ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,689

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1861 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:24 am

reload141 wrote:Really wish we got Herro :cry:

Hoping Romeo pans out

Going to bet the Edwards pick had something to do with not getting Herro

Team needed to draft at least one shooter I guess, since Romeo isn't a great one or anything

Also sucks even more that Herro went to the Heat, and Pat the Rat
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1862 » by Triple7 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 am

The Comedian wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I doubt that he'll be totally outside of the Rotation.
I do think that Kanter will be a solid for coming off the Bench, by Midseason.

I agree. Kanter would be solid off the bench. Plus he’s probably our best post up player, and he rebounds well. I think he still gets tons of playing time, regardless on whether he starts or not.

What constitutes tons of playing time? I'd bet he is around 20 mpg, maybe 25 at most.

I think more like close to 30mpg. We don’t have any post up player other than him. Theis has no inside game, and RWill will foul out if he plays more than 15mins. Poirier is still a question mark.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1863 » by Ernest » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:20 pm

Let's keep an eye on Smart this year with the idea of him being the future starting point guard on our next title team. A really gutzy move by Ainge would be to trade Walker midseason for a big.

No knock on Walker. I only watch Cs games so I have no opinion on him yet. Need 30 games. But I've been sold on Smart as a top level player for 2 years now. Let's see if I'm proven right or wrong on that one.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#1864 » by Dannyboy36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:31 pm

Ernest wrote:Let's keep an eye on Smart this year with the idea of him being the future starting point guard on our next title team. A really gutzy move by Ainge would be to trade Walker midseason for a big.

No knock on Walker. I only watch Cs games so I have no opinion on him yet. Need 30 games. But I've been sold on Smart as a top level player for 2 years now. Let's see if I'm proven right or wrong on that one.

I don’t want Smart as a starting point guard but I wondered to myself if Kemba may be traded in the future to get a big. I don’t trust Smart to stay in prime shape to stick in front of quick point guards and with the damage he does by not being an offensive threat I don’t think he’s worth the trade off. I really like him as a backup though. I looked up and down rosters recently and I didn’t see a Kemba for big trade that i thought would benefit both teams. Maybe in the future. It’s just easier to find another pg than a talented big dude.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Post#1865 » by chrisab123 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Ernest wrote:Let's keep an eye on Smart this year with the idea of him being the future starting point guard on our next title team. A really gutzy move by Ainge would be to trade Walker midseason for a big.

Replace Gutzy with stupid and I agree with you. What big would you be looking to swap for Kemba? Also how would the Celtics deal with the fallout of trading someone who just signed here? The Celtics already fight an uphill battle trying to get top free agents. Imagine trading him half way through the 1st season? That would be an awful look.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#1866 » by keevsnick1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Triple7 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
I agree. Kanter would be solid off the bench. Plus he’s probably our best post up player, and he rebounds well. I think he still gets tons of playing time, regardless on whether he starts or not.

What constitutes tons of playing time? I'd bet he is around 20 mpg, maybe 25 at most.

I think more like close to 30mpg. We don’t have any post up player other than him. Theis has no inside game, and RWill will foul out if he plays more than 15mins. Poirier is still a question mark.

I would be shocked if Kanter played 30 minutes a game. He has had one season in which he played more than 26.7 minutes a game, that was 14-15 when he split time between OKC and Utah, he's been pretty much 21-26 ever since. He is so bad defensively that playing him 30 minutes virtual guarantees you have a bad defense. It Looks like Theis is gonna be primary starter which also limits plying time somewhat, and we have other guys to give us offense.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#1867 » by Ernest » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:22 pm

chrisab123 wrote:

Replace Gutzy with stupid and I agree with you. What big would you be looking to swap for Kemba? Also how would the Celtics deal with the fallout of trading someone who just signed here? The Celtics already fight an uphill battle trying to get top free agents. Imagine trading him half way through the 1st season? That would be an awful look.

