The Washington Nationals Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Re: The Washington Nationals Thread 

Post#421 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Oct 2, 2019 12:29 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:Juan Soto....that is all.

:D

https://youtu.be/e7SA1ao1EM0

Soto was big, but that inning was full of big “little” moments, :P
If you know what I mean...if not watch the video. And enjoy what a few baseball analysts were calling an “exorcism”.

The nat’s “Demon Killing” rally...followed by the relief/celebration.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#422 » by queridiculo » Wed Oct 2, 2019 2:21 pm

I feel about baseball the same way most people in the US feel about "soccer", I can't typically bothered, but there's something about the long drawn out drama of a baseball game in post season play that's incredibly riveting.

What a game, big bad Dodgers up next, who's confident?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#423 » by Kanyewest » Wed Oct 2, 2019 4:14 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:Juan Soto....that is all.

:D

If you know what I mean...if not watch the video. And enjoy what a few baseball analysts were calling an “exorcism”.

- Yup. After Ryan Zimmerman was in the batting circle during Robles at bat, Taylor comes up- who has been replaced by Robles. He gets hit by a pitch (which was up for debate as a foul ball but the not enough evidence to overturn)
- After Trea Turner gets out, Zimmerman the original franchise player, actually gets his chance to bat and gets a broken bat loop single. He went to UVA who just want the NCAA title so maybe he was bound to get lucky.
- Rendon, the current franchise player, who hadn't recorded a hit and was batting under .200 in his last few postseasons, battled in the count and as he forced a walk, celebrated a bit which showed some faith in the next guy in the order.
- Juan Soto, the 20 year old phenom, and probably the next franchise Nats player, hits a ball that is probably going to be a single and takes a weird bounce. Brewers outfielder Grisham may have been distracted by the loud crowd and badly misplayed it. Soto perhaps from being so pumped up has poor base-running and gets picked off (although some have argued he got purposefully picked off for the last run to score)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#424 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:50 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Kanyewest wrote: :D

- Yup. After Ryan Zimmerman was in the batting circle during Robles at bat, Taylor comes up- who has been replaced by Robles. He gets hit by a pitch (which was up for debate as a foul ball but the not enough evidence to overturn)
- After Trea Turner gets out, Zimmerman the original franchise player, actually gets his chance to bat and gets a broken bat loop single. He went to UVA who just want the NCAA title so maybe he was bound to get lucky.
- Rendon, the current franchise player, who hadn't recorded a hit and was batting under .200 in his last few postseasons, battled in the count and as he forced a walk, celebrated a bit which showed some faith in the next guy in the order.
- Juan Soto, the 20 year old phenom, and probably the next franchise Nats player, hits a ball that is probably going to be a single and takes a weird bounce. Brewers outfielder Grisham may have been distracted by the loud crowd and badly misplayed it. Soto perhaps from being so pumped up has poor base-running and gets picked off (although some have argued he got purposefully picked off for the last run to score)

That game was as fun to watch as any I can remember, and I'm not even a Nats fan. I feel bad for the RFer who let Soto's hit get past him - I was anticipating a huge collision at home plate for the tying run - but the baseball gods had the ball take a bad hop. I figured Soto would get a hit, because Hader couldn't control anything but his fastball, and Soto's a dead fastball hitter =- and Hader had to groove one with the bases loaded. Just amazing for a 20 year old to have done what he's done. The last fly ball out... too bad it didn't go just a little farther so the game could have ended with a spectacular catch against the dead CF wall. The post-game festivities were a blast to watch. Btw, I do think the Dodgers will win in 5.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#425 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:20 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

After pitching in relief 2 days ago...
Hoping Mad Max can do the same Sunday.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#426 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Oct 6, 2019 9:00 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Robles out with a hamstring strain, Taylor gets the start.

Max out Sanchez to start. He’s played well this year. Go NATS!

