The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Re: The 2019-2020 LeBron James thread 

Post#161 » by nzahir » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:59 am

Any trades LAL can realistically make past Dec 15?
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#162 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:07 am

JVL wrote:Ah yes, it’s the customary preseason “Lebron is done” discussion.

Oit of curiosity, how long do you think most people have been saying that?

I mean he had that weird stretch in 2015 where he looked pretty human before that Miami trip. But other than that, it wasnt until really a year or so ago that people were seriously considering him not being at the top of the NBA. I know I wasnt.
I think curry had a better year minus the playoffs in 2016 but I think LeBron was pretty clearly the best overall player from 2009-2017.

Done is just another level altogether.
Carmelo is "done"....and probably was two years ago in OKC. I dont think LeBron will ever look like that in the NBA. So by that standard few people think that.

Maybe you mean done as the best player or as an elite level player or something. I do see people saying that now but I dont recall this kind of chatter before 2018 when he blatantly stopped playing regular defense.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
toodles23
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,444

Post#163 » by toodles23 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:50 am

SeniorWalker wrote:

I mean he had that weird stretch in 2015 where he looked pretty human before that Miami trip. But other than that, it wasnt until really a year or so ago that people were seriously considering him not being at the top of the NBA. I know I wasnt.
I think curry had a better year minus the playoffs in 2016 but I think LeBron was pretty clearly the best overall player from 2009-2017.

Carmelo is "done"....and probably was two years ago in OKC. I dont think LeBron will ever look like that in the NBA. So by that standard few people think that.

Maybe you mean done as the best player or as an elite level player or something. I do see people saying that now but I dont recall this kind of chatter before 2018 when he blatantly stopped playing regular defense.

Well this is literally JVL's signature:

Panty Raider wrote:This may be a bit of a knee jerk, but James is done.

-5th of November 2014 after the 3rd regular season game.
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,488

Post#164 » by Jazz9 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Saying that James is done is obviously stupid.
He's just not the best player in the league like he was until the 17/18 season imo but still one of the very best.
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#165 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:31 pm

toodles23 wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:

Well this is literally JVL's signature:

Panty Raider wrote:This may be a bit of a knee jerk, but James is done.

-5th of November 2014 after the 3rd regular season game.

I think that's the weird stretch I was referring to. And it was knee jerk. Lebron was only 30-31 then so it would have been a surprise to see a significant decline.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
Basileus777
General Manager
And1: 2,031

Post#166 » by Basileus777 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:40 pm

LeBron declining isn't a debate, it already happened last year. It's just a question of how long it'll take to see even more of a decline.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#167 » by D.Brasco » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:05 am

Basileus777 wrote:LeBron declining isn't a debate, it already happened last year. It's just a question of how long it'll take to see even more of a decline.

Every player declines it's just a question of how effective they still are.

2nd 3-peat Jordan was technically a declined version of 1st 3-peat Jordan but he was still pretty good.
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#168 » by Arman_tanzarian » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:47 am

Bron getting obliterated for his China comments. No way anyone on his PR team okayed him saying this stuff
ardee
RealGM
And1: 5,235

Post#169 » by ardee » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:30 am

Arman_tanzarian wrote:Bron getting obliterated for his China comments. No way anyone on his PR team okayed him saying this stuff
His PR team probably told him to say it in the first place. They don't care about American PR because everyone has a short memory here. They care about Chinese PR because they need to suck up to the CCP to make sure Nike stays on the shelves and Space Jam 2 stays in theaters.

Sent from my SM-A505F using RealGM mobile app
KTM_2813
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#170 » by KTM_2813 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:23 pm

Love LeBron as a player but often dislike the crap he says in interviews and on social media. Wish he stayed quiet on this one.
sansterre wrote:The success of a star's season is:

Individual performance + Teammate performance - Opposition +/- Luck
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#171 » by Gooner » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Arman_tanzarian wrote:Bron getting obliterated for his China comments. No way anyone on his PR team okayed him saying this stuff

They did, everything he says on topics like this is determined by NIKE. They were in lose-lose situation, and they just chose to side with the option with more money.
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#172 » by Arman_tanzarian » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Gooner wrote:

They did, everything he says on topics like this is determined by NIKE. They were in lose-lose situation, and they just chose to side with the option with more money.

Are there any sauces on this? How much money does he/Nike make off China vs say US?

On a side note, this is why I never bat for any of these guys honor. I only follow the player and separate the individual. MJ still my fav player of all time and this is despite knowing some of the scummy things he did. You have to as most of these guys are opportunists like 99% of the people would be as well in that situation. Now, this doesn't excuse what LeBron said at all, just that I am not surprised about where his allegiances lie.
Mazter
Sixth Man
And1: 768

Post#173 » by Mazter » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Arman_tanzarian wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Are there any sauces on this? How much money does he/Nike make off China vs say US?

