ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Re: OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers) 

Post#1241 » by glenn » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm

It’s impressive how good Always Sunny can still be 14 seasons in.
:reporter:
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#1242 » by DingleJerry » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Yea Sunny is still going strong. Sure, some episodes now get a bit out there. But overall they're all still good and worth watching.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,723

Post#1243 » by emunney » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 pm

jimmybones wrote:
emunney wrote:Seriously, no Succession talk? That was an outrageously good episode.

I was loving season 2 but I’m a few episodes behind now. Is season 2 still going?

Any It’s Always Sunny lovers? They still got it if you ask me, Thunder Gun 4 was a great episode.

Season finale was last night. Series has been growing on me but I am all in on it now. I'm not sure how they managed to shock me with something that I was 100% certain would happen, but they did.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#1244 » by Iheartfootball » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Joker:

Spoiler:
I'm going to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and see what resonates with anyone else. Hard to say 'loved' after watching a movie with that narrative but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Joaquin Phoenix was incredible. The laugh/cry/cough when confronted with an affecting interaction (woman on the bus, guys on the train, his first stand-up set) worked perfectly for me. I was uncomfortable as a viewer and I want nothing more from art than to feel that at appropriate times. Develops perspective, objectivity, empathy; ultimately my consciousness grows because of it.

I love how he empties the refrigerator and enters it. I'm guessing he wants to isolate and feel something. He must have overwhelming shame and grief and his defenses will not let him connect with it any longer. A cold box was a great way to demonstrate that for me.

He walks up that giant concrete staircase at night to his depressing life with his mentally ill mother in a tiny apartment near the opening of the story. As he begins to lose his grip and cross the schizoid barrier into full on psychosis he descends the stairs, in full daylight, in a frolic and dance, finally running from those that want to cage him again. I enjoyed that touch. He is 'free', off his medication and fully embraced his delusions. The movie felt like a cross section of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' and 'Taxi Driver'.

Finally, I agree with MrHoneycutt in that I believe this movie is difficult to process for some because it holds a mirror up to where we are as a society in regards specifically to mental health (let me be specific, severe mental health issues). When the most marginalized and disenfranchised get stepped on and ignored for too long that energy has to go somewhere. This, as one possible ending, feels familiar and not so fictionalized.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,747

Post#1245 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:Joker:

Spoiler:
I'm going to throw a bunch of stuff at the wall and see what resonates with anyone else. Hard to say 'loved' after watching a movie with that narrative but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Joaquin Phoenix was incredible. The laugh/cry/cough when confronted with an affecting interaction (woman on the bus, guys on the train, his first stand-up set) worked perfectly for me. I was uncomfortable as a viewer and I want nothing more from art than to feel that at appropriate times. Develops perspective, objectivity, empathy; ultimately my consciousness grows because of it.

I love how he empties the refrigerator and enters it. I'm guessing he wants to isolate and feel something. He must have overwhelming shame and grief and his defenses will not let him connect with it any longer. A cold box was a great way to demonstrate that for me.

He walks up that giant concrete staircase at night to his depressing life with his mentally ill mother in a tiny apartment near the opening of the story. As he begins to lose his grip and cross the schizoid barrier into full on psychosis he descends the stairs, in full daylight, in a frolic and dance, finally running from those that want to cage him again. I enjoyed that touch. He is 'free', off his medication and fully embraced his delusions. The movie felt like a cross section of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest' and 'Taxi Driver'.

Finally, I agree with MrHoneycutt in that I believe this movie is difficult to process for some because it holds a mirror up to where we are as a society in regards specifically to mental health (let me be specific, severe mental health issues). When the most marginalized and disenfranchised get stepped on and ignored for too long that energy has to go somewhere. This, as one possible ending, feels familiar and not so fictionalized.

I thought a gritty and serious take on the Joker was pretty silly, but not worth commenting on. To each their own. SNL’s response/spoof with the gritty and serious “Oscar the Grouch” preview was the perfect response.

I would totally watch that Oscar movie, by the way.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,144

Post#1246 » by DingleJerry » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:50 pm

tydett wrote:
DingleJerry wrote:
DanoMac wrote:
I'm a Danny McBride stan but yeah it's really good, granted I'm only on ep 4

I love it. Also a huge Mcbride fan so I'm biased. It's over the top a bit, just like Eastbound was, but it's very good dumb entertainment

Echoing this. For the non-religious crowd, it's quite astounding how much like some actual "devout" religious folks the show's character writing approximates. It might offend, but it doesn't make them caricatures.

I just watched the finale episode last night and I thought it was the best one yet. Just some hilarious stuff in there.

Also thought the Succession finale was great. Reminds me of Billions in how they kind of just reset the show going forward. I actually didn't see that coming. But my gut right away is that Logan is on it, as I think about after I think I'm wrong but I guess we'll see.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Post#1247 » by chonestown » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:36 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Robert Forster's last role. He passed away today.

Holy ****. He was so good in Jackie Brown.

Him and Pam put on two of my favorite performances ever in that. Jackie Brown is one of those ageless movies. Man, do I wish QT did more "quiet" movies.

Medium Cool is worth checking out as well. Splits the difference between documentary and drama and Foster has this young cocksuredness a million miles removed from Max Cherry.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,356

Post#1248 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:18 am

Saw Joker yesterday. JP was fantastic. Well done.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#1249 » by HaroldinGMinor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:23 am

The Florida episode of Big Mouth had me rolling. What a taint of a state.
MrHoneycutt
Starter
And1: 2,443

Post#1250 » by MrHoneycutt » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:24 am

Iheartfootball wrote:Joker:

Spoiler:

Pursuant to this, if anyone has the time, this is a very well-written article that details much of the psychological aspects behind the Joker (some spoilers therein): https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/10/joker-joaquin-phoenix-psychology. The neurologist (correctly, I feel) hits on a lot of the diagnostic set of the Joker as portrayed in the film, along with the bi-directional influences of poverty, trauma, etc.

Succession season 2...wow. What a show. I was a fan of season 1, though it took a while to get going. I thought the writing in season 2 was superb.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,977

Post#1251 » by humanrefutation » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:38 am

Saw Joker tonight. My thoughts:

Spoiler:
About halfway into the movie, I was leaning towards not liking it. Thought it was a bit too slow, way too overwrought, and frankly wasn't especially interesting.

And then he killed those guys on the train.

From that moment going forward, it was absolutely engrossing. The depictions of mental illness - particularly the spiral downwards with his hallucinations - his interactions with Alfred and the Waynes, his discovery of his mother's severe mental illness and abusive past, the discovery that he was imagining his relationship with Zazie Beetz, all the way through his murder of Murray Franklin...it was just so much to process and I couldn't pull my eyes away. Adding in the class warfare elements to it was an excellent choice, IMO.

I hope this isn't the last time we see this Joker. I want this to be an origin story that leads to his appearance in future Batman films.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1252 » by emunney » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:42 am

I demand a Superman movie where Superman gets bored. Whenever I think about Superman I always think about how defeating evil must feel like laundry to him.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,720

Post#1253 » by jimmybones » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:58 am

KidA24 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:Any fans of the podcast The Dollop? They are in Madison and Milwaukee next weekend, I’m going to the Madison show next Friday. Can’t wait!

Big fan. Going to the MKE show on Sunday. Will be my 4th live one (2 in Chicago and one previous in MKE).

Excited.

How was it?! What was the topic?

Dude. Friday was epic. I made some memes relating to the podcast and I printed them off and took them to the show. I got to meet and greet the guys after the show and I showed them the memes and they loved them and signed them for me.

When I walked up to them with printed out memes in a Manila folder I said “ok, this is probably going to be the dorkiest thing you’ve ever heard but I’m a huge fan and I’m in a Facebook fan group where I made some memes and I’d be thrilled if you just look at them and maybe sign a few”

Gareth said they were great and to send them to him on Instagram. Gareth replies “dude these are so good hahahah” and that he showed Dave and they are going to post one and give me credit. I am a massive fan so I’m geeking out about this.

My Instagram is jekfit if you’d like to peep that.

Spoiler:

“When you try to play it off like your memes are important documents.”

Spotted cow

crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1254 » by crkone » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Because I'm a terrible dad and I know she'll watch them anyway, I'm watching horror movies with my 6th grader. Started with The Shining, Cabin in the Woods, the OG Friday the 13th, Drag Me to Hell, and started Little Shop of Horrors to lighten the mood. She loved The Shining and Cabin in the Woods, was bored with Friday the 13th except the scene in the boat (lol), hated the ending from Drag Me to Hell, and is loving Little Shop of Horrors. I might do Let The Right One In next but since it's in Swedish I don't know how it will go over.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,760

Post#1255 » by HaroldinGMinor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:22 pm

crkone wrote:Because I'm a terrible dad and I know she'll watch them anyway, I'm watching horror movies with my 6th grader. Started with The Shining, Cabin in the Woods, the OG Friday the 13th, Drag Me to Hell, and started Little Shop of Horrors to lighten the mood. She loved The Shining and Cabin in the Woods, was bored with Friday the 13th except the scene in the boat (lol), hated the ending from Drag Me to Hell, and is loving Little Shop of Horrors. I might do Let The Right One In next but since it's in Swedish I don't know how it will go over.

Babadook might be a good one....It Follows too.

Re: Let the Right One In. Maybe show the American remake (Let Me In)?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,012

Post#1256 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Watchmen came out swinging with an excellent pilot.
emunney
RealGM

Post#1257 » by emunney » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:03 pm

I am baffled but excited that a new season of The End of the F****** World is coming out in a couple weeks.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,012

Post#1258 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:13 pm

emunney wrote:I am baffled but excited that a new season of The End of the F****** World is coming out in a couple weeks.

Is it getting a completely new cast or something?
emunney
RealGM

Post#1259 » by emunney » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:16 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
emunney wrote:I am baffled but excited that a new season of The End of the F****** World is coming out in a couple weeks.

Is it getting a completely new cast or something?

Nope.
KidA24
General Manager
And1: 7,278

Post#1260 » by KidA24 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:31 pm

jimmybones wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:Any fans of the podcast The Dollop? They are in Madison and Milwaukee next weekend, I’m going to the Madison show next Friday. Can’t wait!

Big fan. Going to the MKE show on Sunday. Will be my 4th live one (2 in Chicago and one previous in MKE).

Excited.

How was it?! What was the topic?

Dude. Friday was epic. I made some memes relating to the podcast and I printed them off and took them to the show. I got to meet and greet the guys after the show and I showed them the memes and they loved them and signed them for me.

When I walked up to them with printed out memes in a Manila folder I said “ok, this is probably going to be the dorkiest thing you’ve ever heard but I’m a huge fan and I’m in a Facebook fan group where I made some memes and I’d be thrilled if you just look at them and maybe sign a few”

Gareth said they were great and to send them to him on Instagram. Gareth replies “dude these are so good hahahah” and that he showed Dave and they are going to post one and give me credit. I am a massive fan so I’m geeking out about this.

My Instagram is jekfit if you’d like to peep that.

It was a blast. They covered the Milwaukee "Bridge Wars" between Kilbourntown and Junotown back in 1845.
Amos Barshad: "So you got a job, a place to live, a license? What’s left?"

Giannis: “Nothing. Just get a ring now.”

Return to Milwaukee Bucks