ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2020 Mets Thread, p. 50

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Re: Official 2019 Mets Thread, II, p. 337 

Post#661 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:50 pm

blueNorange wrote:btw i'm gonna predict this inevitable terrible off season

- mets hire joe girardi
- mets don't re-sign zack wheeler
- mets trade conforto to unload familia's contract
- mets move lugo to the bp because they're dumb
- mets sign tanner roark and sell everyone he's as good, if not better than zack wheeler
- mets trade ramos but don't have anyone to replace him

That's sounds about right except for the Ramos part. He's gonna stay for more Noah drama next season.

Btw, I saw that pot shot you attempted to take at me on Lugo. :lol: It's "from the bp" not "to the bp." He's already in the bp. This question is whether to move him to starting rotation. Capisce? If we sign someone to replace Wheeler (or trade for one), then Lugo will stay in the lineup. So if you so sure we're signing Roark, then there's no room in the starting rotation for Lugo anyhow.

Try and make sense and keep up. :lol:
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#662 » by 2010 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 9:58 pm

Mets ain't trading Conforto.
And if Mets trade Ramos to the AL, it'll be cuz they're signing Grandal

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#663 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:47 pm

2010 wrote:Mets ain't trading Conforto.

I'll be honest, I have no idea what kind rabbit Brodie is going to pull out of his ass this off season. You're probably right and the Mets will sign him to an extension but can disappear at times. Yes, his OBP is decent but not where I hope it would be which is closer to .400. Forto has also gotten a little pull crazy which seems to lead to this inconsistency and hence his lower than expected BA. He hovered around .250-60 most of the year. He should be at least .280-.300 and hitting to all fields on a consistent basis. He's a gap-to-gap hitter like Mattingly. You can see it when he pulls off the ball.

So I don't know what Brodie's going to do other than keeping Diaz and Syndergaard because he said so publicly. I guess it's safe to assume that the following are also going to be on the team next season for various reasons:

deGrom
Alonso
McNeil
Lugo
Cano
Matz
Rosario
Ramos (I don't see us going after Grandal after he turned down our multiyear contract offer last offseason)
Lowrie
Conforto
Free Palestine
RealGM
And1: 39,138

Post#664 » by 2010 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:09 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

I'll be honest, I have no idea what kind rabbit Brodie is going to pull out of his ass this off season. You're probably right and the Mets will sign him to an extension but can disappear at times. Yes, his OBP is decent but not where I hope it would be which is closer to .400. Forto has also gotten a little pull crazy which seems to lead to this inconsistency and hence his lower than expected BA. He hovered around .250-60 most of the year. He should be at least .280-.300 and hitting to all fields on a consistent basis. He's a gap-to-gap hitter like Mattingly. You can see it when he pulls off the ball.

So I don't know what Brodie's going to do other than keeping Diaz and Syndergaard because he said so publicly. I guess it's safe to assume that the following are also going to be on the team next season for various reasons:

deGrom
Alonso
McNeil
Lugo
Cano
Matz
Rosario
Ramos (I don't see us going after Grandal after he turned down our multiyear contract offer last offseason)
Lowrie
Conforto

If anything, I hope Lowrie gtfo. There really is no role for him here. I never liked that signing.

1: Young | Thompson | Vincent
2: Vassell | Mann | Primo | Butler
3: Murphy III | Hunter | Lewis
4: Wembanyama | Bridges | Wood
5: Gobert | Bitadze | Porter
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#665 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:21 pm

2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

deGrom
Alonso
McNeil
Lugo
Cano
Matz
Rosario
Lowrie
Conforto

If anything, I hope Lowrie gtfo. There really is no role for him here. I never liked that signing.

Good luck with that. How is it that Yankees got Lamahieu and Ottavino while we ended us Cano, Diaz and Lowrie?
Free Palestine
Jeffrey
Head Coach
And1: 4,932

Post#666 » by Jeffrey » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
2010 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

deGrom
Alonso
McNeil
Lugo
Cano
Matz
Rosario
Lowrie
Conforto

Good luck with that. How is it that Yankees got Lamahieu and Ottavino while we ended us Cano, Diaz and Lowrie?

Because we're the Mets.

I don't know how this roster is going to work because I do think we can trade some pieces to get a replacement for Wheeler.

C - Ramos
1B - Alonso
2B - Cano
SS - Rosario
3B - McNeil
LF - Cespedes?
CF - Nimmo
RF - Conforto

We might have to trade JD Davis and tack on Lowrie for quality BP arms or backend starter. We are on the brink of the luxury tax however, first-year offenders do not get hit that hard. So this year only we can sign a bunch of 1 year deals and hopefully find a gem.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#667 » by Jeffrey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:08 pm

Why can't we give Wheeler the QO and try to get a 1st round pick back?
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#668 » by blueNorange » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Jeffrey wrote:Why can't we give Wheeler the QO and try to get a 1st round pick back?

wilpons afraid he'll take the money, and they don't want to pay big money.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
reub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,309

Post#669 » by reub » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:49 am

Jeffrey wrote:Why can't we give Wheeler the QO and try to get a 1st round pick back?

I'm sure that this is what we'll do. Anything less would be malpractice.
Jeffrey
Head Coach

Post#670 » by Jeffrey » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:14 pm

It's really effing sad that us fans are counting insurance money to pray that the Wilpons are spending and saying "well you got money from insurance so keep spending!". We are a NY market team with big local TV contracts and we can't move the needle?!
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,786

Post#671 » by Stannis » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm

No Joe Giradi for us
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#672 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:58 pm

Stannis wrote:No Joe Giradi for us

Philly. Typical Mets. Now we have to deal with him in our division for the next 10 years.
Free Palestine
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#673 » by isiah_thomas » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:11 am

Girardi made to much sense for the mets

Hes going to improve the Phillies to a playoff team
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,841

Post#674 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:17 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:

Philly. Typical Mets. Now we have to deal with him in our division for the next 10 years.

Beltran is a billion times more desirable than Girardi to me. If you guys land Carlos it's a huge win in my eyes.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#675 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:52 am

SelbyCobra wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Beltran is a billion times more desirable than Girardi to me. If you guys land Carlos it's a huge win in my eyes.

Are you that down on Girardi?
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,786

Post#676 » by Stannis » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:23 pm

freakin Nats on their way to winning it at all. got damnit
Free Palestine
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#677 » by blueNorange » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:04 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:

typical mets?

typical mets is hiring a big name manager in an era where manager's only job is to keep 25 guys ready, healthy, and happy.

the front office runs everything else, like every mlb team.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#678 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:03 pm

blueNorange wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

typical mets?

typical mets is hiring a big name manager in an era where manager's only job is to keep 25 guys ready, healthy, and happy.

the front office runs everything else, like every mlb team.

Then you haven't been watching Mickey Callaway manage the Mets the last two years OR you know nothing about baseball. Take your pick.
Free Palestine
SelbyCobra
General Manager
And1: 17,841

Post#679 » by SelbyCobra » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:21 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Girardi is solid. Sure, you can win with him. But he's not the kind of guy that grows with the franchise and talent - the kind of guy that has the potential to not only win, but be a relevant figurehead in the organization for a decade plus. He's a manager who would be a net positive, but with a pre-existing shelf life due to an unmalleable style/persinality.

What the more progressive teams are doing is trying to find guys that fit in with the org at present, but also have the potential to grow and change with the times. To me Beltran is that dude. I would have loved for him to stay in the Yankees organization somehow - a brilliant mind and great communicator that is dripping in all kinds of old school/practical baseball knowledge.

And if it's not Beltran, then find the guy in that mold. But me it's not Girardi or Showalter. You better win the WS in the next 2 years or so with those types, or they'll be gone anyway and you're starting over again.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#680 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 pm

SelbyCobra wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
SelbyCobra wrote:

Girardi is solid. Sure, you can win with him. But he's not the kind of guy that grows with the franchise and talent - the kind of guy that has the potential to not only win, but be a relevant figurehead in the organization for a decade plus. He's a manager who would be a net positive, but with a pre-existing shelf life due to an unmalleable style/persinality.

What the more progressive teams are doing is trying to find guys that fit in with the org at present, but also have the potential to grow and change with the times. To me Beltran is that dude. I would have loved for him to stay in the Yankees organization somehow - a brilliant mind and great communicator that is dripping in all kinds of old school/practical baseball knowledge.

And if it's not Beltran, then find the guy in that mold. But me it's not Girardi or Showalter. You better win the WS in the next 2 years or so with those types, or they'll be gone anyway and you're starting over again.

You're obviously not a Mets' fan. If you were, you would know that Jeff Wilpon is making the decisions and that he cannot be trusted - like Cashman - to make the right choice. Look at Callaway. He was a disaster.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks