Nugs salaries force big Trades 

Post#1 » by Coeur » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:27 am

•Cornerstones. Keepers
Jokic and Murray 55 million

•Veteran Role players GH/ThrillBarton/Millsap/Plumlee 75 M

•Contract year
Beasley/TC/Hernangomez/Grant 15 M

•value deals
MonteM/cancar/Vanderbilt/Bolbol(dozier/BG)

*Vets: that 75 drops down to 30 with Millsap and Plumlee expiring. But Plumlee is such a need that it’s almost certain he gets another long term deal at 10per or more. Millsap coming back at 5 is also possible if they were to actually let him expire without trading that slot. So it’s likey 47-50 still the following year.

* expiring contracts: vets going from 75 down to 50 gives 25 + the 15= 40. How many of Beasley/Grant/TC/Hernangomez can that bring back? (I’m worried it might be 40 just for Grant and Beasley). Prob get tc or hernangomez in there too??

*value deals: I believe Vanderbilt could and Bolbol/Cancar possibly could step into roles in the rotation similar too the expiring contract guys. Monte Morris obviously already established to that point. I believe in the scouting ability of the Nugs to the point of thinking Dozier or Goodwin will grow into almost MM value throughout the season. These are the 4 or 5 guys that could be key to keeping as many of the big money guys as possible together.

Can you pay 10 guys big multi year deals?

What is the right way to deal with a roster too deep but that still needs top 3-4 pieces to a title contender?
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Re: Nugs salaries force big Trades 

Post#2 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:48 am

It seems ironic that you are talking about the Nuggets forced to make big trades because of salaries - since you've been screaming about bringing in a massive contract all off-season.

1. The Nuggets have a lot of good players.
2. If they don't trade some during the season, they are going to have problems (and still might have problems depending on what they bring back in any trade(s) ).
3. I'm content with waiting with this team until the end of the season. Perhaps we lose a player or two because of salaries but better that than trading away a young player that ends up with serious star status.

I suspect the Nuggets feel the same way.
Powder Blue
Analyst
And1: 642

Post#3 » by Powder Blue » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:07 pm

Def have to see how the roster looks this season before talking trades.

Extending Beasley and subtracting Barton and his deal would be a great start....but instead, we're gonna start Barton :banghead:
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Powder Blue wrote:Def have to see how the roster looks this season before talking trades.

Extending Beasley and subtracting Barton and his deal would be a great start....but instead, we're gonna start Barton :banghead:

Look at it as were showcasing him :wink:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#5 » by Coeur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Yeah to tell the truth it get harder and harder to see fitting Wiggins in. Keep in mind in all Wiggins trades I had multiple cost controlled value pieces coming in with him for multiple big contracts going out.

Wiggins ideas for me all started w getting Brandon Clarke in the draft. Nugs got 9 million dollar expirer instead for that role in Grant.

I still contend that 1 26 mill deal in Wiggins is better than 30 for Barton and harris but that’s in a vacuum and not really right without the front court changes too

I do think that you have some cost controlling measure that could be taken for the few fa’s that they do want back. My example is predict the difference in Grant salary if he’s 7th man this season or if he’s 4th guy. You have Aaron Gordon at 19 mill and grants going to come back long term closer to 10 per year. I think Grant takes over for millsap and it’s going to cost 20 just to keep Grant long term.

A center on a rookie deal I think could keep plumlee next deal st 8-10 instead of closer to 15 ?
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by Coeur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Wiggins, Covington, Teague, Gallinari, 2020 Denver pick back to Denver
For
Millsap, Gary Harris, Barton, monte Morris, Beasley, hernangomez
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by Coeur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:28 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:It seems ironic that you are talking about the Nuggets forced to make big trades because of salaries - since you've been screaming about bringing in a massive contract all off-season.

1. The Nuggets have a lot of good players.
2. If they don't trade some during the season, they are going to have problems (and still might have problems depending on what they bring back in any trade(s) ).
3. I'm content with waiting with this team until the end of the season. Perhaps we lose a player or two because of salaries but better that than trading away a young player that ends up with serious star status.

I suspect the Nuggets feel the same way.

You’ve never seen me putting MpJ or Vanderbilt in trade ideas. And only recently Beasley

You’ve been scared of trading guys you know exactly what you have in Harris, millsP and Barton’s.

It’s ok to lose a few guys at the end??? That’s because you’re pretending those guys will be hernangomez and Craig. The guys that will walk for nothing is Grant and Beasley. Thats why you get harris and Barton contracts off the books. You should prefer picking your top 3 fa’s to keep instead of just taking the only ones you can afford. And then maybe overpaying them.

Remember when Boston had all the trade possibilities in the world and never did. Then they went to a spot where they don’t have a tradeable roster anymore without throwing it all out of whack.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by Coeur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:30 pm

I’d say totally understandable to keep everyone together and make a run if this roster was a realistic title contender. But it’s short top 3 and 4 type guys and has 9-11 guys that can fit 5-9 in a championship rotation.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Coeur wrote:I’d say totally understandable to keep everyone together and make a run if this roster was a realistic title contender. But it’s short top 3 and 4 type guys and has 9-11 guys that can fit 5-9 in a championship rotation.

and yet many of the national media predict the Nuggets as winning the West (and struggling in the playoffs) - sounds like we're in good shape
skywalker33

Post#10 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:19 am

Coeur wrote:Wiggins, Covington, Teague, Gallinari, 2020 Denver pick back to Denver
For

Interesting, you start this thread on the premise that the Nuggets are forced to make trades based on SALARY CONCERNS, yet in this trade we add over $13M more to our cap :crazy:

This just make me think all this thread was about was to put out this version of your favorite trade, which will never happen and VERY FEW will agree with....but you keep trying to no avail.

Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by Coeur » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:47 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
Coeur wrote:I’d say totally understandable to keep everyone together and make a run if this roster was a realistic title contender. But it’s short top 3 and 4 type guys and has 9-11 guys that can fit 5-9 in a championship rotation.

and yet many of the national media predict the Nuggets as winning the West (and struggling in the playoffs) - sounds like we're in good shape

Good shape is a great regular season team? That’s you. I want to see a competitive team in the playoffs.

I believe Nugs will get the 1 seed. Top 3 at worst. But prob struggle getting out of second round of playoffs if you are wanting Gary Harris to be your 3rd best player.
Coeur
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Coeur » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:52 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
Coeur wrote:Wiggins, Covington, Teague, Gallinari, 2020 Denver pick back to Denver
For

Interesting, you start this thread on the premise that the Nuggets are forced to make trades based on SALARY CONCERNS, yet in this trade we add over $13M more to our cap :crazy:

This just make me think all this thread was about was to put out this version of your favorite trade, which will never happen and VERY FEW will agree with....but you keep trying to no avail.

You don’t see 2 expiring deals ?

Yeah it’s funny to watch you guys complain about trades that would be great for Nugs. But this was about showing there’s very little ways to bring Wiggins in that doesn’t get tight long term. This trade had Covington coming (great value) and a guy you could prob bring back at more than 10 mill less (Teague) and even Gallinari could be brought back for less
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Coeur wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:

Good shape is a great regular season team? That’s you. I want to see a competitive team in the playoffs.

I believe Nugs will get the 1 seed. Top 3 at worst. But prob struggle getting out of second round of playoffs if you are wanting Gary Harris to be your 3rd best player.

:confused: You think I'm just looking at a "great regular season team"? That's crazy. First off, I never said that. Secondly, if we are to finish first in the West as I predicted in the prediction thread (See viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1896387); and if you consider the competition in the West, just to finish in the top-4 will be an achievement. The team that can do that will have matured and developed and become a contender.

Finally, I have said Harris was our third best player in the past and if he returns to form of the year before last, he still may be our third best player. I'd say last year that slot was filled by Millsap and this year our third best player could be any of the following: Millsap, Grant, Porter, Harris, Beasley, Morris. But if the difference between third best and sixth best is very small, I'm not concerned even in the playoffs.
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Coeur wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
For

You don’t see 2 expiring deals ?

Yeah it’s funny to watch you guys complain about trades that would be great for Nugs. But this was about showing there’s very little ways to bring Wiggins in that doesn’t get tight long term. This trade had Covington coming (great value) and a guy you could prob bring back at more than 10 mill less (Teague) and even Gallinari could be brought back for less

I see you adding $13M THIS year putting us into the luxury tax, getting us a very expensive backup at SF (either Covington or Gallo), descimating our bench and replacing all our SG's with an overpaid, no-defense, inefficient Wiggins....just because you're in love with the dude. You make delusional claims, overpay and make our roster imbalanced financially....

Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#15 » by Mac1958 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 pm

We'd be one of the few teams in the league who'd be willing to give up value for Wiggins.

No thanks. There's a lot more to the game than ppg, and we score plenty.
SkillzFromThe6
Junior
And1: 355

Post#16 » by SkillzFromThe6 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Nuggets receive:
Robert Covington

Timberwolves receive:
Will Barton
Juan Hernangomez

Y'all agree or nah?
skywalker33

Post#17 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:38 am

SkillzFromThe6 wrote:Nuggets receive:
Robert Covington

Timberwolves receive:
Will Barton
Juan Hernangomez

Y'all agree or nah?

I think I could get behind this....but doing deals with division rivals doesn't always work out for us.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 am

skywalker33 wrote:
SkillzFromThe6 wrote:Nuggets receive:
Robert Covington

Timberwolves receive:
Will Barton
Juan Hernangomez

Y'all agree or nah?

I think I could get behind this....but doing deals with division rivals doesn't always work out for us.

I'd like it but I don't think it's necessary and I certainly doubt Minnesota is interested. They're rebuilding so they will want 1sts and high potential youth.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#19 » by Mac1958 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:30 pm

I'm all for a two/three-for-one-type trade that brings in a higher level of talent at the expense of some depth, but I sure am curious to see what we have with MPJ.

I'm thinking this guy is an above-average NBA starting 3 extremely soon, and that there's plenty of room for growth. Maybe I'm in the minority on that, and who knows about his health.

And with Grant on the roster now, I'm wondering what teams might be interested in taking Millsap's expiring as part of our thinning-out strategy. It's not like he's dead weight.
skywalker33

Post#20 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Mac1958 wrote: I'm wondering what teams might be interested in taking Millsap's expiring as part of our thinning-out strategy. It's not like he's dead weight.

Well, Millsap is an expiring and we can use his salary cap slot to pay guys like Grant and Beasley next year. If we trade we'd have to take back some salary anyway and not sure that'd bode well in the long run

Return to Denver Nuggets