LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Welcome Tobias Harris 

Post#441 » by LloydFree » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:06 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Almost.

Switch that last part about "bad FG attempts and turnovers" to "kick outs to Robert Horry, Sam Cassel, Vernon Maxwell, Kenny Smith and Mario Elie for wide open 3 pointers."

Would he have, though?

Olajuwan held a nearly single digit assist rate through his 20s. He didn't really become a ball mover until he aged out of his prime. The Rockets only chance to catch the Bulls slipping would have been the early 90s when Hakeem was at his peak. Just so happened to be the point of his career where he was a bit of a black hole, though.

As I said before, the Rockets regularly beat the Bulls back then and weren't intimidated by them. I'm not sure that would change in the Finals. But whatever...

The point is that being dogmatic about what "type" or "style" of player you need to win Championship, doesn't make your conclusion right. Teams have won with 2-way wings, Strong 5 man defense, Dominant Big men and stretch 4's surrounded by role players. The point is that you win because you have the best talent, and you play a system that compliments the talent.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#442 » by Kobblehead » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:28 pm

I'm just pointing out that there's an overwhelming amount of precedent that suggests you need a star level scorer on the ball initiating the offense from the perimeter and taking the big shots if you want to win a title.

And that trying to win a title while running your offense through a postscorer is extremely hard and becoming increasingly obsolete in the last 20 years.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,932

Post#443 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Being hard is what makes it better though. What is the point in copying the formula, there is less merit. Warriors made their own formula, now it is time to innovate and find a newer one.
My issue is simply that I think Embiid is not good enough on offense when it matters, not capable of carrying a scoring load against certain defenders/double teams, etc.
Not an issue in any shape or form of him being a big man.
Horrible takes since 2016
oldshoolballer
Starter
And1: 2,575

Post#444 » by oldshoolballer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:37 am

Kobblehead wrote:I'm just pointing out that there's an overwhelming amount of precedent that suggests you need a star level scorer on the ball initiating the offense from the perimeter and taking the big shots if you want to win a title.

And that trying to win a title while running your offense through a postscorer is extremely hard and becoming increasingly obsolete in the last 20 years.

This is something the Bucks as good as they are,are finding out with Giannis Without a reliable perimeter shot he's not the closer with the game on the line They usually went with Middleton or Brogdan Last year for the Sixers you knew it was Butler with the ball in a close game in crunchtime.My guess is Harris has the ball in that situation until/if Simmons ever gets a perimeter shot.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#445 » by LloydFree » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Tobias Harris sweating a bunch of that weight off, getting ready to play SF full-time. Better work on them calves though.

Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,343

Post#446 » by 76ciology » Sun Oct 6, 2019 4:43 am

What are your thoughts that he’s listed at 6’7”?

Personally i dont mind. We got a couple of star caliber guys who can play PF. Actually made the Horford signing more sense. And he almost made the allstar playing PF last season.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#447 » by Wilfried » Sun Oct 6, 2019 7:52 am

oldshoolballer wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I'm just pointing out that there's an overwhelming amount of precedent that suggests you need a star level scorer on the ball initiating the offense from the perimeter and taking the big shots if you want to win a title.

This is something the Bucks as good as they are,are finding out with Giannis Without a reliable perimeter shot he's not the closer with the game on the line They usually went with Middleton or Brogdan Last year for the Sixers you knew it was Butler with the ball in a close game in crunchtime.My guess is Harris has the ball in that situation until/if Simmons ever gets a perimeter shot.

In that situation, we should have 3 weapons in Harris, Josh and Embiid.
And I also feel Trey Burke could have a very big role in these kinds of situations.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#448 » by phillynative » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:31 am

I was hoping he would get his weight down to 225 for playing the wing but he says he has worked on it so maybe he got down in fat pct.

Hes always gonna be a tweener though.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#449 » by Kobblehead » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:09 pm

Tobias is just a big-boned/framed kid. He'll always be heavy on the scale. He looks lean in pics and video. Doesn't appear to be holding any excess body fat.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#450 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Oct 7, 2019 11:59 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Tobias is just a big-boned/framed kid. He'll always be heavy on the scale. He looks lean in pics and video. Doesn't appear to be holding any excess body fat.
His girth can be an asset in certain defensive matchups... he's able to get away with guarding slower centers for stretches which allows Embiid/Horford to assume tougher matchups with guys like Giannis.

I thought Tobias was effective in guarding Gasol for stretches throughout that Toronto series... freed up Embiid to focus on Siakam and Kawhi.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,516

Post#451 » by SixthStreet » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:59 pm

Is Tobias going to improve his FTr? I haven’t seen anything to indicate he’s worked on the parts of his game that will allow for that (or even a quote that shows he understands that). If he’s going to be a star caliber offensive force that’s what needs to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#452 » by Ericb5 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:18 pm

SixthStreet wrote:Is Tobias going to improve his FTr? I haven’t seen anything to indicate he’s worked on the parts of his game that will allow for that (or even a quote that shows he understands that). If he’s going to be a star caliber offensive force that’s what needs to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think his FTr should rise just by Butler being replaced with Richardson. He should have more plays run for him now instead of basically just spot up shooting opportunities.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#453 » by stormi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm

My game 1 overreaction is that I'd take Gordan Hayward over Tobias Harris in 2019/2020. And I hope I'm proven wrong, but Hayward looked good, and really quick and crafty.

I think there's also a switch that needs to be flipped with Tobi. He needs to believe he is great every time he touches the ball. I want to see him take more shots and go at people's throats. We need allstar Tobi to be the force we know this team can be.
MosesFoFoFo
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#454 » by MosesFoFoFo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:47 pm

He's a weird player that's for sure I guess there's something about him I just don't trust in a big situation. He always seems to put up good numbers but he drives me nuts I can't quite put my finger on.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#455 » by snoopdogg88 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Harris bounced around the league as a journeyman for years and didn’t really put up “great numbers” until he got to the Clippers who didn’t have a lot of options and the offense ran through him.

I feel like there’s a misconception that he’s had this long all star caliber proven career.

I mean god bless the guy for busting his ass and working towards a max contract, but we’re the ones who are gonna be screwed.
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#456 » by agiaco » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:59 pm

I mean this dude's been pretty much the resident punching bag lately. For what? He was consistently very good overall since acquiring him last year. He comes out and gets 15 and 15 in the opener.

I know contracts are completely ridiculous in the NBA now and he's not really a near-max player, but he's getting a lot of unwarranted crap. If Tobias can be that #3 guy and establish himself as a 20ppg scorer and make threes the rest is gravy.

This unit is still super new and the team is very clearly Joel and Ben's. He's going to get his touches.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#457 » by stormi » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:21 pm

agiaco wrote:I mean this dude's been pretty much the resident punching bag lately. For what? He was consistently very good overall since acquiring him last year. He comes out and gets 15 and 15 in the opener.

I know contracts are completely ridiculous in the NBA now and he's not really a near-max player, but he's getting a lot of unwarranted crap. If Tobias can be that #3 guy and establish himself as a 20ppg scorer and make threes the rest is gravy.

This unit is still super new and the team is very clearly Joel and Ben's. He's going to get his touches.

Please, that's all i ask.
Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#458 » by Ericb5 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:49 pm

We are so big that we force opposing defenses into bad decisions.

Let’s say that the average opponent has two guards that are typically sized.

They already have to use one of their forwards on Simmons. So they probably put their smallest guy on Richardson, and their shooting guard is left having to deal with Harris.

Harris is a mismatch one on one against all shooting guards. He is very skilled in the post, and will take advantage of little defenders.

Outside of that he spaces the floor for everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#459 » by Kobblehead » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:50 pm

agiaco wrote:I mean this dude's been pretty much the resident punching bag lately. For what?

1. The contract
2. his defensive deficiencies

Tobias will be held to a high standard with his scoring and shooting because of those two things.

If he's scoring 18+ on 38%+ three point shooting, there will be no qualms.
shlo
Junior
And1: 247

Post#460 » by shlo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
agiaco wrote:I mean this dude's been pretty much the resident punching bag lately. For what?

1. The contract
2. his defensive deficiencies

Tobias will be held to a high standard with his scoring and shooting because of those two things.

If he's scoring 18+ on 38%+ three point shooting, there will be no qualms.

It's true. He will be. Contracts matter. I just don't see Tobias as a max guy or even that close. So you have to balance that against his production and he's likely to fall short. I think the max contract for Tobias was a big mistake. I hope I'm wrong.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers