ImageImageImage

2019 season speculation including trade ideas

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Will Booker make the all-star team this year?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 77

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Re: 2019 season speculation: Just a couple more weeks til season opener OMG!! 

Post#421 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 10:54 pm

Banana Milk wrote:Reading through the player updates on Rotoworld and the update on Tyler Johnson’s game mentions that the Suns have been trying to trade him but not getting any interest... was this common knowledge? I know he has a big fat expiring
https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball/nba/player-news/9281221‪‬

Shouldn't be surprised. I think we're happy to keep him around for the season because he adds solid depth, experience, competency at either guard positions and his expiring contract is helpful for our cap situation but the goal is to move him for something that will help the team.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,364

Post#422 » by SuperSunsFan » Wed Oct 9, 2019 11:08 pm

Please keep Okobo, I saw a young player last night who was showing signs that he has finally 'got it' and on the verge of a dramatic breakthrough, he could develop into a barbosa or jason terry type player, a great 6th man assassin off the bench for us for many years going forward.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#423 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 am

Charlotte is awful. Look at all the players not playing for Miami and then look at the offensive #s, FG%, 3pt%, assists from Rozier, etc from the Hornets.

And of course the score. Geez.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401163139
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#424 » by matt131 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:24 am

National analysts got it right - Jazz sure looking like the early favorites in the West.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#425 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:08 am

matt131 wrote:National analysts got it right - Jazz sure looking like the early favorites in the West.

You're judging them on one preseason game ?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#426 » by Young gun 6 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:28 am

Bender looking good out there.
Amazing what being on a good team can do for some players.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#427 » by Qwigglez » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:38 am

Young gun 6 wrote:Bender looking good out there.

Len is also looking good. Either we are horrible at developing players, or we aren’t putting them in a position to succeed.
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#428 » by bwoolf2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:08 am

Qwigglez wrote:

Len is also looking good. Either we are horrible at developing players, or we aren’t putting them in a position to succeed.

or the more likely explanation, its preseason...
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#429 » by Qwigglez » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:15 am

bwoolf2 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Len looked good last year. Bender has never looked good for us even in Summer League. Him looking good in preseason is better than him typically looking bad regardless of what the competition is.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#430 » by matt131 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
matt131 wrote:National analysts got it right - Jazz sure looking like the early favorites in the West.

You're judging them on one preseason game ?
Lol just making a joke, hence the green font. Obviously a preseason game without Ingles or Gobert means nothing.
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#431 » by Mystical Apples » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 am

bwgood77 wrote:Charlotte is awful. Look at all the players not playing for Miami and then look at the offensive #s, FG%, 3pt%, assists from Rozier, etc from the Hornets.

And of course the score. Geez.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401163139

It happens when a mediocre team loses their 3 best offensive players. I’d say Charlotte needs to rely upon defense but they’ll suck there, too.
geometry
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#432 » by Qwigglez » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:28 am

But is this Charlotte team the worst in their franchise history?
Mystical Apples
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,349

Post#433 » by Mystical Apples » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:38 am

Qwigglez wrote:But is this Charlotte team the worst in their franchise history?

The 2012 Bobcats are untouchable (probably).

Maybe if Rozier gets hurt and they stick Malik Monk at pg. Even then I’d figure at least 13 wins.
geometry
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#434 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:41 am

bwoolf2 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:

Neither are great, but Len developed quite a bit last year, and Bender probably will. We had awful coaching with Watson, and of course 3-4 coaches for guys which obviously didn't help development, but one big problem is just giving up on guys too quickly. Len would have been a solid backup C for years, and for cheap and Bender would have been dirt cheap with much higher potential upside than Kaminsky and Diallo.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,800

Post#435 » by Saberestar » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:43 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Len is also looking good. Either we are horrible at developing players, or we aren’t putting them in a position to succeed.

Neither are great, but Len developed quite a bit last year, and Bender probably will. We had awful coaching with Watson, and of course 3-4 coaches for guys which obviously didn't help development, but one big problem is just giving up on guys too quickly. Len would have been a solid backup C for years, and for cheap and Bender would have been dirt cheap with much higher potential upside than Kaminsky and Diallo.

