Celtics exposed?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,784

Re: Celtics exposed? 

Post#241 » by GiannisAnte34 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:44 pm

The_Hater wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:Ainge was too greedy with his war chest. Tried to rebuild and contend at the same time. Now the Celtics have to pay for it by becoming a treadmill team with limited assets to find a franchise player.

I'm not sure he was trying to rebuild and contend, Stevens just had them overachieving for 2-3 years while they were rebuilding and suddenly they were unexpectedly in the EC finals. He had Zeller/Sullinger starting at the big spots while winning 48 games one season and they're both out of the league right now. And who expected Isiah Thomas to become an efficient, 25 ppg all-star when Ainge got him?

The Hayward injury was obviously crippling to the team, he was a top 20 player before that and Kyrie becoming a complete distraction and his bolting in the off-season was completely unexpected as recently as January.

Sometimes the direction and the plan can actually be very good but it still doesn't turn out as well as expected.

The fact is Ainge was presented multiple opportunities to acquire players that would put the Celtics closer to title contention. (Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, maybe Anthony Davis) He turned them down to hoard his prospects. The Hayward move wasn't a great fit even if he was healthy because of the makeup of the roster. Have to think that this is a little bit of karma coming back to the Celtics for ditching someone who played with pure passion, leadership, and desire to win above all else.
Liminy
Junior
And1: 189

Post#242 » by Liminy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:55 pm

I thought I was critical of Ainge waiting too long to make his moves. Imagine what he could have gotten for some of these players after that trip to the ECF and look where we just a little over a year later. But 35 wins? Boston fans have some issues. Did the Red Sox season give you flashbacks to back in the day or did your expectations after all of these championship teams muddle your heads? Their smart enough to fix the Kanter situation somehow.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#243 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:56 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:Ainge was too greedy with his war chest. Tried to rebuild and contend at the same time. Now the Celtics have to pay for it by becoming a treadmill team with limited assets to find a franchise player.

I'm not sure he was trying to rebuild and contend, Stevens just had them overachieving for 2-3 years while they were rebuilding and suddenly they were unexpectedly in the EC finals. He had Zeller/Sullinger starting at the big spots while winning 48 games one season and they're both out of the league right now. And who expected Isiah Thomas to become an efficient, 25 ppg all-star when Ainge got him?

The Hayward injury was obviously crippling to the team, he was a top 20 player before that and Kyrie becoming a complete distraction and his bolting in the off-season was completely unexpected as recently as January.

Sometimes the direction and the plan can actually be very good but it still doesn't turn out as well as expected.

The fact is Ainge was presented multiple opportunities to acquire players that would put the Celtics closer to title contention. (Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, maybe Anthony Davis) He turned them down to hoard his prospects. The Hayward move wasn't a great fit even if he was healthy because of the makeup of the roster. Have to think that this is a little bit of karma coming back to the Celtics for ditching someone who played with pure passion, leadership, and desire to win above all else.

That was primarily about timing regarding Butler and George, any trade made while they were available would have cost the team major assets and it would have used up their future cap space. Hayward was signed without giving up assets, just using cap space and it went simultaneously with trading for Irving. If you don't time things perfectly you lose out on subsequent moves and that would have been the case here. Ainge waited until the 2017 off season on purpose.

Plus considering that both Butler has played for 3 other teams since that trade opportunity was there, that looks like an excellent decision and he had the same intel that everyone else had on George and Kawhi, that they both wanted to head to LA as free-agents and that's where they have both ended up.

All I'm saying here is that Ainge could have made one or more of the moves that you're pointing out here and still ended up being criticized for making the wrong moves today. Personally, I think he made a mistake not trading for Kawhi last season. He easily could have made that deal and the Celtics probably win the championship. But if they don't and Kawhi bolts to the Clippers, the criticism would be even worse right now.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#244 » by manlisten » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:46 pm

The_Hater wrote:

