Image ImageImage Image

Bulls vs. Bucks Preseason #1 Game Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,429

Re: Bulls vs. Bucks Preseason #1 Game Thread 

Post#401 » by Repeat 3-peat » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:35 am

Showtime23 wrote:
kodo wrote:I didn't think Coby White was inefficient scoring. He scored 12 points on 10 attempts, which isn't bad at all.
Last year everyone raved about SGA as one of the brightest young PGs coming up, and he averaged 10.8 ppg on 8.7 FGA per game.

I also assume when he settles down he'll shoot better than 60% from the FT line since he was 80% in college.

Both the rooks drawing 8 FTs speaks well to how aggressive they were attacking their defenders and the basket. I doubt people would have guessed White would have drawn more FTs than Zion. If White's talent in this league is to blow by his defenders and draw FTs from the help defenders, he's going to have a solid to great career in the future.

Really quick feet on defense. Rare to see offensive minded PGs use their speed on both ends.

Rooks looked good. Our 2 stars looked good. The rest of the team, yeesh.

SGA is one of the elite defenders and good passer so him scoring is a bonus.
Lonzo which we could have theoretically traded for has mastered his 3pt shot over the summer and looks like he can shoot 38%.
Coby is more of a one trick pony who should generate value from instant scoring and combo. But not a stud or anything.

Neither are the two other players you named. Will agree that SGA has a lot of promise as a player but I don't see a star player.
TeamMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#402 » by TeamMan » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:31 am

Some thoughts...

- The Bulls had 15 steals (Sato with 5) and only 12 TOs for the game. This was a very positive stat for me and is a good sign that the uptempo style is going to work for the team. Sato should start next game.

- They were out rebounded 59-45. And IMO that was the story of the game. The Bucks also had 9 blocks. We are missing two key bigs in the lineup and it showed.

------------------------------
- Zach and OPJ were coasting in this game, didn't really look to take over. Looks like they're ready for the season to start tomorrow.

- Lauri looked solid, but needs more touches in the half-court offense.

- Gafford was a steal in the 2nd round (should start the next game).

- Dunn looks like he's struggling to fit in. His strength is the mid-range game, but he doesn't seem to know it, and he doesn't really fit into the Bulls 3P offense.

- Coby looks like a talented rookie, and that's what he is. At times he looked like he was out of synch, and at other times he looked really dialed in and focused. By midseason he should hit his stride.

- Valentine looked good, but also looks like he needs to lose some weight. He looked a bit out of shape.

- Justin Simon looked good, has really long arms and plays bigger than his height (6-5).

Overall I was happy with what I saw.

But because of the injuries the team can't be judged yet.

Of couse, the injuries are what we have all been worried about.
FecesOfDeath
Head Coach
And1: 1,675

Post#403 » by FecesOfDeath » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:51 am

TeamMan wrote:Some thoughts...

- They were out rebounded 59-45. And IMO that was the story of the game. The Bucks also had 9 blocks. We are missing two key bigs in the lineup and it showed.

To be fair, the Bulls missed 61 shots compared to the Bucks' 46 missed shots, so the discrepancy in defensive rebounding percentage is not too huge, while the Bulls probably edged the Bucks in offensive rebounding percentage -- 15 out of 61 (plus missed FTs minus team rebounds) to 11 out of 46+FTs-TRs.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,400

Post#404 » by Indomitable » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:27 am

FriedRise wrote:Denzel looked good to start, but he was pretty gassed towards the end. His shots were all coming up short - airball even. It'll take some time to get that game endurance back up. I think they should play him 18-20 mpg in the preseason to get that conditioning back up.

Defense: I thought I generally saw more effort with guys at least putting in the effort to stop and cover somebody. We're also obviously poking the ball from behind and playing the passing lanes a lot more to disrupt the offense. Thad, Otto, and Sato (5 steals!) rotated well and covered a lot of spots that would've ended in a wide open shot the last two seasons. These guys are gonna be huge for us defensively. It did get worse in the second half though, especially when Boylen put the no D, 0-veteran lineup of Coby / LaVine / Denzel / Felicio / Gafford for a stretch in the 3rd. That was brutal, and it was when the Bucks blew the game open.

