Ja Morant is really impressive

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

SOdisciple
Junior
And1: 856

Re: Ja Morant is really impressive 

Post#41 » by SOdisciple » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:19 pm

Prime D.Rose was just freaky looking when he started attacking the rim. Ja appears to be quick and fast but not on that level.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,749

Post#42 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:26 pm

I still have my reservations about him. I dont think he is a bad prospect, dont think he is a top 5 pick caliber prospect. We so far have only seen him play 1 true preseason game and he shot horrible from the field against a horrible Hornets team. The dude is a fantastic athlete no doubt, just curious how he is going to score consistently in the half court at an efficient enough rate to make up for his defense.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,287

Post#43 » by Dacost » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:03 am

JonFromVA wrote:Ja shot 4 for 13 in the game including 0 for 2 on 3pters, 1 reb, 0 stl, 0 blk, 6 ast, 2 tov in a 21pt loss to the Hornets.

I'm thinking his hype train could have stayed in the station a bit longer ...

Rookie PG playing FIRST ever NBA game and with a rebuilding team.

We will see some UGLY games from Ja and the Grizzlies ....this year is all developing.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,381

Post#44 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:16 am

Will be the 3rd best player of the draft
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,881

Post#45 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:48 am

Darius Garland is better.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,814

Post#46 » by jehosafats » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:48 am

Zion >>> Rui >>> Ja
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Post#47 » by spicy6 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 am

D3ko wrote:I know that the question is going to be kind of silly, but , if you were Memphis and JA achieves John Wall , Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook kind of carreer, would you trade him before the big contract or would you pay the max no matter what!?

Knowing what kind of play they have, odds of injuries and the max contract that the other pg have!

in other words

Would you be happy being Memphis having the success that Washington has had with Wall carreer!

Westbrook is a top 40 player of all time, an MVP, scoring/assist champ, once in a generation player, why would memphis trade him if hes on the path over achieving something like that? And also theres a big difference between russ and guys like wall and rose. Theyre two separate career comparisons entirely.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,823

Post#48 » by HotelVitale » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I still have my reservations about him. I dont think he is a bad prospect, dont think he is a top 5 pick caliber prospect. We so far have only seen him play 1 true preseason game and he shot horrible from the field against a horrible Hornets team. The dude is a fantastic athlete no doubt, just curious how he is going to score consistently in the half court at an efficient enough rate to make up for his defense.

Didn't want to be the first one to say it--and I'm warmer on him than you seem to be--but I could never see why folks thought he was a killer prospect. Looks like one of those guys who could go either way, doesn't have the power or pure quickness/athleticism to be good if he doesn't develop well and he's right at the danger zone of players who has good awareness and raw ability but whose game might not translate into efficient play in the NBA. I thought his nice athleticism, handle, motor, and control of tempo made him a totally deserving #2 pick, but I still think he could be a pretty mediocre when all is said and done; even if his tools are a little ahead of most younger prospects, overall he's in the same boat as 90% of prospects who need to become great decision-makers and master a mountain of little things to become good NBA players, and I feel like people were treating him as some kind of mega-prospect.
GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,316

Post#49 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 am

He could either turn out like Chris Paul or Deron Williams. Will take some time
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#50 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:44 am

The Grizz have made 2 great draft selections consecutively. Jackson Jr, and Morant, both very promising players.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#51 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:51 pm

SOdisciple wrote:Prime D.Rose was just freaky looking when he started attacking the rim. Ja appears to be quick and fast but not on that level.

i hear your take but the main difference is Morant is looking to make the best play not attack the rim with reckless abandon.
both are elite level explosive athletes (rose was)
ja does not have any limitations in that dept.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#52 » by VCfor3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm a bit worried about Ja being able to finish through contact. That may be less of a problem once he puts on more muscle, but was just something he seems to have struggled with so far. Shooting and defense are the other big issues.

Ja is doing most of the work on the offensive end currently and looked a little gassed at times during the Charlotte game. Hopefully conditioning (Ja's injury limited him a bit this summer), JJJ not having a bad game/staying out of foul trouble, and finding someone to help take some of the offensive load off him will let him have more energy for the defensive end.

His vision/passing is crazy and he's displayed a few nice dribble moves. He currently seems to be looking for the next highlight pass though instead of his own shot, but the coaching staff can slowly work on that over the season. Not the worst problem to have when he keeps finding open guys but he still needs to have a respectable shooting game and take open shots.

For a rookie PG, he seems to have kept his turnovers down fairly well though that may change against NBA competition. It'll be interesting to see how he develops this season.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,402

Post#53 » by JonFromVA » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Darius Garland is better.

Quite possible. He's looked very good for a guy who's played 5 games in the past year.

But hey, if we're only judging by a single pre-season game ... Carson Edwards is better than all of them.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,612

Post#54 » by JayMKE » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Rose was on another level when it came to explosiveness and finishing, Ja looks smaller with maybe better handles.
FREE GIANNIS
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#55 » by ruffian253 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Dont see the Rose comparisons, more like John Wall due to his speed. The one thing that may stunt Ja is the high expectations of being #2 drafted player and that he will be playing against the best of the best 1s and 2s in the league every night being in the Western Conf. Then again, being on Memphis may actually benefit him due to low expectations and media coverage, so he may be an after thought except for the occasional highlight dunks.

Somebody mentioned D. Russel, but D. Russel became the player he is today when he moved to the Eastern conference, but i dont see him continuing that level of play this year. Now if he would've been drafted onto an Eastern Conference team, i couldve seen him as a potential all star by year 2 or year 3, but since he is in the West, he wont be sniffing all-star for anoth
er 5-6 years
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#56 » by vagelis » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:48 am

Ja Morant with a big performance tonight.
30pts, 9 ast
This kid seems really good

Return to The General Board