ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Official Media Day & Training Camp Thread (TODAY @ 10 AM)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptors_128
Analyst
And1: 3,275

Re: 2019 Official Media Day & Training Camp Thread (TODAY @ 10 AM) 

Post#421 » by Raptors_128 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:39 am

djsunyc wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:
SurgeIblocka wrote:
So OG, Norm and David all playing SG? Who the heck is playing SF. Is Nurse planning to give Pascal more time playing SF than PF? I don’t think this will end well if he does. We need to find a decent SF, I thought OG could be that but Nurse thinking he’s more of a SG has me worried.

It won't be a regular thing. Nurse just doing his mad scientist thing. He's looking down the road to a potential philly matchup and realizing he is going to need size.

OG is our best perimeter defender and is the guy who can guard 1-5 keeping him on the floor during our Ultra big lineup keeps it flexible.

if og was healthy last playoffs, i don't think philly takes us to 7.

If our bench played even remotely average in that series, we win in 5. Fred was basically unplayable, Norm was awful, and Serge was very mediocre.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#422 » by everdiso » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:55 am

SurgeIblocka wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

So OG, Norm and David all playing SG? Who the heck is playing SF. Is Nurse planning to give Pascal more time playing SF than PF? I don’t think this will end well if he does. We need to find a decent SF, I thought OG could be that but Nurse thinking he’s more of a SG has me worried.

Yes we're going to see lots of a Gasol-Ibaka-Siakam frontcourt, as we should, given they're 3 of our best 5 players.

I don't see any big problem there - Siakam can definitely defend the 3, while both he and Gasol like to initiate offense from the perimeter, with only Ibaka limited to mostly an inside game offensively.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,778
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#423 » by Boogie! » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:12 am

Raptors_128 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
S.W.A.N wrote:
It won't be a regular thing. Nurse just doing his mad scientist thing. He's looking down the road to a potential philly matchup and realizing he is going to need size.

OG is our best perimeter defender and is the guy who can guard 1-5 keeping him on the floor during our Ultra big lineup keeps it flexible.

if og was healthy last playoffs, i don't think philly takes us to 7.

If our bench played even remotely average in that series, we win in 5. Fred was basically unplayable, Norm was awful, and Serge was very mediocre.

Nurses fault for playing fvv and not going with an alternate option. Could've gone big sooner or played norm at pg. Norm wasn't awful he just didn't get an opportunity. People keep avting like og is some huge difference maker, he's absolutely not. We were better without having to give him minutes.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
navyblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,612

Post#424 » by navyblue » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:01 pm

the 15 as things seem to stand right now

Lowry - FVV
Norm - McCaw - Davis - Thomas
OG - Stanley - Miller
Pasacal - RHJ - Boucher
Gasol - Ibaka - Hernandez
bobbyp3588
Senior
And1: 488

Post#425 » by bobbyp3588 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:28 pm

navyblue wrote:the 15 as things seem to stand right now

Lowry - FVV
OG - Stanley - Miller
Pasacal - RHJ - Boucher

Stan, in particular and RHJ have been very disappointing. I don't see many minutes available for them unless they start putting in the work.

To start the season...

Lowry - FVV
Norm - McCaw/Davis/Thomas (depending on match-ups/hot hand)
OG - Pascal - Miller
Pascal - Serge - Boucher
Marc - Serge - Hernandez

Stanimal playing useful heavy minutes at the 3 would obviously be great, same with Rondae at the 4... but if they've not bought in and aren't putting in the work then it sounds like they won't be seeing much floor time...
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,255

Post#426 » by Raptorfan2012 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:44 pm

navyblue wrote:the 15 as things seem to stand right now

Lowry - FVV
OG - Stanley - Miller
Pasacal - RHJ - Boucher

I am thinking more McCaw being the third PG, and Thomas being Norm's back up. Davis will probably be sent to the 905 for now, but he could potentially switch with Thomas depending on the need (Thomas for offence, Davis for defense). Miller may be the first off the bench for OG actually if Stanley continues to suck.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#427 » by Boogie! » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Lol at mccaw getting starts? See wtf... Mccaw is so **** I can't believe he's gonna be stealing time from norm.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#428 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:54 pm

Boogie! wrote:Lol at mccaw getting starts? See wtf... Mccaw is so **** I can't believe he's gonna be stealing time from norm.

Sorry if I missed the news, but how is McCaw starting? I thought he was hurt and actually going to miss the game.

Read on Twitter
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#429 » by Boogie! » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Dalek wrote:
Boogie! wrote:Lol at mccaw getting starts? See wtf... Mccaw is so **** I can't believe he's gonna be stealing time from norm.

Sorry if I missed the news, but how is McCaw starting? I thought he was hurt and actually going to miss the game.

Read on Twitter

Not tonight specifically i was responding to a post which referenced that nurse was gonna mix up his starters throughout the season.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#430 » by Dalek » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:15 pm

Boogie! wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Read on Twitter

Not tonight specifically i was responding to a post which referenced that nurse was gonna mix up his starters throughout the season.

And on cue Nick Nurse starts Fred VanVleet with Lowry in the backcourt. I think he likes to keep things fluid. I could see McCaw getting the odd start if he strings together some good games. However, if Norm or Fred are performing, I don't see why they would need him to start.

You have to also factor in load management. Lowry and other starters are going to rest, it might open space for McCaw. Even Powell might rest on occasion since he hasn't really played big minutes before.
Boogie!
RealGM

Post#431 » by Boogie! » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Dalek wrote:
Boogie! wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Read on Twitter

And on cue Nick Nurse starts Fred VanVleet with Lowry in the backcourt. I think he likes to keep things fluid. I could see McCaw getting the odd start if he strings together some good games. However, if Norm or Fred are performing, I don't see why they would need him to start.

You have to also factor in load management. Lowry and other starters are going to rest, it might open space for McCaw. Even Powell might rest on occasion since he hasn't really played big minutes before.

Resting a player because he's never played big minutes before in the prime of his career is a strategy that has literally never been used before unless that player is injured.

Return to Toronto Raptors