I wouldn't say Kyrie's behavior was unpredictable. The only reason the Celtics were even able to get him is because he did the same thing in Cleveland. Ainge either ignored that risk or was arrogant enough to think he could control it. He got so much praise for his approach to rebuilding and I think it's fair that he gets just as much criticism when it blows up. And people keep referring to PG, Kawhi etc. but those are just the potential trades we as fans are aware of. There are plenty of other deals that could've been made to upgrade the roster. Hell he could've traded Kyrie since the writing was on the wall all season and even towards the end of Kyrie's first year.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#245 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:55 pm

manlisten wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I wouldn't say Kyrie's behavior was unpredictable. The only reason the Celtics were even able to get him is because he did the same thing in Cleveland. Ainge either ignored that risk or was arrogant enough to think he could control it. He got so much praise for his approach to rebuilding and I think it's fair that he gets just as much criticism when it blows up. And people keep referring to PG, Kawhi etc. but those are just the potential trades we as fans are aware of. There are plenty of other deals that could've been made to upgrade the roster. Hell he could've traded Kyrie since the writing was on the wall all season and even towards the end of Kyrie's first year.

I would say it was very unpredictable considering that he was the leader of a team everyone was picking to win the conference and he was saying the right things before the season began. Most people had him highly likely to be resigning with the Celtics at that point. It seemed like a sure thing. Then he started complaining about halfway through the season and before it even ended, everyone knew he wasn’t coming back. Things went 180 degrees in less than 6 months.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
manlisten
Junior
And1: 311

Post#246 » by manlisten » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:03 pm

The_Hater wrote:
manlisten wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I would say it was very unpredictable considering that he was the leader of a team everyone was picking to win the conference and he was saying the right things before the season began. Most people had him highly likely to be resigning with the Celtics at that point. It seemed like a sure thing. Then he started complaining about halfway through the season and before it even ended, everyone knew he wasn’t coming back. Things went 180 degrees in less than 6 months.

Was it unpredictable that Butler would leave Philly after what happened in Minnesota? He said all the right things as well. Elton Brand was smart enough to secure some insurance in Tobias Harris. Ainge didn't feel the need for such a contingency plan. Trust a person's actions, not their words. That one's on Danny. He also constructed an ill-fitting team of redundant, me first players which was the catalyst for the toxic environment in the first place. The chemistry issues didn't suddenly appear after the trade deadline, you're being a little revisionist there.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,147

Post#247 » by itrsteve » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:06 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:The fact is Ainge was presented multiple opportunities to acquire players that would put the Celtics closer to title contention. (Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler, maybe Anthony Davis) He turned them down to hoard his prospects. The Hayward move wasn't a great fit even if he was healthy because of the makeup of the roster. Have to think that this is a little bit of karma coming back to the Celtics for ditching someone who played with pure passion, leadership, and desire to win above all else.

So what's the argument you're making here? In the same breath you criticized him for not making moves for all-star talent and also making moves for all-star talent.

Not saying Danny is free from criticism by any means, but pick one argument and stick with it.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#248 » by SichtingLives » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Lot of questionable slants about the C's from fans and haters alike these days. We're not contending this year so the C issue is irrelevant at this point. We had no immediate plan for losing Al (or any plan whatsoever besides tunnel vision for AD) so the current committee are temporary band-aids unless Rob develops well or Poirer is NBA quality. Ainge needs to snap out of his rebuilding plan which is dead now anyway, pick a new direction, piviot up and move Brown, Hayward or both for some value before that becomes the next issue that bites us in the ass. I'm cool with a starting point of Kemba, Smart and Tatum, getting a look at the youth we have coming up this year and moving past the misfires. An optimist would say there has been a lot for Danny and Stevens to learn from all of this.

Ainge needs to get back up on the horse and do what he does best which is work the count, draw walks, hit for contact, move runners over, steal bases, stretch singles into doubles and manufacture runs. That's what he excels at as a GM, finding value in odd places and maximizing it. He's not a home run hitter.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#249 » by Tiny ball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:47 pm

LloydFree wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
LloydFree wrote:B.S.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014_ratings.html

All of this started in the tank year of 2013-14 (the Wiggins draft). The Bucks, 76ers, Lakers, Magic and Celtics were all starting rebuilds at the same time. And 5 years later the Celtics are behind all but the Magic. And even that is debatable right now.

