ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#541 » by gambitx777 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:14 pm

The idea is that woods might get cut he might how, just an example . I understand that would be admitting that trade wasn't good but sometimes it's ok to say yeah in hind sight that wasn't great,we had some other plans that didn't pan out so it is what it is. We have enough young wings cutting miles or trading him for a big makes sense. I'll admit McRae and Chiozza looked good yesterday !
payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Where would we be right now if we didn't take a chance on Bryant ? I'm not saying cut a guy like bonga, or Jones or who ever but Jordan McRae and Ian , booth,chiozza and miles? For a guy like woods or fall, or some other promising young of or c that got cought up in a log jam. Yeah I think you do that. Not all those guys are going to look good and there will be some gold that gets through the siv on other team. We would be best off taking advantage . We need to keep playing that game to build assets.
payitforward wrote:In order to do what exactly? Win 34 games instead of 31? Plus, are you suggesting we cut a promising guard so that we can get a big cut from someone's training camp?

This is a rebuilding team. More & better young players is what we need. It doesn't matter what position they play. We're not furnishing a living room here; we aren't going to get rid of extra chairs to buy a sofa.

I'd cut Mahinmi in a minute in order to bring in Wood. I'd cut McRae for Wood too. Booth & Chiozza aren't going to be here. As to Miles, I'd cut him for Wood too.

But, 2 things:

1. Christian Wood is under contract in Detroit. If you want us to shop in the TC cut bin, you'll have to suggest some possible targets. Christian Wood isn't one of them.

2. We didn't have to acquire Miles in the first place -- we could just have cut Howard; it would have been cheaper. Cutting Miles now would make the trade for him look ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#542 » by gambitx777 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:26 pm

Ray Spalding cut by the Hawks. 22 decent size ok rebounder in the g league ? Work a look ?

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#543 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 9, 2019 12:39 am

Accurate? It's about as superficial as it could possibly be! Indicating almost zero research. & therefore trivial. The list is of every single player on our roster outside of Wall & Beal -- with the exception of Justin Robinson, & I'd be willing to bet that he's not there b/c they thought there was an editing mistake -- couldn't be both a Justin Anderson & a Justin Robinson.

We don't have "two-way guys," we just have one of them. & the only person left out is Garrison Mathews, not some number of "non-guaranteed contracts."

On the top of which, there is zero context provided: this is a rebuilding team. It's not setting out to compete this year. It's setting out to see which of its possibly 12 new players (!) turns out to be worth keeping around.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#544 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:37 pm

I just realized something that interested me....

Of the 19 guys we have under one or another kind of contract right now, 10 of them are either from the 2018 or 2019 draft class -- R1 picks, R2 picks, or guys who went undrafted one of those 2 years. 3 of them were R1 picks (Brown, Wagner, Rui), 2 were R2 picks (Bonga, Admiral) & 5 went undrafted (Chiozza, Jones, Booth, Robinson, Mathews).

1 guy is from 2017 (Bryant), no one is from 2016, 1 guy from 2015 (Anderson),1 guy from 2014 (McRae -- picked #58), no one from 2013, 1 from 2012 (Beal), 2 from 2011 (Bertans & IT), & 1 from 2010 (Wall). We also have 2 guys from the 2005 draft class (Mahinmi & Miles).

What does this mean? I have no idea. However, my wife & I are in DC, she's out shopping, & I'm having a coffee at a place on Wisconsin Avenue; with time on my hands, I provide you this kind of useless information!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#545 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:53 pm

payitforward wrote:2. We didn't have to acquire Miles in the first place -- we could just have cut Howard; it would have been cheaper. Cutting Miles now would make the trade for him look ridiculous.

I'm gonna suggest that the trade looks ridiculous whether the Wizards cut Miles or not. I thought it was a solid offseason and it's a minor move in the grand scheme of things but unless the Wizards find a way to add picks or something in a trade for Miles, keeping him around is basically just compounding the problem.
Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#546 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:17 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
payitforward wrote:2. We didn't have to acquire Miles in the first place -- we could just have cut Howard; it would have been cheaper. Cutting Miles now would make the trade for him look ridiculous.

