Alvin Gentry After Zion Williamson's Game-High 29 Points: 'We Want To Play Him In Space'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Alvin Gentry After Zion Williamson's Game-High 29 Points: 'We Want To Play Him In Space' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 am

Zion Williamson scored a game-high 29 points during the New Orleans Pelicans' 127-125 win over the Chicago Bulls in preseason. Williamson finished the game shooting 12-13 from the field.

Alvin Gentry stressed that he wants Williamson to always be moving on offense. 

"We have to get him moving. We want him in space. We want to play him in space. The way you can do that is you have to get him on the move," said Gentry.

Williamson added that he's focused on not standing still during a play.

"Sometimes I find myself standing still. If I feel like I'm standing, I circle around and try to find an open spot," added Williamson.

Via Andrew Lopez/ESPN

dadanyk
Analyst
And1: 72

Re: Alvin Gentry After Zion Williamson's Game-High 29 Points: 'We Want To Play Him In Space' 

Post#2 » by dadanyk » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:50 pm

but did he make a jump shot? bulls defense was nowhere to be found
knicks512
Junior
And1: 1,127

Re: Alvin Gentry After Zion Williamson's Game-High 29 Points: 'We Want To Play Him In Space' 

Post#3 » by knicks512 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:27 pm

dadanyk wrote:but did he make a jump shot? bulls defense was nowhere to be found

He missed one shot. If he can score 29 points on over 90% shooting without taking a jump shot, he should never take a jump shot.

Of course that's not going to happen. He's going to have to develop a jumper and by all indications he's a hard worker so I think that he will, but there's zero reason to say "did he make a jump shot" like you're some kind of basketball scouting expert, when the kid scored 29 points on 12/13 shooting. He's 19. And you suck at scouting.

Guessing you were one the clueless who thought he couldn't dominate like he did in college and now are trying to defend your awful position. He's going to be a great player. Deal with it.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,151

Post#4 » by PoundTown » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:16 pm

knicks512 wrote:
dadanyk wrote:but did he make a jump shot? bulls defense was nowhere to be found

He missed one shot. If he can score 29 points on over 90% shooting without taking a jump shot, he should never take a jump shot.

Of course that's not going to happen. He's going to have to develop a jumper and by all indications he's a hard worker so I think that he will, but there's zero reason to say "did he make a jump shot" like you're some kind of basketball scouting expert, when the kid scored 29 points on 12/13 shooting. He's 19. And you suck at scouting.

Guessing you were one the clueless who thought he couldn't dominate like he did in college and now are trying to defend your awful position. He's going to be a great player. Deal with it.

Look at how Giannis has dominated without a jimmy. Certain freaks don’t need one, and I’m not saying he shouldn’t get one, just that he can be very effective without it, still.
swyftdahoe
Senior
And1: 449

Post#5 » by swyftdahoe » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 pm

I've seen enough after 2 preseason games to really feel confident that his game will translate even better to the NBA. He's gonna put up numbers just due to his ability to explode into empty spaces like a great shift running back. That Rose-like jitteriness to his game is just amazing to see.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#6 » by Temuhjan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Sounds like "we have to get him moving ... to another franchise".

The Pelicans are going to give Zion all the minutes he can take, showboat him for a season, then make an excuse for wanting to swap him for the flashiest new toy out there next June.
Bully555242
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#7 » by Bully555242 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:28 am

swyftdahoe wrote:I've seen enough after 2 preseason games to really feel confident that his game will translate even better to the NBA. He's gonna put up numbers just due to his ability to explode into empty spaces like a great shift running back. That Rose-like jitteriness to his game is just amazing to see.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. He has some speed to his moves and is very acrobatic/accurate around the basket!

Return to Wiretap Discussion