You're grasping at straws, we were in the lottery ourselves for 1 season, lad. And we have been the most successful out of the above mentioned teams so far. So I don't understand the point? Why do we have to be better than all those teams for such a long period of time, 5 years is a lot? Your argument is awful and you're assuming we will be bad, you don't know that cause the season hasn't started, that's your opinion.

The Celtics have been better because they jumped out and signed Al Horford as soon as they got capspace. Don't blame the other teams for choosing the path of rebuilding through complete teardowns, instead of trying to do both at the same time and accomplishing nothing.
Few minutes away from the finals with 60 million dollars not playing is more than nothing.
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#250 » by Tiny ball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Jurry wrote:Lot of questionable slants about the C's from fans and haters alike these days. We're not contending this year so the C issue is irrelevant at this point. We had no immediate plan for losing Al (or any plan whatsoever besides tunnel vision for AD) so the current committee are temporary band-aids unless Rob develops well or Poirer is NBA quality. Ainge needs to snap out of his rebuilding plan which is dead now anyway, pick a new direction, piviot up and move Brown, Hayward or both for some value before that becomes the next issue that bites us in the ass. I'm cool with a starting point of Kemba, Smart and Tatum, getting a look at the youth we have coming up this year and moving past the misfires. An optimist would say there has been a lot for Danny and Stevens to learn from all of this.

Ainge needs to get back up on the horse and do what he does best which is work the count, draw walks, hit for contact, move runners over, steal bases, stretch singles into doubles and manufacture runs. That's what he excels at as a GM, finding value in odd places and maximizing it. He's not a home run hitter.
If they are not in the finals this year it is just bad coaching and management.imho
KevinGamble34
Sixth Man
And1: 1,640

Post#251 » by KevinGamble34 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:48 pm

This thread will go into meltdown if we lose to Orlando.

Spoiler:
We had no answer to Orlando's bigs last year with Horford, Morris, and Baynes
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,366

Post#252 » by robbie84 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Jurry wrote:Lot of questionable slants about the C's from fans and haters alike these days. We're not contending this year so the C issue is irrelevant at this point. We had no immediate plan for losing Al (or any plan whatsoever besides tunnel vision for AD) so the current committee are temporary band-aids unless Rob develops well or Poirer is NBA quality. Ainge needs to snap out of his rebuilding plan which is dead now anyway, pick a new direction, piviot up and move Brown, Hayward or both for some value before that becomes the next issue that bites us in the ass. I'm cool with a starting point of Kemba, Smart and Tatum, getting a look at the youth we have coming up this year and moving past the misfires. An optimist would say there has been a lot for Danny and Stevens to learn from all of this.

Right, getting Kevin Garnet from all those small moves wasn't a home run.
Getting Isaiah Thomas from all those small moves wasn't a home run.
Signing Al Horford wasn't a home run.
Signing Hayward wasn't a home run.
Finding Brad Stevens wasn't a home run.
Trading a depleted IT for Kyrie Irving wasn't a home run.
Drafting Jayson Tatum wasn't a home run.
Drafting Jaylen Brown wasn't a home run.
Drating Marcus Smart wasn't a home run.
Signing Kemba Walker wasn't a home run.

Getting those picks, then making the Jaylen, Smart and Tatum picks for the corpses of KG and Pierce wasn't a home run? C'mon man.

Dude's a fkn animal, you're way too pessimistic.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
Tiny ball
Veteran

Post#253 » by Tiny ball » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:28 pm

robbie84 wrote:

Getting those picks, then making the Jaylen, Smart and Tatum picks for the corpses of KG and Pierce wasn't a home run? C'mon man.

I see some of those as fails.
TroubleS0me
Head Coach
And1: 5,000

Post#254 » by TroubleS0me » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:43 pm

niQ wrote:Image

wow disrespectful to the Raptors..they dont think highly of them..they are the defending champs
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#255 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Funny how the BSPN analysts couldn't see this coming .No interior defense... You lose Morris, Horford, and Baynes, replace that with Kanter and what did they expect?Instead of talking about the Celts being a top 4 Eastern team and whether Kemba could replace Kyrie , they needed to be asking if they can even make the playoffs as a "donut" team.

It has been extremely under reported exactly what they lost outside of Kyrie....

