Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I]

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who are your top 3 bets for ROTY if Zion sits out season? (RESET)

Brandon Clarke
7%
PJ Washington
3%
Kendrick Nunn
17%
Ja Morant
40%
Darius Garland
1%
Coby White
3%
Rui Hachimura
3%
RJ Barrett
10%
De’Andre Hunter
2%
Tyler Herro
15%

Total votes: 405

bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,859

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#281 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:01 pm

Everything is relative in this discussion - Thybulle is simply not going to get the minutes that the guys in the thread's poll are going to get. The Sixers are too stacked.

However, if he can give the Sixers 20-25 minutes of the kind of 3-and-D that he is showing in the early going, he plugs a MASSIVE hole in their substitution rotation. Dude is a freaking defensive savant.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,663

Post#282 » by Fat » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:40 pm

Miami Heat Baf

Fultz | NAW
Mitchell | Grimes
Trent Jr | DFS
Al Horford | Covington
Adams | Achiuwa
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#283 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 9, 2019 4:58 pm

kinggnik87 wrote:
Catchall wrote:MPJ is looking to shoot. He'll probably start the year off the bench for Denver. He looks soft and a bit limited on defense, just a bit stiff and vertical as people have been saying. Will be interested to see how he develops.

A bit too stiff to even comes in as bench tbh, he is definitely behind Barton, Craig at the SF position. Maybe a few more pre-season games would help him become less stiff.

Nope! that's just how he moves. Always has been. He'll have to be a "get to my spot" scorer in the league. Use his size and full extension to get his looks off.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#284 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:00 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:Everything is relative in this discussion - Thybulle is simply not going to get the minutes that the guys in the thread's poll are going to get. The Sixers are too stacked.

However, if he can give the Sixers 20-25 minutes of the kind of 3-and-D that he is showing in the early going, he plugs a MASSIVE hole in their substitution rotation. Dude is a freaking defensive savant.

Haven't seen his jumper but i know its something he's working on. If that comes through no reason he can't get RoCo minutes or take time from Richardson.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Memgrizz0
Sophomore
And1: 251

Post#285 » by Memgrizz0 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:01 pm

pootbrah wrote:
Memgrizz0 wrote:Ja Morant in 2 games: 39 minutes, 17 assists, 4 turnovers

Real talk. Where do i reach for him in fantasy? 40s? 50s? 60s?

I don’t play fantasy but I anticipate at least 15/8/4 from him but could also easily see 19/10/5
Spacely
Analyst
And1: 6,155

Post#286 » by Spacely » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:36 pm

Spacely wrote:Tyler Herro is being massively underrated

Tried to tell y’all
Archx
General Manager
And1: 7,767

Post#287 » by Archx » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:39 pm

Last years rookie class was really strong with one clear winner from the start, but this year, it feels like at least 5-6 players will be in the discussion for a ROY. Will be really interesting to see how they will develop and play.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,636

Post#288 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:41 pm

Marcus wrote:
bebopdeluxe wrote:Everything is relative in this discussion - Thybulle is simply not going to get the minutes that the guys in the thread's poll are going to get. The Sixers are too stacked.

Haven't seen his jumper but i know its something he's working on. If that comes through no reason he can't get RoCo minutes or take time from Richardson.

I don't think he'll take minutes from Richardson, but they will definitely find 25mpg for him to play, I expect them to try and save Embiid & Horford so you'll see some smaller lineups where neither of them are in and it's Scott at the small ball 5 with Richardson, Thybulle, Harris and Simmons on the floor. They have a lot more flexibility this year than last year in terms of the types of lineups they can run.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#289 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:48 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I don't think he'll take minutes from Richardson, but they will definitely find 25mpg for him to play, I expect them to try and save Embiid & Horford so you'll see some smaller lineups where neither of them are in and it's Scott at the small ball 5 with Richardson, Thybulle, Harris and Simmons on the floor. They have a lot more flexibility this year than last year in terms of the types of lineups they can run.

that's even better. having multiple reliable lineups you can go to without having to burn up you rmain guys is good business.
Watch More Basketball

bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,859

Post#290 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Oct 9, 2019 5:56 pm

Marcus wrote:

Jumper looks fine. 2-for-4 from 3 last night, and one of his misses went down-and-out. Defenses will have to respect it - especially bench rotations. Having him out there with Simmons and Richardson on the perimeter is almost unfair. They credited him with 3 steals and 2 blocks but he caused way more havoc than that. And it's not just that he deflects ball and blocks shots - he does it in a way to GET THE BALL...and then do something with it.

I know that Brand caught a little flak for possibly telegraphing our interest in Thybulle before the draft - which cost us FUTURE FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER Carsen Edwards - but that doesn't matter. We had the draft capital to make the move and we got the guy we wanted. Very happy to have him.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,227

Post#291 » by BadWolf » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:08 pm

Spacely wrote:

Tried to tell y’all

With all the love he's getting he can be only overrated.
Spacely
Analyst

Post#292 » by Spacely » Wed Oct 9, 2019 6:14 pm

BadWolf wrote:
Spacely wrote:

Tried to tell y’all

He’s not even in the poll my guy and nobody was talking about him in this thread until i brought him up
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#293 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:34 pm

Spacely wrote:
BadWolf wrote:
Spacely wrote:
Tried to tell y’all

He’s not even in the poll my guy and nobody was talking about him in this thread until i brought him up

what? I have been talking about Drip for like a year on here. :-?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#294 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:35 pm

Considering this is how the entire fan base felt on draft night, this kid has shown a really good feel for the game.

bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,314

Post#295 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:45 pm

Spacely wrote:
BadWolf wrote:
Spacely wrote:
Tried to tell y’all

Correct me if I'm wrong, I belive the 10 options in the poll are just the top 10 picks. Also you don't have to go to far back to see people praising the kid on here. He was the talk of the rookies during SL and plenty of people have been high on him before he even played a game at UK.
MUpacersSIC
Sixth Man
And1: 618

Post#296 » by MUpacersSIC » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:46 pm

FatboyRealPetty wrote:

Hahaha That push off at 53 sec mark was ridiculous. Definitely had a right to complain.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#297 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:53 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

Considering this is how the entire fan base felt on draft night, this kid has shown a really good feel for the game.

Baz is nice, people don't know because he decided to sit out a year, but he's got some stupid good shot creation on him, can run the court, good length, gotta handle...I like him...he can eventually turn into a solid rotation guy at the least, biggest problem for him is what's in between his ears and motor.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#298 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:55 pm

RJ and Ja might make a strong push for ROY just because of sheer volume, but this is Zion's or Simmons' to lose
Spacely
Analyst

Post#299 » by Spacely » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Spacely wrote:
BadWolf wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I belive the 10 options in the poll are just the top 10 picks. Also you don't have to go to far back to see people praising the kid on here. He was the talk of the rookies during SL and plenty of people have been high on him before he even played a game at UK.

Oh I was reading in this thread and didn’t see any of herro being discussed guess I must have missed it.

Most people I know don’t know much about him and have doubted him so
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,806

Post#300 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Oct 9, 2019 9:38 pm

Wow, Bazely looks way more polished than I thought he would. If he can stay engaged, he can be a really nice player.

Return to The General Board