Giannis Adetokunbo

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Juggynaut
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Re: Giannis Adetokunbo 

Post#21 » by Juggynaut » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:34 am

He looks like a Paul George kind of player, Mavs, Celtics, and Chicago are teams I think are willing to take a chance on him. Maybe even OKC.
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#22 » by DoubleLintendre » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 am

Upside is considerable, given his physical gifts and feel for the game.

But, he's raw as hell. It's going to be 3-4 years of development before he is any good. That's a long time. Best chances for him is to get drafted by a contending team like the Thunder, and be given the space/time/opportunities to get better. If a bad team picks him up, he might end up back overseas because he's not ready to play in the NBA yet. His floor could be pretty low if he gets put in the wrong playing/training situations. Basically he needs work across the board.

But, upside is pretty sick. Giant hands, great length, supposedly above average vision, fair athleticism. If he's trained by the right team as a defensive presence-- he could be excellent as just a great man to man defender with his gifts.
suspect
Junior
And1: 4

Post#23 » by suspect » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:22 pm

He is the youngest player in the NBA Draft, born december 94. (almost 1995).

He went from being an illegal immigrant in Greece, to one of the hottest NBA prospect. What a story.
Based on potential he is a top-10 pick.
I hope the team that drafts him brings him to the US, he will develop more there and adjust to the NBA game which fits him better.
There is nothing for him to learn in the European jump shooting leagues.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#24 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 pm

He shouldn't bulk up. He looks like a raw Kevin Durant with better defensive potential but with a bad jumper. He doesn't jump when shooting 3s and has a low release which is a catastrophe, but it's fixable. Definitely the highest ceiling in 2013 draft.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#25 » by ManualRam » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:22 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:He shouldn't bulk up. He looks like a raw Kevin Durant with better defensive potential but with a bad jumper. He doesn't jump when shooting 3s and has a low release which is a catastrophe, but it's fixable. Definitely the highest ceiling in 2013 draft.

he's 6'9 and sub 200 lbs. of course he needs to bulk up.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,705

Post#26 » by FinnTheHuman » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:27 pm

ManualRam wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:He shouldn't bulk up. He looks like a raw Kevin Durant with better defensive potential but with a bad jumper. He doesn't jump when shooting 3s and has a low release which is a catastrophe, but it's fixable. Definitely the highest ceiling in 2013 draft.

What I meant is that he shouldn't aim to be big. He will get his Durant amount of weight in a couple of years naturally by a typical gym weight training and not forcing mass, because he's only 18. And he shouldn't look to gain more than that.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#27 » by ManualRam » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:52 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

What I meant is that he shouldn't aim to be big. He will get his Durant amount of weight in a couple of years naturally by a typical gym weight training and not forcing mass, because he's only 18. And he shouldn't look to gain more than that.

i'll put it like this. durant, the thin durant that we know of, has about 40 lbs on giannis.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#28 » by sonictecture » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Or Giannis is 8lbs lighter than Noel, but has a perimeter game and won't have to play down low.

There are reasons to downgrade Giannis, but lack of weight isn't very high on the list for anyone considering drafting him.
Ikeizm
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#29 » by Ikeizm » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:53 am

If he's there for the Jazz at 21 i say take him. He's worth a gamble, especially since the Jazz are always just shy of ever landing the impact players.
Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 158

Post#30 » by Hoops Addict » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:23 pm

Of course the Jazz take him at 21.

Giannis is my Facebook friend.,........and it is ideal to pick him and let him play in Europe for 2-3 years.

I might take him at #14.......his value is somewhere around #16 to #18.........since the talent there is not the greatest. Boston will take him.

What is the earliest he will be picked?

I think picking him at #10 is a huge gamble........there are other very good players there.

I'd like to see him work out with some pro's before picking him. He is raw
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#31 » by Phenomenonsense » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:19 am

I post these from time to time on another site that I visit more regularly, but I figured I can post it here as well.

As you all know, or perhaps you don't, I tend to pick one player and do some draft report on them. I'm not sure about this one in particular, as there are so many question marks that I can't really find a good prospect that relates to the Pistons that doesn't already have extensive databases of knowledge on the kids. As a caveat, no one has really captured my imagination as others, such as Meyers Leonard and Jonas Valanciunas had in years past. Still, it's something i wanted to do even if I am lacking a bit of the passion I usually bring to the table. To keep things simple I'm going to break this down into four categories on one player: Strengths, Weaknesses, Intangibles, and Caveats.