I'm gonna suggest that the trade looks ridiculous whether the Wizards cut Miles or not. I thought it was a solid offseason and it's a minor move in the grand scheme of things but unless the Wizards find a way to add picks or something in a trade for Miles, keeping him around is basically just compounding the problem.

I meant that we wouldn't be likely to cut Miles at this point, b/c the trade would be made to look altogether silly (which, you are right, it was).

Remember that Tommy said it was "the fastest trade he'd ever made." It was his first move as GM, & I think it had the purpose of establishing distance from Ernie. In that sense I understand it, although simply waiving Howard would have sent the same message, come to think of it.

OTOH, if we do wind up trading him for picks, then the perspective changes somewhat! So... lets hope for that.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#547 » by gambitx777 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Simple way out is to cut miles with the excuse that, we wanted him as vet leadership. He got hurt and we don't want to waste a spot on dead money when we have so many promising young wing players. We didn't expect to get Justin Anderson, we didn't think Jones and Mathews would look this good. Blah blah blah. So we pay the guy his cash and he goes home and signs somewhere else when he gets back on his feet. No harm no fowl. Same with Ian and IT. We had intentions of keeping them for vet leadership but they got hurt. Pay them, wish them well and move on with the young healthy guys.

CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,114

Post#548 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:13 am

I just want to clarify, and I hope I stand for a substantial group here, I think you guys are overthinking the Cj Miles thing. Just tow centing.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#549 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:35 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:I just want to clarify, and I hope I stand for a substantial group here, I think you guys are overthinking the Cj Miles thing. Just two centing.

What do you mean by "overthinking?"

I'd say we're just "thinking it over." :)

After all... there's only so much time we can devote to analyzing our victory over the Loong Lions, right? :)
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,507

Post#550 » by closg00 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:49 pm

payitforward
RealGM

Post#551 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:13 pm

Wow... this guy is an idiot!
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#552 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:58 pm

This is interesting .. could they actually be cutting Mahinmi to add him?

Read on Twitter
?s=21
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,076

Post#553 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:27 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:This is interesting .. could they actually be cutting Mahinmi to add him?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter

Exhibit 10 means he can be demoted to a 2-way contract - which is likely going to be the case. It looks like Pasecniks is our second 2-way guy alongside Matthews.

That's interesting because there is no longer a 2-way slot available for Robinson or Chiozza. One (or both) will be cut outright.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#554 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:30 pm

By the way, he looks pretty awful in this footage:

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#555 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:44 pm

nate33 wrote:By the way, he looks pretty awful in this footage:

He was alright in the ACB last year, though not amazing. He really needs to get his fouling under control because he does that a lot. I'm okay giving him a chance. I'm not so tied down to any of these prospects that one is definitively ahead of the others so long as the Wizards are committed to trying to develop the ones they feel are the best bets for their situation - which is a dramatic turn from basically only ever trying to develop one player at most on the roster in any given season which the team routinely did under Ernie. Though I'm probably looking more forward to seeing if Bonga is able to adapt this season because the potential is obvious but he's got a lot to learn.

The other catch is that the Wizards don't have to turn the contract into a two-way, either. They can just cut him and then sign him to the Gogo and the exhibit 10 contract basically operates as a bonus at that point.
Bucket! Bucket!
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Post#556 » by Wizardspride » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#557 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I'm really surprised to see that Anderson was waived. Surely, we need him more than one of Robinson/Choizza.

I really thought Anderson looked like a legit 3&D forward who could match up defensively against some of the better wings while being a credible 3-point shooter.

Man, they're putting a lot of pressure on Troy Brown, CJ Miles and Admiral Schofield to guard good wing players.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#558 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Jones is a 27-year-old journeyman forward who played a total of 400 minutes in the last two seasons combined. I guess they think he's better than Justin Anderson.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#559 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:53 pm

Nvm, just saw that the plan is to add Pasecniks to the Go-Go

I believe Anderson was waived due to politics. They should have cut Justin Robinson and kept Chiozza, but probably didn't want to drop Robinson because of the relationship with his agent that steered him to DC. So we end up with 5 point guards on the roster , great
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#560 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:55 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:I believe Anderson was waived due to politics.

Please explain.

Return to Washington Wizards