Yeah, sure maybe. I've heard that argument a lot over the years about a lot of players. End of the day its a business. When you sign someone you are not saying they will play for you all the years they sign. You are saying you agree to pay. I think your argument does hold some water though, but I can't think of a FA turning down money from a team because the team traded someone else quickly. But there probably are cases. My point isn't about Walker, but about my opinion that Smart should defiantly be an NBA starter at the 1 spot. I guess we dissagree there, but I think this season may change your mind. Or maybe Smart will wet the bed and change my mind. We will see.
Ernest
Sixth Man

Post#1868 » by Ernest » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:26 pm

Wild idea so close to the thread getting locked: Start Tacko for the first 2-3 minutes of each quarter and feed him the ball. Of course there are negatives to this but it could be great at getting other teams into early foul trouble. We have 45 days right? Thats more than enough time to tell if this wild experiment has any merit.

Other notes: We have no other 5 we'd be displacing. Who's gonna get mad?

It couldn't be worse that Pitino's press all the time idea.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1869 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:28 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

I would be shocked if Kanter played 30 minutes a game. He has had one season in which he played more than 26.7 minutes a game, that was 14-15 when he split time between OKC and Utah, he's been pretty much 21-26 ever since. He is so bad defensively that playing him 30 minutes virtual guarantees you have a bad defense. It Looks like Theis is gonna be primary starter which also limits plying time somewhat, and we have other guys to give us offense.

If Kanter plays close to 30 mpg, the team is losing 40+ games. Luckily, he won't play nearly that much.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#1870 » by Triple7 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:32 pm

There is no way Smart would be good enough to start for a contender. He’s a 6th man at best for a championship team. Replacing kemba, an all nba player, with smart for the starting pg is just stupid. Not really a knock on Smart, but he’s just a role player. You can’t trust him to hit an open shot when it counts, and his playmaking skills are just average, though you could see his improvements on those aspects.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#1871 » by Triple7 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:40 pm

keevsnick1 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Yup i agree, 30mins would be an exaggeration. It’s just that our bigs are pretty terrible. I think i’ll puke if Theis ends up being our primary starter. I think we will beg to trade one of hayward or Brown for a big, if we want to compete this season.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#1872 » by snowman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:01 am

ok, just gonna put this out here:

Carsen Edwards reminds me of a IT4 with much better defense
Tremont Waters reminds me of Kyrie Irving with much better defense, and a heart.
Javonte Green reminds me of a younger Marcus Smart with better offense
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,316

Post#1873 » by Gant » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:14 am

snowman wrote:ok, just gonna put this out here:

Tremont Waters reminds me of Kyrie Irving with much better defense, and a heart.

Almost all a parody of true, except this- Javonte Green is older than Marcus Smart.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1874 » by 100proof » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:08 pm

I would like to see a couple of players get packaged in a deal for a single player.

Wannamaker and Semi for Thon Maker?

Perhaps a deal for Christian Wood?
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#1875 » by snowman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Gant wrote:

Almost all a parody of true, except this- Javonte Green is older than Marcus Smart.

I stand corrected sir, but you get my meaning.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,316

Post#1876 » by Gant » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 pm

snowman wrote:
Gant wrote:

I stand corrected sir, but you get my meaning.

Yeah I wasn't trying to nitpick. It's surprising how age advanced some of the Celtic rookies are. Yours was a good post.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,652

Post#1877 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:05 pm

100proof wrote:I would like to see a couple of players get packaged in a deal for a single player.

Wanamaker isn't eligible to be traded until mid-December. So that's a no-go.
100proof
Starter

Post#1878 » by 100proof » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:07 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
100proof wrote:I would like to see a couple of players get packaged in a deal for a single player.

well, deal wouldnt need to happen until then involving him.

Semi can be dealt at any time.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,652

Post#1879 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:11 pm

100proof wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

My bad. I thought this was still in connection with wanting to keep both Green and Strus on the team.

A 2-for-1 in December could open up a spot for Waters to join the mother team though.
100proof
Starter

Post#1880 » by 100proof » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:29 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
100proof wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Wanamaker isn't eligible to be traded until mid-December. So that's a no-go.

My bad. I thought this was still in connection with wanting to keep both Green and Strus on the team.

A 2-for-1 in December could open up a spot for Waters to join the mother team though.

in an ideal world I would still like to see a 2-1 happen now.

Semi would be 1, not sure as to who the second could be though. I guess you could try and either sell low on Langford, or trade Maten (his contract is listed as tradeable on ESPN)

ie: semi and maten for Maker or wood.

opens a spot for Green.

Return to Boston Celtics