As for who I'm picking this time around, I guess this person does not make much sense considering his current draft stock. He likely is outside of the top 15 range, and will also likely be gone before the second round, but I have an intuition that urges me forward. Something tells me that this kid will be picked up by the Pistons in this draft. I'm assuming the only way we get him is through trading back into the mid to late first. Without further ado, I give you Giannis A...whatever he eventually decides his last name is.

The following comes based off of several full length game footage, the most statistically impressive of which was a 35 point, 22 rebound, 3 block, 5 assist game.

Strengths

To start with, there is something that jumps off of the screen in every game: When Giannis gets in the open, or even not so open, court he is aggressive, he is fluid, and he gets to the rim or is fouled. He loves getting to the rim, and even when he doesn't get a good shot up, and on the rare occasion he doesn't seem to draw a foul, he does a somewhat awkward wrap-around pass or skip pass to open players. His per game stats nearly a 1:1 Ass-T.O. ratio doesn't tell the full story on his ability to pass when he wants to. There are more turnovers due to his team dropping the ball than him doing anything wrong.

He has handles similar to Durant, with a bit of awkward length that is still somehow smooth. (Not that I am comparing the two whatsoever). He looked to crash the offensive glass when shots were in the air, and he looked to shoot off of the dribble if the defense sagged. He scored well, and he had some good defensive timings. If there was an open lane and he had the ball, it was almost guaranteed to be a dunk or layup. He cut hard and often.

Essentially there are some base skills to build off of, and with the right coaching, he can become an impressive offensive player with the length to bother shooters. He never looked more than 2 dribbles from the basket, but how that translates is anyone's guess.

Weaknesses

When a play is not called for him, and when he is not even so much as involved in a screen, he looks completely disinterested on the court, often floating within four feet of one area on the court simply watching the ball. Simply looking at the stats, he shot about 30ish percent of three point attempts, but I will say he looked to be taking them from NBA range more so than Fiba range more often than not. He took some ill advised shots, from too far behind even the NBA 3 point range, but the mechanics seem good enough.

He had the athleticism but, whether by design of the coaching staff or not, he did not hedge on screens defensively. There are some more obvious weaknesses that anyone can tell you about, like his strength, his blahblahblah. I think one of the most important aspects that permiates all other issues is whether or not he has the maturity to reach whatever potential he might have. His maturity in his understanding of the game, the maturity of his body, the maturity of work ethic will all be critical, and I always err on the side of doubt when it comes to European prospects. He's walked back on defense and let 4 of his teammates battle for rebounds against taller kids until the other team finally scored.

Intangibles

He looks to be one of the best playmakers this team would have, at least potentially. His teammates looked completely more alive when he was on the court versus when he was off of the court. I'm not sure if that was a result of the different plays being called when he was out there, or if it was simply because the team as a whole seemed to make more shots, which in turn made them want to be more engaged. There were points when he drew a triple team, but he seemed to make the open pass, even if he did seem a bit flustered by 6 hands.

Caveats

The kids he's playing with what look like high school kids, if that. When you look at the numbers 35-22-3-5, that's not indicative of anything he could do at the college level. His athleticism and size are of sheer dominance levels when compared to those of his peers at this level. By the eye test, he is easily the tallest player on the court, he is the quickest kid on the court, and he should honestly be dominating far more than he is even during great games. He looks like a Durant at this level, but who can tell how that will translate to the NBA level. Everything that is good about what he does needs to be put into perspective, and everything that is wrong is magnified 40 fold. I mean, it looked as though this kid was one of 3 players on the field that could actually dunk.

If you put a kid like this on the Spurs, who knows how good of a prospect you might have. If you put him on the Pistons, his ceiling might be the current Anthony Randolph. Unfortunately this is not a prospect I could feel confident in drafting with the Piston's abysmal development of potential.

