ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

bigtimeRC3
Pro Prospect
And1: 571

Re: OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA 

Post#261 » by bigtimeRC3 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:10 pm

It’s almost impossible to be free because ordinary people at the end of the day are too stupid. They will just listen to whoever they worship and watch garbage Hollywood movies to tell them how to eat sleep and drink and act in society .
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#262 » by cgmw » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:33 pm

aq_ua wrote:In other words, if moral high ground were the minimum requirement to point out blatant faults in others, we’d have a society with pretty much no oversight. Strange arguments seem the norm now.

The honest answer would have been:

“Sorry, I will not speak freely of my personal political beliefs because I value and enjoy the benefits of continued employment—including my house, my kids’ tuition, my family vacations, and my ever-growing retirement fund.”

Instead Kerr’s lies risk proselytizing younger/ less-educated listeners into dismissing social issues in China.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#263 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:34 pm

god shammgod wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
god shammgod wrote:one day you all are gonna have to wake up and realize everyone is a hypocrite in the right circumstance.

You're not really equalizing Trump and, let's say, Bernie? Or Gandhi and Hitler?

how the hell did you get that from what i said ? of course not

The reason he asked you is the Alt-Right Trumpist method of debate is to always deflect blame by playing the What About ________? (usually Hillary) game.

This is a variation of using false equivalencies to bulldoze any argument into rubble. For example, the favorite response of Trump supporters now is that all politicians are corrupt, so what's the difference between Trump and all the rest of them?

And there is a huge problem when citizens buy into that kind of reasoning, because it essentially flattens everything so nothing can be analyzed on its own merits.

So when you have an administration that is strictly functioning to line its pockets, there is a huge distinction between the level of corruption we're seeing presently and the corruption of past administrations. The difference is staggering and endangers the checks and balances of our government if no one is held accountable any longer, because hey everybody does it.

So I understand your saying everybody is a hypocrite in specific contexts was probably meant on the level of human nature, but if you throw around those observations these days too glibly you're just contributing to the growth of false equivalencies and the inability to distinguish between right and wrong on a case by case basis.

Not coming at you by saying this, just explaining the greater context for Wingo's point, because our society is at a tipping point due to the growing inability of the general pop to distinguish levels of misconduct.

To be fair, you were commenting about what some guy working for a team said to the media about China, so I understand he is not China or Trump or Clinton, etc., but the idea of everybody does something wrong or says something hypocritical sometimes has been perverted lately to justify anything no matter how awful it is. Moral relativism is one of the biggest issues we're facing today and most of us don't have the language to discuss it properly.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#264 » by matchman » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:52 am

There will be a gathering in Central within 10 mins supporting United States pushing the Hong Kong Democratic and Human Rights Act.

Senator Ted Cruz and Hawley could be present as guests, stay tuned.
Are you fans of the team or the player?
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Post#265 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:06 pm

T
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,441

Post#266 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
god shammgod wrote:one day you all are gonna have to wake up and realize everyone is a hypocrite in the right circumstance.

You're not really equalizing Trump and, let's say, Bernie? Or Gandhi and Hitler?

Sanders is a hypocrite.

Ok, I'll bite. Go ahead.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,441

Post#267 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

how the hell did you get that from what i said ? of course not

The reason he asked you is the Alt-Right Trumpist method of debate is to always deflect blame by playing the What About ________? (usually Hillary) game.

This is a variation of using false equivalencies to bulldoze any argument into rubble. For example, the favorite response of Trump supporters now is that all politicians are corrupt, so what's the difference between Trump and all the rest of them?

And there is a huge problem when citizens buy into that kind of reasoning, because it essentially flattens everything so nothing can be analyzed on its own merits.

So when you have an administration that is strictly functioning to line its pockets, there is a huge distinction between the level of corruption we're seeing presently and the corruption of past administrations. The difference is staggering and endangers the checks and balances of our government if no one is held accountable any longer, because hey everybody does it.

So I understand your saying everybody is a hypocrite in specific contexts was probably meant on the level of human nature, but if you throw around those observations these days too glibly you're just contributing to the growth of false equivalencies and the inability to distinguish between right and wrong on a case by case basis.

