Celtics exposed?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Re: Celtics exposed? 

Post#221 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Celtics will be a good, fun team to watch.

But ESPN analysts were acting like they were contenders in the East and a top 3 seed. I don't see that at all.

They basically have no front court depth and are heavily relying on Enes Kanter. And Kemba is no Kyrie.

I see them as a 6-8 seed and first round out. But Tatum and Brown will take a step forward.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,243

Post#222 » by itrsteve » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:39 pm

KFL wrote:wow one preseason game and already the bashing. That must be a record

It was drafted up days before the game was even played.

MagicBagley18 wrote:I agree with you and I said as much on the Celtics sub....all he’s saying is it may have been different if he knew that, not that it would have made him come back- perhaps he considers it more.

It's pretty much moot as it was Al's outgoing money that really paved the way for Kemba. It's pretty cool to hear him say that though, definitely validates everything that many of us assumed.

Either way, I'd rather address the capabilities needed in Boston to be filled in his absence now than pay him $27m in the 21/22 & 22/23 seasons when he's 36/37. That's the premium Philly is paying to win now and they have a legit shot at it, can't fault either side.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#223 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:13 pm

RHODEY wrote:Funny how the BSPN analysts couldn't see this coming .No interior defense... You lose Morris, Horford, and Baynes, replace that with Kanter and what did they expect?Instead of talking about the Celts being a top 4 Eastern team and whether Kemba could replace Kyrie , they needed to be asking if they can even make the playoffs as a "donut" team.

Very deep analytical dive into our situation and upcoming season.

10/10, please don't stop there.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#224 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 pm

VDT wrote:Noone expects the Celtics to do much this year so they cant really be exposed.

However Ainge should take some blame for the Celtics current situation. The Bucks, the Lakers and the Sixers started their rebuild at the same time as the Celtics and they are comfortably better right now despite the fact that the Celtics started with much more assets. The Nets started even later and with no picks and they are better. Even the Magic that have been run terribly in the past years might have a better future. Even the Raptors that were going nowhere managed to build a contender.

Now some of it is bad luck, if Durant was more competitive and signed with the Celtics things would be different. Bu some of it is also on Ainge, who seems quite conservative in his moves and i am not talking about the trades only. He chose Olynyk instead of Giannis. He decided not to tank even though he didn't know how high the Nets picks would be and even though an IT led team of roleplayers had no future.

The team he constructed last year had no chemistry and part of the blame is on Ainge.

And the larger picture is that in all these years of the rebuild the Celtics never came particularly close to acquiring a franchise player, something that the Bucks, the Sixers and the Lakers have already done. Meanwhile Ainge never tried to risk anything (tank or a trade) to get one.

Wut? The Bucks and the Lakers? First the Bucks were a lottery team when we were a top seeded team in the East. Second, Lakers "rebuild" is signing James, who wanted to be there and everybody knew that and then throwing the kitchen sink at the Pels to get Davis and during that time Davis and his agent making sure nobody bids for him. That's a fantastic rebuild. I'm sure this was all planned by the Lakers and not LBJ and Rich Paul.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#225 » by LloydFree » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:30 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
VDT wrote:Noone expects the Celtics to do much this year so they cant really be exposed.

However Ainge should take some blame for the Celtics current situation. The Bucks, the Lakers and the Sixers started their rebuild at the same time as the Celtics and they are comfortably better right now despite the fact that the Celtics started with much more assets. The Nets started even later and with no picks and they are better. Even the Magic that have been run terribly in the past years might have a better future. Even the Raptors that were going nowhere managed to build a contender.

Now some of it is bad luck, if Durant was more competitive and signed with the Celtics things would be different. Bu some of it is also on Ainge, who seems quite conservative in his moves and i am not talking about the trades only. He chose Olynyk instead of Giannis. He decided not to tank even though he didn't know how high the Nets picks would be and even though an IT led team of roleplayers had no future.

The team he constructed last year had no chemistry and part of the blame is on Ainge.