PG - who should start:
- Coby looks more like a scoring guard (10 FGAs, 8 FTs) than a playmaker (1 assist) to me. I think he'd just be a bad fit with the starting lineup especially this early in his career.
- Dunn looked more or less the same as the last couple years. He was more efficient than usual (11pts on 8 FGAs), but he still didn't get to the line once considering he was mostly scoring in the paint.
- Sato shot the ball the worst out of the three, but he did all the other things better. He rebounded (7 boards, led the team), played solid defense (even had 2 more steals than Dunn), and ran the team well. Him and Thad somehow have a positive +/- in a game where we were down 90% of the time. I hope they try him with the starters next game.

Rebounding: the Bucks started The BroRo Bros - two 7-footers - so they have the obvious size and rebounding advantage. When RoLo seals our center and Brook stretches out Lauri, we're essentially relying on our guards and Otto to grab the boards. This is how Sterling Brown was able to get 9 boards. Having Wendell instead of Felicio should help, but he's still pretty undersized at 6'10. We need all the size we can get, which is another reason why starting Sato makes sense.

Wendell would have react better then Felecio.
:banghead:
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,400

Post#405 » by Indomitable » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:30 am

TeamMan wrote:Some thoughts...

- The Bulls had 15 steals (Sato with 5) and only 12 TOs for the game. This was a very positive stat for me and is a good sign that the uptempo style is going to work for the team. Sato should start next game.

- Zach and OPJ were coasting in this game, didn't really look to take over. Looks like they're ready for the season to start tomorrow.

- Lauri looked solid, but needs more touches in the half-court offense.

- Gafford was a steal in the 2nd round (should start the next game).

- Dunn looks like he's struggling to fit in. His strength is the mid-range game, but he doesn't seem to know it, and he doesn't really fit into the Bulls 3P offense.

- Coby looks like a talented rookie, and that's what he is. At times he looked like he was out of synch, and at other times he looked really dialed in and focused. By midseason he should hit his stride.

- Valentine looked good, but also looks like he needs to lose some weight. He looked a bit out of shape.

- Justin Simon looked good, has really long arms and plays bigger than his height (6-5).

Overall I was happy with what I saw.

But because of the injuries the team can't be judged yet.

Of couse, the injuries are what we have all been worried about.

We also played Felecio and he is a joke.
:banghead:
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#406 » by Benedict Miller » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:34 am

Definitely not impressed with this Bulls team. Hopefully Carter shows a big step forward.
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#407 » by Axolotl » Tue Oct 8, 2019 9:45 am

I know, I know, it's the first preseason game, just a step up from the summer league, but these Bulls didn't look like a team that will see the floor in the 19/20 season playoffs.

The Bucks looked like the better coached team, the players more aware of each other and what they are about to do than the Bulls' players. The Bucks had a team, the Bulls had a bunch of guys.

The Bulls had trouble with team defence. Not encouraging, considering the Bucks were without their top guns. Then again, I expect the Bucks to be the #1 team in the east, an their 2nd stringers are pretty strong.

Glad to see Valentine back and lookin as good as he did. For a player with such a long pause from competitive basketball, he did well. He'll be a useful rotation player, which is what I was hoping for.

Coby White did very little in the way of playmaking, which was mildly disappointing. He did drive aggressively to the rim and was drawing fouls, which was nice, but didn't really contribute to team offence. Encouraging defence from him: he wants to defend, which is great to see.

Really liked Gafford's take no prisoners -attitude. He looked way better than a second round pick has any right to be in a preseason game of his rookie season. I think he'll have an impact on the opponent's defences, because he will dunk on you if you give him the narrowest of windows to do so.

Satoransky's shot was off. I would have liked to see more of Satoransky with Markkanen, Porter, LaVine. Some of the plays he made were wasted because the others couldn't read what he was going for. There's a simple play that Satoransky does that I can see working well with Markkanen: Satoransky dribbles between the defender and the shooter, and does a handout/short pass, and the shooter is open, as Satoransky is between the shooter and the defender.

Thad Young was going half throttle. At least I hope he was. But he does play within the flow, and reads the game well. His shot is ugly.

Kris Dunn was himself. Some very nice plays, other times just hard to understand what goes on in his mind. Still looks like he doesn't know what to do off the ball.

If someone expected Markkanen to be a monster, he didn't look like one. He was one of the players to bring the ball up, which I hope will continue. Shot looked smooth, but it always has.