I prefer Baynes to Len as our backup C.

I think Baynes is an smarter basketball player on both ends of the court and that is a big difference between them. Len plays like a robot, he doesn't have any feel for the game. He commits too many bad decisions on the court, small things that limits his time on the court because he truly makes your team a bit worse.

That is why he just plays backup minutes... 20 minutes per game in the last three seasons. The Hawks were a terrible team (but better than the Suns) and didn't give him more minutes than that, because he doesn't play winning basketball IMO. He has improved his shooting but he is worse at rebounding.

Baynes can give us better positioning on defense, he is a high character guy and can spread the floor for us.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#436 » by King4Day » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Mystical Apples wrote:

The 2012 Bobcats are untouchable (probably).

Maybe if Rozier gets hurt and they stick Malik Monk at pg. Even then I’d figure at least 13 wins.

I believe they will have the worst record in league history this year.
I live in the area and there is absolutely no buzz (no pun intended) about the team. I don't see signs to get the fans interested. There's just nothing to look forward to for them. Everyone knows they will be terrible. They have nothing to be excited about outside of the hopeful growth of Bridges and Washington, and maybe Monk.

Rozier will help them snag the occasional win, but I def don't expect them to get more than 20 wins, and I'd be surprised if they got more than 15.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#437 » by bwoolf2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:42 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Len is also looking good. Either we are horrible at developing players, or we aren’t putting them in a position to succeed.

Ever since we had a strong disagreement of the release of Davon Reed and his NBA potential I struggle with your player assessment, but like with Reed only time will tell. I do agree our coaching, gm, player development have sucked for a decade but so has our front offices ability to draft players.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#438 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:12 pm

bwoolf2 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:

Ever since we had a strong disagreement of the release of Davon Reed and his NBA potential I struggle with your player assessment, but like with Reed only time will tell. I do agree our coaching, gm, player development have sucked for a decade but so has our front offices ability to draft players.

Well, Reed got picked up by the Heat (a good organization) and just had 14 pts (4-5 from 3) and 9 boards last night. Sure it's preseason, but he was a cheap guy that shouldn't have been given up on so early...these guys take up less than 1% of the cap. He certainly wasn't worth cutting at the time over Canaan, who had already pretty much shown what he could do (or not do).

I'm not saying Bender will turn into anything, but giving up on a 21 year old who would have been cheap to pay a 26 year old Kaminsky $5 million a year is not a wise decision, because we know what Kaminsky is, and he sucks at D. He may add more this year than Bender would have but Bender probably has a better chance of adding more long term, even though he also could be gone. Kaminsky will likely be gone either way.

But yeah, we definitely differ on player assessment, and teams like the Pacers, Heat and Bucks pick up the cheap guys we let go.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,730

Post#439 » by darmani » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:15 pm

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#440 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:

If I'm just looking at this year, I take either of Kaminsky or Diallo over Bender, at least for this team. Kaminsky was the first player off the bench against Minny, which shows, I think, how much we value maintaining a high level of offense throughout the game. We'll see if Dragan maintains a high 3FG%, but he's still a couple years away from being an on-ball option on offense. He can be useful in certain contexts, but if he's not ready and steady with his shooting, it'll be hard to give him minutes when it matters.

.... That said, MIL has him on a 2 year deal at the minimum. Pretty solid. I'll be rooting for him.

.......... This just reflects the problem with NotMy draft strategy, which was to draft whatever player they projected would have the best overall career. He ended up drafting players who were *years* away from being ready for professional basketball.

Bender is probably worth that minimum deal. But how would I feel about paying him $7 million for the right to match any contract offers he would have received in 2020, with a $12(ish?) million cap hold? Bad. I understand that we could have re-signed him for Diallo's deal, but it's the unsteadiness and unpredictability we don't need. All our guys can play. Can Bender? Maybe! Don't really care much any more. We're free!

Return to Phoenix Suns