And the larger picture is that in all these years of the rebuild the Celtics never came particularly close to acquiring a franchise player, something that the Bucks, the Sixers and the Lakers have already done. Meanwhile Ainge never tried to risk anything (tank or a trade) to get one.

Wut? The Bucks and the Lakers? First the Bucks were a lottery team when we were a top seeded team in the East. Second, Lakers "rebuild" is signing James, who wanted to be there and everybody knew that and then throwing the kitchen sink at the Pels to get Davis and during that time Davis and his agent making sure nobody bids for him. That's a fantastic rebuild. I'm sure this was all planned by the Lakers and not LBJ and Rich Paul.

B.S.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014_ratings.html

All of this started in the tank year of 2013-14 (the Wiggins draft). The Bucks, 76ers, Lakers, Magic and Celtics were all starting rebuilds at the same time. And 5 years later the Celtics are behind all but the Magic. And even that is debatable right now.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,870

Post#226 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 pm

LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

B.S.

All of this started in the tank year of 2013-14 (the Wiggins draft). The Bucks, 76ers, Lakers, Magic and Celtics were all starting rebuilds at the same time. And 5 years later the Celtics are behind all but the Magic. And even that is debatable right now.

Bucks, 76ers, Lakers, Magic and Celtics

Which of these teams have been to 2 Conference Finals since 2013-2014?
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Re: Celtics interior defense exposed? 

Post#227 » by Tiny ball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:53 pm

BoogieTime wrote:They literally have the worst set of bigs in the league

That has to be on Ainge
Tell that to Tacko Falls face.:-)
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#228 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 pm

LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

B.S.

You're grasping at straws, we were in the lottery ourselves for 1 season, lad. And we have been the most successful out of the above mentioned teams so far. So I don't understand the point? Why do we have to be better than all those teams for such a long period of time, 5 years is a lot? Your argument is awful and you're assuming we will be bad, you don't know that cause the season hasn't started, that's your opinion.
Good assessment:

LloydFree
RealGM

Post#229 » by LloydFree » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

B.S.

You're grasping at straws, we were in the lottery ourselves for 1 season, lad. And we have been the most successful out of the above mentioned teams so far. So I don't understand the point? Why do we have to be better than all those teams for such a long period of time, 5 years is a lot? Your argument is awful and you're assuming we will be bad, you don't know that cause the season hasn't started, that's your opinion.

The Celtics have been better because they jumped out and signed Al Horford as soon as they got capspace. Don't blame the other teams for choosing the path of rebuilding through complete teardowns, instead of trying to do both at the same time and accomplishing nothing.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#230 » by VDT » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:16 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

B.S.

I think the argument is pretty clear even though you choose not to address it. Teams rebuild in order to build a contender. Having a middling team like Detroit has been the last years is probably the easiest thing in the NBA. All these teams started their rebuild together. The Celtics, although started with many more assets, were never able to build a contender and are now worse than all the other teams who are actually considered contenders.

If you feel the Celtics path was better because they made the playoffs with some IT led teams that were going nowhere you are entitled of course your opinion, but i think most people, including the Celtics fans, would disagree.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#231 » by LloydFree » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

B.S.

LOL. I'm pretty sure the rings they gave out for losing in ECF will be valuable on eBay some day.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#232 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:23 pm

LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
LloydFree wrote:B.S.

The Celtics have been better because they jumped out and signed Al Horford as soon as they got capspace. Don't blame the other teams for choosing the path of rebuilding through complete teardowns, instead of trying to do both at the same time and accomplishing nothing.

Also wrong, the year before they signed Al they were in the playoffs with Sully/KO at the 5.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#233 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Celtics will be a good, fun team to watch.

But ESPN analysts were acting like they were contenders in the East and a top 3 seed. I don't see that at all.

They basically have no front court depth and are heavily relying on Enes Kanter. And Kemba is no Kyrie.

I see them as a 6-8 seed and first round out. But Tatum and Brown will take a step forward.

Kinda where im at with them at the moment
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#234 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:55 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

LOL. I'm pretty sure the rings they gave out for losing in ECF will be valuable on eBay some day.

