Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

RalphSampsonJr
Pro Prospect
And1: 584

Re: Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild 

Post#861 » by RalphSampsonJr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:45 pm

jambalaya wrote:Anthony Bennett injured / waived. I would closely consider claiming. He washed out of NBA but did well last season, especially shooting 3 ball. I'd carry him over Burton. Not that old.

Hes been through how many systems? I think its over for him. We already have 2 stretch 4s and hes not taking any time away from Adams or Noel.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#862 » by spearsy23 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:11 pm

jambalaya wrote:Anthony Bennett injured / waived. I would closely consider claiming. He washed out of NBA but did well last season, especially shooting 3 ball. I'd carry him over Burton. Not that old.

Bennett is older than Burton/Nader/Adams. The only reason to want him over Burton is based on his draft position giving him some perceived upside that isn't actually there.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#863 » by jambalaya » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:25 pm

Do y'all know he shot 45% from 3pt range on almost 5 attempts per game with a ts% of 72% in g-league last season (2nd best) and a BPM of 4.5?

Still 26. Burton only 1 year younger.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#864 » by Andre Roberstan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:12 pm

jambalaya wrote:Do y'all know he shot 45% from 3pt range on almost 5 attempts per game with a ts% of 72% in g-league last season (2nd best) and a BPM of 4.5?

Still 26. Burton only 1 year younger.

Talked to a couple of people who'd know and most were a little cynical about his chances of making it back to the league. That's literally the ONLY thing he did, and it was in the farm league.

You remember PJ Hairston? Neither do I.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#865 » by jambalaya » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:59 pm

I remember Hairston. Hairston never did anything close to what Bennett did last year in g league.

I said consider on Bennett. It partly depends on the medical eval and how long he will be out.

He shot 42% from 3 the year before in even more games / minutes.

It would be a low cost upside gamble. Or you can stay with Burton who was close to bottom 10% on BPM last season and almost certainly will not last long-term. 47% on ts%, 29.6% from 3.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#866 » by spearsy23 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:12 pm

jambalaya wrote:I remember Hairston. Hairston never did anything close to what Bennett did last year in g league.

I said consider on Bennett. It partly depends on the medical eval and how long he will be out.

He shot 42% from 3 the year before in even more games / minutes.

It would be a low cost upside gamble. Or you can stay with Burton who was close to bottom 10% on BPM last season and almost certainly will not last long-term.

It's not a binary option, you could have either, both, or neither. The point is that both suck eggs and probably aren't NBA players, but at least Burton hasn't had multiple chances and kept washing out.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#867 » by jambalaya » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Bennett only got about 320 minutes NBA trial after his age 21 second season.

we'll see if either do anything meaningful from here.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#868 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:13 pm

What should I know about this RJ Hampton kid?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#869 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 am

Is this game streamable anywhere?
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#870 » by slick_watts » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:37 am

shai reminds me a bit of reggie jackson, hopefully without the inferiority complex and hopefully with a higher 3pt freq / % and FTr. he finishes like reggie did at the rim and their handles are similar.
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#871 » by Andre Roberstan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:02 am

slick_watts wrote:shai reminds me a bit of reggie jackson, hopefully without the inferiority complex and hopefully with a higher 3pt freq / % and FTr. he finishes like reggie did at the rim and their handles are similar.

Little bigger than Reggie, seems to be dialed more to passer than scorer from what I can see. I think this is a weird comp but handles may look similar due to arm length.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#872 » by kdthunderup » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:21 am

slick_watts wrote:shai reminds me a bit of reggie jackson, hopefully without the inferiority complex and hopefully with a higher 3pt freq / % and FTr. he finishes like reggie did at the rim and their handles are similar.

Shai is much better than Reggie. I never got the feeling watching Reggie that he would never been anything more than a 6th man or solid starter, whilst with SGA I can easily see him being a multiple time all star.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#873 » by slick_watts » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Andre Roberstan wrote:

Little bigger than Reggie, seems to be dialed more to passer than scorer from what I can see. I think this is a weird comp but handles may look similar due to arm length.

i did not watch much sga last season and i never watch college ball so this is from my limited perspective of two preseason games and last year's playoffs. they both use their length similarly on drives, shai's little scoop at the rim reminds me of reggie a lot, and his odd and slow 3pt shooting form.

yeah he's bigger and he should end up better. reggie was a capable playmaker for others when he was here though.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#874 » by Old Man Game » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Feel like SGA may be better shooter but not as good at getting the rim as SPG (starting point guard) Jackson.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#875 » by retrobro90 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Still need to see SGA play against a squad with a legitimate paint/rim protector. His scoring is really promising and I think he'll continue to be efficient doing so but I really worry about him dribbling in tight spaces. I think he has a long way to go in terms of his passing. There was a 2 on 1 transition opportunity last game with what should have been an easy lob opportunity and he waited way too late. I don't think he has a whole lot when it comes to drive and kick/dish either.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#876 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:05 pm

retrobro90 wrote:Still need to see SGA play against a squad with a legitimate paint/rim protector. His scoring is really promising and I think he'll continue to be efficient doing so but I really worry about him dribbling in tight spaces. I think he has a long way to go in terms of his passing. There was a 2 on 1 transition opportunity last game with what should have been an easy lob opportunity and he waited way too late. I don't think he has a whole lot when it comes to drive and kick/dish either.

That’s probably one of the weaker areas of his game that I’ve noticed. He might not ever be a guy that has the gaudy assist numbers. Although I agree that he needs to get better, I’m not convinced that we need to have a point guard that controls all aspects of the offense. I think there is a happy medium between a guy like russ who creates all the offense and a guy like Schroder who once again proved he can’t throw a basic lob that the reigning slam dunk champion can finish. Steven is showing some nice things with passing out of the post. He showed it early last year too. Bazley seems like a very capable and willing passer. If the offense if surrounded by guys like this that can also defend, that’s pretty much my ideal team.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#877 » by Pillendreher » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:47 am

Read on Twitter

HOW DARE THEY NOT WORSHIP ME

Just retire already, you insufferable clown.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#878 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 am

Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

The dude is an emotional basket case. He just can't quit talking about the Thunder.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#879 » by Pillendreher » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:27 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

The dude is an emotional basket case. He just can't quit talking about the Thunder.

Deep down he knows he **** up and that he most likely can't fix that with what he has left of his career after his injury.

You think some former NBA players are behaving like bitter old men since retiring? Watch out for this guy.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#880 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:33 am

Pillendreher wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:
Read on Twitter

Deep down he knows he **** up and that he most likely can't fix that with what he has left of his career after his injury.

You think some former NBA players are behaving like bitter old men since retiring? Watch out for this guy.

He's not going to quit talking until he get's a negative response from the organization. Sam's continued praise and compliments clearly eat at him. He's just hoping that one day someone will slip up and say something so he can finally have some form of justification in his own mind and tweet at the world, "See! I told you all I was a victim!"

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder