ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Official Media Day & Training Camp Thread (TODAY @ 10 AM)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Re: 2019 Official Media Day & Training Camp Thread (TODAY @ 10 AM) 

Post#381 » by tdotrep2 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 am

im not sure if any of the top teams still have assets tho... who would want kyle and have anything to offer?
Starr1
General Manager
And1: 6,012

Post#382 » by Starr1 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:55 am

Masai should try getting Iguodala out of Memphis. I think he's still better than those we presently have at the 3.
wigginstruther
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#383 » by wigginstruther » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:31 am

Starr1 wrote:Masai should try getting Iguodala out of Memphis. I think he's still better than those we presently have at the 3.

Iggy is washed man. OG gives defense and a far better 3 pt shot.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,891

Post#384 » by fbalmeida » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:57 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:

It's somehow fitting that one of the rare ESPN references to the Toronto Raptors would focus on a potential fire sale.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#385 » by Boogie! » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:35 am

I just realized Masai didn't name Norm as part of guys making a potential jump. He brings up pascal, fvv, og, boucher and even mccaw.... But no norm. No idea why this organization has no investment in norm.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,156

Post#386 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:56 am

Boogie! wrote:I just realized Masai didn't name Norm as part of guys making a potential jump. He brings up pascal, fvv, og, boucher and even mccaw.... But no norm. No idea why this organization has no investment in norm.

maybe he did it by accident. i mean its okay to be put on the spot and forget something or someone. Norm has been with the org like 4-5 years now?

he's pretty much one of the older raps on the team too. easy to forget he's 26 years old too
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,156

Post#387 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:03 am

wigginstruther wrote:
Starr1 wrote:Masai should try getting Iguodala out of Memphis. I think he's still better than those we presently have at the 3.

I think Raps going for internal development more than anything.

I think he's hoping for maturity and realization of potential to surround a superstar (or a few stars)

and if that gets the Raptors somehow to the playoffs and somehow into the 2nd or 3rd round, i'll be happy with that. it would be the fruits of hard work from our young players.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,073

Post#388 » by tecumseh18 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:34 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
wigginstruther wrote:

I think he's hoping for maturity and realization of potential to surround a superstar (or a few stars)

and if that gets the Raptors somehow to the playoffs and somehow into the 2nd or 3rd round, i'll be happy with that. it would be the fruits of hard work from our young players.

Look at the Clippers. People thought they were tanking last February in trading Tobias Harris for picks and prospects. But Harris is not that great, Shamet is pretty good, Clippers still had a good showing in the playoffs AND got the extra picks to trade for PG which helped them get Kawhi.

[edited to clarify] Masai should keep the picks and projects unless it's a trade for a star (like Beal). Actually, I would trade for Otto. He's had some injuries in recent years, but I think he can be a good Kawhi-lite two-way player. The only problem is that our big contracts are also valuable pieces. Trading OG + Serge/Marc would really hurt the team, unless it was prime KD coming back.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#389 » by navyblue » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:36 pm

with what matching salary? fvv?
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#390 » by Dalek » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Been watching New Orleans on LP and I have to say again and again NAW is a player. Anyone outside of Pascal should be traded for this kid. Don't know if they have a bad contract but I'd take it. He is the real deal.

Also Jordon Poole from GSW is a pure scorer. Excited to see this guy.

Kingsway_fan
RealGM
And1: 8,888

Post#391 » by Kingsway_fan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Word is If released he will go to Lakers or clippers
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,147

Post#392 » by PoundTown » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:59 pm

Kingsway_fan wrote:

Word is If released he will go to Lakers or clippers

I think his best bet for a prominent role on a contender would be Houston. They really need a sizey 3 and D Wing, since PJ is basically a full time 4 man for them now. I'd be really high on them if they could acquire that. I think this Harden and Russ project could work.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,779

Post#393 » by Dennis 37 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:36 pm

navyblue wrote:

with what matching salary? fvv?

The assumption is that his salary makes him untradeable and that he will eventually be bought out. Then he ends up on LA on a vet minimum. I don't like the buyout rules as it gives advantage to the best teams at an extremely low cost. The buyout team covers almost all of the financial responsibility and gets diddly-squat for doing so. If the player plays beyond a certain number of playoff minutes, a second round pick should be going back. If the player plays beyond a specified number of playoff games, a first round pick should be going back.

Alonzo Mourning still haunts me.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#394 » by TheBoi10 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:44 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
wigginstruther wrote:

Look at the Clippers. People thought they were tanking last February in trading Tobias Harris for picks and prospects. But Harris is not that great, Shamet is pretty good, Clippers still had a good showing in the playoffs AND got the extra picks to trade for PG which helped them get Kawhi.