We've still been the most successful out of these teams. None of them(or us) have won a title. You're surprisingly silly and bad at arguing.
Good assessment:

FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#235 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:58 pm

VDT wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

I think the argument is pretty clear even though you choose not to address it. Teams rebuild in order to build a contender. Having a middling team like Detroit has been the last years is probably the easiest thing in the NBA. All these teams started their rebuild together. The Celtics, although started with many more assets, were never able to build a contender and are now worse than all the other teams who are actually considered contenders.

If you feel the Celtics path was better because they made the playoffs with some IT led teams that were going nowhere you are entitled of course your opinion, but i think most people, including the Celtics fans, would disagree.

Universally, success in the NBA is merited by winning. Only 1 team wins the title in the NBA. We've won more than all of these teams(games, playoff series, etc). As I wrote you're all assuming we will be bad, nothing is set in stone tho and the season hasn't even started. I did address it pretty well, we haven't won a title, but neither have any of above mentioned teams, I think you're using double standards here.
Good assessment:

FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#236 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Also wrong, the year before they signed Al they were in the playoffs with Sully/KO at the 5.

And yea, the first half a season IT was on the team we didn't have Horford. He signed after that. Where did I blame any team? :lol: I said we have been more successful and your post Lloyd screams insecurity.
Good assessment:

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#237 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:00 pm

itrsteve wrote:
KFL wrote:wow one preseason game and already the bashing. That must be a record

It was drafted up days before the game was even played.

MagicBagley18 wrote:I agree with you and I said as much on the Celtics sub....all he’s saying is it may have been different if he knew that, not that it would have made him come back- perhaps he considers it more.

It's pretty much moot as it was Al's outgoing money that really paved the way for Kemba. It's pretty cool to hear him say that though, definitely validates everything that many of us assumed.

Either way, I'd rather address the capabilities needed in Boston to be filled in his absence now than pay him $27m in the 21/22 & 22/23 seasons when he's 36/37. That's the premium Philly is paying to win now and they have a legit shot at it, can't fault either side.

i think however boston was open to a s&T with kyrie to brooklyn but brooklyn wanted more than boston was willing to give, it was explained that the celtics were working on multiple s&t's to allow them to maneuver flexibility to bring horford back.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#238 » by VDT » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:22 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
VDT wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Universally, success in the NBA is merited by winning. Only 1 team wins the title in the NBA. We've won more than all of these teams(games, playoff series, etc). As I wrote you're all assuming we will be bad, nothing is set in stone tho and the season hasn't even started. I did address it pretty well, we haven't won a title, but neither have any of above mentioned teams, I think you're using double standards here.

I dont assume you will be bad. I assume you will not be a contender and you will not be for the foreseeable future, mainly because you dont have a true franchise player. Winning some regular season games or a couple playoff rounds in a weak conference is fine but it is not the point of the rebuild. You dont rebuild to become a treadmill team, which is what the Celtics have become.

In that sense, and for various reasons specific to each team, it is fair to say that the Celtics rebuild have been worse than the teams i mentioned, especially considering how many assets Boston had at the beginning.
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,828

Post#239 » by GiannisAnte34 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Ainge was too greedy with his war chest. Tried to rebuild and contend at the same time. Now the Celtics have to pay for it by becoming a treadmill team with limited assets to find a franchise player.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#240 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:36 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:Ainge was too greedy with his war chest. Tried to rebuild and contend at the same time. Now the Celtics have to pay for it by becoming a treadmill team with limited assets to find a franchise player.

I'm not sure he was trying to rebuild and contend, Stevens just had them overachieving for 2-3 years while they were rebuilding and suddenly they were unexpectedly in the EC finals. He had Zeller/Sullinger starting at the big spots while winning 48 games one season and they're both out of the league right now. And who expected Isiah Thomas to become an efficient, 25 ppg all-star when Ainge got him?

The Hayward injury was obviously crippling to the team, he was a top 20 player before that and Kyrie becoming a complete distraction and his bolting in the off-season was completely unexpected as recently as January.

Sometimes the direction and the plan can actually be very good but it still doesn't turn out as well as expected.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to The General Board