Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Recap]

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 11 vs. Milwaukee (FSSW)] 

Post#101 » by Pinkyring » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:18 am

Teffer10 wrote:My take on the first two games:

1. Our lack of strength in the frontcourt will be a problem as teams figure out to get physical with us early.
Adams and Drummond owned the paint against us.

2. Lack of athleticism in our SL and main rotation. Powell and DFS are about it. Wright, THJ and Maxi are athletic but I see a lack of aggression in their athletic game.

3. Wright is a complete disappointment thus far. It's early but so far he looks lost. Reaves looks better than Wright to me so far.

4. Curry seems to have a lack of interest. It is preseason so I'll give him a pass. He has to be more involved in the offense for us to any chance at the POs.

5. Brunson will be a very solid backup PG and might work his way into the SL if others don't pick it up a little.

6. KP and Luka are legit stars and will need more help. The drop off of talent level from them to the next guy is much too big.

7. THJ is showing some signs of being that 3rd option guy and I'd still love to see him in the SL. We need to see if he can elevate to a Fin role and the best way to do that is playing him predominantly with starters. He needs to be consistent.

8. We need some attitude on this team. Give me a Stack, NVE or DeShawn Stevenson clone and I'll be happy.

9. Boban is just plain too slow for this team. Mejri was a better fit imo even though Boban is a better player.

10. Jackson and DFS are not starting material. Jackson showed signs the first game but didn't seem to mesh well with Luka and KP for some reason. We need to find a defensive wing who can shoot the 3. Jackson can shoot the 3 but doesn't look anywhere near an elite defender. DFS's overall game is barely good enough to make the roster of a PO caliber team.

What gives you the impression kp is a star? He's been grossly inefficient and all he's done is brick 3s thus far
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#102 » by ejs78 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:22 am

This stood out to me big time Wednesday when I at the game. He needs to be able to create some. Not saying Lowry is Luka, but the Raps made it work having some ball sharing between the 2.
Pinkyring wrote:Donnie is just really bad at his job as far as building around stars, why'd we sign Wright, he isn't a spot up shooter and lm pro two ball handlers/playmakers on the floor but to run those 2 out there together with no shooters is ridiculous

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#103 » by Pinkyring » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 am

ejs78 wrote:This stood out to me big time Wednesday when I at the game. He needs to be able to create some. Not saying Lowry is Luka, but the Raps made it work having some ball sharing between the 2.
Pinkyring wrote:Donnie is just really bad at his job as far as building around stars, why'd we sign Wright, he isn't a spot up shooter and lm pro two ball handlers/playmakers on the floor but to run those 2 out there together with no shooters is ridiculous

Yeah it can't be all luka, u need two guys initiating, but if you're going to run out dfs and maxi or any other combo that doesn't involve shooting the offense will be ugly and miserable
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#104 » by ejs78 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:40 am

If this is the plan I would rather sacrifice some on D and just stick Curry in the corner which btw I think the way he's being used stinks too.
Pinkyring wrote:
ejs78 wrote:This stood out to me big time Wednesday when I at the game. He needs to be able to create some. Not saying Lowry is Luka, but the Raps made it work having some ball sharing between the 2.

Yeah it can't be all luka, u need two guys initiating, but if you're going to run out dfs and maxi or any other combo that doesn't involve shooting the offense will be ugly and miserable

BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#105 » by BlueSan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:50 am

I just hate to see this poor defense on 3 pointers that Dallas had last year and still has this year by the look of it. It almost looks like they would be playing zone defense. I just dont get it. So many open three we are leaving for our opponents and so many easy buckets in general, while Dallas often has to work hard for their own.

But yeah I said it before and still feel the same. This aint a playoff team
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#106 » by NYKHardKnock » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:15 am

For KP to take the next step, he’ll need to stop being trigger happy, I thought him adding size would cement him inside the paint. He really needs to learn post moves, and stick around the mid rage. Can he hit threes? Absolutely, but he’s wayyyy to trigger happy out there. He looks the same as he did two years ago in a Knicks uniform
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#107 » by Archx » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:09 am

Maybe RC gave green light to KP to chuck it up anytime from anywhere and i can live with that in a preseason but what i don't understand are his small guard rotations. Giannis scored 18 points in 9 minutes on DFS and he was still guarding him. When Boban came in and Maxi was switched on Giannis at least he had to work for those points. This obsession that DFS needs to play center is like he was trolling us all.
I mean offense will come together ( i hope ) but defense and their rotations are puzzling. Even Wright who was suppose to be this glue guy on defense, is a black hole. They have no perimeter stoppers. DDV looked like Iverson, Pat as well. They could get to the rim anytime they wanted. Defense is seriously alarming bad.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#108 » by 2011Champs » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:38 am

Are the Mavs even better off with Delon over Devin Harris? I’m not sold.
Also Mavs might have been better off with 39 yr old Jamal Crawford for a season rather than tying up Seth Curry for years.
Boban is fun but Mavs might want to look at a reclamation project in Joakim Noah.

Hopefully Mavs look to the trade market sooner than later and also keep an open mind to a coaching change. Cuban has given Donnie Nelson and Rick Carlisle extremely long leashes. 2011 is way back in the rear view mirror. It may be time for an organizational shakeup for the Luka era.

I think statistically Luka and KP will have huge success.
The problem is the 3rd best player on the team is HardawayJr and the rest of the team wouldn’t even be in another team’s rotation in the West.
This is going to be a long painful season other than watching Luka stat it up.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,078

Post#109 » by Dirk » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Spoiler:
I stay up and this how you open the game?

- Slovenia
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

60/21/10
Darren
RealGM
And1: 826

Re: Mavs 19/20 - Preseason [Next: Oct. 14 vs. OKC] 

Post#110 » by Darren » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:22 pm

The Mavs looks like top-5 team in tanking. Pelicans, meanwhile, looks like playoff-bound so far. The pieces are malfunctioning. I don't like the coaching so far. This team spend the whole summer without any identity. This team, without Dirk, doesn't look like a functioning unit. Maybe the Mavs will eventually bottom out for Wiseman.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 849

Post#111 » by Teffer10 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Honestly Reaves looks better than Wright and seems more comfortable, aggressive and confident. He is one of those in the grill defenders and would be a great fit next to Luka. Has some playmaking skills and appears to be a better shooter than Wright.

I think Reaves has some serious upside.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#112 » by Teffer10 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:My take on the first two games:

1. Our lack of strength in the frontcourt will be a problem as teams figure out to get physical with us early.
Adams and Drummond owned the paint against us.

2. Lack of athleticism in our SL and main rotation. Powell and DFS are about it. Wright, THJ and Maxi are athletic but I see a lack of aggression in their athletic game.

3. Wright is a complete disappointment thus far. It's early but so far he looks lost. Reaves looks better than Wright to me so far.

4. Curry seems to have a lack of interest. It is preseason so I'll give him a pass. He has to be more involved in the offense for us to any chance at the POs.

5. Brunson will be a very solid backup PG and might work his way into the SL if others don't pick it up a little.

6. KP and Luka are legit stars and will need more help. The drop off of talent level from them to the next guy is much too big.

7. THJ is showing some signs of being that 3rd option guy and I'd still love to see him in the SL. We need to see if he can elevate to a Fin role and the best way to do that is playing him predominantly with starters. He needs to be consistent.

8. We need some attitude on this team. Give me a Stack, NVE or DeShawn Stevenson clone and I'll be happy.

9. Boban is just plain too slow for this team. Mejri was a better fit imo even though Boban is a better player.

10. Jackson and DFS are not starting material. Jackson showed signs the first game but didn't seem to mesh well with Luka and KP for some reason. We need to find a defensive wing who can shoot the 3. Jackson can shoot the 3 but doesn't look anywhere near an elite defender. DFS's overall game is barely good enough to make the roster of a PO caliber team.

What gives you the impression kp is a star? He's been grossly inefficient and all he's done is brick 3s thus far

I"m not concerned about KP, he'll adapt and be fine. I agree he needs to do more than hang out beyond the arc and jack up 3s but eventually he'll find his game. His mid-range game is solid. It's been said many times the Mavs will be jacking up 3s this season and will probably lead the league in attempts. I hate that strategy because we don't have very many good 3pt shooters. If KP settles into a mid-range game similar as Dirk did, he should excel.