[edited to clarify] Masai should keep the picks and projects unless it's a trade for a star (like Beal). Actually, I would trade for Otto. He's had some injuries in recent years, but I think he can be a good Kawhi-lite two-way player. The only problem is that our big contracts are also valuable pieces. Trading OG + Serge/Marc would really hurt the team, unless it was prime KD coming back.

Anybody who thought the Clippers were tanking after trading Harris doesn't know basketball that well. Tobias Harris is one of the most overrated players in the league, even more than DeBum.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#395 » by Patman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:25 am

TheBoi10 wrote:
tecumseh18 wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

Anybody who thought the Clippers were tanking after trading Harris doesn't know basketball that well. Tobias Harris is one of the most overrated players in the league, even more than DeBum.

Harris is a solid niche player, but he's going to struggle as the starting 3. He should be a stretch 4 on a strong defensive team. That's his optimal role.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#396 » by Dalek » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:14 pm

“For me, it starts with who’s going to execute the defensive game plan and who’s going to be a safe pair of hands on offence, and then who’s going to not be afraid to take the kick-out shot, because while they’re in there they’ll probably get a few.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2019/10/14/kyle-lowrys-return-will-mean-the-raptors-are-getting-serious-about-the-regular-season.html

This was Nurse on who likely ends up the eighth man. I think it is pretty much between McCaw and Davis. While McCaw is less aggressive on offense, he doesn't make a ton of mistakes when he has the ball. Davis is young and tends to make some iffy reads.

On a bad team Davis would be allowed to play through his mistakes, but on a playoff team he will likely need some time with the 905 or be a practice player.

Guys like Miller and Thomas are end of rotation guys which again highlight the conundrum. Miller knows the system and is pretty solid overall, while I think Thomas has more offensive upside. I'd lean towards McCaw and Miller with some mid-season shifts if Davis and Thomas progress.

The only caveat is that McCaw tweaked his knee last game, and they might fast track Davis as a result. Everything on this guy's journey so far as been faster than expected, so maybe he will sneak into the rotation if he shows well against Brooklyn and over the course of the week.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,346

Post#397 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:42 pm

I would love to see TD play some solid minutes at the 2 with either FVV or Lowry. I think asking him to play the 1 is actually asking a lot and in context he's done a reasonable job. He has got the team organized and executed some plays and he has done some driving and dishing in late clock and broken play scenarios. I'm not saying he has looked great at the 1. I'm saying that in a 3 and D role he won't make nearly as many mistakes. Defend, hit open shots and take it to the rack here and there. It's a much more reasonable ask.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,740

Post#398 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:I would love to see TD play some solid minutes at the 2 with either FVV or Lowry. I think asking him to play the 1 is actually asking a lot and in context he's done a reasonable job. He has got the team organized and executed some plays and he has done some driving and dishing in late clock and broken play scenarios. I'm not saying he has looked great at the 1. I'm saying that in a 3 and D role he won't make nearly as many mistakes. Defend, hit open shots and take it to the rack here and there. It's a much more reasonable ask.

Honestly, why even do that when he can go to the Gleague and develop his entire offensive skillset being the primary option. I'd rather him focus on development and grow there. Then you can evaluate his game and see what kind of potential he really has. There is less time for mistakes on the Raptors team. He can work on his ball handling, his catch and shoot, his pnr game and defense consistently with the 905 along with Dewan, Konate, Brissett, Robinson.
Yeezy SZN approaching
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,431

Post#399 » by mtcan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Dalek wrote:Been watching New Orleans on LP and I have to say again and again NAW is a player. Anyone outside of Pascal should be traded for this kid. Don't know if they have a bad contract but I'd take it. He is the real deal.

Also Jordon Poole from GSW is a pure scorer. Excited to see this guy.

Maybe one day SGA and NAW will team up in their home town...that would be a fun back court combination.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,346

Post#400 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Yeezus_ wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:I would love to see TD play some solid minutes at the 2 with either FVV or Lowry. I think asking him to play the 1 is actually asking a lot and in context he's done a reasonable job. He has got the team organized and executed some plays and he has done some driving and dishing in late clock and broken play scenarios. I'm not saying he has looked great at the 1. I'm saying that in a 3 and D role he won't make nearly as many mistakes. Defend, hit open shots and take it to the rack here and there. It's a much more reasonable ask.

Honestly, why even do that...

The short answer is we need a backup 2. I believe TD is the best 2 on this roster after Norm.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)

Return to Toronto Raptors