Not coming at you by saying this, just explaining the greater context for Wingo's point, because our society is at a tipping point due to the growing inability of the general pop to distinguish levels of misconduct.

To be fair, you were commenting about what some guy working for a team said to the media about China, so I understand he is not China or Trump or Clinton, etc., but the idea of everybody does something wrong or says something hypocritical sometimes has been perverted lately to justify anything no matter how awful it is. Moral relativism is one of the biggest issues we're facing today and most of us don't have the language to discuss it properly.

:thumbsup:
Free Palestine
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,374

Post#268 » by god shammgod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:58 am

while there are obliviously degrees of it, in the right circumstance....everyone is a hypocrite

Read on Twitter
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#269 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:03 am

god shammgod wrote:while there are obliviously degrees of it, in the right circumstance....everyone is a hypocrite

Read on Twitter

Wow, SMH @ Lebron. I guess the people of Hong Kong don't pay his bills
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#270 » by god shammgod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:20 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
god shammgod wrote:while there are obliviously degrees of it, in the right circumstance....everyone is a hypocrite

Read on Twitter

yeah, it's pathetic. there is no other way to describe it.
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#271 » by GONYK » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 am

Lebron has always been spineless and self-serving in pretty much every circumstance.

This is no different.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,206

Post#272 » by mpharris36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 am

GONYK wrote:Lebron has always been spineless and self-serving in pretty much every circumstance.

This is no different.

im sorry he's a complete hypocrite...I guess these actually oppressed people of china don't get his same respect....yikes...all about the Benjamin's when its convenient to you I guess...

this is not a good look for the NBA...they might go down the road of the NFL where they are going to have to do some major soul searching or they might alienate a large portion of there fan base.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#273 » by god shammgod » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:43 am

didn't they do the math and figure out that, if china completely pulled out of the nba, all it basically would do is return to salaries commensurate with the last cba ?
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,139

Post#274 » by Fat Kat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:46 am

Read on Twitter

All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#275 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:04 am

So the NBA is comprised of a bunch of self serving, fraudulent, morally bankrupt 1%ers huh? Why I Never Woulda...

Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
GIMME_DATT
Veteran
And1: 1,739

Post#276 » by GIMME_DATT » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 am

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1183940531870666758&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231183940531870666758
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#277 » by mpharris36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:12 am

Read on Twitter

a difficult week huh....wonder how all those oppressed in China right now feel about LeBrons "difficult" week.

Clown show

ROSTER

mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#278 » by mpharris36 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:14 am

Read on Twitter

ROSTER

Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#279 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:20 am

god shammgod wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Read on Twitter

yeah, it's pathetic. there is no other way to describe it.

You're right to post that as an example of hypocrisy, but it feels like it goes even further. Lecturing people on the spiritual value of their words when he's just code talking about don't mess with my money, I mean damn, really? This guy is so selfish. He's made so much money already, I just have no words for the contempt I feel for Lebron right now. I'd respect him more if he just came right out and said F HK, there's money at stake
watchmen77
Bench Warmer
And1: 27

Post#280 » by watchmen77 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:21 am

cgmw wrote:
aq_ua wrote:In other words, if moral high ground were the minimum requirement to point out blatant faults in others, we’d have a society with pretty much no oversight. Strange arguments seem the norm now.

The honest answer would have been:

“Sorry, I will not speak freely of my personal political beliefs because I value and enjoy the benefits of continued employment—including my house, my kids’ tuition, my family vacations, and my ever-growing retirement fund.”

Instead Kerr’s lies risk proselytizing younger/ less-educated listeners into dismissing social issues in China.

well, who cares? maybe it is best to let Chinese deal with their own issues while we deal with ours? Already approved by facts, that many time when we try to get involved with other people's issues, their home burned to ground.
So just let them be and maybe, just maybe, we can live in a better world.
What's sad to me is that we could have had them BOTH. Harvard learning from one of the GOAT.

Now we have Fat learning from Drunk.

Return to New York Knicks