Afterthought
The reason I picked this kid is obviously due to my gut feeling that he might be in a piston's uniform, but also the recent relationship between the Pistons and Greece. The Pistons have had many people evaluating Greek talent for a while now.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#32 » by King Ken » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:13 am

I reviewed a lot of posts on Giannis and no one was really down on him. Many felt he had the highest ceiling. Odd to see him fall to #15 with that being known by even blog scouts.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#33 » by UcanUwill » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:32 pm

King Ken wrote:I reviewed a lot of posts on Giannis and no one was really down on him. Many felt he had the highest ceiling. Odd to see him fall to #15 with that being known by even blog scouts.

I remember right before the draft he played for Greece U20 team, and he had zero point games, level that most NBA star prospects destroy. Giannis is just made for the NBA, look how average he looked in FIBA this year, if he never played in the NBA and you only knew him from Euro ball, you would call meh him honestly.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#34 » by Stillwater » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:44 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
King Ken wrote:I reviewed a lot of posts on Giannis and no one was really down on him. Many felt he had the highest ceiling. Odd to see him fall to #15 with that being known by even blog scouts.

I remember right before the draft he played for Greece U20 team, and he had zero point games, level that most NBA star prospects destroy. Giannis is just made for the NBA, look how average he looked in FIBA this year, if he never played in the NBA and you only knew him from Euro ball, you would call meh him honestly.

everyone slept on antetokounmpo idk who the **** this adetokunbo kid is
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
rate_
Analyst
And1: 8,181

Post#35 » by rate_ » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:37 pm

^^ Antetokounmpo is the grecianized form of Adetokunbo, which is a popular Yoruba surname in Nigeria. Bam Adebayo has a similar surname. Ade- means crown I believe. Ola- (e.g Oladipo, Olajuwon) is another popular Yoruba surname in Nigeria.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#36 » by King Ken » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:45 pm

rate_ wrote:^^ Antetokounmpo is the grecianized form of Adetokunbo, which is a popular Yoruba surname in Nigeria. Bam Adebayo has a similar surname. Ade- means crown I believe. Ola- (e.g Oladipo, Olajuwon) is another popular Yoruba surname in Nigeria.

His father is Yoruba, his mother is Igbo. He speaks some Igbo and can fluently hear it.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#37 » by nolang1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:57 pm

It's just NBA GM self-preservation logic where if you draft the international guy and he busts, you're on your own whereas any college star who busts has you less likely to get ripped by Bill Simmons or whichever other hack. I mean, Luka slid 5 years after Giannis due to similar 'lack of competition' concerns while he was playing for a team that had more talent than NBA bottomfeeders, so it was pretty much purely a function of 'he's playing against D3 type of competition.'
King Ken
General Manager

Post#38 » by King Ken » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:54 am

nolang1 wrote:

It's just NBA GM self-preservation logic where if you draft the international guy and he busts, you're on your own whereas any college star who busts has you less likely to get ripped by Bill Simmons or whichever other hack. I mean, Luka slid 5 years after Giannis due to similar 'lack of competition' concerns while he was playing for a team that had more talent than NBA bottomfeeders, so it was pretty much purely a function of 'he's playing against D3 type of competition.'

Luka was heavily scouted and those teams had great reports on him. For him, it was always about long term potential but Giannis was much different. I really think a lot of people just couldn't project. Danny Ainge said it himself. How can you project a 6'9 190 raw kid who will become a 7ft 240 man. He was extremely raw, I watched his games as a rookie and him and Dennis S were the worst players I've seen in years as rookies. I knew they would get better but Giannis just never stopped. Even on the Bucks board, the name that kept coming up was Josh Smith during his earlier years.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,244

Post#39 » by UcanUwill » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:00 am

nolang1 wrote:

Luka made all Eurobasket team and dominated actual NBA players. It wasnt lack of competition, everyone by now knows Eurobasket, Euroleague and ACB is lighyears ahead of college, as said, it was just lack of faith of his ultimate ceiling.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,045

Post#40 » by The-Power » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am

UcanUwill wrote:I remember right before the draft he played for Greece U20 team, and he had zero point games, level that most NBA star prospects destroy. Giannis is just made for the NBA, look how average he looked in FIBA this year, if he never played in the NBA and you only knew him from Euro ball, you would call meh him honestly.

This narrative has to stop. He did not look ‘average’ and the only reason people view it like that is that he couldn't reproduce his crazy NBA MVP numbers – which probably had more to do with the team he was on than FIBA basketball per se.

Return to NBA Draft