And1: 31,904

Re: 2019 SPURS MEDIA DAY, TRAINING CAMP & PRE-SEASON GAMES 

Post#42 » by G R E Y » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:09 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Highlights:
Read on Twitter

Game (I'll try and find a better quality video):

Photo gallery of the open scrimmage - https://www.nba.com/spurs/gallery/photos-spurs-open-scrimmage-2019
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#43 » by G R E Y » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:57 pm

PRE-SEASON GAME 3: SPURS VS. PELICANS

WHERE: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX

WHEN: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 3pm (CT)
Read on Twitter

GO SPURS GO!!!

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,592

Post#44 » by Baphomet » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:39 pm

Hoping for something more encouraging tonight, especially since it's at a reasonable hour and I can follow it! I know it was just preseason, but the last game left a slightly bitter taste in terms of overall effort levels.

Going to be tough against this hyper talented Pels team so I don't necessarily expect the W, but something less lethargic would be nice.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#45 » by G R E Y » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:40 pm

Baphomet wrote:Hoping for something more encouraging tonight, especially since it's at a reasonable hour and I can follow it! I know it was just preseason, but the last game left a slightly bitter taste in terms of overall effort levels.

Going to be tough against this hyper talented Pels team so I don't necessarily expect the W, but something less lethargic would be nice.

Couldn't see this game, but it looks as if we held our own in the first half, but then a big swing from the end of the second to the end of the third, this without Rudy and LMA playing at all, and DeMar out for the rest of the game after he got the wind knocked out of him in the second half. So basically we were without our top three leading scorers. Lots of extra focus on D, then, and I wish I could have seen how we looked on that end. Trey got some nice compliments from Pop, so I hope to see how he plays, and how the new line-ups are looking.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#46 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 pm

PRE-SEASON GAME 4: SPURS AT ROCKETS

WHERE: Toyota Center, Houston, TX

WHEN: Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 7pm (CT)

Read on Twitter

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#47 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#48 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#49 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:32 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#50 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:22 am

The highlight:
Read on Twitter

Team highlights, and these don't even have the biggest ones:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#51 » by G R E Y » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:19 am

Well now. The kids are all right. Actually, they're looking great.

Dejounte is, as we've known, a bulldog on defense, but it was so good to see it again, and with some fire to boot - great foot movement and body balance recovery to stay with his man and it was great to see ball handlers forced into passing it out or being surprised they got contested or blocked. His shot selection, confidence in it, and body balance when shooting are much improved. And his court awareness (taking advantage of the best opportunities available for the team) and decision making in getting others involved while looking for his were impressive. Really nice soft rim touch in his shot, too. He has the same intensity, but is more mature and leads in a way that team mates trust him.

Lonnie made quick decisions with the ball, and didn't over handle it. I thought this would be a challenge for him because he handled it a lot looking for his shot in SL, but there were no signs of it. His shot was a bit hard, several bounces off the rim, but he took good ones. Most impressive was his defense and consistent dedication to it - moving his feet, staying low and disciplined, active hands, fighting over screens, sticking with the driver to block some shots.

The forearm pushoffs into theirs chests were blatant, but these didn't deter them from staying with D fundamentals.

Jakob makes decisions far more quickly, and knows what to do and where to be with and without the ball. Really smart player - good passes to backdoor cutters, making cuts, solid P&R especially with Derrick, good positioning for blocks. At times he gives up too much space and is late in contesting, but a lot of bigs have the space on switches issue; get too close and they're often blown by. Still, some faster reaction time to shots would help. Really soft hands around the rim, and has a nose for rebounds. Much better FT shooting. His form looks adjusted, with the ball closer to his head and smooth shorter (I think) release point. Just looking far more confident and assertive.

Derrick's defensive awareness impacts the game each time he's on the floor. There's no drop off when the second unit comes in in terms of PG defense. Good to see his shot variety and their going in.

Metu. He went from a raw pogo stick rebounder with slightly erratic body balance to a player with more range on his J, and really fundamentally solid and quick foot work to get great position on post ups and making some hooks shots, too.

Luka didn't play a lot but was positioned well for an O rebound putback, and hit a textbook 3 without hesitation. He was blown by on defense a couple of times, so faster footwork and maybe core (his body tended to twist before his feet followed and with a couple of steps he was out of position to defend and recover). These will come with time.

Keldon is a firecracker of energy. Loved his physical drives to the basket and O rebound putback. Right place, right play, tenacious.

Our two new guys actually showed opposite of what I'd expected. Carroll looks a bit heavy footed, and bobbled the ball for turnovers. Not his best night, but it's just one game, and I hope his desire and execution match up. Trey recovered well defensively a couple of times for some solid shot contests and blocks.

LMA - feasted all game. I love it when his J is so automatic, and with DJ and Lonnie feeding him, he got whatever he wanted. I think he'll be happy in the O system this season. More threats, better space, and faster decisions.

It was interesting to see our team score without DeMar and Rudy playing tonight, because they had to step up, and each did in his way, showing some improvement in their individual games, but also in the dedication to the system.

That's not to say we don't need our vets. Patty's presence with the young guys later in the game helped steer them away from that tendency of movement or passing without purpose that results in a rushed end-of-clock shot. LMA the cog, of course too, and even Beli doing his Tower of Pisa shots as well.

We have a variety of styles we can play and the defense is far more cohesive. Loved what the young guys and the team showed tonight.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#52 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:54 pm

I watched the highlights of Murray. They were very impressive. His length is a real issue for players.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,592

Post#53 » by Baphomet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Murray is going to be special. It's easy to forget he was an all-defensive level player before his injury, but his offence is starting to look the part as well, so soon after such a bad injury too. I'll try to temper my expectations while he continues to get back into 17/18 shape, but the sky's the limit for him. I believe the ceiling of this team largely hinges on his ability to take his game to the next level. However, it looks like we're in good hands with him, Derrick, Poeltl, Lonnie, Bryn, Keldon and Luka going forward when LMA and Demar hit their declines proper, which hopefully won't be just yet. So many guys who play the game the right way.

I think working with Duncan will help Metu a lot, both in terms of technique but also mentally (I feel like he's a touch 'over enthusiastic' at times). He has all the tools to be a good defender in the NBA.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#54 » by G R E Y » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:54 pm

PRE-SEASON GAME 5: SPURS VS. GRIZZLIES

WHERE: AT&T Center, San Antonio, TX

WHEN: Friday, October 18, 2019, 7:30pm (CT)

Read on Twitter

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#55 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:23 am

Read on Twitter

EDIT: DeMar starting instead of Lonnie
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#56 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:42 am

I've been harsh about Trey, mostly based on his reputation, so in fairness of balancing things out now:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#57 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:52 am

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

DeMar has hit a top of arc 3. I repeat, DeMar has hit a 3.

EDIT: And another one. What parallel DeMar taking and hitting 3s world is this?!

EDIT AGAIN: And a third... woah...

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#58 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:44 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Highlights:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#59 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am

I love this photo so much. Timmy's grab. Luka's face. Welcome to the league, rook, and to Timmy hands-on approach to coaching:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#60 » by G R E Y » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:50 am

There's something to games versus this particular opponent where trying to score is like trying to run through quicksand. And there's something to games where we shoot the 3 really well and so of course all other shots, including, bizarrely FTs, take a nose dive. Lots of front rim and back rim shots.

Coinciding with the latter, we had lopsided scoring from the starters with Dejounte and Trey combining for one (!) point and the other three in double figures. Our main guys LMA, DeMar, and Rudy did what they do, with LMA stuffing stats and DeMar going 3-3 from 3 (this appeals to my yearning for balance and DeMar implementing it more). Plus he led the team in assists. Rough shooting night for many players, but we had a deep bench effort to balance that out.

The effort is there for Dejounte. It's a matter of consistency for him now. He won't always be able to put up what he did last game, and of course he helps the team in many other ways, but if he raises the bottom in scoring (he had only 3 attempts) it will go a long way to a successful season for him and for the team. Derrick's shot was once again MIA though he contributed across the board in just about every other way. We need both to score more while they do all else they already are.

I felt Trey was given some chances to work out kinks from missing time due to illness, and thought he tried to do too much with the ball. Both his behind the back dribbles and Js were deliberate, like he was guiding the movements and shots. It'll come with time, and I appreciate his trying to get more involved and contribute offensively, but he needs more reps and seasoning so it all becomes more automatic.

Carroll is a 3 and D guy, and he had some nice passes for 3 assists, but 3 TOs in 11 minutes was rough. He bobbles the ball when he dribbles, and sometimes holds on to it a bit too much. He's trying to get into his rhythm but it has to be within our system. He made a good D play by stripping the ball but proceeded to dribble down the court as Spurs ran the fast break spreading the court waiting for the pass that didn't come. We scored on that play, but it was more difficult than it needed to be.

Hopefully we get more downhill quick points in transition. Lonnie not being out there with DJ stifled that a bit. I had hoped we'd see more of Lonnie but since he started last game, DeMar and our go-to vets were primary this game. Lonnie is showing he belongs. Good decisions about what to do with the ball, faster acting on them, and he's got that confidence that he could do almost anything he wants out there. You get the sense he's a stallion pushing at the gate raring to go. It's up to him to make Pop play him.

Patty and Rudy had good games to steady the ship. We had a hard time getting points inside against their lanky limbed forwards, so the outside shot needed to be there and we had enough players hitting them, especially from the 3.

Metu with sweet footwork for points inside and great positioning for an O reb putback stood out.

I like that we have a variety of options and styles available to score. Lots of turnovers tonight so missed chances from a some sometimes out of sync O (we had long scoring droughts and it looked at times like a comedy of errors with alternating TOs and missed shots), but we don't have to over-rely on one or two guys, though they're great to have as go-to cogs. I love that we are noticeably better defensively and though we have to be mindful of opponent end of quarter execution, we still overall showed great help D recognition, had good rotations, rebounding positioning, active hands for strips of the ball, and blocks. We found a way to push through and continue some good momentum going into the season.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs