Re: Welcome Jonah Bolden 

Post#401 » by Kobblehead » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:42 pm

Were they playing Jock Landale at PF?
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#402 » by Negrodamus » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:21 pm

It seems Australian fans are blowing their load over the FIBA World Cup and not taking the long view of the Olympics. I'd be more concerned about alienating NBA players that could help on a bigger stage than something that is really an afterthought. Perhaps my perspective is skewed from an American POV where I don't even think of the FIBA World Cup.
moistie
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#403 » by moistie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:01 am

Negrodamus wrote:It seems Australian fans are blowing their load over the FIBA World Cup and not taking the long view of the Olympics. I'd be more concerned about alienating NBA players that could help on a bigger stage than something that is really an afterthought. Perhaps my perspective is skewed from an American POV where I don't even think of the FIBA World Cup.
The trouble is, if Australia do not do well enough at the World Cup they may not qualify for the Olympics.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#404 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:21 am

moistie wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:It seems Australian fans are blowing their load over the FIBA World Cup and not taking the long view of the Olympics. I'd be more concerned about alienating NBA players that could help on a bigger stage than something that is really an afterthought. Perhaps my perspective is skewed from an American POV where I don't even think of the FIBA World Cup.
The trouble is, if Australia do not do well enough at the World Cup they may not qualify for the Olympics.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

They're ranked like 20 spots higher than everyone in their zone. They could qualify with just Delly, his siblings and extended family.
Babylove
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#405 » by Babylove » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:45 am

I don’t think Australian fans mind that he’s pulled out, but they’ve got a problem with the how, when and why. People were disappointed when Simmons pulled out because he didn’t think he could do two offseason in a row with the Boomers and wanted to prioritise the Olympics, but no one was really angry about it. With Jonah, he pulled out half way through our World Cup preparation reportedly because he spat the dummy with the coach over his role within the team and the amount of minutes he was getting in games where Andrej Lemanis was clearly testing out combinations.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,540

Post#406 » by jpengland » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:21 pm

Philly are one of the teams I watch most closely of late.

Bolden looks primed for a breakout year and to become a solid rotation piece from what I have seen. Do Philly fans feel the same way?

He has what looks to be a good three ball, runs the floor well, switches well and can offer a little rim protection. He looked to me like once the game slows down for him, he could be a legitimately hood NBA player.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#407 » by LloydFree » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 pm

jpengland wrote:Philly are one of the teams I watch most closely of late.

Bolden looks primed for a breakout year and to become a solid rotation piece from what I have seen. Do Philly fans feel the same way?

He has what looks to be a good three ball, runs the floor well, switches well and can offer a little rim protection. He looked to me like once the game slows down for him, he could be a legitimately hood NBA player.

Bolden has a lot of talent, but the Coach doesn't trust him yet. Bolden makes too many mistakes on defense and fouls so much he can't stay on the court when they need him.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#408 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:53 am

jpengland wrote:Philly are one of the teams I watch most closely of late.

Best case is last year’s serge ibaka.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Monix
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#409 » by Monix » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:54 pm

adopting Horford as a mentor would be Bolden's best bet going forward
smittybanton
Sixth Man
And1: 398

Post#410 » by smittybanton » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:57 pm

we really need jonah bolden with a consistent shot.
we have no one his size who can play out on the wing like he can.
there's an increasing number of big forwards who handle the rock and overpower smaller players when they get a head of steam going.
from lebron, giannis, blake griffin, anthony davis, kevin durant, aaron gordon, pascal siakam ...now zion williamson.
for all the concern about tobias harris guarding threes, he's not especially great at guarding big fours.
up until ten years ago, 6'8 235 shooters were called tweeners who were too slow to play sf and too small to bang with fours. the modern game has opened things up for them.
still, brett brown took tobias off of kawhi immediately after leonard methodically backed tobias under the rim and two hand dunked on him.
consider that in addition to large playermakers, some teams are going big because the numbers are showing that winning the rebounding battle is the single greatest determinant correlating with wins.
kristaps porzingis, lauri markannen, julius randle, zach collins, jonathan isaac. denver was known to play jokic and plumlee together.
along with player movement, different styles and strategies are coming back to the nba, and i love it.
but that also means mike scott off the bench is not enough.
the sixers need a 6'10 defensive forward off the bench who can switch up to a five or put the pressure on a three like jayson tatum, which i've seen bolden do nicely.
as much as ben needs to shoot threes, his aussie buddy desperately needs to smooth out his jimmy, and the Sixers take another step towards world dominance.
not confident it will happen, got my fingers crossed.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#411 » by Kobblehead » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm done with Jonah Bolden. Here's a post I made in another thread:

Jonah Bolden is an interesting, but frustrating case. He's clearly a fantastic defensive talent, but he's too skinny and physically weak to play C, full time. And I'm not sure how much you want a gawky, marginally coordinated 6'10" guy playing the two F positions in 2019.

And I don't know how he randomly hits some of the shots he does, but his overall shooting ability is poor and nonoptimistic, going forward.

I agree, time to move on.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#412 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:31 pm

Wish we could just cut ties and sign Noah, but can't see us dumping a guy on a guaranteed deal. Maybe a rebuilding squad with weak depth would gamble on him for a future 2nd.

Its only preseason, but Jonah is playing as undisciplined as ever right now. Dumb fouls, forced passes, bad shot selection, inconsistent shooting, etc. He still appears to be a country mile away from being reliable.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#413 » by Simmons25 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:57 am

Jonah's biggest issue is he plays like a guy running around with his head cut off. It's like the game is just way too fast for him. I could understand it in Year 1 but he is showing no signs of the game slowing down in his head in Year 2.

I was desperate for Ben to miss the World Cup to work on his shot instead... but thought Jonah was making big mistake by quitting the team just before the World Cup. He is a guy that badly needed game time on the court... not shooting in an open gym and scrimmages.

He has come into camp that scratchy and is so far down the roster now I can't see him still being on the team past December.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#414 » by PhillyPhilly » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:15 am

Why are folks so impatient? Let the kid progress without having unrealistic expectations placed on him. I saw him help us beat Golden State last season by being good on both ends of the floor and I think he'll do well again this season when called upon.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#415 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:27 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Why are folks so impatient? Let the kid progress without having unrealistic expectations placed on him. I saw him help us beat Golden State last season by being good on both ends of the floor and I think he'll do well again this season when called upon.
I'd be more patient if we were still in the collect assets/develop talent phase. We're trying to contend now and Jonah has loads he needs to improve upon. His foul prone tendencies and inconsistent shooting are two key areas that he may never earn Brett's trust on.

Ericb5
RealGM
And1: 3,377

Post#416 » by Ericb5 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:06 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:Why are folks so impatient? Let the kid progress without having unrealistic expectations placed on him. I saw him help us beat Golden State last season by being good on both ends of the floor and I think he'll do well again this season when called upon.
I'd be more patient if we were still in the collect assets/develop talent phase. We're trying to contend now and Jonah has loads he needs to improve upon. His foul prone tendencies and inconsistent shooting are two key areas that he may never earn Brett's trust on.

That's true, but we don't need to give up on him unless we have another better option. If we can use him to trade for a useful role player then so be it, but let him stay a prospect in our system for the time being.

We don't give up on him to simply take a flyer on some other marginal prospect.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#417 » by phillynative » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:15 pm

Whats going on with this guy. Im watching the nets replay and his first game this season. He looks noticibly thinner. I dont get it, did the org tell him to loose weight he was already a naturally thin guy.
He was being bullied by nic claxton who is only about 215. What are they trying to do with because I dont understand?
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#418 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:32 pm

phillynative wrote:Whats going on with this guy. Im watching the nets replay and his first game this season. He looks noticibly thinner. I dont get it, did the org tell him to loose weight he was already a naturally thin guy.
He was being bullied by nic claxton who is only about 215. What are they trying to do with because I dont understand?
I don't think he was getting bullied physically by Claxton so much as he was just getting outplayed by a superior young player.

Bolden plays as if his feet are on fire and the ball is hot lava. He's too wreckless and undisciplined to be trusted with meaningful minutes.

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,682

Post#419 » by phillynative » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:06 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:
phillynative wrote:Whats going on with this guy. Im watching the nets replay and his first game this season. He looks noticibly thinner. I dont get it, did the org tell him to loose weight he was already a naturally thin guy.
I don't think he was getting bullied physically by Claxton so much as he was just getting outplayed by a superior young player.

Bolden plays as if his feet are on fire and the ball is hot lava. He's too wreckless and undisciplined to be trusted with meaningful minutes.

Bolden was getting pushed out of position for rebounds that whole stretch. My eyes dont deceive me as i watched him with intent as to why he went the opposite of building muscle. He now looks like he cant play the 3 or 4 . Where their might have been hope with experience and growth that he can play the stretch 4.

Im a bit dissapointed
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#420 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Philadelphia 76ers