On a side note, this is why I never bat for any of these guys honor. I only follow the player and separate the individual. MJ still my fav player of all time and this is despite knowing some of the scummy things he did. You have to as most of these guys are opportunists like 99% of the people would be as well in that situation. Now, this doesn't excuse what LeBron said at all, just that I am not surprised about where his allegiances lie.

From '09 to '19 Nike's revenues in Greater China are up from 1.7B to 6.2B.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#174 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Arman_tanzarian wrote:
Gooner wrote:

As ardee mentioned I think he is betting essentially that he isn’t going to lose any money in the U.S. market because political scandals barely last a news cycle here but he stood to lose a lot in the Chinese market.

So essentially it’s a choice between losing approx $0 vs hundreds of millions.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Basileus777
General Manager

Post#175 » by Basileus777 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 pm

I don't know why there was any choice to be made, all he had to do was avoid the question and he'd be fine in both markets. This doesn't really feel that calculated, he just had a bone to pick with Morey because he was in China when this broke and embarrassed by the whole situation and decided to talk about it.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#176 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Basileus777 wrote:I don't know why there was any choice to be made, all he had to do was avoid the question and he'd be fine in both markets. This doesn't really feel that calculated, he just had a bone to pick with Morey because he was in China when this broke and embarrassed by the whole situation and decided to talk about it.

Are you sure about this? You don’t think that by “smoothing things over” with his comments he helped ensure the NBA keeps doing business in China?

Teams were already preparing for a 15% loss of revenue in the wake of this scandal as soon as it broke.

China just displayed an enormous amount of soft power, that’s what people are missing in all this. They’ve shown the government can essentially demand whatever it wants and get it due to the enormous amount of money to be made off their populace.

The mere threat of losing the Chinese cash cow was enough to get the entire NBA to panic.
Basileus777
General Manager

Post#177 » by Basileus777 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Basileus777 wrote:I don't know why there was any choice to be made, all he had to do was avoid the question and he'd be fine in both markets. This doesn't really feel that calculated, he just had a bone to pick with Morey because he was in China when this broke and embarrassed by the whole situation and decided to talk about it.

Are you sure about this? You don’t think that by “smoothing things over” with his comments he helped ensure the NBA keeps doing business in China?

China just displayed an enormous amount of soft power, that’s what people are missing in all this. They’ve shown the government can essentially demand whatever it wants and get it due to the enormous amount of money to be made off their populace.

The mere threat of losing the Chinese cash cow was enough to get the entire NBA to panic.

I think the NBA would have rather this disappear from the news than get enflamed again because the biggest NBA star in the world decided to throw fuel on the fire right before the season is about to start. Like is anyone going to be surprised if a crowd chants Hong Kong when LeBron is on the line? Tencent will love that.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager

Post#178 » by Dr Spaceman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Basileus777 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

I think the NBA would have rather this disappear from the news than get enflamed again because the biggest NBA star in the world decided to throw fuel on the fire right before the season is about to start. Like is anyone going to be surprised if a crowd chants Hong Kong when LeBron is on the line? Tencent will love that.

Lebron calling Morey “misinformed”, whether mistaken or not, is the exact opposite of throwing fuel on the fire, at least as far as China is concerned. They can now pretend and tell their people that this is the majority view of the U.S. and that Morey was condemned by his own colleagues for speaking against China (which is exactly what they’re doing).

Don’t forget that the media in China serves the government. They can block people from knowing that lebron “corrected” his statement.

Lebron essentially just played the role of chief diplomat, whether intentionally or not. He’s placated the Chinese government. The issue is wherher they should be placated.
Basileus777
General Manager

Post#179 » by Basileus777 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:43 am

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Basileus777 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Lebron calling Morey “misinformed”, whether mistaken or not, is the exact opposite of throwing fuel on the fire, at least as far as China is concerned. They can now pretend and tell their people that this is the majority view of the U.S. and that Morey was condemned by his own colleagues for speaking against China (which is exactly what they’re doing).

Don’t forget that the media in China serves the government. They can block people from knowing that lebron “corrected” his statement.

Lebron essentially just played the role of chief diplomat, whether intentionally or not. He’s placated the Chinese government. The issue is wherher they should be placated.

Yeah, it does make for easy material to settle the matter on China's end. I just don't think the waves on this side of the ocean are over and those will still provoke further reaction. People are even less likely to forget this now that LeBron has associated himself with it. Hell, they'll keep it current just to antagonize him. James Harden kowtowing is one thing, people will forget about that. LeBron is just on a different level.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#180 » by PCProductions » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:56 am

Bron is woke as long as it doesn't cut into his shoe revenue. I guess we know how badly he wants to be a billionaire.

Return to Player Comparisons