roster to get players who are staying on with the big club in a good rhythm.

On a positive note:
Read on Twitter

I can exhale now. I'm ok with not knowing why he left the court so long as DJ's ok.

Back home for the next one on Sunday where we get our first glimpse of the new Pels. Hopefully we bring some intensity and cohesion from that point forward.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs