Image ImageImage Image

OT: What the hell is wrong with the Cubs?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,210

Re: OT: What the hell is wrong with the Cubs? 

Post#101 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:41 am

nomorezorro wrote:yeah i think it’s funny that people have been riding a roller coaster with this team when i think it’s been clear what they are for some time: talented, inconsistent, not a powerhouse but have a plausible shot at making noise in the playoffs if everything happens to click at the same time

the bullpen might prove to be a fatal flaw but beyond that it just seems like it’s genuinely random chance how they end up playing. might as well chill out and watch how it plays out

Wants funny is that winning a World Series ruined the joy of being a Cub fan. When you are born to lose and you then win even though the narrative is that you always find a way to lose it turns fandom upside down. Now there are expectations to win so the identity of the fans are in a certain cognitive dissonance. The team kinda really became a vanilla team now with the same identity of winning that every other team in the league has.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#102 » by transplant » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:19 pm

The Cubs suck like...

Cmon people, the Cubs don’t suck like anybody cause they don’t suck. They simply have fallen short of (reasonable) expectations. 10 of 30 teams make the postseason and the Cubs figure to be one of them. Sure, they’re flawed, but sucks?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,938
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#103 » by MalagaBulls » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am

Welp another 10 days of roller coaster slop with the team getting to 13 above and then sliding again. These games at SD have seen some of the most boneheaded Keystone Cops D and terrible relief pitching during Theo's tenure. The season is slipping away slowly but surely.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach
And1: 2,613

Post#104 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Looks like Maddon is out. They had better not F this search up for his replacement. Otherwise things are going to go downhill fast on the north side.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,610

Post#105 » by jacoby1us » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:19 pm

Honestly what manager out there is better than Maddon? This could be the signal to some serious roster changes.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#106 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:33 pm

jacoby1us wrote:Honestly what manager out there is better than Maddon? This could be the signal to some serious roster changes.

Yeah I don’t know who is going to do better with this lineup. Not that he doesn’t have his flaws but we got backed into a roster that isn’t championship worthy., which is fine because they did build one. Have to retool though. Getting assets for Bryant I think has to be done and a restructure of this team. There is still enough talent but we need a change. That being said one hell of a run for this team overall. Expectations just are way higher than they were the century before.
jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,610

Post#107 » by jacoby1us » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:Honestly what manager out there is better than Maddon? This could be the signal to some serious roster changes.

Yeah I don’t know who is going to do better with this lineup. Not that he doesn’t have his flaws but we got backed into a roster that isn’t championship worthy., which is fine because they did build one. Have to retool though. Getting assets for Bryant I think has to be done and a restructure of this team. There is still enough talent but we need a change. That being said one hell of a run for this team overall. Expectations just are way higher than they were the century before.

Agreed 100%!
I hate to move on from the likes of Bryant and other lovable Cubs but we have to move certain pieces that still have value in order to acquire needed parts to compete long term.

Russell, Bryant, Quintana, Lester, Heyward and possibly Schwarber will more than likely be the parts dangled as assets for our future.

Great job to this team and Maddon for five great years despite this last one falling short with an average bullpen. We literally ran out of gas this year.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#108 » by Michael Jackson » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:46 pm

Realistically still had a punchers chance with this team which is still better than so much cubs baseball we have seen our whole lives. Bryant is not taking a discount and he can net the most return so I just think he is a natural to go... I have nothing against Bryant either just he makes a lot of sense.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#109 » by MAQ » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:47 pm

David Ross/Joe Giradi or the field?

I don't think either would be better than Maddon, but I'd feel better about getting one of those 2 as a replacement than I felt about any option that was available at the time when the Bulls had to replace Thibs and the Bears had to replace Lovie.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,885

Post#110 » by MAQ » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:51 pm

everyone praises theo for being a great speaker...knowing the right things to say.

gonna need him to step up to the mic and admit that while he had a great start constructing this roster, he has failed at his job for 3 seasons in a row. maddon may have his faults, but this roster was not worthy of more than the success it saw. and I have not the slightest idea how you go about fixing the pitching. thank God Yu is turning it around and is putting out production that matches his contract.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,522

Post#111 » by dice » Tue Oct 1, 2019 3:01 am

maddon won world series titles with multiple teams, one of which was the freaking cubs. this is how little baseball managers matter
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#112 » by Jeffster81 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 5:01 am

jacoby1us wrote:Russell, Bryant, Quintana, Lester, Heyward and possibly Schwarber will more than likely be the parts dangled as assets for our future.

Great job to this team and Maddon for five great years despite this last one falling short with an average bullpen. We literally ran out of gas this year.

Russell is likely to be non-tender because the Cubs are not going to get anything from that scumbag. Lester and Schwarber both won't be moved because they have more value to the Cubs as player instead of trade chips. Nobody is trading for Heyward. Somebody will trade for Q but it won't be a lot. Of those names listed only Kris will net the Cubs anything significant but trading KB makes the Cubs worse and Theo clearly is planning on competing next year...so.

If there is a trade candidate, it is Willson Contereas. I would expect Realmuto like package in return (two top 10 prospects and a talented but underachieving third piece. I could live with Caratini/Lucroy as catchers until Amaya is ready.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#113 » by Betta Bulleavit » Tue Oct 1, 2019 1:04 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
jacoby1us wrote:Russell, Bryant, Quintana, Lester, Heyward and possibly Schwarber will more than likely be the parts dangled as assets for our future.

Russell is likely to be non-tender because the Cubs are not going to get anything from that scumbag. Lester and Schwarber both won't be moved because they have more value to the Cubs as player instead of trade chips. Nobody is trading for Heyward. Somebody will trade for Q but it won't be a lot. Of those names listed only Kris will net the Cubs anything significant but trading KB makes the Cubs worse and Theo clearly is planning on competing next year...so.

If there is a trade candidate, it is Willson Contereas. I would expect Realmuto like package in return (two top 10 prospects and a talented but underachieving third piece. I could live with Caratini/Lucroy as catchers until Amaya is ready.

Just a quick point. Russell has very little value. But people should really pump the breaks on calling him a scumbag and whatnot. He’s done his wrong and is doing his work. He doesn’t need to report to us nor are his sins any worse than ours. We should be doing more to elevate each other rather than downing others as a means to deflect from our own personal failures.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,786

Post#114 » by Jcool0 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 10:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#115 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:57 pm

Betta Bulleavit wrote:Just a quick point. Russell has very little value. But people should really pump the breaks on calling him a scumbag and whatnot. He’s done his wrong and is doing his work. He doesn’t need to report to us nor are his sins any worse than ours. We should be doing more to elevate each other rather than downing others as a means to deflect from our own personal failures.

Nope.

Scumbag is scumbag.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#116 » by Michael Jackson » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:19 am

So I stumbled upon something I should have known. I knew the Cubs were once the Orphans and the Colts. I never knew that the originally started as the Chicago White Stockings. WTF. So they were the White Sox first and their most famous media personality was both a Cardinal and White Sox announcer... wuzza? At least they disassociated from Sosa, they will let him be a White Sox player forever lol.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#117 » by gardenofsound » Sat Oct 5, 2019 12:39 am

Michael Jackson wrote:So I stumbled upon something I should have known. I knew the Cubs were once the Orphans and the Colts. I never knew that the originally started as the Chicago White Stockings. WTF. So they were the White Sox first and their most famous media personality was both a Cardinal and White Sox announcer... wuzza? At least they disassociated from Sosa, they will let him be a White Sox player forever lol.

Nope.

White Sox have their faults, but organizationally are the only team that took a stand against steroids, with their star having called for PED testing as early as 1995, who was also the only active player to voluntarily speak with George Mitchell as Mitchell was preparing his report.

I'm glad now, as I was glad twenty years ago, that the Sox were able to get rid of Sosa while he was still a scrawny kid with jheri curls.
Betta Bulleavit
Head Coach

Post#118 » by Betta Bulleavit » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:02 am

Jeffster81 wrote:
Betta Bulleavit wrote:Just a quick point. Russell has very little value. But people should really pump the breaks on calling him a scumbag and whatnot. He’s done his wrong and is doing his work. He doesn’t need to report to us nor are his sins any worse than ours. We should be doing more to elevate each other rather than downing others as a means to deflect from our own personal failures.

Nope.

Scumbag is scumbag.

Be that as it may, we need to start paying more attention to our own personal scum rather than targeting celebs and athletes all the time as if our poop doesn’t stink. Just because people like you and I have never womanized or engaged in abusive relationships doesn’t mean that we don’t have our own stuff to tackle. Alcoholism, dead beat parenting, drug addiction, infidelity, judgement of the mentally ill and countless other acts ruin lives everyday. Instead of trying to be judge, jury and executioner, we need hold ourselves accountable for our own sins first rather than making it all about holding everyone else accountable just because of their social status. If we learned to do that instead of sitting on our lazy judgmental butts waiting for others to do it for us, maybe this world would be a better place. One where actions such as Addy’s would be the exception rather than the norm.....
ChicagoStrong
General Manager
And1: 2,345

Post#119 » by ChicagoStrong » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:15 am

dice wrote:maddon won world series titles with multiple teams, one of which was the freaking cubs. this is how little baseball managers matter

?

He’s only one one pennant, in 2016.

He did take the Rays to the World Series in 2008.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,522

Post#120 » by dice » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:32 am

ChicagoStrong wrote:
dice wrote:maddon won world series titles with multiple teams, one of which was the freaking cubs. this is how little baseball managers matter

?

He’s only one one pennant, in 2016.

He did take the Rays to the World Series in 2008.

the AL and NL pennant winners meet in the world series, but you're right - only 1 world series title. my mistake
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Chicago Bulls