LaVine, not going at full throttle here I assume. Loved when he exploded out of a double team on the sideline for a dunk. That man is so effortlessly fluid in his movement, and flies so high so easily. Some nice passes too, and some horrible defensive plays. Like, your man is not going to go left if you give him a free lane to the hoop. Stay in front of him, not almost by his side.

Mokoka didn't look out of place in a NBA-game.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#408 » by drosereturn » Tue Oct 8, 2019 10:34 am

So just watched full highlights and figured out Gafford had the best game while playing limited minutes.
Its preseason but I can tell he will be special like I saw in Butler. Call me crazy but I prefer him to Coby.
I wouldnt be surprised if he was best player of the game several time during rs but then Bulls will never make playoffs with a rookie 2nd rounder doing the heavy lifting.

Mokoka also reminded me of young Butler but he is probably another Nwaba. Very good for a two way anyway.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#409 » by rtblues » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:38 am

Let's overreact and decide everyone's futures and fates on the 1st preseason game, where the starting C didn't play.
Carry on...
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Post#410 » by Andi Obst » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:47 am

rtblues wrote:Let's overreact and decide everyone's futures and fates on the 1st preseason game, where the starting C didn't play.
Carry on...

I love that game. It's the same every season.
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,429

Post#411 » by aguifs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:58 am

As a team, we don't know how to play winning basketball. We got kicked in the butt by some scrubs.

Forget about the playoffs. Get ready for some ping pong balls...
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,122

Post#412 » by molepharmer » Tue Oct 8, 2019 12:21 pm

Bad defense and poor shooting from a Bulls team. Nothing new. At least Gafford and White look like they can play.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,615

Post#413 » by sco » Tue Oct 8, 2019 12:28 pm

It's preseason - to me it's about 2 things. What am I seeing from guys who matter? Guys stay healthy. Clearly many of our guys aren't used to each other, so many errant passes and missed opportunities, but low TO's is positive. The brothers Lopez are gonna really help the Bucks this season. Brook is such a 3pt force...dude's range is insane. Robin will give them some great bench minutes.

Zach looked great. He was moving well. He was shooting well.

Lauri looked good too. Glad his 3 was falling. His defense looked not horrible.

Otto's shot was off and he wasn't really hustling.

Sato looked like a guy who is playing alongside new guys, in a new system. His speed is very good and his defense was better than I expected.

Thad looked like a vet during pre-season. He went out there made some plays. Didn't want to over-exert himself. He's gotta get his shot to fall, but that should come in time.

Dunn may be a little less bad than last year...thing for him is that he can't consistently get to the rim and I'm not seeing him set guys up.

White looks like a rookie. Game seemed too fast for him (despite his speed). His shot isn't great. He didn't look comfortable in PG role. That said, his speed is evident and his ability to get to the line is undeniable. His defensive play was way better than expected.

While I don't see Gafford as more than a rim protector and dunker who is a poor FT shooter at this stage of his career. What impresses me is that he doesn't try to do more than that, and he is not going to hurt us. Wanted to see more minutes with him against RoLo instead of Bender, to get a better sense of how good he is.

I was happy for Valentine. Clearly he was out of shape, but just seeing him out there burying those early 3's was an encouraging sign. He could be a useful situational guy for 10-12 minutes.

Honestly, our best PG was Arci. He is the only guy who seemed to focus on setting guys up and playing both ways.

...And Felicio just hurts my eyes to watch.
:clap:
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Post#414 » by NWIBullsFan » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:18 pm

Indomitable wrote:We also played Felecio and he is a joke.

Please don't insult jokes, or NBA players who were a joke.

Cris is much, much, much, much, much worse. He was really raw and inexperienced when he started here, but I can't believe how god-awful bad he still is.
ZOMG
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,267

Post#415 » by ZOMG » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:20 pm

rtblues wrote:Let's overreact and decide everyone's futures and fates on the 1st preseason game, where the starting C didn't play.
Carry on...

Yeah, because having WCJ would've made ALL the difference. :lol:
NWIBullsFan
Junior
And1: 247

Post#416 » by NWIBullsFan » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:22 pm

Carry on...

Someone should count the number of definitive, season-long conclusions being drawn in this thread...

... and see how many definitive, season-long conclusions are drawn if we win tomorrow night (over Zion) by 10? It could be fun
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#417 » by SfBull » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:31 pm

Not happy at all,good games by the rookies,solid games by Zach,Porter and Lauri(as expected) ,expected more from Sato,looked like more of a role player,just one preseason game but perhaps we´re going to watch Dunn starting at point by default which is more of the same and certainly not good.Starting Felicio wasn´t a good idea either,Gafford should take his minutes next game. You can´t be happy losing for a depleted and turnover prone Bucks team ,people will keep saying its just a preseason game but I hope to watch a better performance next game.
SfBull
Head Coach
And1: 1,693

Post#418 » by SfBull » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:39 pm

Axolotl wrote:I know, I know, it's the first preseason game, just a step up from the summer league, but these Bulls didn't look like a team that will see the floor in the 19/20 season playoffs.

The Bucks looked like the better coached team, the players more aware of each other and what they are about to do than the Bulls' players. The Bucks had a team, the Bulls had a bunch of guys.

The Bulls had trouble with team defence. Not encouraging, considering the Bucks were without their top guns. Then again, I expect the Bucks to be the #1 team in the east, an their 2nd stringers are pretty strong.

Glad to see Valentine back and lookin as good as he did. For a player with such a long pause from competitive basketball, he did well. He'll be a useful rotation player, which is what I was hoping for.

Coby White did very little in the way of playmaking, which was mildly disappointing. He did drive aggressively to the rim and was drawing fouls, which was nice, but didn't really contribute to team offence. Encouraging defence from him: he wants to defend, which is great to see.

Really liked Gafford's take no prisoners -attitude. He looked way better than a second round pick has any right to be in a preseason game of his rookie season. I think he'll have an impact on the opponent's defences, because he will dunk on you if you give him the narrowest of windows to do so.

Satoransky's shot was off. I would have liked to see more of Satoransky with Markkanen, Porter, LaVine. Some of the plays he made were wasted because the others couldn't read what he was going for. There's a simple play that Satoransky does that I can see working well with Markkanen: Satoransky dribbles between the defender and the shooter, and does a handout/short pass, and the shooter is open, as Satoransky is between the shooter and the defender.

Thad Young was going half throttle. At least I hope he was. But he does play within the flow, and reads the game well. His shot is ugly.

Kris Dunn was himself. Some very nice plays, other times just hard to understand what goes on in his mind. Still looks like he doesn't know what to do off the ball.

If someone expected Markkanen to be a monster, he didn't look like one. He was one of the players to bring the ball up, which I hope will continue. Shot looked smooth, but it always has.

LaVine, not going at full throttle here I assume. Loved when he exploded out of a double team on the sideline for a dunk. That man is so effortlessly fluid in his movement, and flies so high so easily. Some nice passes too, and some horrible defensive plays. Like, your man is not going to go left if you give him a free lane to the hoop. Stay in front of him, not almost by his side.

Mokoka didn't look out of place in a NBA-game.

Good and realistic post.30-35 wins can be expected for the Bulls 19/20 season,not a playoff contender but a better (and sometimes funnier ) team to watch.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,005

Post#419 » by MrSparkle » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:44 pm

Not considering this an over-reaction but rather a consolidation of last year’s thoughts... this team is going to have to make a lot of 3Ps to win games, because there are going to be 2-3 swiss cheese defensive holes per line-up.

Otto and Carter can defend with the best of them, along with Thad and Sato being respectable, but otherwise, the collective defensive IQ and lateral athleticism is going to be lacking. Teams are gonna kill the Bulls off-the-dribble and 3P line. I’ve said it before, but Carter’s size is also going to be an issue when the other team has very big centers.

Just a couple of “season hasn’t started” red flags. The team will need incredible offense to compensate, in order to win games at a high rate. Granted Zach and Lauri do have the potential to become elite scorers, but the one worry is “who creates?” Who’s the Curry or Nash?

Also, why are they bothering with Dunn starting? All i watched are highlights and even in a few minutes of reel I couldn’t stand his style of basketball.
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#420 » by Red8911 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:51 pm

ZOMG wrote:
Carry on...

Yeah, because having WCJ would've made ALL the difference. :lol:
Gafford will eventually take WCJ spot, you read it here first.

Return to Chicago Bulls