And I'm getting tired of hearing the league has changed regarding bigs yet we get pounded in the paint every night. I think the Mavs did a piss-poor job of protecting KP because he'll be a KG type workhorse for this team before it is all over. We always tried to protect Dirk with a center to do the dirty work and that is what we should do with KP. Powell is not that guy. When we sandwiched Dirk between TC and Marion it yielded huge dividends and that is what we should do with KP imo.
wolfram
Junior
And1: 314

Post#113 » by wolfram » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:53 pm

This team looks worse than last year at the start of the season.
ARTjoMS
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#114 » by ARTjoMS » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:39 pm

KP had a bad game. I wouldn't draw any serious conclusions from this preseason game. We all know what happened the last time he played Bucks.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#115 » by Teffer10 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:07 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:Team switching too easily is an issue on D. And some players look like they're lost out there both on defense and offense. It'll take time to those guys learn each other. I didn't like Wright and his body language in 3rd. R.Carlisle is not a motivator, buddy coach so he needs to find that motivation to play hard.

Boban Marjanovic is overrated compared to his production on the court. When he subs in, all announcers, commentators talk about him almost 50% of the time. Before commercials, they definitely show some highlights of him because when he scores it usually looks cool due to height difference and stuff.
However, he lets a lot of easy buckets for the opponent team. And on offense, with all turnovers and stuff, I don't think he creates enough advantage to compensate that. The way you run offense to use Marjanovic is also kinda stagnant. Ilyasova showed his impact easily on both sides of the court helped Bucks to gain momentum.
What I am saying is he was always tall but he was only good enough to play in the NBA when he was 27. Now he's 31 getting paid $3.5m. He's not more than that so we should not expect more production. He's paid 10mpg center money and that max production you can expect from him.
We certainly need a big man on the bench who's capable to play for 25mpg and 70+games.

If somehow team polish some of those young folks, they might become a trade chip in the season. Or take another bad contract for shipping THJR.

The problem is that Boban is the only true center on this team and his size will be needed against the true centers. Drummond and Adams absolutely punished us in the paint and I don't want to even begin to imagine what guys like Embiid and Jokic are going to do to us.
Heezzi
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#116 » by Heezzi » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 am

Teffer10 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Team switching too easily is an issue on D. And some players look like they're lost out there both on defense and offense. It'll take time to those guys learn each other. I didn't like Wright and his body language in 3rd. R.Carlisle is not a motivator, buddy coach so he needs to find that motivation to play hard.

Boban Marjanovic is overrated compared to his production on the court. When he subs in, all announcers, commentators talk about him almost 50% of the time. Before commercials, they definitely show some highlights of him because when he scores it usually looks cool due to height difference and stuff.
However, he lets a lot of easy buckets for the opponent team. And on offense, with all turnovers and stuff, I don't think he creates enough advantage to compensate that. The way you run offense to use Marjanovic is also kinda stagnant. Ilyasova showed his impact easily on both sides of the court helped Bucks to gain momentum.
What I am saying is he was always tall but he was only good enough to play in the NBA when he was 27. Now he's 31 getting paid $3.5m. He's not more than that so we should not expect more production. He's paid 10mpg center money and that max production you can expect from him.
We certainly need a big man on the bench who's capable to play for 25mpg and 70+games.

If somehow team polish some of those young folks, they might become a trade chip in the season. Or take another bad contract for shipping THJR.

The problem is that Boban is the only true center on this team and his size will be needed against the true centers. Drummond and Adams absolutely punished us in the paint and I don't want to even begin to imagine what guys like Embiid and Jokic are going to do to us.

This why I want them to get Mejiri back.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#117 » by Bob8 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:42 am

Heezzi wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Mejri signed a contract with Real Madrid few days ago.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,859

Post#118 » by dirkules_41 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:20 am

Heezzi wrote:
Teffer10 wrote:

Loved the Mej as a chemistry guy but he absolutely did not fit our play.

Good thing we still have Powell and he looks very much bulked up, hopefully he learned to play some defense.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#119 » by jpengland » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:31 pm

Christ. The doom and gloom here is unbearable

It's preseason. Its about reps for guys like KP.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#120 » by Pinkyring » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:30 pm

jpengland wrote:Christ. The doom and gloom here is unbearable

It's preseason. Its about reps for guys like KP.

They've been awful and based on the play doesn't look like much will change in season

Return to Dallas Mavericks