~ Confucius about 500 BC
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#427 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Oct 7, 2019 4:23 am

Got ourselves bolloxed tonight. One really really bad inning
In Rizzo we trust
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#428 » by 80sballboy » Mon Oct 7, 2019 3:41 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Got ourselves bolloxed tonight. One really really bad inning

That's an understatement. The Nats tried to be creative due to their **** bullpen and blew up in their face with Corbin. Bottom line is Dodgers are a better team, but it would be nice if the old Scherzer returned tonight to send it back to LA. They also need to hit better than .185 (postseason).
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#429 » by youngWizzy » Mon Oct 7, 2019 3:53 pm

I think Yan Gomes is to blame significantly. His pitch calling is absolutely horrible. Corbin was hitting his spots and got the Dodgers to two strikes multiple times, but they absolutely knew what was coming afterwards and waited for Corbin to throw them sliders down in the zone and build the count up. Simply way too predictable pitch-calling from Gomes. I feel confident with Suzuki but absolutely not Gomes.
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#430 » by 80sballboy » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:18 am

Well, Scherzer was brilliant tonight from innings 2-7. Man, he always seems to give up a home run in the first but after that, he was awesome. Rendon's bat finally woke up and Zim with maybe his last bomb at Nats Park. Holy sh-t this team is resilient. At least they have a shot with Stras on Wednesday.
youngWizzy
Rookie

Post#431 » by youngWizzy » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:45 am

80sballboy wrote:Well, Scherzer was brilliant tonight from innings 2-7. Man, he always seems to give up a home run in the first but after that, he was awesome. Rendon's bat finally woke up and Zim with maybe his last bomb at Nats Park. Holy sh-t this team is resilient. At least they have a shot with Stras on Wednesday.

Suzuki needs to play catcher not Gomes on Wednesday. Relief pitching is going to be interesting as well. I would think they might bring in Sanchez for relief pitching if Stras struggles after 5/6 innings. I think this is Zimm's last go around and watching him has been a pleasure. Hot bats early and a strong outing from Stras is how they win.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#432 » by 80sballboy » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:25 pm

youngWizzy wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Well, Scherzer was brilliant tonight from innings 2-7. Man, he always seems to give up a home run in the first but after that, he was awesome. Rendon's bat finally woke up and Zim with maybe his last bomb at Nats Park. Holy sh-t this team is resilient. At least they have a shot with Stras on Wednesday.

Suzuki needs to play catcher not Gomes on Wednesday. Relief pitching is going to be interesting as well. I would think they might bring in Sanchez for relief pitching if Stras struggles after 5/6 innings. I think this is Zimm's last go around and watching him has been a pleasure. Hot bats early and a strong outing from Stras is how they win.

I don't think it matters. Suzuki/Gomes are a combined 0-for-15 or 16 in the playoffs. Gomes is a better defensive catcher. If Stras struggles after 5 or 6 innings, we're in trouble. He needs to give up less than 2 runs in 6+, because we're not likely to score a lot off of Buehler. The batters need to be more patient, to not only try and draw walks but push the pitch count up.

I'm not a Zim fan of his bat but I think they stick with him at first over Howie and leave Kendrick at 2B. They can't afford Howie to fumble the ball at first. Adams would have been the starter about a month ago but he sucked in the second half.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#433 » by 80sballboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:26 am

Well, it's early and Zim has a hit. That's a positive. Stras has a walk. So there's that.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#434 » by prime1time » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 am

Wow
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#435 » by BearlyBallin » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 am

Do it Doolittle!!!

~ Confucius about 500 BC
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#436 » by 80sballboy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:38 am

Holy ****!!!
youngWizzy
Rookie

Post#437 » by youngWizzy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:44 am

What a GAME...
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#438 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:42 am

It’s 2am and I’m nowhere near sleep.

Wooooot. Just frickin wooot!!!!
In Rizzo we trust
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#439 » by dobrojim » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Amazing.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#440 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Went to sleep down by 3 and they come back to win. Could the Nats do it?

Return to Washington Wizards