-They had 3 bigs who could defend, and in horfords case at an extremely high level (Horford, morris, baynes).
-Those 3 bigs also stretched the floor. Morris and Horford are 2 guys you can space the floor with without going small.
-They lost NBA calibur depth. Maybe a young guy steps up, but right now they really only go 7 deep with nba players. and when we talk about depth, its not just the bench playing well, its having nba level players to step in and start when injuries happen

:o Marcus Morris can defend and stretch the floor? The guy is a ball hog who got hyped last season because he was very efficient to start last season. However he has had a negative defensive box every season and doesn't know the word pass, he doesn't contribute to winning basketball and doesn't really stretch the floor as defenders know what will happen when he gets touches.. Obviously though Boston lost its inside defensive presence but we already knew they aren't contending for a title so I don't understand why it's a bid deal to play young guys and hope one developed. Same with their bench, they decided to use all their picks over brining in vets, however they're more than seven deep. Walker, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Williams, Smart, Semi, Kanter, and Theis all saw decent minutes last season and I would bet at least Edwards gets minutes in the second unit.
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#256 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:04 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

This is a stretch, and I've soured on Ainge as a Celtic fan. Why is it if Ainge decides to develope his young players he's "hoarding his assets?" You just just gave four examples and they've all forced their way out of town, three after being traded. So youre saying it would have been better if Ainge would have traded his best assets for a player who would have just left? Wait a sec, that's what happened with Irving.... :noway:
Patsfan1081
RealGM

Post#257 » by Patsfan1081 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:08 pm

TroubleS0me wrote:
niQ wrote:Image

wow disrespectful to the Raptors..they dont think highly of them..they are the defending champs

They'll be a playoff team but they also just lost two of their three best players, including one of the three best players in the league. A lot will have to go right for them to earn a home playoff spot.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,059

Post#258 » by RHODEY » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Funny how the BSPN analysts couldn't see this coming .No interior defense... You lose Morris, Horford, and Baynes, replace that with Kanter and what did they expect?Instead of talking about the Celts being a top 4 Eastern team and whether Kemba could replace Kyrie , they needed to be asking if they can even make the playoffs as a "donut" team.

It has been extremely under reported exactly what they lost outside of Kyrie....

-They had 3 bigs who could defend, and in horfords case at an extremely high level (Horford, morris, baynes).
-Those 3 bigs also stretched the floor. Morris and Horford are 2 guys you can space the floor with without going small.
-They lost NBA calibur depth. Maybe a young guy steps up, but right now they really only go 7 deep with nba players. and when we talk about depth, its not just the bench playing well, its having nba level players to step in and start when injuries happen

:o Marcus Morris can defend and stretch the floor? The guy is a ball hog who got hyped last season because he was very efficient to start last season. However he has had a negative defensive box every season and doesn't know the word pass, he doesn't contribute to winning basketball and doesn't really stretch the floor as defenders know what will happen when he gets touches.. Obviously though Boston lost its inside defensive presence but we already knew they aren't contending for a title so I don't understand why it's a bid deal to play young guys and hope one developed. Same with their bench, they decided to use all their picks over brining in vets, however they're more than seven deep. Walker, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Williams, Smart, Semi, Kanter, and Theis all saw decent minutes last season and I would bet at least Edwards gets minutes in the second unit.

Stop it he was one of the Celts most reliable/consistent players for large stretches of the season. A huge loss even though many like to pretend otherwise.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,441

Post#259 » by SichtingLives » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:18 pm

robbie84 wrote:

I can see you're not a baseball guy, thats fine but only one of those is a home run. The rest, of course good moves. But like I said its a whole lot of contact hitting and manufacturing runs. Danny just struck out a bunch of times with the bases loaded. He also tried to replicate his model for building a champion from 2007 in 2019 which didn't work while Masai showed exactly how its done these days. You cant sit around waiting for everything to fall in your lap with a neatly tied bow, the league has grown far too dynamic for that.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#260 » by mg » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 pm

In hindsight Ainge should've made that Kyrie for Kawhi deal. They were both 1 year rentals but at least Kawhi would've given them a much better chance to win another title last season.
I think Ainge's real target all along may have been AD but that all went out the window as soon as he signed with klutch sports.

Return to The General Board